• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

10301543_10152561077274873_8545440175275698936_n.jpg

The teasing continues

YAAAAASSSSSSSS

YOUR FAVES ARE NOT PREPARED

SLAY QUEEN

3phemeral

WaiT

I gave 'Scribe an extensive list of Mariah songs to listen to, listed more or less in chronological order, ages ago and he had the same complaints (the breathy tone) that he now is saying he "realized officially" that he does not like... but the only song he said he liked then was Can't Let Go which is one of her early singles where that breathy tone is used most extensively!

Hmmm

And I keep telling her to listen to The Remixes but for some reason she hasn't done it yet.

ClockeD!

But on the serious, I understand when you're navigating reasons why you don't like someone and you want to know why, it takes a while to really pick apart what's bothering you. It might not even be thing you initially were outspoken about, but something else entirely. But it is satisfying to discover the particulars as it makes for a better understanding of what you know to look for in the future.

royalan

It will happen, sooner or later. I remember that No Doubt were supposed to record with Shellback and Jim Jonsin, but it is possible that she was actually recording for her solo album?

True, it was probably my favorite off that album.

Well, there was word that after their last album flopped, they immediately went into the studio to record a follow-up. But somewhere down the line Gwen must have decided to go it solo, which is funny, because that's pretty similar to how she ended up going solo the first time (the band was putting an album together and she wanted to record more poppy/80s-throwback songs and the rest of the band was like, "Nah, that shit is gay." and then Gwen was like, "Well fuck you then. It's not like I need you anyway" because she's fierce as fuck).

Vazduh

hcgQHrB.gif

I'd be here for that. Hopefully she releases something this year, it's been too long since her last album. Can you believe it's been 8 years already? EIGHT?

I feel so old now ;_;

Didn't Gwen once go into detail about how her experiences as a solo pop star were harrowing and that she'd never want to go back and that's why she recorded Push and Shove with the rest of the guys?

Yado

I don't have much confidence in Gwen as a solo artist anymore, I think she's gone as far as she can go with that but maybe she'll surprise me.

WaiT

I gave 'Scribe an extensive list of Mariah songs to listen to, listed more or less in chronological order, ages ago and he had the same complaints (the breathy tone) that he now is saying he "realized officially" that he does not like... but the only song he said he liked then was Can't Let Go which is one of her early singles where that breathy tone is used most extensively!

Hmmm

And I keep telling her to listen to The Remixes but for some reason she hasn't done it yet.

Omg
Does it say something that I completely forgot I listened to those songs? :/

But fine sisses I will give all those suggestions a listen and will open my mind (and legs) to them. And I always hear raves about the remixes so I will make this a priority D:

My musical holy trinity are Grace Jones, Bjork, and the Almighty Catherine Bush CBE. I'm fond of the abstract, the strange and the different
because I'm a complete weirdo and I feel at home with them being musically weird too ;_;

Aside from that, we have Donna Summer, Chaka Khan, Stevie Nicks, Prince, Eurythmics, Madonna, Michael Jackson...

Moving onto those who/se careers are still alive, I adore Janelle Monae and Robyn. They're my main girls. I think I may put Kimbra in my modern trinity too. Another trinity of oddities.

I'm also a fan of (listdump warning):
Annie, Banks, Erykah Badu, Florence Welch (the Sirens EP has made me question Florence Arnold's judgement), Foxes, Frank Ocean, Goldfrapp, Grimes, Haim, Jessie Ware, Katy B, Kelis, The Killers, La Roux, Lana, Lykke, MIA, Natalia Kills, Paloma Faith, Royksopp, Scissor Sisters, Sky Ferreira, the superior Knowles sister, Tove Lo, VV Brown and The Weeknd.

And if I really must stan for one of the popular kids, let it be Rihanna.

cory64

My musical holy trinity are Grace Jones, Bjork, and the Almighty Catherine Bush CBE. I'm fond of the abstract, the strange and the different
because I'm a complete weirdo and I feel at home with them being musically weird too ;_;

Aside from that, we have Donna Summer, Chaka Khan, Stevie Nicks, Prince, Eurythmics, Madonna, Michael Jackson...

Moving onto those who/se careers are still alive, I adore Janelle Monae and Robyn. They're my main girls. I think I may put Kimbra in my modern trinity too. Another trinity of oddities.

Annie, Banks, Erykah Badu, Florence Welch (the Sirens EP has made me question Florence Arnold's judgement), Foxes, Frank Ocean, Goldfrapp, Grimes, Haim, Jessie Ware, Katy B, Kelis, The Killers, La Roux, Lana, Lykke, MIA, Natalia Kills, Paloma Faith, Royksopp, Scissor Sisters, Sky Ferreira, the superior Knowles sister, Tove Lo, VV Brown and The Weeknd.

yaaaas to absolutely EVERYTHING. Take note sistren, this is what superior taste looks like.

iQ7ckFhYRrx1S.gif

Vitanimus

YAAAAAAAAAAAS at this Bjork stanning!
Vespertine is your fav right?
What kind of ***flawless taste?

Vazduh

What kind of perfection? Yes to everything!

SQLjsPE.gif

Yado

I see several of my faves. Welcome to Popgaf.
io93pbgzImK1e.gif

Best new member tbh

Welcome~

Aguila

#ICONIC
3 features on one song is kind of odd.

She never mentioned features on any of the songs. I wonder if there will be more *.*

Mumei

Never Forever, welcome~

Omg
Does it say something that I completely forgot I listened to those songs? :/

But fine sisses I will give all those suggestions a listen and will open my mind (and legs) to them. And I always hear raves about the remixes so I will make this a priority D:

Even if you don't like the originals, listen to the remixes; they have re-sung vocals so you don't know exactly what to expect from her even if you've heard the originals. Anyway, mix of singles, album tracks, and a couple live performances:

To Be Around You
I've Been Thinking About You
Anytime You Need A Friend C&C Remix
Heartbreaker/If You Should Ever Be Lonely
Emotions Remix
Joy To the World (Live)
Joy To the World Remix
Now That I Know
If It's Over (Live)
Emotions Johnny Vicious Remix
Dreamlover (David Morales Def House Club Remix)
"My All/Stay Awhile" (So So Def Remix)
Honey (Classic Club Mix)
Fantasy (Def Club Remix)
Someday (Live)
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
Someday (New Jack Swing 7" Mix)
Dreamlover (Live)

And Leona and 3phemeral, have you listened to this?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Considering she was an actress, Ariana seems to lack a single ounce of charisma when doing anything related to problem

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

an iconic list of faves tbh, welcome to the gang

Y'all are too kind considering I'm an obnoxious hipster.

YAAAAAAAAAAAS at this Bjork stanning!
Vespertine is your fav right?
What kind of ***flawless taste?

Pagan Poetry is just... sigh. Heavenly. And Vespertine as a whole is wonderful for revision because it takes me to my happy place of concentration, but at the same time I can just listen to it and spin around the room like a nutcase. The harps and the celestes, it's like actual musical heaven and I just want to go to there...
Yeah, Vespertine>Homogenic>Post=Debut>Biophilia>Volta. Medulla is weird and I can't really rank it against the others, but it probably slides in alongside Biophilia.

Mau ®;113191234 said:
All I needed to know 😍👍😭❤️💯

I just love her personality, and her songs and everything, she's just so awesome. I should just drop the pretence, I'm #NAVY and proud. Only Girl In The World still takes me to the same place as when I first heard it *.*

Also, I listened to The Remixes whilst I was lurking and I forgot about it and I actually quite like Mariah too. She's bonkers and egotistical and amazingly talented and generally wonderful. Considering how I felt when I heard Art of Letting Go (exact words: "Well, she's not artfully letting go of her career, is she?"), MIAMTEC is a triumph and a complete reversal of expectations.

yes this will do just fine

welcome!

A bunch of flop talentless artists. Go back to trolling popjustice, kiefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom