• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Here's Mariah's Letterman interview.

She really needs to watch her own interviews, I don't think she's even aware of how she comes off. Those odd moments where she covers her face or looks completely down at the floor while talking. You'd think she be used to these interviews decades into her career. And then her casually mentioning how her character gets raped and her father murdered to set up a joke for how important her character was behind the scenes.

iwEnNd8u95qMg.gif

Please oh please, just let the music be good.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Gaga invented green wigs and mechanical horses.

Gaga copying Kerli complaining about the copycats.

the amount of seething that monsters do over katy is completely unprecedented...i've never seen an entire stanbase so utterly pressed and bothered by another star

i mean this popped up on my tumblr feed the other day

The irony of this poorly crafted shade (and I call it poorly crafted for this reason) is that Gaga’s reaction to the soft album sales has been literally “hey I’m going on tour soon, hope my fans enjoy it”.

She’s not re-releasing the album with bonus tracks, she’s not pricing her singles at 69 cents, she’s not rushing to create videos to capitalize on the Billboard streaming points (in fact she did the opposite), she’s not throwing together an EP or new single featuring Pittbull to distract you, or taking a gig judging a reality show to keep her name in the headlines, she’s not taking the offense and blaming, shading or insulting anyone, and she’s maintained the stance she had since before ARTPOP even dropped - that it’s not about sales, it’s about the goddamn fucking music.

So sure, go ahead and say what u want, and stumble across an image of another artist’s sculpture and make this photo set because what’s happening is that Gaga’s relevance is being proven even further. Sure, her relevance is no longer just “Gaga shattered yet another record” like it was 2008-2011… it’s kind of the opposite. How far can she fall? How hard can she fall? Meanwhile how little can she care about some messy ass queens coming for her, while having more integrity and self-respect than your fave could ever hope for?

Look at any reputable review of her music and career right now, and you’ll see one common theme: Lady Gaga is the only pop star in the game not playing it safe, pushing the boundary of what’s expected, and not giving a shit when the mainstream chooses something basic like Roar over something progressive like Applause.

So go download some discounted Katy remixes or wait for Rihanna’s 117th studio album released this month or turn on the TV to see who’s new on The Voice or just go sort your queue of Heidi Montag glitter GIFs if you care so much about what’s popular this instant second in time and space.

Or, you know, take time to post about Gaga to prove she has no impact. Oh wait oooops?

the level of delusions and seething fumes is worrying. i'll say a prayer for them tonight.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
the amount of seething that monsters do over katy is completely unprecedented...i've never seen an entire stanbase so utterly pressed and bothered by another star

i mean this popped up on my tumblr feed the other day

the level of delusions and seething fumes is worrying. i'll say a prayer for them tonight.
They just make themselves an easy target for shade and drags tbh.

Ahasverus

To be honest It's kind of pathetic to have people who loved the Gaga novelty in 2008 and gave her the "power" rooting for her disgrace and making bets on how low she can go. I'm sure everyone went crazy with Just Dance and stuff, but then some people find so fun seeing her down, wasting her like human trash that was already used.
Even if I might not like most of her new music I will always respect her for all the things she did (You know that without Gaga today's landscape would be very, very different) and I will never revel on her disgrace. That's just cruel.

The best thing Gaga did was getting popstars to step their game up re: music videos. There was a marked improvement in mainstream pop videos after Paparazzi, and Bad Romance/Telephone proved that MV releases could still be events.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
To be honest It's kind of pathetic to have people who loved the Gaga novelty in 2008 and gave her the "power" rooting for her disgrace and making bets on how low she can go. I'm sure everyone went crazy with Just Dance and stuff, but then some people find so fun seeing her down, wasting her like human trash that was already used.
Even if I might not like most of her new music I will always respect her for all the things she did (You know that without Gaga today's landscape would be very, very different) and I will never revel on her disgrace. That's just cruel.

linking to this review again because it's basically everything i think about gaga only better than i can say it

The best thing Gaga did was getting popstars to step their game up re: music videos. There was a marked improvement in mainstream pop videos after Paparazzi, and Bad Romance/Telephone proved that MV releases could still be events.

i like the fact that she brought general theatricality back to pop, MVs being a big part of that

Ahasverus

Yep. That and actual musical composition in her songs.

She also re-energized the other pop stars as far as being an event themselves. Red carpet fashions, taking political stands, having a big social media presence, iconography, creating cult followings, etc. Even though Gaga's name is pretty ubiquitous now and her star power has settled into itself with the other pop girls, I definitely feel like the pop landscape would be pretty different right now if she never rose to stardom. She helped bring back the "pop star as a spectacle" dynamic that started to die off halfway through the decade.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Hope There's Someone
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
oh god

don't even

52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

hope there's someone
who'll take care of me
when i die, will i go?

hope there's someone
who'll set my heart free
nice to hold, when i'm tired

52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

She also re-energized the other pop stars as far as being an event themselves. Red carpet fashions, taking political stands, having a big social media presence, iconography, creating cult followings, etc. Even though Gaga's name is pretty ubiquitous now and her star power has settled into itself with the other pop girls, I definitely feel like the pop landscape would be pretty different right now if she never rose to stardom. She helped bring back the "pop star as a spectacle" dynamic that started to die off halfway through the decade.
I agree with this, but I think part of the reason I'm starting to go off Gaga is that at some point she started become a real person, and I found that person quite annoying. That sounds unfair but I really enjoyed Lady Gaga the woman who wore those weird costumes and never really revealed anything about herself.

Vitanimus

My feed is filled with Lily Allen vs. Popjustice and I agree fully with Peter because it seems so cheap that Lily basically writes a song about loads of people and pretends it means nothing because it's "pop", which undervalues the entire medium.

edit: WAIT new La Roux yaas gawd!! Her debut was so good why did they disappear for 5 years :( let me bring back Bulletproof.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
My feed is filled with Lily Allen vs. Popjustice and I agree fully with Peter because it seems so cheap that Lily basically writes a song about loads of people and pretends it means nothing because it's "pop", which undervalues the entire medium.

wait, did they delete their tweets or something? i can't find it

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

ibpKsy1nnEwjkE.gif

More on Foxes

I can hear your thoughts
Please don't leave me now
I can't sleep alone
Chasing the light until the dawn
Thought we left a tray
Back to the way that it was
I can see it now
In your eyes you let it fall
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

Touchdown

Banned
Why does her face look so bloated? It seems like her face has ballooned in the past couple weeks.

tumblr_n59vapm7qZ1rayi6uo1_500.jpg

Yeah she does seem a little bloated but I don't think it's a "big" issue. I bet she'll probably try to slim down a bit by next month when she should be in full swing promotion mode.

Did you see that she has a track with Rapist K on the deluxe edition? Gross.

She did that track years ago with him, which doesn't make it any more right but it's not a new track. And I believe the pee man was found innocent in a trial of his peers...

I agree with this, but I think part of the reason I'm starting to go off Gaga is that at some point she started become a real person, and I found that person quite annoying. That sounds unfair but I really enjoyed Lady Gaga the woman who wore those weird costumes and never really revealed anything about herself.

I do think that most people turned on her once she no longer embraced being an enigma and was more forthcoming with herself and her personality. i.e. the Born This Way era. She did it in such a confrontational way though that there was no real transitional moment, it was like she took the mask off and there was this grungy, ugly entity inside. I mean the visual narrative speaks for itself:

From this

lady-gaga-the-fame-i6894.jpg

lady-gaga-fame-monster--large-msg-125876924454.jpg

to this:

z9188485Q,Lady-Gaga--Born-this-way-.jpg

Ahasverus

Yeah the BTW era was a little self indulgent and it didn't resonate very well with the general public. I still remember the whole "These are not prostethics, i was born with these" lol. Fun times.

Vazduh

You guys even AWARE of the sensation that is Eurovision?

My flop country is not participating this year so I'm going to skip this year's show
VYJbbX8.jpg

Crystal Kay's new single Rule Your World is out now and it's so much better than Busy Doing Nothing.

https://itunes.apple.com/album/rule-your-world-single/id875341637?l=en

It's out on Spotify as well. It is better than Busy Doing Nothing (which was, mildly put, sub-par), but that doesn't mean much, it's still not good enough, IMHO.

Zutroy

Heal is more than decent. It's one of my favourite albums of the last few years!

Also Austria made it though to Saturday's finals.

Conchita-Wurst-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom