• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
20ish more minutes til Ultraviolence right?? Where do I go to catch it? I haven't heard the live performance yet so I don't know what to expect, though I always play Lana Del Rey Bingo when I hear a new song of hers, she needs to have at least five of these words in there for it to be a legit Lana track

Daddy
Son
Cocaine
Queen of Saigon
America
Elvis
Beach/Water/River
Sad
Sweet
Coney Island
My heart/Your heart/Our hearts

SaintZ

20ish more minutes til Ultraviolence right?? Where do I go to catch it? I haven't heard the live performance yet so I don't know what to expect, though I always play Lana Del Rey Bingo when I hear a new song of hers, she needs to have at least five of these words in there for it to be a legit Lana track

Daddy
Son
Cocaine
Queen of Saigon
America
Elvis
Beach/Water/River
Sad
Sweet
Coney Island
My heart/Your heart/Our hearts
It's premiering in 3 minutes, supposedly. They are playing West Coast rn. Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_one#

ITS OOOOOOON.

It reminds me of Born To Die.

Vazduh

He hit me and it felt like a kiss

CeoRzwg.gif

Sucks to be a visual type sometimes.

As for the song, eh, it's exactly what I expected from her. It's solid, but I was hoping she'd take a bit more risks with this album, honestly. Aside from the questionable lyrics, of course.

btw, I'm aware that the lyric is probably a reference to this song.

Yado

Honestly, these songs are so boring. Even that one I liked.
Were all of her interesting songs on that stolen hard drive?
isgYGjozZvmo2.gif

I don't know how I feel about Ultraviolence on a second listen. The production is nice and her vocals are solid, but it's so typical Lana that I found myself getting bored.

I don't think West Coast and Shades of Cool are boring, both of them have nice melodies and big sweeping choruses. How does she go from that to repeating Ultraviolence over and over again?

isgYGjozZvmo2.gif

Yado

I have certain standards set for Lana and none of these tracks have met them, Shades of Cool is ok but none of these tracks have what made Lana interesting in the first place.
Where's the charm? Where's the intrigue? Where's the darkness she promised?
iblvnZvyFMFTk7.gif

What all three of her songs have in common is that her vocals are drowned out by these big sweeping productions that, while great, make the overall tone of the songs sound really really dreary. I feel like I can't really hear HER, and none of what she's saying in these songs hold much punch. It all kind of blends together, tender mid-octave for the verses, then kind of a swampy chorus and then a high-octave outro. I much prefer her delivering interesting one-liners with that gorgeous lower tone, like the first line in Ride, Born To Die or Back To The Races. I'm sure some other songs will showcase that in spades but I'm kind of bummed that all three UV songs we've heard come off as kind of inter-changeable thematically and in structure.

Majmun

Which track did you feel the vocals were processed or had manipulated whistles?

“Cry.”
“Faded”
“Dedicated” (feat. Nas)
“#Beautiful” (feat. Miguel)
“Thirsty”
“Make It Look Good”
“You’re Mine (Eternal)”
“You Don’t Know What to Do” (feat. Wale)
“Supernatural”
“Meteorite”
“Camouflage”
“Money ($ * / …)” [feat. Fabolous]
“One More Try”
“Heavenly (No Ways Tired/Can’t Give Up Now)”
“It’s a Wrap” (feat. Mary J. Blige)
“Betcha Gon’ Know” (feat. R. Kelly)
“The Art of Letting Go”

Touchdown

Banned
“Cry.”
“Faded”
“Dedicated” (feat. Nas)
“#Beautiful” (feat. Miguel)
“Thirsty”
“Make It Look Good”
“You’re Mine (Eternal)”
“You Don’t Know What to Do” (feat. Wale)
“Supernatural”
“Meteorite”
“Camouflage”
“Money ($ * / …)” [feat. Fabolous]
“One More Try”
“Heavenly (No Ways Tired/Can’t Give Up Now)”
“It’s a Wrap” (feat. Mary J. Blige)
“Betcha Gon’ Know” (feat. R. Kelly)
“The Art of Letting Go”

It's interesting I haven't read any reviews yet that have mentioned these blatant vocal manipulations you mentioned.

ibenFr6M81xYIQ.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't know how I feel about Ultraviolence on a second listen. The production is nice and her vocals are solid, but it's so typical Lana that I found myself getting bored.

West Coast aside, this is how I'm beginning to feel about Lana too.

Anyway, so Owen Pallett is still doing his musical analysis of pop music thing, and while I appreciate the attempt to show fans of Real Music™ that pop music is not the artistically bereft medium that they claim it is, at the same time, I kind of feel as though you maybe shouldn't even be looking to frame pop music in those terms, because it's not really what pop is about.

Vazduh

A moment ago one of Dionne Bromfield's song came up on shuffle, and I had to see whether she's releasing anything soon. It seems that her third album should be out this year. For those who don't know, she's late Amy Winehouse's godchild, and more or less her soundalike and successor. Here are a few nice tunes from her previous release:

Dionne Bromfield - Good For The Soul

Dionne Bromfield - Sweetest Thing (Spotify link)

Dionne Bromfield - Ouch That Hurt (Spotify link)

Mau ®;114763606 said:
Grimes wrote a song for Rihanna's new album.

Rih turned it down tho.

Ch...

That sucks, but at least Grimes kept it for herself. I'm curious as how she will sound in full-on pop mode.

Aguila

#ICONIC
There's this long Lana interview with Fader Magazine and it is pretty damn good. One of her best yet:

On feminism:

Whenever people bring up feminism, I’m like, god. I’m just not really that interested.” Fortunately, her ambivalence about the political implications of her work doesn’t undo any subversiveness that may be embedded (though, nor does it excuse any ill it may cause). When pressed, she adds, more illuminatingly, “My idea of a true feminist is a woman who feels free enough to do whatever she wants.” I ask her why she’s always being choked in her videos, and she gives a fitting answer: “I like a little hardcore love.

She had a relationship with a label executive:

In a Lizzy Grant-era piece for the Huffington Post, she told a reporter, “Strangest performance: Alone in a basement for a handsome record executive. Strangest [song] ever written: Back at his office while I was making out with him.” When I ask her if she regrets joking like that, given how often people perceived her as a puppet of some executive team, she says, no, the story was true: “I had a seven-year relationship with the head of this label, and he was a huge inspiration to me. I’ll tell you later when more people know. He never signed me, but he was like my muse, the love of my life.” Rather than shying away from the snake pit that is sex and power, she walks right in. On Ultraviolence, there’s even a song called “Fucked My Way Up
to the Top.”

There's also a behind scenes of the photoshoot

Yas bitch, drag the mop of hair from new zealand.

The second quote sounds like something out of a movie. GET THAT D awrgnlawebf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom