• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenovox1

oX271SA.jpg

Album title: "I'm Not Bossy, I'm The Boss"

Sinead O'Connor coming for wigs.

Leona has signed to island records. :eek:
bMJzWL.gif

Thanks lawD. The only reason she did the Christmas album (good as it turned out) was to fulfill her five-album deal with Syco.

I'm so glad she'll be with a studio where she won't have to compete for money and attention with One Direction and the gaggle of young upstarts shat out by X-Factor every year who flop laterally for a few months until being unceremoniously dropped.

#leonalewis2014careerdomination

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Thanks lawD. The only reason she did the Christmas album (good as it turned out) was to fulfill her five-album deal with Syco.

I'm so glad she'll be with a studio where she won't have to compete for money and attention with One Direction and the gaggle of young upstarts shat out by X-Factor every year who flop laterally for a few months until being unceremoniously dropped.

#leonalewis2014careerdomination
Mmm... Moving to Island didn't do much for Janet Jackson.

She also has new management.

Lewis, 29, is now managed by Bruce Eskowitz and Seb Webber at Red Light Management

aka Adele's erstwhile team.

Simon's not happy, but with the mismanagement of her past few eras (i.e. Syco's tendency to jettison an entire era if the first single isn't a massive hit), who can blame her for bailing?

LEONA LEWIS has never upset anybody in her life.

But the singer has left SIMON COWELL feeling emptier than his shirt buttonholes by securing her own exit from his label Syco.

The former X Factor winner announced her new deal with Island Records yesterday — more than seven years after she became the ITV show’s first big winner.

But despite Simon tweeting his support for Leona, the music mogul was privately stunned by her departure.

A source said: “Simon assumed Leona would remain a part of the Sony family long-term — leaving Syco but moving on to another section of the label.

“She negotiated the deal behind Simon’s back despite knowing he wanted her to stay.

“It’s a real blow and Simon feels snubbed.”

Shortly after Leona’s new deal was announced, the X Factor chief tweeted: “Congratulations Leona. We had 7 great years together and now wish you all the best for the future. You put X Factor on the map. X” Simon must have been tweeting with steam coming out of his ears, as he had big plans for her.

It was his idea to release Leona’s successful Christmas album last year and it was viewed as a launch pad for bigger things. But ultimately Leona felt she was going stale at Syco and needed a change.

She also knew she was low down on the label’s list of priorities.

Leona, who was recently named as the most successful British female solo artist in UK chart history, talked about the move in a statement.

She said: “After seven incredible years at Sony I feel honoured to be given the opportunity to sign to perhaps the most iconic label of all, Island Records. To me Island has always been a label where artists can really flourish and are encouraged to express themselves.

“Island stands for quality music and signing with such a legendary label is really like a dream come true for me.

“I can’t wait to start making music with my new team.”

Fingers crossed she can translate some of this new-found attitude into her music.

royalan

She also has new management.

aka Adele's erstwhile team.

Simon's not happy, but with the mismanagement of her past few eras (i.e. Syco's tendency to jettison an entire era if the first single isn't a massive hit), who can blame her for bailing?

LOL - I don't think anybody believes that Leona's Christmas album was going to be a "launch pad for bigger things." Not with the way things ran cold as soon as the initial promo hit.

Simon knows damn well he had no plans for Leona other the sticking to the status quo. Good for her getting out of there.

LOL - I don't think anybody believes that Leona's Christmas album was going to be a "launch pad for bigger things." Not with the way things ran cold as soon as the initial promo hit.

Simon knows damn well he had no plans for Leona other the sticking to the status quo. Good for her getting out of there.
Overall, I'm not terribly optimistic. Her time came and went, and she's terrible at maintaining any sort of presence in the public consciousness.

I can only hope that her future level of promo will be commensurate with how good I know her next album will be. Glassheart is still a unforgivable tragedy of epic proportions.

cory64

I feel so disconnected from Rihanna now, it's like she's been born into a higher world. And in this case I believe it to be the literal truth

cory64

RIHANNA'S HOT R&B/HIP-HOP TOP 10S
Umbrella #4 (#39 year-end 2007)
Take A Bow #1 (#28 year-end 2008
Live Your Life #2 (#17 year-end 2009)
Run This Town #3 (#46 year-end 2009)
Rude Boy #2 (#25 year-end 2010)
Love The Way You Lie #7 (#59 year-end 2010)
What's My Name? #2 (#18 year-end 2011
All of the Lights #2 (#12 year-end 2011)
Man Down #9 (#47 year-end 2011)
Birthday Cake #2 (#15 year-end 2012)

---switch to airplay chart because of rule change---

Pour It Up #1 Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay (#6 Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs) #4 year-end 2013
Lov7 Song #7 (#14) #11 year-end 2013
Bad #1 (#5) #3 year-end 2013

This decade's Urban Queen, tho it took her a while to claim her crown

Holy shit this song was in a commercial for something shitty and I can't for the life of me remember what it is, all I know is part of the chorus is burned into my brain forever. They cut the problem bit out so all you got was "THAT GIRL IS A--YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT ME".

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Holy shit this song was in a commercial for something shitty and I can't for the life of me remember what it is, all I know is part of the chorus is burned into my brain forever. They cut the problem bit out so all you got was "THAT GIRL IS A--YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT ME".

Shoedazzle

Vazduh

nnnn
tiJdxY9.png

LAWD...

Shades of Cool in headphone is a DIVINE experience...

I hope you weren't about to steal your best friend's husband :eek:

HMbYHMd.gif

I didn't enjoy that Wye Oak album. Civilian is excellent but this one...eh

Somehow I managed to skip that one, I'm going to give it a listen.

I feel like this song alone nearly managed to outdo Sleigh Bells at their own territory, at least when it comes to their third album.

Not sure if anyone here checks for them but Die Antwoord released their 3rd album "Donker Mag" today to a mass reaction so far of "ok girl".

Includes a few bops such as "Cookie Thumper!", "Pitbull Terrier" and "HAPPY GO SUCKY FUCKY"*.

*(caps included for extra oomph)

Vazduh

Time for some music news!

GRL have released their new single on iTunes (which you might have heard before since it leaked a couple of weeks ago). It's called Ugly Heart, and it was co-written by Ester Dean and Dr. Luke. Since the girls are Dr. Luke's concubines proteges, one shouldn't be surprised he also produced the thing.

noDECts.jpg

GRL - Ugly Heart

Sounds a bit like Ke$ha's Last Goodbye, don't you think?

Next we have Ameriie's new single, in the form of a lyric video.

7Moqxgy.jpg

Ameriie - What I Want

Personally, I expected a lot more since she's been hyping her project Cymatika since forever. I'm not saying it's not good, but it's nothing spectacular, either.

And I've saved the best for the last.

9tVCth3.jpg

There's no preview yet, but the song will be out in a couple of days.

Jesus, take the wheel. And the mic from Psy's hands, while you're at it.

b07bbWe.gif

SaintZ

There's this long Lana interview with Fader Magazine and it is pretty damn good. One of her best yet:

On feminism:
Whenever people bring up feminism, I’m like, god. I’m just not really that interested.” Fortunately, her ambivalence about the political implications of her work doesn’t undo any subversiveness that may be embedded (though, nor does it excuse any ill it may cause). When pressed, she adds, more illuminatingly, “My idea of a true feminist is a woman who feels free enough to do whatever she wants.” I ask her why she’s always being choked in her videos, and she gives a fitting answer: “I like a little hardcore love.
She had a relationship with a label executive:
In a Lizzy Grant-era piece for the Huffington Post, she told a reporter, “Strangest performance: Alone in a basement for a handsome record executive. Strangest [song] ever written: Back at his office while I was making out with him.” When I ask her if she regrets joking like that, given how often people perceived her as a puppet of some executive team, she says, no, the story was true: “I had a seven-year relationship with the head of this label, and he was a huge inspiration to me. I’ll tell you later when more people know. He never signed me, but he was like my muse, the love of my life.” Rather than shying away from the snake pit that is sex and power, she walks right in. On Ultraviolence, there’s even a song called “Fucked My Way Up
to the Top.”
There's also a behind scenes of the photoshoot

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
noDECts.jpg

GRL - Ugly Heart

Sounds a bit like Ke$ha's Last Goodbye, don't you think?

This is unusual. At the start it sound like it would make a good World Cup song, then it goes kind of Disney High School Musical.

Next we have Ameriie's new single, in the form of a lyric video.

7Moqxgy.jpg

Ameriie - What I Want

Personally, I expected a lot more since she's been hyping her project Cymatika since forever. I'm not saying it's not good, but it's nothing spectacular, either.

Awful. How to absolutely butcher a sample

Vazduh

This is lovely, thanks for posting. It's also a reminder for me to check out the rest of his stuff, since Andorra is the only album of his I've listened to :eek:

Seven Lions feat. Kerli - Worlds Apart

Kerli serving me with those vocals.

I'm listening to this right now, she really sounds good on this. It's also a nice track :)

A Santigold tii

Hahahah, ikr? Speaking of Santoi, if it weren't for last.fm and it's autocorrect function, I would have never gotten used to her new name.

Civilian is lovely Vazduh

Plains
Holy Holy
Civilian
iZHBw9BqrXMVT.gif

I'm enjoying the heck out of these three songs. Bless you, good sis <3 <3

This is unusual. At the start it sound like it would make a good World Cup song, then it goes kind of Disney High School Musical.

That's the part that confuses me the most. Like, when you see those girls, you'd expect Girlicious 2.0 or even Paradiso Girls, meaning something trashy, slutty even. But when they start singing, their tunes sound like something tailor-made for Fifth Harmony. Although I kind of enjoyed Ugly Heart and Show Me What You Got, not gonna lie, I still don't know who are these girls marketed to, who's their target audience? I just don't see teenage girls eating their music up, tbh.

Which leads me to the next question: what the hell is wrong with Dr. Luke? First he signs Becky G to his label, then Bonnie McKee and now GRL... it's like he's building a flop harem, for fucks sake.

Does that mean it'll be out today or tomorrow afternoon?

Just under two hours from now. :)

Say Lou Lou's new single, Everything We Touch, is out on iTunes for anyone interested in the Swedish-Australian twin dream pop goddesses. Album in November, only five months to go.

Hopefully Taylord and Adele will start cranking the hype machine soon; I need a bombastic autumn. And if Madonna isn't the iTunes exclusive, Unapologetic Bitch had better be out by the end of the month assuming it's the first single.

Vazduh

Washed Out has a new video out, Weightless. Like all of his stuff, it's relaxing, beautiful, ethereal. And the video is no different. Choose the HD option on Youtube and enjoy.

Btw, for those impatient, the song starts at 1:45.

Washed Out - Weightless

Here are a few gifs from the video:

For those who aren't familiar with his music, here's a few of his best tunes, IMHO.

Washed Out - Feel It All Around
Washed Out - Eyes Be Closed
Washed Out - All I Know
Washed Out - Belong
Washed Out - New Theory

Whenever I feel distressed, I turn to his music to calm me down, it usually does the trick.

Say Lou Lou's new single, Everything We Touch, is out on iTunes for anyone interested in the Swedish-Australian twin dream pop goddesses. Album in November, only five months to go.
November? I feel like I have been waiting for this album for years now! Maybe this means the album won't be a Charli-sized mess where the majority of the songs are ones that we've already heard? Oh, who am I kidding.

Also, why is Banks releasing her album in September? I need it now
xi7Eu2g.gif

Vazduh

Maps Maroon 5 is out June 16th...anyone have any info on it?

I found some info!

&#8220;Maps&#8221; in particular was produced by Benny Blanco, Ryan Tedder and Noel Zancanella (Maroon 5&#8242;s &#8220;Love Somebody,&#8221; OneRepublic&#8216;s &#8220;Good Life&#8221;).

November? I feel like I have been waiting for this album for years now! Maybe this means the album won't be a Charli-sized mess where the majority of the songs are ones that we've already heard? Oh, who am I kidding.

Oh, God, tell me about it. The way those girls are delaying their album, we'll get to hear it in 2020 at earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom