• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazduh

I've never listened to a Madonna album.

Anyway, Ezra Vine - Celeste, a cute bop.

This is very nice, thanks for sharing! :)

As for Madonna, that's okay, it's never too late for great music.

I know that many POPGaffers probably won't agree with me here, but I'm going to recommend GHV2, which is a good starting point. For me, it represents Madonna at her best.

And now they're asking me
Are you and him together?
How is it gonna be
Or is it just playing tricks on your mind
I bet that he's not your kind
My fantasy fell into something true
He put a spell on me under the moonlight
And I knew,
Now I can stop thinking 'bout that taste like cherry pop
Pop pop, che-cherry che-cherry pop pop
Pop pop, che-cherry che-cherry pop pop
Cherry pop
ibaGVLQjOYjgJl.gif

This is growing on me tbh
, probably because it's K-pop inspired.

Touchdown

Banned
I really don't see how people are impressed by Arianus Grande and her basic voice.

Are people being ironic?

She can't breathe, she can't sing, she can't dance, tell 'em!

ivl7Pxn11ZUgH.gif

I don't get the sudden thirst. Mario Kart is as Mario Kart does.

I went so low as to throw my pennies at Playstation Vita, such is the depth of my indiscretion.

Vita is slime.

iGKblhGFemnpl.gif

i think the package with the game arrived, but i'm being nice to my brother who asked me not to open it until he arrived
emot-colbert.gif

i've been stroking the box occasionally i hope it's in here
emot-colbert.gif

Awww Fey is such a good brother.

ibkYhaaie5qZZr.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
That kanye snippet is doing it for me
whens the full track sent to arrive?

I've never listened to a Madonna album.

As for Madonna, that's okay, it's never too late for great music.

I know that many POPGaffers probably won't agree with me here, but I'm going to recommend GHV2, which is a good starting point. For me, it represents Madonna at her best.

Well, he said 'album', and idk. I'm sure GHV2 is fine, but I've never had reason to listen to it. I would agree that the 90s+Music is Madonna's all-killer no-filler era (five albums' worth, when will your faves), but each album is greater than the sum of its parts from a conceptual and musical perspective, so I suppose GHV2 is fine as long as it is used as an opportunity to explore further and not merely as 'Everything You Need to Know About Madonna'.

The Immaculate Collection is an album to me in the way that GHV2 isn't, possibly because picking up The Immaculate Collection is the best way of assimilating the early years and getting a distilled sense of 80s Madonna, as well as the conception of modern pop music. It's a historic album. I'll be honest in that even though I like her first three studio albums, Like A Prayer is the first one that has truly great album tracks (Til Death Do Us Part is amaaaazing) and so you can pick that up separately. Also, Immaculate Collection is the easiest way to get Vogue and Into the Groove.

Also, Vitanimus is no longer my soul-sister connected via love of Bjork and Vespertine. Dead to me.

Vita is slime.

Vita is the weeaboo console with VLR, Danganronpa and Persona, which is more than enough for me. Thank god for that, because I don't think I actually own any other Vita games. Also no region-locking, where is Shin Megami Tensei IV? :cry: At least Pokemon OmegaRuby & AlphaSapphire will come out on time.

Hoenn, ha rise from the ocean depths to send your fave gen to church.

Fey

Banned
Vita is the weeaboo console with VLR, Danganronpa and Persona, which is more than enough for me. Thank god for that, because I don't think I actually own any other Vita games. Also no region-locking, where is Shin Megami Tensei IV? :cry: At least Pokemon OmegaRuby & AlphaSapphire will come out on time.

Hoenn, ha rise from the ocean depths to send your fave gen to church.

um!!!!!!! vlr? danganronpa? persona? SMT4? pokemon, and more importantly, generation GOD (3)?

not your gaming tastes being as flawless as your music tastes

cory64

She's still trying it with those hooker boots, gogo boots have a low chunky heel. She might as well have gone full Emma Frost, that'd actually be a concept for once.

Iggy slayed tho, sis was feeling her oats all snatched up to the heavens

Vazduh

Eh, I expected much more than this, the lyric video was better.

Well, he said 'album', and idk. I'm sure GHV2 is fine, but I've never had reason to listen to it. I would agree that the 90s+Music is Madonna's all-killer no-filler era (five albums' worth, when will your faves), but each album is greater than the sum of its parts from a conceptual and musical perspective, so I suppose GHV2 is fine as long as it is used as an opportunity to explore further and not merely as 'Everything You Need to Know About Madonna'.

Although Immaculate Collection might objectively be a better album
(it probably is, actually, simply for Into The Groove, Like a Prayer and Vogue alone)
, I recommended GHV2 simply for the reasons you mentioned (all-killer, no-filler, plus, it's a great introduction to her later work as it's very accessible). But with Medoner, one can honestly do no wrong, except if one would use Hard Candy or MDNA as a starting point.

Let the gays in. I mean the song in.

That was a given, due to my immense thirst ;__;

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The Immaculate Collection is an album to me in the way that GHV2 isn't, possibly because picking up The Immaculate Collection is the best way of assimilating the early years and getting a distilled sense of 80s Madonna, as well as the conception of modern pop music. It's a historic album. I'll be honest in that even though I like her first three studio albums, Like A Prayer is the first one that has truly great album tracks (Til Death Do Us Part is amaaaazing) and so you can pick that up separately. Also, Immaculate Collection is the easiest way to get Vogue and Into the Groove.

Maybe it's because I'm older, but '80s Madonna has always been my favorite and the idea that those first three albums are anything less than classic is kinda painful to even comprehend. Her self-titled is literally hit after hit, with "I Know It" being the only modest sagging point; the other two aren't as strong with their album tracks (like you said, they aren't great but I mostly enjoy them regardless), but then again we're talking about albums where more than half the songs were released as singles - almost all of them now ~iconic~ in pop culture, naturally.

Talking about b-sides and whatnot, I really like a lot of the extended 12" and dub mixes we got back then, both of which sadly died out in the late '90s. There was some real artistry to those things, making a nice natural extension of the album versions. I think some of these are used on the greatest hits? I've never actually had one of her collections before, tbh. "I Want You" was a fantastic exclusive to Something To Remember, though. Also hard to believe that "Let Down Your Guard" has still never released outside the UK.

My interest definitely tapers off after RoL, although someone (Matt?) wrote up really great, insightful reviews of Music and American Life last year that got me to revisit them and now I've come to appreciate those eras more. I've since added them to my Queen Madge vinyl collection; just gotta find a copy of Erotica and I'll have a straight 20-year run on my shelf
ibw5kao1NiSmAJ.gif
I even have an embarassing 12" of Cosmic Climb/We Are the Gods, lordT.

cory64

Talking about b-sides and whatnot, I really like a lot of the extended 12" and dub mixes we got back then, both of which sadly died out in the late '90s. There was some real artistry to those things, making a nice natural extension of the album versions.

Preach it sis. Shep Pettibone is a god.

I've been getting into Janet recently and I'm actually impressed with the quality of some of her maligned, post-Superbowl music. I guess most of the criticism comes from the albums not having strong thematic consistency like Control, Rhythm Nation, Janet., or The Velvet Rope do, but on a song by song basis, there's a lot of potential hits. The whole of Damita Jo sounds like an alternative universe Janet Jackson Greatest Hits album.

Now to move onto 20 Y.O...
D5uJuyO.gif

There's a Khia feature on 20 Y.O.... what could go wrong?

Maybe it's because I'm older, but '80s Madonna has always been my favorite and the idea that those first three albums are anything less than classic is kinda painful to even comprehend. Her self-titled is literally hit after hit, with "I Know It" being the only modest sagging point; the other two aren't as strong with their album tracks (like you said, they aren't great but I mostly enjoy them regardless), but then again we're talking about albums where more than half the songs were released as singles - almost all of them now ~iconic~ in pop culture, naturally.

~iconic~

Teach me. I don't think it's just the age thing, I'm just really ignorant and opinionated :lol

I think that Like a Prayer was the first major leap in terms of sound with the intro to the title track being so rocky and different, and then it turning into choirs and gospel and all the rest of it, so it becomes very singular when you're going through her discography, and then everything feels distinct from that point onwards. LaP marks the moment when most critics etc. recognise the birth of Madonna as a shape-shifting phenomenon, and I guess I just go along with what critics say. Every album from that point onwards is very different in terms of image and musical style.

I tend to forget that Madonna, Like a Virgin and True Blue are quite small by modern album standards- Madonna is only eight tracks, LaV was nine until ITG made it ten, and True Blue is also ten. So it all goes by very quickly from a modern perspective, unlike back in the day :)P) when you had the time to get accustomed to them and absorbed them into the cultural consciousness.

Re-evaluating, I think I'll listen to them again. I've never really given them quite the same attention as Like a Prayer onwards because I've tended to view them as this homogeneous trinity of albums that embodied the 80s and I could just take the main hits and move on. I definitely liked them, more than the first three studio albums of any other pop artist you could name on first listen, but I never really tried hard with them because it all felt so familiar in the first place, almost.

Talking about b-sides and whatnot, I really like a lot of the extended 12" and dub mixes we got back then, both of which sadly died out in the late '90s. There was some real artistry to those things, making a nice natural extension of the album versions. I think some of these are used on the greatest hits? I've never actually had one of her collections before, tbh. "I Want You" was a fantastic exclusive to Something To Remember, though. Also hard to believe that "Let Down Your Guard" has still never released outside the UK.

Oh, yeah, I know about the extended mixes. I've gotten into hers, Donna Summer's and Grace Jones's 12"s quite a lot, actually. Just a shame they aren't likely to play them at the clubs in my neck of the woods, so I just dance on my own, lol.

I think some of them are bonuses on the remastered versions of the first three albums, and then of course people rip vinyls so they're on YouTube as well. My Dad actually owns some old CD singles so I've gotten some off of there as well. I actually regret how I neglected to distinguish them as their own thing, because I do like how you can get into a 12".

My interest definitely tapers off after RoL, although someone (Matt?) wrote up really great, insightful reviews of Music and American Life last year that got me to revisit them and now I've come to appreciate those eras more. I've since added them to my Queen Madge vinyl collection; just gotta find a copy of Erotica and I'll have a straight 20-year run on my shelf
ibw5kao1NiSmAJ.gif
I even have an embarassing 12" of Cosmic Climb/We Are the Gods, lordT.

You revisited Music and American Life, I'm revisiting the first three. Hee. Yeah, I adore Music because that was one half of my introduction to her. Ray of Light, from the first bars of Drowned World/SfL through to Mer Girl, had me transfixed (and Mer Girl is still the most evocative non-Kate Bush song I've ever heard), so it was interesting to move directly from that to a bit more of a party album with strange vocal effects out the wazoo.

American Life is interesting. It's very odd. It's worth a few listens, but I don't put it on a portable like most of her other stuff because I can't really take tracks out of it in the same way. It's a bold political statement, and I find it interesting that it actually spawned 7 Top Billboard Dance Hits or whatever because it just makes me think too much to dance lol.

Sis, I would totally collect vinyls if I had the equipment and the money lol. As it stands my Dad has a huge collection but nothing to play them on. I just take them out to look at the artwork sometimes, it's weird how good-looking some album covers really are when they have big pictures. It's a shame how nowadays album art has basically become irrelevant because it's a completely different market.

I think it's interesting to hear your viewpoint, because it's one thing to analyse things dispassionately but it's always good to hear from someone who actually lived it. I just read articles and think I'm an expert, lol.

/essay

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
So just when I was coming round to A Sky Full Of Stars, Coldplay performed it live on Graham Norton and it was just horrendous

edit; Chris has a hideous speaking voice too. Sounds a bit drunk tbh, slurring his words

Koodo

Banned
I've been getting into Janet recently and I'm actually impressed with the quality of some of her maligned, post-Superbowl music. I guess most of the criticism comes from the albums not having strong thematic consistency like Control, Rhythm Nation, Janet., or The Velvet Rope do, but on a song by song basis, there's a lot of potential hits. The whole of Damita Jo sounds like an alternative universe Janet Jackson Greatest Hits album.

D5uJuyO.gif

Discipline the alber has amazing songs but Janice went overboard with the thirst. Qorl was making me look quenched in comparison.

Nemesis_

I don't know what these are.

Oh, sigh. Maybe it was for the best then.

Have you heard the Japanese bonus track for Music, Cyber-Raga? It sounds like a Ray of Light outtake and very similar to Shanti/Ashtangi.

I got around to trying this. It's like a bit of a fast paced Lykke Li/M.I.A. song. I'm not a huge fan if I'm being totally honest.

Shanti/Ashtangi is probably my least favourite song from Ray of Light too, though. So that's probably why. I agree they sound remarkably similar.

I love History, though.

wait this shits. It kind of sounds like a sonic predecessor to I'm Addicted.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Iggy doesn't look good in this video. I was thinking they'd have some more hard-hitting choreography, or maybe even something that simulates the energy of that blaring sax in the song. Otherwise, pretty standard music video.

ibbF1eCxKUp2J8.gif
They've done the EXACT same choreo in all of the live song performances too. Its lifeless and worn out. They need to stop.

3phemeral

They've done the EXACT same choreo in all of the live song performances too. Its lifeless and worn out. They need to stop.

I don't expect much when she's still using that same wig. At least she stopped wearing the baby-doll dresses, though. That's a relief.

ibxYDh3Jrr8Xrf.gif

Zutroy

I saw Foxes tonight, she was amazing! Sounded great and tones of energy.

Was in the tiniest venue I've ever seen, so was only meters away from her. It was packed as well so a good crowd.

Despite being so close I only got one semi-decent pic.

k61UGFc.jpg

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I saw Foxes tonight, she was amazing! Sounded great and tones of energy.

Was in the tiniest venue I've ever seen, so was only meters away from her. It was packed as well so a good crowd.

Despite being so close I only got one semi-decent pic.

k61UGFc.jpg

Yass stan ha.

Mess @ Let Me Down Gently being on Spotify, but not Uptight Downtown.

This is actually the first time I've listened to Let Me Down Gently. It's pretty okay. But it ain't no Uptight Downtown.

cory64

D5uJuyO.gif

If there's a lie in this post I couldn't find ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom