• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aguila

#ICONIC
It could have been Lana, but she sure skull-fucked that chance.

Hm. I don't think Lana has what it takes to be a POP Queen in terms of musical style and personality; she's unwilling to conform to radio and she's too much of a recluse. She is an Alternative Queen tho (along with Adele and now Lorde).

I think the last big pop girl to emerge was Ke¢ha

Ties

Banned
Ready for a new pop behemoth to emerge. Is it Charli?
25793bfd.gif
FIRO

The Flop

Banned
No it's going to be my divas in training Fifth Harmony

NA8I7DI

Them on the set of the music video today for BO$$,

This shit is going to slay me to life!

MDNA

Neo Member
I actually really enjoy Artpop. It’s a solid pop album that’s very colourful and diverse. I think the quality of her albums is pretty consistent, although Born This Way could have used some trimming.

When she first started she was a huge phenomenon, so I think it will always be hard to match that level of excitement. Artpop obviously isn’t a huge, zeitgeisty moment for her, but she’s still relevant and has a dedicated following. Maybe the general public is disinterested now, but that’s just the eb and flow of fame. I’m sure she’ll make a comeback eventually (though not with Cheek To Cheek).

Selfishly I want the Do What You Want video to fully leak because I really want to see it. Those TMZ clips looked cool!

Ready for a new pop behemoth to emerge. Is it Charli?
25793bfd.gif

Iggy Azalea. Of course there's the chance that she'll become a one-hit wonder, but I'm pretty confident Black Widow will become her second big hit in the US once it's given the proper single treatment.

Mau ®

Rih just shot another magazine cover for Harper's Bazaars. She has W Magazine scheduled in the fall too. It's all lining up for R8

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that was a photo from GGGB days.

isewhite
Ruven Afanador editing our selects for cover with a truly amazing star inside an out. Rihanna, hats off to you, your work ethic and kindness are epic. This was dream come true shoot.

VIBE said:
The world now has a date with Beyoncé every Sunday night, beginning June 29.

Queen Bey is returning to HBO with a new concert series titled Beyonce: X10. The 10-part program will air in a four-minute spot each Sunday at 8:55 p.m. before each episode of True Blood, and will feature her theatrical performances from the Mrs. Carter Show World Tour, including "XO," "Heaven," "Partition," "Flawless/Yonce," "Girls." "Blow/Cherry," and more.
iZwzSFyWJUYbh.jpg

edit: Yanis serves again.

Grizzo

FameGa is BestGa. More Love Games, Poker Faces, Paparazzi, Eh Ehs, and Just Dances and less everything that came after Telephone.

I agree. These are the songs I find myself going back to the most. She was already seen as a "credible" pop artist when she sang these. I don't know why she ever felt like she had to go the extra mile to earn respect from purist audiences.

Nemesis_

The Guardian have dragged Lana

It's not uncommon for interviewees to read what they've actually said, be horrified, and decide that it must somehow be the writer's fault. Yet Lana Del Rey's issues with the recent profile I wrote (among other slightly disturbing statements, she told me “I wish I was dead already”) are particularly hard to decipher. In tweets posted on Thursday night, since deleted, the singer said: “I regret trusting the Guardian. I didn't want to do an interview but the journalist was persistent. Alexis (sic) was masked as a fan but was hiding sinister ambitions and angles. Maybe he's actually the boring one looking for something interesting to write about. His leading questions about death and persona were calculated.”

Cue an army of enraged Lana Del Rey fans bombarding my Twitter feed with constructive criticism geared towards helping me improve my writing (“drink shit”; “I will fly to England and hurt you”) and posting deranged abuse on my Instagram page underneath – bizarrely – a picture showing the current league standings of my five-a-side football team (terribly disrespectful to the orange and maroon shirt of DisOrient FC, I'm sure you all agree, although given that we lost 10-3 to Blighty Coffee on Tuesday it might just be the kick up the arse we all need).

Besides the fact Lana doesn't remember who actually interviewed her, there are a number of things about her statement that sound a bit iffy to me. She may well have not wanted to do the interview but it certainly didn't seem like it – she was delightful company for the 70 minutes we spent talking, and was happy to continue over the allotted time when the PR knocked on the door, an hour in, and asked how we were getting on. I was not “masked” as a fan, I genuinely like her music and really liked her too – her life story is fascinating, she was refreshingly open when answering even the most difficult question and she seemed completely in love with music. As for the rather vague “sinister ambitions” she claims I had – well, my colleagues sadly refused to comment on how sinister I am, but they were all adamant that I'm “not in the slightest bit ambitious”. Thanks, guys.

It's not pleasant asking a pop star if she thinks the idea of dying young herself is attractive – it's a dark question, but it's not a leading one. She has every opportunity to say no. And she can hardly complain about the subject matter: she'd been talking about her icons all dying young, she named her debut album Born to Die and had spent much of the 50 minutes previous to this point telling me how miserable she was.

Ultimately, the problem with Lana's complaint is that she doesn't seem to know what she's actually complaining about. She's not alleging that I made up her quotes, nor is she claiming that they've been “twisted” or that we've printed them out of context. Instead she seems annoyed by the fact I wanted her to say interesting things and asked questions that caused her to do so. Well sorry, Lana, but that's just me doing my job.

They even included the audio where she answered the question.

I don't know what to think.

the instrumentals to Ultraviolence (the album) are out

ebf69f50.gif
ebf69f50.gif
ebf69f50.gif

Is that a saxophone in Brooklyn Baby?
ebf69f50.gif

A xylophone in Cruel World?
ebf69f50.gif

A chorus in Shades of Cool and Sad Girl?
confused.gif
YES!

Lana instrumentals are amazing. The Born To Die tracks without vocals are masterpieces on their own. I mean, most people didn't really care for Carmen, but just listen to the instrumental. Liiisten! Epic, somber, beautiful, cinematic, ... when the chorus kicks in. <3

Now let me listen to the Ultraviolence instrumentals.

This song perfectly encapsulates a night out. Like, scarily accurate.
For me.

Also Charli XCX is going to be the next pop behemoth. My sister said so, she's psychic and also has flawless taste.
I thought Taylor already was a pop behemoth? Voice of a Generation tbh.

most people didn't really care for Carmen
Were they deaf? It's a really good song. To be fair, though, it actually had pretty strong competition on the album, it's a pretty solid collection of tracks.

Nemesis_

Carmen has and always will be one of the standouts from Born To Die for me. It's haunting, it has multiple meanings and the way the production builds up is just so sublime. I love it. I really feel like it captures Lana's "cinematic" feels almost perfectly.

Vitanimus

I don't see Charli XCX being the next "big" thing for pop music. I certainly think she'll enjoy continual success but I can't imagine her having number ones and doing massive tours. Maybe I'm too accustomed to her still being a relatively indie pop girl?

DMeisterJ

Banned
MOTHER MARY. I SWEAR I WANNA CHANGE

MR JESUS, I'D LOVE TO BE YOUR QUEEN

BUT I'M FROM THE LEFT SIDE OF AN ISLAND

NEVER THOUGHT THIS MANY PEOPLE WOULD KNOW MY NAME.

God. Slay me Rih. :'(

Grizzo

I don't see Charli XCX being the next "big" thing for pop music. I certainly think she'll enjoy continual success but I can't imagine her having number ones and doing massive tours. Maybe I'm too accustomed to her still being a relatively indie pop girl?

I can see her becoming "Lana Del Rey huge". Maybe not Rihanna or Katy Perry though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom