• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Banned
well I'm talking about the Hot 100, its full of boring trite and songs that are loosing steam
Pills N Potions would fit perfectly

Nicki has released more flop promo songs than mimi has this era, heh. Remember when you all said the n**ga song was gonna slay You're Mine (Eternal).

iZ68hilwMkuYu.gif

Vazduh

WaiT... did Sam Smith just kind of come out in his new video?

Sam Smith - Leave Your Lover

I mean, it's not like it wasn't clear already, but still, I think this is pretty awesome, I thought that his label wouldn't let him come out.

Oh, and I finally found that old photo Vitanimus mentioned a few days ago.

As for his album, I found it good, although there are so many ballads, they start to blend together. I guess I need to give it a few more listens. If I had to compare him to someone, it would be Daniel Merriweather who's also "the male Adele" (he even had a duet with her!), but his album was better IMHO.

Partition

Banned
Monument is good, but I feel like most of these songs on the EP would just be better as an instrumental. She doesn't add much, if anything.

Monument is good, but I feel like most of these songs on the EP would just be better as an instrumental. She doesn't add much, if anything.

Monument is getting a revised version on each of their albums (if the NPR article is to be believed), so I'm hoping Robyn's album will have a more meaty Robyn version.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
You can tell that back half of Monument is going to be transformed into something appropriately HUGE for the live shows.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the only initial criticism i have is that Every Little Thing sounds a little bit too much like some of Röyksopp's earlier songs (somewhere between Röyksopp Forever and Something in My Heart)

it's still great (ofc) though

Styles

Boy, when you're with me
I'll give you a taste
Make it like your birthday everyday
I know you like it sweet
So you can have your cake
Give you something good to celebrate

So make a wish
I'll make it like your birthday everyday
I'll be your gift
Give you something good to celebrate

isqjKyFcYKAkW.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
WaiT... did Sam Smith just kind of come out in his new video?

Sam Smith - Leave Your Lover

I mean, it's not like it wasn't clear already, but still, I think this is pretty awesome, I thought that his label wouldn't let him come out.

Oh, and I finally found that old photo Vitanimus mentioned a few days ago.

As for his album, I found it good, although there are so many ballads, they start to blend together. I guess I need to give it a few more listens. If I had to compare him to someone, it would be Daniel Merriweather who's also "the male Adele" (he even had a duet with her!), but his album was better IMHO.

The male Adele is accurate and Daniel Merriweather album was better cause it didnt feel the samey as much as Sam Smith. The album is great but I expected a few more tracks like La La La and maybe 1 or a few more danceable bops. I mean bitch has the voice that works perfectly for ballads and dance why just focus on ballads? In the end I have a feeling he might eventually do what I want from him. The album it's good and that is what matters. This is his 21 era. Hopefully the next one is his 19.

I listened to the rest of the Mariah album. Part of me wants to write a little review to get my thoughts together but I feel like I need to listen through it one more time. I think I realized officially that I seriously despise about 50% of her vocal delivery. That whispy/breathy tone... I cannot

Vazduh

The male Adele is accurate and Daniel Merriweather album was better cause it didnt feel the samey as much as Sam Smith. The album is great but I expected a few more tracks like La La La and maybe 1 or a few more danceable bops. I mean bitch has the voice that works perfectly for ballads and dance why just focus on ballads? In the end I have a feeling he might eventually do what I want from him. The album it's good and that is what matters. This is his 21 era. Hopefully the next one is his 19.

Yeah, at least the album is good. And I agree with you, he should have recorded more tracks like La La La. The good sis better serve some bops on his next one! We know he has that in him.

aAGNz0C.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yeah, at least the album is good. And I agree with you, he should have recorded more tracks like La La La. The good sis better serve some bops on his next one! We know he has that in him.
I want a collab with Sam Sparro. It could be perfect. <3

Vazduh

I listened to the rest of the Mariah album. Part of me wants to write a little review to get my thoughts together but I feel like I need to listen through it one more time. I think I realized officially that I seriously despise about 50% of her vocal delivery. That whispy/breathy tone... I cannot

I'd love to see your review!

For me the album fell apart after Money, up until that point I liked most of the songs (even Thirsty, which I hated back when I first heard it). Still, it's quite an achievement for Mariah, because I thought it would be a disaster and it's the opposite of that. Slay a bit, elusive chanteuse.

I want a collab with Sam Sparro. It could be perfect. <3

Give him some more time, I believe it'll happen eventually :)

Touchdown

Banned

BYE

ibeAF1oXXBtsFY.gif

I'd love to see your review!

For me the album fell apart after Money, up until that point I liked most of the songs (even Thirsty, which I hated back when I first heard it). Still, it's quite an achievement for Mariah, because I thought it would be a disaster and it's the opposite of that. Slay a bit, elusive chanteuse.

umm why did you think it would be a disaster? Y'all act like this is Britney Spears or something.

iieeLzvEheXUa.gif

Well I think Mariah is a great singer and when she uses that clear chest voice I live. I think she uses that so sparingly though, like much more sparingly than she should. It's like whenever she uses that big voice she gives it just a few seconds before cutting back to that breathy "soft" tone that I think is too muddy and unelegant. Whatever emotional appeal she's trying to go for with that whispy tone feels lost on me. I remember songs like "Fantasy" that has her relying on that big voice more and I really like that song because of it.

Bottom line I think she falls into the kinds of traps that singers like Christina do, and it's just a result of being up your own ass for so long. The same way Christina can't seem to let a melody breathe without over-accessorizing it (or using that god-awful whispy tone herself), Mariah can't seem to let her big chest voice carry a BIG melody and instead keeps retreating for some reason. I guess the difference with me is that I've tolerated Christina's "-isms" more because I grew up on her music and not Mariah's.

Vazduh

umm why did you think it would be a disaster? Y'all act like this is Britney Spears or something.

iieeLzvEheXUa.gif

The reason was simple: because of Triumphant, The Art of Letting Go and You're Mine. I thought that the entire album would be as boring and subpar as those singles, but luckily it wasn't, it's good.

I still think that #Beautiful is the best thing on it, though. If only Miguel gave her a few more songs...

Vazduh

She's always been a hell of a performer, that's for sure.

Bladenic, Nito and SaintZ (and whoever else stans for the Romanian kweenz here)... here's something to be excited about!

Out in less than a week.

3phemeral

Well I think Mariah is a great singer and when she uses that clear chest voice I live. I think she uses that so sparingly though, like much more sparingly than she should. It's like whenever she uses that big voice she gives it just a few seconds before cutting back to that breathy "soft" tone that I think is too muddy and unelegant. Whatever emotional appeal she's trying to go for with that whispy tone feels lost on me. I remember songs like "Fantasy" that has her relying on that big voice more and I really like that song because of it.

Bottom line I think she falls into the kinds of traps that singers like Christina do, and it's just a result of being up your own ass for so long. The same way Christina can't seem to let a melody breathe without over-accessorizing it (or using that god-awful whispy tone herself), Mariah can't seem to let her big chest voice carry a BIG melody and instead keeps retreating for some reason. I guess the difference with me is that I've tolerated Christina's "-isms" more because I grew up on her music and not Mariah's.

It's odd because while she does use it extensively here, shes actually belted exponentially more than her past 3 albums. I'd even argue there's more belting on here than on EoM. She just interweaves the two of them at a greater rate on this album than on previous ones also.

The whispery tone I can understand especially with post-vocal damage and pre-MIAMTEC. It was getting dry and a lot of time wasn't connecting with me in any emotional sense (Through the Rain still grates me to this day). But on this album, I think she has a good grasp of using it emotively, like on Supernatural when she sings "heavenly" at 1:30, it just plops you atop a cloud like she's singing right into your ear.

Camouflage is the only other track where she uses it extensively as a lead vocal, but that changes at the end when it gets becomes pure belt after belt. Especially at 3:27, I don't think I've ever heard her allow herself so emotively ugly (in a good/deliberate way). Otherwise, hardly any of the songs rely on that whispery tone except for atmosphere/harmony.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
And Problem sometime in June. Bow down to the first gerl to get two #1s in her debut era since Gaga.

Damn, Really?
I would have put money on Lorde tbh

It's odd because while she does use it extensively here, shes actually belted exponentially more than her past 3 albums. I'd even argue there's more belting on here than on EoM. She just interweaves the two of them at a greater rate on this album than on previous ones also.

The whispery tone I can understand especially with post-vocal damage and pre-MIAMTEC. It was getting dry and a lot of time wasn't connecting with me in any emotional sense (Through the Rain still grates me to this day). But on this album, I think she has a good grasp of using it emotively, like on Supernatural when she sings "heavenly" at 1:30, it just plops you atop a cloud like she's singing right into your ear.

Camouflage is the only other track where she uses it extensively as a lead vocal, but that changes at the end when it gets becomes pure belt after belt. Especially at 3:27, I don't think I've ever heard her allow herself so emotively ugly (in a good/deliberate way). Otherwise, hardly any of the songs rely on that whispery tone except for atmosphere/harmony.

Yeah, I'm sure she's handled that habit better here than in some of her other contemporary albums, I just don't really follow her discography enough to track the growth/decline. Aside from Rainbow (which I hardly remember) this is the only full Mariah album I've listened to, so my exposure to her is really just limited to this, Touch My Body, a few 90s ballads, Fantasy, and that one Christmas song. lol

cory64

Yeah, I'm sure she's handled that habit better here than in some of her other contemporary albums, I just don't really follow her discography enough to track the growth/decline. Aside from Rainbow (which I hardly remember) this is the only full Mariah album I've listened to, so my exposure to her is really just limited to this, Touch My Body, a few 90s ballads, Fantasy, and that one Christmas song. lol
Qorl.

You need to dive into ha music. It's a very rewarding body of work.

3phemeral

Like cory said, you should get into iT.

Plus, it kind of negates your comment of "her being up her own ass," if you've only listened to a handful of her tracks. You really should check out her albums chronologically to hear the versatility she displays in terms of her runs, harmonies and how she navigates the melody. She can be great lyrically, too - and when the two intermingle on songs like Underneath the Stars, The Roof, 4th of July, Outside, etc. Also essential are her dance tracks, especially if you're only here for belts. One of my favorite dance tracks is Honey (Classic Mix).

bye

Even my close-minded ass took the time to gather the gems haphazardly strewn about Xtincta's graveyard of a discography.

now you know what your homework is this weekend'

class dismissT

EDIT:

8Y5fK.png

8Y5gl.png

DISMISSEDTTT

Mumei

Qorl.

You need to dive into ha music. It's a very rewarding body of work.

Like cory said, you should get into iT.

Plus, it kind of negates your comment of "her being up her own ass," if you've only listened to a handful of her tracks. You really should check out her albums chronologically to hear the versatility she displays in terms of her runs, harmonies and how she navigates the melody. She can be great lyrically, too - and when the two intermingle on songs like Underneath the Stars, The Roof, 4th of July, Outside, etc. Also essential are her dance tracks, especially if you're only here for belts. One of my favorite dance tracks is Honey (Classic Mix).

bye

Even my close-minded ass took the time to gather the gems haphazardly strewn about Xtincta's graveyard of a discography.

now you know what your homework is this weekend'

class dismissT

WaiT

I gave 'Scribe an extensive list of Mariah songs to listen to, listed more or less in chronological order, ages ago and he had the same complaints (the breathy tone) that he now is saying he "realized officially" that he does not like... but the only song he said he liked then was Can't Let Go which is one of her early singles where that breathy tone is used most extensively!

Hmmm

And I keep telling her to listen to The Remixes but for some reason she hasn't done it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom