• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazduh

POPGAF

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=831781

This poor soul needs our help.

That playlist is TRAGIC.

Good lord almighty, be there for the OP, because the playlist he was given was one of the worst I've ever seen. Tetris remix? Pokemon megamix?

And the worst offender of them all, Mambo No. 5?

xBeUsPz.gif

Let's get into the OP clarifying the Pokemon theme with "(it's like a techno version of the Pokemon theme)"

and Rihanna feat. Calvin Harris - We Found Love_(musiclife.kz).mp3
and This is Why I'm Hot - Kirby Mix.mp3

xBeUsPz.gif

Vazduh

Let's get into the OP clarifying the Pokemon theme with "(it's like a techno version of the Pokemon theme)"

and Rihanna feat. Calvin Harris - We Found Love_(musiclife.kz).mp3
and This is Why I'm Hot - Kirby Mix.mp3

xBeUsPz.gif

Screaming. And not Thumbs.db being listed in the OP

xBeUsPz.gif

As for the Kirby Mix, here's the Youtube link. I'm confused to as why anyone would want that in the playlist.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmt

Mambo No. 5 is a slay. Especially when drunk at a wedding.

Cotton-Eyed Joe is clearly the biggest offender on that list. Even worse than Gangnam Style.

Let's agree to disagree. But honestly, when one is drunk, the music becomes less relevant, anything could get you on the dance floor. I mean, get me drunk enough
(let's say, two bottles of wine)
and I'll twerk even to Celine Dion's ballads.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I smell like the club I was in last night and it is taking all of my hungover effort not to throw up
iv0LiVmhBimIJ.gif
iv0LiVmhBimIJ.gif

Alexandra Stan is still slaying me tho. Cherry Pop could be better but I love it
just like im loving this cold chinese

Well, that was an interesting exam. Not sure whether I'm happy or slowly dying.

Let me listen to inspirational artiste Rihanna for a bit, make me feel like a badass.

Love it, then come and get it
I know that ya fuckin' with it
Ya see me, ya like it, huh?
Heels Givenchy, huh?
Love it, then play it back
Plus where the 40 at?
I'm fucking with cheap thrill on top of my 50 mill
He eating-the-cake-killer!

iUNE1nOuRIFDV.gif

Does anyone have any French music? Next exam, two weeks time lol. I have Indila, Stromae and Yelle in a playlist but idk any others.

Vazduh

Does anyone have any French music? Next exam, two weeks time lol. I have Indila, Stromae and Yelle in a playlist but idk any others.

Give Peter Peter a try:

Peter Peter - Version améliorée de la tristesse
Peter Peter - Carrousel

I love this track from Kamikaze Girls OST (which is also a great movie):

Dany Vasnier - Hola Hola

Of course, there's also Carla Bruni.

Carla Bruni - Quelqu'un m'a dit

And the original ye-ye girl:

Francoise Hardy - Tous les garçons et les filles

Hope you like these tracks, sis :* And good luck on all the exams.

Vitanimus

I smell like the club I was in last night and it is taking all of my hungover effort not to throw up
iv0LiVmhBimIJ.gif
iv0LiVmhBimIJ.gif

Alexandra Stan is still slaying me tho. Cherry Pop could be better but I love it
just like im loving this cold chinese

I wish I liked chinese food
redface_zpsfd99364e.gif
also new OITNB get into it

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think we're stretching the definition of "feminist" here to just mean "saying or doing agreeable things according to me." Being likable while having a vagina doesn't automatically make you a feminist. Just like saying "I'm not a feminist" doesn't necessarily mean you're not a feminist.
I think there are plenty of reasons to think that Rih's actions speak more loudly than Gaga's words and actions in this instance. I'm on my phone right now so I I can't articulate them all but maybe later when I'm shithouse drunk :*

Vitanimus

I feel like it's pointless to even discuss who is a "better" feminist and more relevant to discuss who projects a more positive idea of what femininity encompasses, and I totally agree godel that people like Rihanna and Beyonce provide advances in the pop world with feminism. That's not to suggest they do so at the detriment of people like Gaga though. I think it's sad that Rihanna wins a style award and is praised by arguably the biggest name in fashion and the only thing discussed by the media are her tits.

With Lana... eh, I think her comments are a bit dumb, but she didn't overtly say "I'm not a feminist" like Pharrell, but merely she wasn't interested. She even says a feminist is a woman who "is free to do what they want". I'll probably write a bit more when I have time.

I feel like it's pointless to even discuss who is a "better" feminist and more relevant to discuss who projects a more positive idea of what femininity encompasses, and I totally agree godel that people like Rihanna and Beyonce provide advances in the pop world with feminism. That's not to suggest they do so at the detriment of people like Gaga though. I think it's sad that Rihanna wins a style award and is praised by arguably the biggest name in fashion and the only thing discussed by the media are her tits.

With Lana... eh, I think her comments are a bit dumb, but she didn't overtly say "I'm not a feminist" like Pharrell, but merely she wasn't interested. She even says a feminist is a woman who "is free to do what they want". I'll probably write a bit more when I have time.

If you define femininity as "the object of desire according to the masculine," then yes, Beyonce and Rihanna totally succeed at that. Their style is pretty much just taking back the objectification that men project unto women, but at the root of it all, they're still objectifying themselves. It's like they're saying "I know you like me for my tits and my ass, so I'm just going to accept that and make it the centerpiece of my performances so that everyone's happy." That way men like looking at you, and since other women are looking at them being so validated, they assume that they should follow that blueprint. And their music doesn't necessarily help their cases. They both sing about codependency above all else and whatever moments of "faux feminism" they show is nothing compared to how they instill the same old "I feel empowered as an entity with no real power" mantra that too many people pass off as a brand of feminism. I don't buy it.

I cannot even TELL you how many straight guys I know who, when asked about Beyonce or Rihanna, open with "they're hot. I don't listen to them though." It's hard to fault them for opening with that thought because Bey and Rih completely invite that. Whether or not it's some kind of deliberate reverse-psychology or not, using sexually-fueled femininity as the way to get attention BEFORE anything else can serve annoying results. Meanwhile when I ask them about Gaga, they share opinions pretty much about her music or style. "I don't like her, her music sucks," or "she can sing, I like that she's nuts." Gaga's sexually fueled but wears it in a confrontational way to the point where it doesn't come off as sexuality in a "I need validation from men" sense, but in a "yes I own my body, bitch" kind of way. That to me is far more progressive.

Then again, maybe Bey or Rih would come off as the latter as well if they weren't so hot. So I don't know. The crazy following Beyonce gets has automatically lended itself to labeling her a feminist just because she has so much power, and fundamentally inspires women. Maybe at the end of the day that's all you need to be a feminist.

cory64

Mau ®;115010527 said:
Not the "surprise iTunes release" being 50 Cent :ahh:

I'm done hdhjshdhjabahudh

d where did you get this fake tea from #MauNews

It was expected and released to retail.

Vitanimus

If you define femininity as "the object of desire according to the masculine," then yes, Beyonce and Rihanna totally succeed at that. Their style is pretty much just taking back the objectification that men project unto women, but at the root of it all, they're still objectifying themselves. It's like they're saying "I know you like me for my tits and my ass, so I'm just going to accept that and make it the centerpiece of my performances so that everyone's happy." That way men like looking at you, and since other women are looking at them being so validated, they assume that they should follow that blueprint. And their music doesn't necessarily help their cases. They both sing about codependency above all else and whatever moments of "faux feminism" they show is nothing compared to how they instill the same old "I feel empowered as an entity with no real power" mantra that too many people pass off as a brand of feminism. I don't buy it.

I cannot even TELL you how many straight guys I know who, when asked about Beyonce or Rihanna, open with "they're hot. I don't listen to them though." It's hard to fault them for opening with that thought because Bey and Rih completely invite that. Whether or not it's some kind of deliberate reverse-psychology or not, using sexually-fueled femininity as the way to get attention BEFORE anything else can serve annoying results. Meanwhile when I ask them about Gaga, they share opinions pretty much about her music or style. "I don't like her, her music sucks," or "she can sing, I like that she's nuts." Gaga's sexually fueled but wears it in a confrontational way to the point where it doesn't come off as sexuality in a "I need validation from men" sense, but in a "yes I own my body, bitch" kind of way. That to me is far more progressive.

Then again, maybe Bey or Rih would come off as the latter as well if they weren't so hot. So I don't know. The crazy following Beyonce gets has automatically lended itself to labeling her a feminist just because she has so much power, and fundamentally inspires women. Maybe at the end of the day that's all you need to be a feminist.

This seems completely backwards... I don't understand where the whole "object of desire for the male gaze" came from. I don't think it's fair to consider that when a female artist gets her tits out, it's primarily because guys like it, and it's probably even more degrading to think that they objectify themselves. Bey and Rih both are amazingly attractive women and they know it, and it's that confidence that empowers them and I guess "allows" them to make such great statements through music and fashion etc. Rihanna isn't the first person to discover sex sells and she won't be the last. But even when Rihanna does sing about sex, a la Cockiness and S&M it's a relatively positive sexual message. She's not asking someone to "tear her ass in two", she's singing about her own sexual pleasure and confidence and she's lampooned for it.

Even the Gaga comparison feels flat; I think Rihanna is far more sexually proactive than Gaga in a "I own my body sense", although that's not to say the amount of clothing you or don't wear defines how confident in your body you are and I wholly disagree that either Beyonce or Rihanna use "sexually-fueled femininity" to get attention... I thought their music did that.

Anyway, I hope this hasn't come across as aggressive or over-bearing and it probably isn't my place to try and define what "femininity" is.

This seems completely backwards... I don't understand where the whole "object of desire for the male gaze" came from. I don't think it's fair to consider that when a female artist gets her tits out, it's primarily because guys like it, and it's probably even more degrading to think that they objectify themselves. Bey and Rih both are amazingly attractive women and they know it, and it's that confidence that empowers them and I guess "allows" them to make such great statements through music and fashion etc. Rihanna isn't the first person to discover sex sells and she won't be the last. But even when Rihanna does sing about sex, a la Cockiness and S&M it's a relatively positive sexual message. She's not asking someone to "tear her ass in two", she's singing about her own sexual pleasure and confidence and she's lampooned for it.

Even the Gaga comparison feels flat; I think Rihanna is far more sexually proactive than Gaga in a "I own my body sense", although that's not to say the amount of clothing you or don't wear defines how confident in your body you are and I wholly disagree that either Beyonce or Rihanna use "sexually-fueled femininity" to get attention... I thought their music did that.

Anyway, I hope this hasn't come across as aggressive or over-bearing and it probably isn't my place to try and define what "femininity" is.

Yeah, I suppose the red flag with me is that embracing your attractiveness doesn't HAVE to mean showcasing cleavage or doing the conventional "Am I sexy??" schtick. I feel like going that route seems safe to me, like they're settling for feeling "empowered" by using the product of desirability to build themselves up. There are way more interesting ways to use your attractiveness for power that doesn't involve the notion that you have to be sexually charged just BECAUSE you're attractive, because you aren't doing that in a vacuum. It comes from a place of being pleasing to the eyes of men who want to fuck you; with no men in the equation I doubt they would bother looking anything like how they look now.

Tyvm for the French music recommendations, feeling better about things now.

Gonna treat myself for the weekend, been a long week. So, which free game do I claim with my purchase of Mario Kart 8? :x

I'm teetering betwixt Wind Waker and The Wonderful 101.

Tyvm for the French music recommendations, feeling better about things now.

Gonna treat myself for the weekend, been a long week. So, which free game do I claim with my purchase of Mario Kart 8? :x

I'm teetering betwixt Wind Waker and The Wonderful 101.

I got Pikmin 3, and I'm really enjoying it. But if you're not a fan then I'd recommend WW.

TLC did some sexually provocative things and they draw an arbitrary line on what's appropriate just like Rashida Jones did. Hypocrites.

23 Charli XCX - Boom Clap

screamminggggg

I don't even like the song much but im still screamminggggg

Her first solo hit ;_________________________________;

yaaaaassss Pink Gold Peach unlocked.

Finally something to make up for the chain of flops.

Has Charli mentioned whether or not Boom Clap also functions as the second single from her album or what? It feels like it's been ages since SuperLove, which is still an amazing bop. Hopefully there's some news on it soon. True Romance was decent but I'd heard all the songs before so it didn't really blow me away. Apparently this album is more of a pop-punk sound?

SaintZ

Yaaaas at Charli suddenly slaying. Boom Clap has been my jam since day 1.

Oh and...

BpckaO2CYAAeKnE.jpg

Let the guessing game begin.

I don't think it's either Lorde or Gags tbh.

Yado

Yaaaas at Charli suddenly slaying. Boom Clap has been my jam since day 1.

Oh and...

BpckaO2CYAAeKnE.jpg

Let the guessing game begin.

I don't think it's either Lorde or Gags tbh.

It's probably Gaga, Lana has been steaming about her for a while now. What would she know about Lord fucking her way to the top? Isn't she like 15 or something? lol

It's too bad Lana hates Gaga. They're more similar than they are different, but I guess that can lead to tension.

I'm a fan of both of them for pretty identical reasons.

SaintZ

But Gaga hasn't stolen ha style or sound tbh. She hasn't mentioned Lana either. Can't wait to hear the song for some more clues lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom