• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Maleficent was shit, literally. Frozen remains unbothered.

ibtB1Vzf82abnL.gif

But at least Queen Joliesus was beat to death.

Maleficent is a stone cold flop. I'm SO GLAD I saw the review thread in OT before me and my BFF wasted our money on that trainwreck. And it sucks cuz I love Maleficent the character and thought Jolie would slay.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I love Maleficent the character and thought Jolie would slay.

She does slay in the role, and frankly, it's (almost) worth the price of admission just for her. The movie being ugly, jumbled, revisionist bullshit shouldn't surprise anyone, though. This is Disney we're talking about here...

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
As long as the release of this movie means they're gonna buckle the fuck down and make Tron 3, well

ibtB1Vzf82abnL.gif

If the movie sells tons they wont care about the negative feedback. Also they have Cinderella next after this which we'll see how that does. As for Tron I dont care lol.

Koodo

Banned
Did anyone else buy the Mario Kart 8 bundle? I can't figure out how to download ma free game. It's all registered but it's still asking if I wanna purchase Pikmin 3 instead of getting it for free. Sigh
You get the code in Club Nintendo.

And Maleficent was shit. I'm fuming at the bait and switch.

Styles

I don't own a WiiU either. Was gonna purchase one for MH, but sanity eventually caught up to me.
ibtB1Vzf82abnL.gif

I bought a 3DS for Pokemon, though. That's the only game I have for it.
ibtB1Vzf82abnL.gif

Turn that frown upside down.

Nintendo will likely be dropping the price significantly later this year, along with including additional perks. :)

That's what I've been holding out for, but Mario Kart and Wind Waker have tempted me. I just..really want to play it.

In the meantime, I'll just have to hijack my friend's system. :)

Here comes the rain again
Falling on my head like a memory
Falling on my head like a new emotion
I want to walk in the open wind
I want to talk like lovers do
I want to dive into your ocean
Is it raining with you
iccCq9HLkabDB.gif

So baby talk to me
Like lovers do
Walk with me
Like lovers do
Talk to me
Like lovers do

Is anyone else into this album? I promise it's not shit.

Will listen rn.

ibtB1Vzf82abnL.gif

[edit]: Am three tracks in. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit bored.

[edit 2]: I Don't Hate You is nice. It breaks the sedative effect of the first three songs.

[edit 3]: White Doves slés a bit.

[edit 4]: The Knife. I FUCKING LIVE.

[edit 5]: Fly. Here for this low key bop.

[edit 6]: Never That Young is all right.

[edit 7]: Get It has potential. Probably a grower.

In conclusion, Cut Your Teeth, Maia, Cannibals, and I'll Call For You are sleep aids.

And while there isn't a bussy shattering antherm on this alber at least after one listen, it's still a very solid offering overall.

ibtB1Vzf82abnL.gif

Everything seems big when you have small hands.
ibtB1Vzf82abnL.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

This thread has been tew much tonight.

Britney_Spears_-_Blackout.png

This is my 'the world is going to end soon but I'm going to be fierce and ready for it' album. As it ramps up to exams, I go from low-tempo to high-tempo. I can't focus with low-tempo any more, bye for now Baths :(

This is actually the only Britney album I've listened to all the way through. In the Zone is supposed to be decent, right? It has MATM and Toxic, at the very least.

Blackout is such an amazing album. As someone who was never a Britney fan, listening to that at the time was almost like a lesson in the sociology of fame or something. There's never been a public character assassination in pop culture as swift or severe as Britney's, and I was so blown away by how introspective Blackout was given how exposed her personal life was. Everyone thought they had her figured out; that she was just some naive airhead who lacked the creative spirit or finesse to get her life together, but the album showed the opposite. It showed her being complex, maniacal but calculated, unhinged but self-aware. It really is a once-in-a-career type of album and I'm glad it became the silent musical juggernaut that it is because it deserves it.

Nemesis_

Britney_Spears_-_Blackout.png

This is my 'the world is going to end soon but I'm going to be fierce and ready for it' album. As it ramps up to exams, I go from low-tempo to high-tempo. I can't focus with low-tempo any more, bye for now Baths :(

This is actually the only Britney album I've listened to all the way through. In the Zone is supposed to be decent, right? It has MATM and Toxic, at the very least.

I skip more on In The Zone than I do for Blackout. But In The Zone has one of her greatest songs ever on it.

I think that In The Zone is her most overrated album, amongst her stans, at least. ._. I also think Me Against The Music doesn't hold up today

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
So Max Elto and their Raped Rai EP are absolutely slaying me
Sweeden, not even a single flaw

Also finally a male vocalist that I really enjoy

Vazduh

I hope I don't get a lot of flack for this, but I find Femme Fatale to be a pretty good pop album from start to finish, even if there's nothing substantial about it. Like him or not, Dr. Luke can craft a decent tune, especially when paired up with Max Martin. They make for a great team.

In The Zone is decent, mostly because of Toxic, Early Morning, Breathe on Me and Everytime, I think you can just focus on those songs and forget the rest, IMHO.
I agree with Nemesis, MATM hasn't aged very well mostly because even ten years ago it was more like an event song, something that was huge back then simply for the fact that two pop titans collaborated together. The magnitude of their collaboration managed to overshadow the mediocrity of the song.

Will listen rn.

ibtB1Vzf82abnL.gif

[edit]: Am three tracks in. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit bored.

[edit 2]: I Don't Hate You is nice. It breaks the sedative effect of the first three songs.

[edit 3]: White Doves slés a bit.

[edit 4]: The Knife. I FUCKING LIVE.

[edit 5]: Fly. Here for this low key bop.

[edit 6]: Never That Young is all right.

[edit 7]: Get It has potential. Probably a grower.

In conclusion, Cut Your Teeth, Maia, Cannibals, and I'll Call For You are sleep aids.

And while there isn't a bussy shattering antherm on this alber at least after one listen, it's still a very solid offering overall.

ibtB1Vzf82abnL.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

This thread has been tew much tonight.

Danity Kane's Lemonade (that Clipse sample <3 ) and La Roux's Uptight Downtown are my jams right now.

RTWWkGU.gif

I'm going to give it a listen, I promise :)

Thank you. :)

ibtB1Vzf82abnL.gif

Mumei

Oh dear lord, Mariah is starting to sing Heavenly on her special right now. *bites fingers*

Surprised she did some of the belts live but she must have gotten better at lipping because (with my low quality stream), I couldn't tell. They did cut away to the choir a lot, so that probably helped. Definitely had to lip a lot of those last belts due to the quick cuts and that really horribly distorted whisper she does at "I don't believe. No!"

I'm watching it now, and some of the lipping is really blatant. Trying to fool anyone lipping those processed whistles in Money? Ch...

3phemeral

I'm watching it now, and some of the lipping is really blatant. Trying to fool anyone lipping those processed whistles in Money? Ch...

I only caught Heavenly last night. I'm going to watch the rest of it after I finish making lunch so I'm not looking forward to it. What I found interesting on Heavenly is that it may have came off as less "unnatural" when you watch her do those sped-up falsettos at the end, but on record, you can clearly tell it's so off.

I heard she doesn't come off as so outlandish in this interview, though, which is what I'm looking forward to.

I skip more on In The Zone than I do for Blackout. But In The Zone has one of her greatest songs ever on it.

I think that In The Zone is her most overrated album, amongst her stans, at least. ._. I also think Me Against The Music doesn't hold up today

In The Zone is decent, mostly because of Toxic, Early Morning, Breathe on Me and Everytime, I think you can just focus on those songs and forget the rest, IMHO.
I agree with Nemesis, MATM hasn't aged very well mostly because even ten years ago it was more like an event song, something that was huge back then simply for the fact that two pop titans collaborated together. The magnitude of their collaboration managed to overshadow the mediocrity of the song.

Yeah, listening to it again now MATM hasn't aged very well. I still remember the music video though, and that of Toxic, right down to all the phases and whatever. Queens of music videos, the pair of them. The video isn't really a thing any more, but I guess MTV and channels of that ilk aren't either. (But YouTube is so idk)

I put ITZ on shuffle whilst I was working earlier, and I actually got quite a Beyonce feel from some of the album tracks aside from the ones you mentioned. Heavy use of Arabian strings etc, some of it reminded me of Baby Boy tbh. But the ones that were highlighted are pretty great, Breathe on Me is wahndafuhl <3

Monogamy is the way to go/Just put your lips together and blow

Toxic still sounds incredibly current, though, and very individual. It's legitimately in the Top Ten Singles of the 2000s tbh. Britney's selection of collaborators and focus on what she wants to do is artistic vision in itself, I think.

I think I'll just dump her discography in a Spotify playlist and listen on shuffle, see what I like and don't like.

Mumei

I only caught Heavenly last night. I'm going to watch the rest of it after I finish making lunch so I'm not looking forward to it. What I found interesting on Heavenly is that it may have came off as less "unnatural" when you watch her do those sped-up falsettos at the end, but on record, you can clearly tell it's so off.

I heard she doesn't come off as so outlandish in this interview, though, which is what I'm looking forward to.

It's just sad to see. She's clearly recorded an album that she's not capable of performing live -at all- and she's not just lipping parts of the song; she's lipping the entire song. And after seeing her at the beginning of 2012 sounding like she was in better voice than she'd been in years, I at least expected her to sing the non-belted portions live.

Mau ®;114286912 said:
Rih blocked one of her biggest stans on Twitter. Girl was looking for it tho kiiii
Bo8tFVUIUAASFhv.jpg

This just reinforces why I love her so much. She revels in the talents of her contemporaries as opposed to tearing them down.

Someone we can all learn from. An icon, not just musically, but also as a human being.

Saint Rihanna tbh

<3

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
This just reinforces why I love her so much. She revels in the talents of her contemporaries as opposed to tearing them down.

Someone we can all learn from. An icon, not just musically, but also as a human being.

Saint Rihanna tbh

<3

Erm, somebody forgot to give ciara the memo

Mau ®

Saint Rihanna tbh

<3

Yes, she's not afraid to stan her contemporaries.

Like when she was stanning Artpop's best song.

At the time the only way to listen to Sexxx Dreams was by watching the iTunes Festival show Gaga did. Rih was deff checking for the Artpop era.

3phemeral

It's just sad to see. She's clearly recorded an album that she's not capable of performing live -at all- and she's not just lipping parts of the song; she's lipping the entire song. And after seeing her at the beginning of 2012 sounding like she was in better voice than she'd been in years, I at least expected her to sing the non-belted portions live.

This is really the first time that the manipulated belts are obvious, and this is coming from someone who can't hear if any previous album used and kind of trickery. Only thing I would possibly notice would be maybe more resonant/layered belts, but beyond that, nothing as obvious that some of these tracks display. I saw a range video for MIAMTEC yesterday that included those protooled notes and I just couldn't.

Still love the album, though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom