• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT7.5| ReMix - Stanning Sarah Palin since November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
Any of you girls like Jess Mills?
ECdA2My.png

Qazaq

Banned
BANGERZ THOUGHTS (From someone who was really looking forward to this album and is really digging Miley right now.)

OKAY:

I'm going to get the more critical/negative stuff out of the way first.

- Katy Perry and Lady GaGa's albums are going to be better than this.

I say this for two reasons. There tend to be two directions a pop act can go in. One is to make an album full of smash hit singles that loosely fit together into some sort of theme, but otherwise pretty much stand alone all on the song's own merits. See: Teenage Dream. Or you can have an album that, while obviously wanting to have smash hit songs, is more of a "collective experience" that is meant to be listened to and assessed as a body in full. See: Born This Way (regardless of what you thought about it).

The problem with Bangerz is Miley basically looks a bit amateurish compared to Katy Perry on the smash hit standalone song angle and to Lady Gaga on the other.

One one hand, collectively, there is a definite through-line to the album. Someone pointed out earlier that it was basically like the timeline of her relationship with Liam, and I went into Bangerz expecting that, and it REALLY WAS that. The problem I had with what Miley did is that, ultimately, she just isn't able to convey her ideas as creatively or as cleverly as Lady GaGa does. The album is just too literal. I like that Miley is upfront and not trying to do clever wordplay and symbolism, but the result just never feels creatively interesting enough to make me feel like her songs are applicable to literally more than Liam Hemsworth.

An exception? "FU", which I thought was a total jam, and extremely well sung. It was interesting, and high-energy, and it was a perfect blend of Miley's tell-it-like-it-is attitude with a fun, dynamic presentation.

But the second half of the album, which I found much better than the first, overall feels like kind of a slog. "Maybe You're Right" and "FU" and "Drive" and "Someone Else" just feel too repetitive thematically, and songs perched in between like "#GetItRight" (which I really liked) and "Do My Thang" (which I also liked) aren't really strong enough to break up the monotony.

Now in terms of the Katy Perry comprison, Miley has interesting ideas for individual songs but the songs lack the polish and direction to be executed as well as they could be, and the poor writing has a big part to play in that. The worst parts of this album are when the songs meander and don't go anywhere. I saw a lot of love for "Adore You", and yes it's gentle and vulnerable, but I thought the song lacked any sort of build or climax or really any direction. 4x4 was similar -- interesting idea that had potential to be more than the catchy-but-repetitive-mess that it ends up being. Miley has this penchant for repeating certain phrases ad-nauseum when just coming up with a more creative rhyme would have worked wonders ("Adore You", "4x4", "Do My Thang"). "Drive" also has such potential, but like most of the songs with Mike Will Made It, it has various hooks that feel like they're getting there but don't hit the SPOT like a Katy Perry song. Miley really needed more Dr. Luke -- "Wrecking Ball" is fantastic, and listening to various other tracks, it feels like a lot of the groundwork is there for a great song, but the writing and direction are just not up to snuff.

I mean honestly I feel like the hook and chorus Miley sings in "23" is better than most of the stuff on Bangerz. That song is ratchet club trash done RIGHT -- catchy and ghetto as fuck. And that's sort of the problem: The first half of Bangerz is more in the vein of "23", but 23 is just... better.

THE GOOD

To say this is the worst pop album of the year is ridiculous. There's a lot of good stuff here. For one thing, Miley's vocals are fantastic. Unequivocally, this is a highlight.

I also think a lot of the songs, if not on the caliber of "We Can't Stop" and "Wrecking Ball", ARE indeed really fun. "SMS (Bangerz)" does exactly what you hoped it would do. "FU" was AWESOME. "#GetItRight" is fun and very boppable and listenable. "Drive" will probably grow on people and become very well liked. "4x4" is really quite an interesting mix of urban/country.

Basically, I feel like the more Miley has a melody, the better the chance the song had of being. Unfortunately, the songs with the best melodies are all grouped together and literally have the same theme; it's almost like I want to disperse them through the playlist and say "screw the throughline".

Nemesis_

BANGERZ isn't even available to stream here :(

But in other news
that might or might not have already been posted

Azealia Banks has claimed that she dropped a collaboration with Disclosure from her forthcoming album 'Broke With Expensive Taste' because the duo were rude.

The rapper, who was talking to the AU Review while performing at Listen Out festival in Sydney, Australia, also said that she may leak the track in the future but she wasn't upset it wouldn't be on the LP as she had "much better stuff" on the record.

Asked if her collaboration with Howard and Guy Lawrence would be on the LP, she replied: "I did something with Disclosure but they were really rude in an interview, so I canned it. I might leak it though, and to be honest, I've got better stuff on my record." When asked if the track could be a B-side, meanwhile, she jokingly quipped: "Yeah, it can be an F-side – a Fuck You-side."

The '212' star also hyped up the release of the long-awaited 'Broke With Expensive Taste', claiming that it would be one of the most forward-thinking records in recent hip-hop history. "The album's done, and it's great," she said. "It's a really awesome piece of work. I really do think that I have the most innovative hip-hop record that hip-hop will see in the last 10 years, and for the next 25 years. And I challenge Kanye West to that – I challenge whoever to that."

'Broke With Expensive Taste', was originally scheduled for release in September 2012 but has since been delayed on several occasions. The rapper has recently revealed that is now due to come out next January (2014).

Banks is expected to debut songs from the album during her one-off headline gig at London's O2 Academy Brixton on November 30.

i76WRvA6dKsF0.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
She is literally actively trying to sabotage her would-be career at this point. There is no other explanation.

Fi's theme is the most beautiful piece of video game music I've ever heard. It's so ambient and pretty ;_______________; Legend of Zeldasus

and LMAO at Azealia, can she just stop

Peru

If it's not reported anywhere, why would it be true and why would you believe it? Unless you have inside sources yourself.

OMG WHAT??? Where did you see this?

Edit: I googled, it seems fake. At least I hope so.

No truer than Miley being pregnant.

Now this I know is a deadbeat ass rumor. Ad soon as I heard juicy J, I was like, this is fake af.. However the little reason why I was a little gullible to the Rihanna thing was because her Grandmother had it. If it runs in her family, that is something concerning. It's probably not true but it was pretty concerning for me.

If it's not reported anywhere, why would it be true and why would you believe it? Unless you have inside sources yourself.

It was on Twitter at first. The campaign was like #pray4rihanna so I'm like wtf? Then there was an article on CNN about it and I was like ok this isn't real right now... The article got taken down for whatever reason but I don't know..

Edit: You know what Lmao! I'm so dumb... Now thinking about it, that article mentioned that she had 2 months to live. Yeah, that's fake af! Never mind what I said. However I'm impressed on how much I cared about her when I read that. Hmmmmm, not a #NVAY never will be but good one.... Hmm

Yado

This video looks like it's going to be a mess. No wonder the director quit.

Edit:
Also, I think her nipple is out in that 5th pic Mau.
iBtuj0l2wNpjr.gif

Mau ®

This video looks like it's going to be a mess. No wonder the director quit.

Edit:
Also, I think her nipple is out in that 5th pic Mau.
iBtuj0l2wNpjr.gif

Removed kii.

I'm not expecting much due to the director drama, either. But I'm happy we're getting a new RIh video. It's been 8 months. a MESS.

Artemisia

Banned
Any of you girls like Jess Mills?

Pixelated People is such a grade A bop.

Live For What I'd Die For and For My Sins are good too.

She was supposed to have a debut album coming out this year. But fuck knows what's happened to those plans.

Yes, Jess Mills slays. Apparently she was dropped from her label after she was done with her album so now she's in limbo. Someone sent me her album tracks and they were already tagged in iTunes form so I guess she was really close to releasing it. Hew knows what she's up to now, though. RIP.

Listening to "I Wanna Be With You" from the iTunes Festival, and wondering how big or miniscule this song's production is gonna be. I sort of hope it's a big production ala Speechless and not just an acoustic studio track. The melodies are great but the lyrics would benefit from some... loudness. lol

Ew @ those Pour It Out shots. Miley and Rihanna are truly cut from the same stained loin cloth I see.

Yes, Jess Mills slays. Apparently she was dropped from her label after she was done with her album so now she's in limbo. Someone sent me her album tracks and they were already tagged in iTunes form so I guess she was really close to releasing it. Hew knows what she's up to now, though. RIP.

O. That really sucks. I hope she gets picked up by another label because she has too much potential for it to be squandered.

YAAAAASSSSSSS. Stan the superior Knowles.

iU26S9DB2DTHx.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Bless, leave Standing Ankle Deep in Shit in the bargain bin for a lesser like Rih to pick up down the line, give Bey an iconic choon like Titaniumsus
oma5VK2.png
oma5VK2.png
oma5VK2.png
oma5VK2.png

Artemisia

Banned
omg.

Bitter Rivals might be as good as Treats.

The title track, Minnie, Sing Like A Wire, Young Legends, Tiger Kit, You Don't Get Me Twice, and Love Sick. Alexis her influence.

tumblr_ml252mhGRm1qedlsro1_250.gif

Wait.... is it possible that Beyonce will release her album this year??

Consider the sources saying that her label is expecting a winter release, her shooting all these music videos, and with the Sia tweets....

Ummm let me stop myself before I start combusting. I will NOT be able to handle my faves releasing another set of albums in the same time frame. Lawd.

Kyon

Banned
Wait.... is it possible that Beyonce will release her album this year??

Consider the sources saying that her label is expecting a winter release, her shooting all these music videos, and with the Sia tweets....

Ummm let me stop myself before I start combusting. I will NOT be able to handle my faves releasing another set of albums in the same time frame. Lawd.

Most likely early 2014 like everyone has been predicting.

She doesn't have a team but if she was smart she would release next year when the other girls weren't around

Artemisia

Banned
rHfINOL.png

Speaking of stunted: Timberlake recently joked that this new record is "more slutty" than its "virginal" partner, and its subject matter can certainly be offensive—not because of its sexual nature but rather how disturbingly unsexy the singer makes it all sound. Despite "SexyBack"—which, with its motorik pulse and metallic vocal effects, was more cybersex-y, anyway—Timberlake's lock-step perfectionism always lent itself more to idealized romance than unadulterated attraction. And too often here, his come-ons are corny enough to elicit facepalms from sixth graders. "Girl, if sex is a contest, then you're coming first," he suggests on "Cabaret", seemingly accompanied by a dumb, punny smirk. Timberlake's supporting cast doesn't help. Timbaland shows up only to play the role of embarrassing uncle on "TKO", starting the track off with unfortunately appropriate (and gross) baby talk: "She kill me with the coo-coochie-coochie-coo." Jay-Z can't help but get in on the act on "Murder", where he hypothesizes on the efficacy of Yoko Ono's vagina: "Know that shit gotta be lethal/ If that pussy broke up the Beatles/ Chocha ruined pop culture." Yes, he really says "chocha." And no, it doesn't sound better when you hear him rapping it.

When Timberlake went into the studio with Timbaland last year, they didn't necessarily plan to make an album. His manager figured a single or an EP might arise from the 20 days of recording. But here we are with two albums—144 minutes of music in total. It's about 70 minutes too much, an unwarranted glut. Based on the performance of this album's singles thus far—the good-enough "Take Back the Night" peaked at No. 29 while the laborious "TKO" just entered the charts at No. 54—public demand is significantly waning as well. With The 20/20 Experience, Timberlake asked his audience to accept a twisty album of love songs that was out-of-step with today's bass-first pop-radio fodder. No matter the amount of soul-sucking promotional tie-ins involved—and there were many—it was a risky gambit, and it paid off on virtually every level. With 2 of 2, he's a happily married man asking us to take in an album of awful pick up lines and phony angst, all over an endless bed of reheated production. It's a bridge too far.

i5SnKuBbn1DVs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom