• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it amusing how suddenly those girls feel threatened by a mere teenager.

Yas, slay them all,
Kiwi-Croatian Grandma of Pop!

N21kJ6L.gif

This. Everyone who talks about her sounds pressed all the time. She's not Kurt Cobain's peer? Lol! Lorde is like 56, yes she is.

I'm waiting til I can hear Fucked My Way Up To The Top

edit: waiiiiiT this def just clicked in my head, wasn't Swine about Gaga's unfortunate sexual experiences in the industry?

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Hey PopGaf, as someone that's pop-retarde...challenged, I'm up for some new synth-electro-pop to add to my playlist (currently occupied by Robyn and Vanbot). Any suggestions?

Vazduh

Hey PopGaf, as someone that's pop-retarde...challenged, I'm up for some new synth-electro-pop to add to my playlist (currently occupied by Robyn and Vanbot). Any suggestions?

I got you covered, sis! Hope you like these suggestions:

The Sound of Arrows - Wonders (2011)
Allie X - Catch (2014)
Catcall - The World Is Ours (2012)
Will Young - Runaway (2011)
Jessy Lanza - Pull My Hair Back (2013)
Brothertiger - In Mind (2013)
Say Lou Lou - Better In The Dark (2013)
MØ - Don't Wanna Dance (2014)
Asbjørn - The Criminal (2012)
Alpines - No Other Lover (2014)
Rebecca & Fiona - Golden Gate (2011)
Ben Khan - Youth (2014)

If you want more, let me know!

ic1y0vh0S7awj.gif

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I got you covered, sis!

ic1y0vh0S7awj.gif

/brofist ...I'm a dude btw. Is it that strange that there are dudes that like listening to synth pop while coding indie games and writing custom shaders for Retroarch? Hahah

I've listened to that first song three times btw. Epic track. Perfect work. You have great taste in tunes mate. I'm looking forward to listening to the rest. Thanks for taking the time to compile that list. *raises beer in salute*. PopGAF ftw

Vazduh

/brofist ...I'm a dude btw. Is it that strange that there's dudes that like listening to synth pop while coding indie games and writing custom shaders for Retroarch? Hahah

There's nothing strange about it, I actually find that really cool :) And I'm happy you liked The Sound of Arrows! The entire album is like that, with the exception of some Vangelis-like instrumentals, so I think you might like it.

OK, bro :D Let me know if you ever want more music, there's more where it came from. And thanks :*

Fey

Banned
Sound of Arrows is so good, I need a new album. Magic is such an uplifting song, but Ruins of Rome is my favourite.
Smiley-IPB-418.gif

Vazduh

Sound of Arrows is so good, I need a new album. Magic is such an uplifting song, but Ruins of Rome is my favourite.
Smiley-IPB-418.gif

I love Ruins of Rome, too! <3

Sadly there won't be another Sound of Arrows album for quite some time, since Stefan is busy with his other project called Kids of the Apocalypse. I would love if they released some new music, though. The guys are responsible for one of my favorite music videos ever, Conquest.

The Sound of Arrows - Conquest.

I'm aware that the visuals don't make sense, but they're beautifully done and they follow the flow of the song perfectly.

Oh, and is it just me, or is Conquest actually a rip-off of The Connells' song, '74-'75?

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
There's nothing strange about it, I actually find that really cool :) And I'm happy you liked The Sound of Arrows! The entire album is like that, with the exception of some Vangelis-like instrumentals, so I think you might like it.

OK, bro :D Let me know if you ever want more music, there's more where it came from. And thanks :*

Awesome stuff. I'm listening to the Catcall track for the second time now and they've all been winners so far. It's been a great virtual mix-tape. I remixed Courtnee Draper's voice into my Time After Time video if you bored enough to check it out: http://youtu.be/1wjKZliYURU . It's technically not synth pop but you might get a kick out of it. Thanks again. I might hit you up later for some more tunes if that's cool

We call everyone "sis". :)

Also check out CHVRCHES and Banks. They're very synthy and great.

Unreal. I'll check them both out. Cool user name btw. I discovered Vanbot thanks to a recommendation in here and have been listening to them for ~6 months since. As someone that's only ever been metal/alternative-literate it's a challenge trying to discover new music in other genres. Cheers!

alternade

We need more posts like this! I have a party in a couple hours and I want to add some new songs for my party playlist.

Awesome stuff. I'm listening to the Catcall track for the second time now and they've all been winners so far. It's been a great virtual mix-tape. I remixed Courtnee Draper's voice into my Time After Time video if you bored enough to check it out: http://youtu.be/1wjKZliYURU . It's technically not synth pop but you might get a kick out of it. Thanks again. I might hit you up later for some more tunes if that's cool

Unreal. I'll check them both out. Cool user name btw. I discovered Vanbot thanks to a recommendation in here and have been listening to them for ~6 months since. As someone that's only ever been metal/alternative-literate it's a challenge trying to discover new music in other genres. Cheers!

You're always welcome to post new music here! And thanks, I think it's a cool name too :)

Also, if you're looking for some different pop songs, try out our Spotify playlist on the first page. There's a lot of really great stuff on there.

Vazduh

I watched the video and it was very well done, thanks for sharing! :) And I hope I haven't seen too many spoilers since I've yet to play Bioshock: Infinite (shame on me, I know).

Btw, it's great that you're giving other genres a chance. Hopefully you'll stick around in this thread more often, because there's bound to be a boatload of good music.
There's always so much great music in this thread, whether it's r&b, pop, electropop... The guys and girls here all have amazing taste.

I would be happy to recommend some more music! Send me a PM whenever you want, and if you have a last.fm account, feel free to add me there. And like WhereAreMahDragonz said, make sure to also check the POPGAF playlist on Spotify.

We need more posts like this! I have a party in a couple hours and I want to add some new songs for my party playlist.

Thank you! :****

Btw, if you need more uptempo pop music, I have an 8tracks playlist you might like. You don't have to be an 8tracks member, just press play and enjoy!

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
I watched the video and it was very well done, thanks for sharing! :) And I hope I haven't seen too many spoilers since I've yet to play Bioshock: Infinite (shame on me, I know).

Btw, it's great that you're giving other genres a chance. Hopefully you'll stick around in this thread more often, because there's bound to be a boatload of good music.
There's always so much great music in this thread, whether it's r&b, pop, electropop... The guys and girls here all have amazing taste.

I would be happy to recommend some more music! Send me a PM whenever you want, and if you have a last.fm account, feel free to add me there. And like WhereAreMahDragonz said, make sure to also check the POPGAF playlist on Spotify.

Thank you! :****

Btw, if you need more uptempo pop music, I have an 8tracks playlist you might like. You don't have to be an 8tracks member, just press play and enjoy!

Will do! I just finished listening to the playlist. They were all great. Sound of Arrows really stood out. I'm hanging out to hear the rest of their record now. I'll have to trawl this thread more often.

For the Time After Time video I predominantly used creative liberty to suit the narrative of the song and only really used some early scenes from the game and some Elizabeth poses to pad out the majority of the lyrics. So you should be good. Everything else was just a three second shot without context and doesn't give anything anyway. The story is relatively complex so unless you show a couple of specific scenes, it's hard to spoil. You should definitely play it though :) It's the gaming equivalent of Donnie Darko IMO but it's very divisive (you'll likely either love it or hate it). It is a BioShock style first person shooter first and foremost so if you have issues with shooting people to progress a narrative, you may not like the game.

Vazduh

Well, MoGamesXNA, consider me sold (especially since you've mentioned Donnie Darko, which I love-love-love)! After I finish playing the third episode of TWD S2, that will be my next game :) And it'd be great to have another POPGAF member :D

Fey

Banned
hmmm hmmmhmhmmm idk if AP but Spinnin Records posted this snippet on their YT, which seems to be an extended version of the snippet Billboard teased a few weeks ago by a "shape-shifting dance legend". And apparently Avicii, who everyone believes produced Madonna's next lead single, is signed onto Spinnin Records. Plus Buzz Charts also teased the song is by a "mystery superstar". If Madonna, it wouldn't be the first time production from her next album was released to Radio 1 without her name being attached to it.

just juat is going on with this middling, average sounding production

detective.gif

SaintZ

djfdkslkdfksdfskl let me listen rn

I liked the possible Madonna snippet tbh but I liked Gimme All Your Luvin' too so what do I know

Yado

I'm think I'm going to appreciate her songs a lot more when I hear them together on the album. They're not working for me as singles on their own.

SaintZ

Lord, it all sounds so dreary.
That's what I was thinking. A lot of people are going to be disappointed if they were expecting BTD part 2.

Fucked My Way Up To The Top sounds so freaking good though.

Old Money, the cover of The Other Woman, Guns and Roses and Florida Kilos sound good too tbh.

Not here for Black Beauty. It sounds exactly like the demo that leaked. The snippets are soooo short though.

Fey

Banned
yeah, they're all so short and are all pretty much just the verses. only like Fuck My Way's snippet seems to have a good chunk of the chorus.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
hmmm hmmmhmhmmm idk if AP but Spinnin Records posted this snippet on their YT, which seems to be an extended version of the snippet Billboard teased a few weeks ago by a "shape-shifting dance legend". And apparently Avicii, who everyone believes produced Madonna's next lead single, is signed onto Spinnin Records. Plus Buzz Charts also teased the song is by a "mystery superstar". If Madonna, it wouldn't be the first time production from her next album was released to Radio 1 without her name being attached to it.

just juat is going on with this middling, average sounding production

detective.gif

I'm really liking this tbh

Lord, it all sounds so dreary. I know that's her thing but I need at least one Ride or Off to the Races.

Like seriously. Where are the fucking violins and triphop beats Lana?!?

I wasn't expecting a BTD replica here, but a quick preview of the full album just highlights how dreary, slow and boring everything is.

I can hardly express my disappointment. :(

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I like artists to do different stuff between albums. If I wanted Lana to do Born To Die 2.0 I would actually listen BTD. This is a different era, a different sound which while it might be slow and dreary it is done with taste and quality. This album sounds like Grindhouse movies ost. Most of the songs are perfect for reading or have drinks with friends while talking random shit.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I like artists to do different stuff between albums. If I wanted Lana to do Born To Die 2.0 I would actually listen BTD. This is a different era, a different sound which while it might be slow and dreary it is done with taste and quality. This album sounds like Grindhouse movies ost. Most of the songs are perfect for reading or have drinks with friends while talking random shit.
Right? Its perfect for those hot summer days when your just chilling. Plus she said it was going to be dark, low key, and west coast inspired. That does not sound like BTD the sequel so I hope people were not expecting that.

Vitanimus

My fave Grimes played 3 new songs last night at NY's Governor's Ball, "David", "Sleepwalking", and "Go" (the song she wrote for Rih)

They all sound incredible, as expected. Here are some clips:

http://bcove.me/484qhtxe @:30
http://instagram.com/p/o7YY_mPyHE/
http://instagram.com/p/o7zBtDwsuU/
http://instagram.com/p/o714KLQshi/

help me GOD I am not ready

I just got back from No Tomorrow festival and saw Clean Bandit, Sam Smith and London Grammar, and London Grammar were AMAZING. Their album does absolutely no justice for Hannah Reid's live vocals. I'm emotional.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Right? Its perfect for those hot summer days when your just chilling. Plus she said it was going to be dark, low key, and west coast inspired. That does not sound like BTD the sequel so I hope people were not expecting that.

She said that from the beginning so people with BTD2 should have gotten their expectations. The album gives 1976 realness. Perfect Summer/Autumn Album IMO.

Orange Is The New Black S2 Finale was everything.
ed2305b7.png

Bye, this is the only version of Lady Marmalade in existence. The hews can try it all they like.

Ugh, I'm reminded of how all that Heathers bullshit made me feel really sour. Why are they trying to sing, anyway? It's all so AutoTuned it may as well have been robots. Oh well, at least they look like they're having fun.

And I need the studio versions of those Grimes songs stat. Claire and Jillian are coming to lay September 2014 to rest. That album had better come out in September, hopefully before the 23rd. I'll pray that she tones down the perfectionism so it releases in a timely fashion.

Mau ®

Is Madonna working with Disclosure?

She's been hanging out with them quite a bit for the last few days. Very excited if she is!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom