• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Natalia Kills - Trouble is officially dope in my book!

Dope Tracks:

Television - "This ain't fucking Jerry Springer"
Problem - "...and we ain't even at the beach; even at the beach"
Stop Me - "I put my high heels on so I'm closer to GOD"
Boys Don't Cry
Saturday Night
Devils Don't Fly - "I've got chains, and you've got wings"
Outta Time
Controversy - "DON'T DRINK THE COOL-AID!!"
Rabbit Hole - "fuck hard, howl at the moon like an animal"
Watching You - "Out of all the stupid boys I knew, I had to fall for YOU"
Trouble

It's an extremely cohesive album. The album title sums out the theme of the album, WHICH IS GREAT! Much respect to Natalia Kills!
Yes, stan.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Natalia Kills - Trouble is officially dope in my book!

Dope Tracks:

Television - "This ain't fucking Jerry Springer"
Problem - "...and we ain't even at the beach; even at the beach"
Stop Me - "I put my high heels on so I'm closer to GOD"
Boys Don't Cry
Saturday Night
Devils Don't Fly - "I've got chains, and you've got wings"
Outta Time
Controversy - "DON'T DRINK THE COOL-AID!!"
Rabbit Hole - "fuck hard, howl at the moon like an animal"
Watching You - "Out of all the stupid boys I knew, I had to fall for YOU"
Trouble

It's an extremely cohesive album. The album title sums out the theme of the album, WHICH IS GREAT! Much respect to Natalia Kills!

Stan
tumblr_mrovyx1pYY1rq4lweo1_500.gif

I didn't realise that the Britney song "And Then We Kiss" had an original version which leaked. I like it a lot, actually. Much better than the Junkie XL remix.

I love her more intimate songs- ATWK, Breathe on Me, Heaven on Earth, Unusual You... sigh, I may be stanning a bit. Britney Jean was upsetting and I'm not too fond of her first three albums, but I've been listening to the remaining three (sans Blackout because that's already one of my albums of the forever) and they're all very good pop albums.

She really was the bridge between Madonna and modern pop music, in a sense. The superstar inheritance is Madonna > Britney > Rihanna.

Ooh, that Caribou song is a bop. Let me dive into Swim on Spotify.

Majmun

^ I survived it

And is Mariah's new album flopping, or what? 57k sold in US and 5.6k sold in the UK. Not a great debut.

Touchdown and Mumei, are you ok? Now you know how Xtina fans feel.

Touchdown

Banned
^ I survived it

And is Mariah's new album flopping, or what? 57k sold in US and 5.6k sold in the UK. Not a great debut.

Touchdown and Mumei, are you ok? Now you know how Xtina fans feel.

tumblr_n6kbjl03U61tozbp8o2_250.gif

Another top 3 debut for Mariah 24 years into the game, slay!
67d90ee8.gif
67d90ee8.gif

I see the album sales stabilizing and even picking up once You Don't Know What To Do is pushed.

^ What you call "fierce confidence" I call "vacantly pretty." She's not fierce to me. But to each her own :/

Mau ®;114606070 said:
LOL pls.

OT-X will be the STANDARD.

Been planning this bitch for a while now.

I'm perched sis *.*

Been waiting for that PM you promised though, tbh

royalan

^ What you call "fierce confidence" I call "pretty but oblivious." That's not fierce to me. But to each her own :/

I'm perched sis *.*

Been waiting for that PM you promised though, tbh

I think Rihanna is very much aware of how she comes off, and I don't think she cares. And I don't think we've EVER seen that from a popstar as big and consistently successful at maintaining the public eye as Rihanna.

The public loves her, and her brand only gets BIGGER...and she does nothing BUT be exactly who she is. How many of our faves would kill to have it like that?

I think Rihanna is very much aware of how she comes off, and I don't think she cares. And I don't think we've EVER seen that from a popstar as big and consistently successful at maintaining the public eye as Rihanna.

The public loves her, and her brand only gets BIGGER...and she does nothing BUT be exactly who she is. How many of our faves would kill to have it like that?

I don't think the public loves her. I don't really think most of the public even thinks of her. I think she's maintained a moderate to solid relationship with the media and the mainstream because she's never been a big enough presence to create enemies. Beyonce was making New York Times-caliber news just from her vacation in Cuba. Rihanna posts pictures of herself smoking weed on Instagram and nobody seems to bat a lash, meanwhile they roast Miley on a spit for smoking one at a concert. Aside from the Chris Brown-related stories, Rihanna isn't really on the radar of the BIG media outlets, like The New York Times, late night talk shows, news shows, things like that. She's very prevalent in the pop music scene, yes, but that doesn't mean that she's spoken of outside of that context. I think there's a separation in people's minds between being successful on radio or iTunes, and being a major pop cultural force. Is she a very famous woman? Of course she is, and I'm not doubting that. But given her success in the pop music sector, her brand power is actually relatively small. It seems to me that it's mostly just pop music fans that are overstating her brand power or pop cultural relevance, and aren't willing to remove themselves from that context to look at her across the broader spectrum.

I don't mean to make this another "I'm shitting on Rihanna" thing though; I think she does have the potential to get her brand up there with some of the bigger girls, but it seems to me that she's doing it quite gradually.

royalan

I don't think the public loves her. I don't really think most of the public even thinks of her. I think she's maintained a moderate to solid relationship with the media and the mainstream because she's never been a big enough presence to create enemies. Beyonce was making New York Times-caliber news just from her vacation in Cuba. Rihanna posts pictures of herself smoking weed on Instagram and nobody seems to bat a lash, meanwhile they roast Miley on a spit for smoking one at a concert. Aside from the Chris Brown-related stories, Rihanna isn't really on the radar of the BIG media outlets, like The New York Times, late night talk shows, news shows, things like that. She's very prevalent in the pop music scene, yes, but that doesn't mean that she's spoken of outside of that context. I think there's a separation in people's minds between being successful on radio or iTunes, and being a major pop cultural force. Is she a very famous woman? Of course she is, and I'm not doubting that. But given her success in the pop music sector, her brand power is actually relatively small. It seems to me that it's mostly just pop music fans that are overstating her brand power or pop cultural relevance, and aren't willing to remove themselves from that context to look at her across the broader spectrum.

I don't mean to make this another "I'm shitting on Rihanna" thing though; I think she does have the potential to get her brand up there with some of the bigger girls, but it seems to me that she's doing it quite gradually.

Sis, not even you can believe this.

Major publications wrote about Rihanna closing her Instagram account. She JUST accepted an FASHION ICON award, presented by Anna Wintour herself. If that isn't brand power, if that ISN'T public adoration, if that isn't more than just being a minor footnote in Pop culture, then I don't know what is. The truth is Rihanna has shattered every possible metric for fame and impact that you could throw at her, and you know it.

Also, that Beyonce (AND jay Z) made headlines for traveling to Cuba wasn't just because they're "them" and the public cares. It was because under normal circumstances it's kind of illegal for American citizens to travel there, and they seemed to have no real reason to be there...which raised legal questions.

Mau ®

Sorry sis.

Rihanna is the most googled popstar in the last year. On average, she even trends above Bey (tho Bey had higher peaks during her surprise release). She also trends higher than Katy AND Gaga despite them all being in the middle of their respective eras (Katy having a couple of BIG hits too).

Interest in RIhanna is higher than all pop girls while SHE'S ON A BREAK. That should tell you something.

OOfda8u.png

Mau ®

GAF is becoming a bit too strict with pics of women.

I understand the reason for the Rihanna dress but I was posting normal pics of Godess Emma Watson and some mod kept deleting my posts :S

Not trying to start shit but just saying.

Mumei

Mau ®;114618664 said:
GAF is becoming a bit too strict with pics of women.

I understand the reason for the Rihanna dress but I was posting normal pics of Godess Emma Watson and some mod kept deleting my posts :S

Not trying to start shit but just saying.

"Kept" deleting? Why would you try posting it again? <_____<

Touchdown

Banned
Leona has signed to island records. :eek:

Leona Lewis signs to Island Records
Leona Lewis has signed to Island Records, leaving Sony after seven years. Lewis, who won The X Factor in 2006 and has gone on to sell over 20 million records, commented 'To me Island has always been a label where artists can really flourish and are encouraged to express themselves. Island stands for quality music and signing with such a legendary label is really like a dream come true for me. I can't wait to start making music with my new team'.

president of Island Darcus Beese think about it all?
“We are absolutely delighted to welcome Leona into the Island family. I’ve watched and admired Miss Lewis from afar, witnessed her grow into one of this country’s most formidable female artists. Witnessed a girl from Hackney making and breaking records, topping the UK and US charts, earning numerous Brit and Grammy nominations, while remaining true to herself and her principles. All the while maintaining a genuine down to earth appeal. Soon as the ink dries, it’s on to the most exciting part of all, getting into the studio and making the record we know Leona has in her.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom