• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed Fucked My Way Up to the Top, but that might be only because it was the only track that seemed remotely interesting from the get go.

I don't see why people will go out and buy this because you could probably find a better way to put yourself to sleep elsewhere.

Vazduh

The last Fargo episode was so intense, OMG, I wonder if I'm going to be able to handle the 90-minute finale ;_;

On a lighter note, Robin Thicke has announced the title of his upcoming album, and it's called Paula, as in his estranged wife he's trying to reconcile with.

He debuted the first single, “Get Her Back,” at the Billboard Music Awards last month. The heartfelt tribute was written about Patton, his wife of nine years and the mother of his son Julian.

The high school sweethearts announced their split in February. Thicke has been trying for months to mend their relationship, even dedicating “Lost Without U” to Patton at his recent shows.

He's so desperate, I can't

tina_turner_dance.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
drunk AGAIN I see

ipaU3Mr3r6OqP.gif

Perhaps, but the point still stands
iyvM96Xlp0VaW.gif

I rewrote that like four times how did I spell everything so wrong

Still bopping to that we are superstars track the next morning

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Lily Allen is offering a free download of Sheezus session track 'Bass Like Home' for anyone who's interested ~

It's house music, lol. Aight, I guess. Better than most of Sheezus, no surprise again.

Why was this not on my sheezus download tho
edit; o I think it was the unofficial world cup song she did

NinjaBoiX

Sam Smith is the most overrated pop act in years for me, he's been touted as the next big thing over here in the UK. Can't stand his music.

Money On My Mind is one of the worst songs I've heard in a long time. That chorus is utterly heinous.

Vazduh

Aaargh, fucking football, everybody in my country is beyond excited for tonight's match against Brazil.

MgYashD.gif

Stars Are Blind and Jealousy are both okay too. Especially compared to that dog shit she put out back in October.

Oh, God, that single. I have a feeling that Afrojack deliberately screwed her over with that shit song after they broke up. Can't believe he actually put his name on that! I would have said the same for Lil' Wayne, but he's been on so much sizzurp that it probably clouded his ability to think straight.

This is such a guilty pleasure, omg
tiJdxY9.png
tiJdxY9.png

Vazduh

Craft Spells have just released their 2nd album called Nausea. Some of you loved their track After the Moment from the first album so I figured I'd share the new one. Here's the lovely hypnotic title track.

Craft Spells - Nausea

Sam Smith is the most overrated pop act in years for me, he's been touted as the next big thing over here in the UK. Can't stand his music.

Money On My Mind is one of the worst songs I've heard in a long time. That chorus is utterly heinous.

I also don't like Money On My Mind, I find the chorus grating. Thankfully the rest of the album is not like that, it's damn good.

Oh, and slay Lana! Quite deserved, honestly, it's a good album.

Ahasverus

The album as a whole is not at BTD levels and really feels like the moody Sophomore it is (It reminds me of a Nelly Furtado case) but no one can deny it's quality music, if not pop.

Vitanimus

The album as a whole is not at BTD levels and really feels like the moody Sophomore it is (It reminds me of a Nelly Furtado case) but no one can deny it's quality music, if not pop.

I'm really inclined to agree... I wouldn't stretch as far to say some tracks are fillers, but there certainly are a few that are complete snooze fests that seem like they're only on the album for thematic consistency than anything.

Also, let's predict the final metascore for Ultraviolence
c3ed7b23.gif
I'm gonna say 71.

Nemesis_

Oh my god I didn't know who Sam Smith was. I realised he was the guy who sang on Latch which is a pretty good song but I'm also well past it since it was impacting here over a year and a half ago (why the fuck are you guys so slow) and all of his other music is annoying as fuck.

La La La is the biggest pain in the ass to listen to and then you see that annoying as fuck video clip and it makes me want to throw something against the wall. Stay With Me is another boring slow ass song in similar vein to that other piece of shit John Legend song. Money On My Mind sounds like a schizophrenic banshee on heat who begins to crescendo to fuck all

I just hate everything the guy has put out besides Latch and I didn't even know it was all from the same person. uggh. uggggggggghhhhh. You're so right.

I have played Born To Die too many times to count and I have yet to finish Ultraviolence. It's just not meshing with me. Interestingly enough the store I work nearby actually has the album tomorrow. so I will be picking up a copy for a friend of mine for her birthday.

And I'll give her the flop postcards too

cat_jbo-au-lana-del-rey-postcards-570.jpg

Ultraviolence has a wonderful opening five, but after West Coast it begins to draaaaag. PWYC is especially intolerable. It picks up again at FMWUTTP, Old Money is magical and The Other Woman is an excellent vocal showcase. Then idk how to count bonus tracks, do I count them or not? Black Beauty and Florida Kilos are excellent, Guns and Roses is a bit more forgettable.

I like moody and atmospheric, but it becomes far too conceptually and sonically similar in the middle. I'm not sure whether it's just because I'm already really familiar with tracks 2-5, but I definitely think the opening is the most varied.

Sam Smith is boring and I hope he has international success so he goes far away from here.

And at this point in time I shall ignore all Rihanna's dabbling in other endeavours, in the faith that R8 will be the best thing ever.

SaintZ

Lana has given some more interesting interviews. She sounds really depressed though, poor ha.

NYT: Lana del Rey Still Stir Things Up with "Ultraviolence"

She gives a more elaborate answer about feminism here:
A recurring criticism was that her songs about being swept away by love were anti-feminist in their passivity; she contends that she was writing about private, immediate feelings, not setting out doctrine. “For me, a true feminist is someone who is a woman who does exactly what she wants,” she said. “If my choice is to, I don’t know, be with a lot of men, or if I enjoy a really physical relationship, I don’t think that’s necessarily being anti-feminist. For me the argument of feminism never really should have come into the picture. Because I don’t know too much about the history of feminism, and so I’m not really a relevant person to bring into the conversation. Everything I was writing was so autobiographical, it could really only be a personal analysis.”

The Guardian: Lana Del Rey: 'I wish I was dead already'
"I wish I was dead already," Lana Del Rey says, catching me off guard. She has been talking about the heroes she and her boyfriend share – Amy Winehouse and Kurt Cobain among them – when I point out that what links them is death and ask if she sees an early death as glamorous. "I don't know. Ummm, yeah." And then the death wish.
Gaga needs to send the Born Brave Bus ha way
8zdxcqdurg.gif

They also reviewed Ultraviolence and gave her 4/5 stars.

Radio.com: Lana Del Rey Goes From ‘Maleficent’ to ‘Ultraviolence’ Up to the Top

She gets asked about her comments on Metaphysics and Fucked My Way To The Top lmao (she dodges the FMWTTT question tho).
In an interview with Grazia in Germany, you inferred that it was in part a response to another popular female artist who’d said derogatory things about you in the press.

What do I say… I put so much time in putting a narrative to the track listing together, and then I’m so stupid because I should just know that it’s totally gonna be disregarded because I just set myself up. Let me put it this way, every track that I put on there and every track name and the order that it’s in tells a story that is important to me. In my mind, the narrative for this record ends with the last track, not the bonus deluxe stuff, all that business. It ends with the cover of Nina Simone’s “The Other Woman.” And without even really saying more about that, the decision to end with a cover of a jazz song and the content within that, it’s kind of telling in its own way.

And so is “Having F—–d My Way Up To The Top” being toward the end of the track listing. I would say the track having more of a hip hop heavier beat, whereas the rest of the album is live and organic…it kind of drives this one particular point home. It’s hard when you’re doing something in the studio, you kind of feel like your story about it is going to end there, but then in interviews you’re never really sure how far to elaborate…there’s not much I can really say about it that’s going to help you understand. I’ll just wait for you to listen to it.
tumblr_mdkdltK2bo1r939eeo1_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom