• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I should let someone else answer that one.
KuGsj.gif

I'm not even trying to be shady
The seats look like they'd get a really god view so they must be decent, is it a weird stadium or something? Because there were people standing at the top
I get that she may not have packed out the house but to have THAT much space seems way to low for someone like Rih

Mumei

Did Britney's new single actually get no promo? On the radio this morning it was mentioned that there had been hundreds of thousands of dollars in promo for her and that her failure to sell out her first block of Las Vegas shows (3/16 were, I think) immediately was seen as a big disappointment.

Do we demarcate between single promo and general 'I'm having a comeback' promo? I'm not sure how this works; someone explain it to me.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Did Britney's new single actually get no promo? On the radio this morning it was mentioned that there had been hundreds of thousands of dollars in promo for her and that her failure to sell out her first block of Las Vegas shows (3/16 were, I think) immediately was seen as a big disappointment.

Do we demarcate between single promo and general 'I'm having a comeback' promo? I'm not sure how this works; someone explain it to me.

She has had promo. Don't believe the delusions.

For an example of "no promo" we can all look at Royals and/or Summertime Sadness (in the US). These two songs only got big through radio, nothing else.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

They had a big countdown timer for her return, she was booked into various interviews and she had her GMA appearance where she got 1300 people out into the middle of the desert in the early hours of the morning to make a giant picture of her residency announcement.

Her promo has been directed at the residency, which her label obviously see as more important than her single's performance, all though anything she does would promote both

It wouldn't surprise me if her bit in the desert cost a pretty penny. Shuttling that many people out into the middle of nowhere and setting everything up can't of been cheap.
She really should have done a performance

Phreaker

Did Britney's new single actually get no promo?

She was on GMA and supposedly she spent a shit ton bussing over 1,000 people out to the middle of the desert to say she was performing in Vegas and got back in ha car. or something like that. Plus she's been making the rounds (E! had an interview with her asking what she does to celebrate a #1 song, ki)

I don't wish her to do badly and I own WB, but the shit flug at Gaga for Applause's performance and the claims of how Britney was going to save us has given me a good chuckle.

Mumei

....because it is. At least the other shows try to be about making stars..... even if they fail most of the time.

The Voice has a generally higher average bar of talent, though I think Idol has higher peaks. X-Factor is 99% filth. And X-Factor seems nearly as bad when it comes to making the judges the focus at the expense of the contestants.

She has had promo. Don't believe the delusions.

For an example of "no promo" we can all look at Royals and/or Summertime Sadness (in the US). These two songs only got big through radio, nothing else.

Wasn't Summertime Sadness featured in a movie or was that a different Lana song? And speaking of that song, I heard it on the radio and... I ... liked... it.

There, I said it.

The Voice has a generally higher average bar of talent, though I think Idol has higher peaks. X-Factor is 99% filth. And X-Factor seems nearly as bad when it comes to making the judges the focus at the expense of the contestants.

Eh. I think X Factor has plenty of talent.

Where it loses me is the live rounds. After all the great auditions and bootcamp performances they focus so much on the styling, dancing, staging, etc that the actually singing feels like an afterthought. For the X Factor it is all about marketing.

The Voice has the exact opposite problem. They bring in all these great singers (Audition stage is 100% fake if no one guessed. Logistically it simply would never work without them manipulating it heavily.) Then they put ZERO effort into making them interesting or marketable. Hell, the show barely pays attention to its own contestants and would rather focus on the relationships of the 4 current Paula Abdul clones that they hired as judges.

Idol falls in the middle. Which is why even their "Flop" winners sell more than all The Voice winners combined.

Artemisia

Banned
The bar for 'star quality' on the X factor is so embarrassingly low. Forget about raw talent, pretty much all of the contestants have absolutely no idea what kind of artist they want to be or what they are good at, something that matters a lot when you want to be successful. So you usually end up watching shitty reductions of popular artists' performances. Which wouldn't be that offensive if the judges wouldn't go off praising these contestants, telling them they are going to be huge only for them to not even make it to the end of the show, let alone release solo material.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Wasn't Summertime Sadness featured in a movie or was that a different Lana song? And speaking of that song, I heard it on the radio and... I ... liked... it.

There, I said it.

Now listen her entire album and Paradise EP

SaintZ

There, I said it.
You're thinking of Young & Beautiful. Summertime Sadness was released last year in Germany only until Cedric Gervais made a remix and that's it. And yes Mumei, let her IN.

Trigger

There, I said it.

You might be thinking of Young and Beautiful, which got a lot of attention thanks to the Great Gatsby movie.

EDIT- Beaten

Artemisia

Banned
Did the remix start slaying only because her team sent that remix to radio? Or did the DJs play that because they thought it was better than the original?

The bar for 'star quality' on the X factor is so embarrassingly low. Forget about raw talent, pretty much all of the contestants have absolutely no idea what kind of artist they want to be or what they are good at, something that matters a lot when you want to be successful. So you usually end up watching shitty reductions of popular artists' performances. Which wouldn't be that offensive if the judges wouldn't go off praising these contestants, telling them they are going to be huge only for them to not even make it to the end of the show, let alone release solo material.

I don't agree at all. I think "knowing who you are" as an artist is a manufactured concept of reality singing shows that has no evidence to back it up. Who can REALLY know who they are musically before they have had the chance to really sit down and work on an album? If you look back at the early seasons of Idol contestants were ALL OVER the place musically. They were not required to top of every song with 10 layers of themselves to prove how much they "know who they are as an artist", and they all turned out just fine.

SaintZ

Did the remix start slaying only because her team sent that remix to radio? Or did the DJs play that because they thought it was better than the original?
The Summertime Sadness remix has been the only Lana song Interscope has sent to radio. And goodbye the remix is average at best. The original remains flawless.

I do like the Cedric Gervais remix of Y&B tho.

Aguila

#ICONIC

There, I said it.

You liked the remix... Mumei, sis. The original is 100x better. But stan, I guess.

Edit: o wait, you mean Y&B.

The remix is obviously more radio friendly.

Zutroy

I think that's just stans trying to use this as a negative against Britney, when the only official word so far is that they're pleased with sales. Sales for these types of shows usually happen on the day or within a week or two by tourists when they have their plans set. If you look up Celine or Shania, not a single date of theirs is sold out either. Plus when reviews come out it will only boost sales further (assuming they are positive).

Vazra

I agree that the remix is shit compared to the original. I was just wondering if things would have been different if her label sent the original to radio.

I think her label was expecting her internet fame to sell her without much effort and while it helps its not the same as them spending money on promo. IMO Lana could have gotten some good chart numbers with Ride, National Anthem and Blue Jeans but we know how her label messed up not sending her content to radio.

Hopefully now they give Lana the proper treatment.

Partition

Banned
Really tired of the "no promo" excuse. Promo can only do so much. If a song doesn't strike a chord with the public, there is nothing "promo" can do about it. Gaga hasn't done promo in 2 weeks yet Applause keeps increasing. There are many songs like Royals and Summertime Sadness which smashed just because of radio and people liking the songs.

You can't throw shit at the wall and expect it to stick. Look at Justink's "Take Back The Night" for example.

Mumei

You liked the remix... Mumei, sis. The original is 100x better. But stan, I guess.

Edit: o wait, you mean Y&B.

No, Summertime Sadness is the song I heard on the radio, but Y&B was the song I was thinking of that was attached to a movie. And does the original vaguely resemble a narcoleptic drone? I'm not sure I'd like it if it does.

I think that's just stans trying to use this as a negative against Britney, when the only official word so far is that they're pleased with sales. Sales for these types of shows usually happen on the day or within a week or two by tourists when they have their plans set. If you look up Celine or Shania, not a single date of theirs is sold out either. Plus when reviews come out it will only boost sales further (assuming they are positive).

Oh, really? They must have had false tea because the person doing the announcing made a comment about Celine and Shania selling out their initial block of performances. Maybe she meant when they first started, though?

I don't agree at all. I think "knowing who you are" as an artist is a manufactured concept of reality singing shows that has no evidence to back it up. Who can REALLY know who they are musically before they have had the chance to really sit down and work on an album? If you look back at the early seasons of Idol contestants were ALL OVER the place musically. They were not required to top of every song with 10 layers of themselves to prove how much they "know who they are as an artist", and they all turned out just fine.

Kelly Clarkson is a great example of this. She sang different stuff each week, and the direction she went as an artist bore no real resemblance to the direction she took on the show. I personally prefer contestants like her (or Adam Lambert, for a male example) who can actually change styles week to week as opposed to contestants who try to force each week's theme into their narrow box.

And speaking of those contestants, I heard Phillip Phillips on the radio. The voice sounded vaguely familiar in that "Every guy with a somewhat gravelly-voice and affected delivery singing songs clearly marked to teenage girls" way, but I couldn't place it until the DJ said who it was.

Yeah, I know. ;)

Eh. I think X Factor has plenty of talent.

Where?

Where it loses me is the live rounds. After all the great auditions and bootcamp performances they focus so much on the styling, dancing, staging, etc that the actually singing feels like an afterthought. For the X Factor it is all about marketing.

It loses me in the lack of perspective. You can't have so many contestants whose "lives are going to change" and "one of the best voices I've ever heard" and blah blah blah. It's the same issue that Idol had with the contestant standing ovations. When everyone's a winner and the greatest and a soon-to-be-megastar, it makes the praise largely meaningless.

Artemisia

Banned
Idol has theme weeks, of course the contestants are going to be all over the place. The people on x factor get to do whatever they want and they are still trash.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm not even trying to be shady
The seats look like they'd get a really god view so they must be decent, is it a weird stadium or something? Because there were people standing at the top
I get that she may not have packed out the house but to have THAT much space seems way to low for someone like Rih

That was in Singapore. She played in front of 65k people. If pupi did his research, he would know that this was at the F1 Grand Prix and the people were all in front of her stage and not in the stands, but I guess when you (not you) are trying to be shady, the details become foggy.

Kelly Clarkson is a great example of this. She sang different stuff each week, and the direction she went as an artist bore no real resemblance to the direction she took on the show. I personally prefer contestants like her (or Adam Lambert, for a male example) who can actually change styles week to week as opposed to contestants who try to force each week's theme into their narrow box.

And speaking of those contestants, I heard Phillip Phillips on the radio. The voice sounded vaguely familiar in that "Every guy with a somewhat gravelly-voice and affected delivery singing songs clearly marked to teenage girls" way, but I couldn't place it until the DJ said who it was.

Where?
Yup. I think that the move away from versatility and a new focus on "knowing who you are" is a big part as to why ratings are down to the point where 10-12 million viewers is good.

...and as to the talent on the X Factor I couldn't tell you. I am watching the UK and US shows simultaneously so I have a hard time keeping them straight.

Vazra

That was in Singapore. She played in front of 65k people. If pupi did his research, he would know that this was at the F1 Grand Prix and the people were all in front of her stage and not in the stands, but I guess when you (not you) are trying to be shady, the details become foggy.

I didnt needed to do research as I was posting about her looking high as a kite and nothing else. If I will report that the sky is blue I don't need to report that the dirt you stick your face into is brown. Sit and chill.

Really tired of the "no promo" excuse. Promo can only do so much. If a song doesn't strike a chord with the public, there is nothing "promo" can do about it. Gaga hasn't done promo in 2 weeks yet Applause keeps increasing. There are many songs like Royals and Summertime Sadness which smashed just because of radio and people liking the songs.

You can't throw shit at the wall and expect it to stick. Look at Justink's "Take Back The Night" for example.

Sadly true. Beyonce promoted the hell out of 4 but it was just not doing anything for mainstream listeners, despite her name and exposure. A famous artist can elevate a song to be more exposed but it can still fall flat. Fans carried Applause, Roar, and Work Bitch to high peaks but after that wears off, it's up to the mainstream to like what they like.

It's too bad that people don't seem to care for Work Bitch, at least not yet, but a music video can do a LOT to sell a song (Wrecking Ball anyone?), so assuming she's still interested in getting this song out there, she can probably make it work. Applause didn't peak like Born This Way did, but it seems to be holding steady regardless. I'm surprised it resonated with the gp as well as it has considering it got TROUNCED in its first week. I hope Gaga releases her next single as soon as Applause starts to drop so that she can keep momentum going.

Bladenic

That Sky track is pretty good. Got nothing on Everything is Embarrassing though.

Also I started Once Upon a Time. This show seems tailor made for Pop GAF tbh.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I didnt needed to do research as I was posting about her looking high as a kite and nothing else. If I will report that the sky is blue I don't need to report that the dirt you stick your face into is brown. Sit and chill.

You can report anything you want to, but when you try and be shady and you're WRONG, you will be clocked. That's where the research you do comes in, you don't look like someone who has no idea what's going on. But if you want to continue looking clueless, carry on. Don't let me stop you.

Vazra

You can report anything you want to, but when you try and be shady and you're WRONG, you will be clocked. That's where the research you do comes in, you don't look like someone who has no idea what's going on. But if you want to continue looking clueless, carry on. Don't let me stop you.

I wasn't really shady I said I rather not comment and let someone else answer the question I was asked. If you get steam pressed easily by the emoticon that followed my response take a pill or two and calm down.

ibcaZVvZlv0LOf.gif

EDIT:
FFN_DefaultLightbox_51216597.jpg

IM SCREAMING!!!!!

DMeisterJ

Banned
I wasn't really shady I said I rather not comment and let someone else answer the question I was asked. If you get steam pressed easily by the emoticon that followed my response take a pill or two and calm down.

http://i.minus.com/ibcaZVvZlv0LOf.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

You know that emoticon was you being shady. Don't be new. You got clocked. #endof

Matt_

Idol has theme weeks, of course the contestants are going to be all over the place. The people on x factor get to do whatever they want and they are still trash.

Does the X factor not do theme weeks? Because they do in the UK
They wheel out Michael Jackon and Rock weeks yearly, they may even of had a Britney week one year but I can't quite remember

Oh I see. What a strange set up for them not to use all the available space, unless the view is weird and what I thought were seats are the back of stands facing the track or something

When did this trend of performing at the F1 start? I've been hearing more and more about it recently. They get pretty big names too

Gaga needs to release her second single in the last week of October, the 25th earliest.
Gives it time to get some traction before the 9th of November and gives Applause some time to grow
Although if Applause start to plummet she best usher out that new single stat. I hope whatever it is performs well, because she'll be everywhere promoting ARTPOP

Artemisia

Banned
Taylor Swift Meets Young Girl Struck by Brandy Outside Her Concert

taylor-swift-2-300.jpg
taylor-swift-3-300.jpg

Taylor Swift has inspired many young girls with her music, but it was the pop star's kindness that will continue to inspire 7-year-old Grace Markel, who was hit and severely injured by a speeding, uninsured driver while walking into the pop singer's concert this summer.

According to Grace's parents, she has remained positive throughout her recovery. To celebrate her spirit, they bought Grace tickets to Swift's Red concert in Nashville Sept. 21, and the singer surprised the family by bringing them backstage before her entrance.

When Swift, 23, emerged from her dressing room, "Taylor greeted Grace by her name and immediately knelt down and hugged her," Amy Markel tells PEOPLE. "She told Grace she had a cold and asked Grace to sing extra loud to help her out."

Swift thanked the little girl for wearing one of her shirts and autographed the sleeve with, "I heart Grace! Taylor," before putting her arms around the little girl for photos and giving Grace another huge hug before taking the stage.

According to Amy, "Taylor's mother told Grace she was so sorry about what happened to her, and she gave me a hug saying she sympathized with what we'd been through. It was so surreal and amazing."

Although Grace was nervous to meet the singer, she said Swift was even more "nice and tall and pretty" than she expected.

"[The meeting] was just a warm and genuine exchange that made it feel like time has stopped, and it was just the two of them," Amy says.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20738017,00.html

The Lord is so kind.

r9fN6.gif

Matt_

I can't really stand Taylor but I have to admit, I have never seen her look even close to average. She always looks absolutely stunning, which, considering the public THIRST to see celebrities looking rough driving rabid paparazzi, is pretty damn impressive

7EXdOUl.png

This is true desperation.

Idol has theme weeks, but they get mad at the contestants if they just sing a song from the theme. They now try to force them to transform it to meet their style.

Phillip Phillips sang the genres each week, but he made it all sound exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom