• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
West Coast grew on me after I heard it with clear speakers, the production is just godly to be denied

shame about the rest tho

5Q4xqk.gif

3phemeral

OMMMMG I finally found it. I've been hearing this hot jam on the drive to work and always forget the lyrics by the time I get to my desk so I can't google it and find the song. Today, fate provided me a helping hand as the song started the moment I turned on my car with the radio DJ saying the name of the song. I was so happy I could cry :*)

What a sexy, PERFECT BOP. My fave musical discovery of 2014 tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESXgJ9-H-2U

slay a bit Kiesza

funny-baby-toddler-church.gif
It's very Celine Dion meets C&C Music Factory.

Mariah has released the single artwork for You Don't Know What to Do.

tumblr_n7i3cdyS7Y1rtm6dso1_500.gif

:ahh:
Shameless. It doesn't even look natural. The photo editor should be fired.

I tried it with Sia and I can't. Her voice is such shit. She always sounds like she's drunk and slurring all her words. It just sounds so lazy that I can't get behind it or give it a pass for sounding good. At least Rih's laziness on a track sounds good. Sia just sounds like she's tired and disinterested.

3phemeral

I tried it with Sia and I can't. Her voice is such shit. She always sounds like she's drunk and slurring all her words. It just sounds so lazy that I can't get behind it or give it a pass for sounding good. At least Rih's laziness on a track sounds good. Sia just sounds like she's tired and disinterested.

Sia has a certain quality to her voice. Try to get into these tracks and maybe read the lyrics along with them. Her diction sucks when she's emotional but my heavens, her emotive capabilities and run arrangements give me life.

Soon We'll Be Found
Blow It All Away
I Go to Sleep
Breathe Me
Little Black Sandals

I mean, she's perfectly capable of enunciating correctly: Academia , so it's definitely deliberate.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Spin said:
Sorry Mariah, but Me. I Am Lana…The Elusive Chanteuse is a title more fit for a think-piece queen, most especially Ms. Del Rey, who, critical screeds be damned, has become the biggest cult artist of her generation. Really, what current rapper or rocker's fans want to be their heroine more than Lana fans do?
Source
smile.gif

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the POPGAF consensus on the greatest upbeat pop record of all time (any era, any sub-pop genre)? I'm keen to put my weekend into high gear

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Confessions on a dance floor would be up there
I've been listening to Selena Gomez's album a lot recently and thats really upbeat, wouldn't put it on any best of all time list though

Grizzo

So what's the POPGAF consensus on the greatest upbeat pop record of all time (any era, any sub-pop genre)? I'm keen to put my weekend into high gear

Holly Valance - State Of Mind. A classic song from 2003. When it was released it reached the top 10 in the UK, but other than that it didn't really set the charts alight.

This song was way too far ahead of its time. It never fails to give me the energetic boost I need.

The album of the same name is cool too, though nothing to write home about.

Vazduh

That's a hard question. But if you want something really upbeat, go for these two records.

The Go! Team - Rolling Blackouts

This is one of the songs from the album: The Go! Team - Secretary Song - nearly the entire album is like that.

And the second recommendation would be:

The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Out Of Frequency

My favorite from the album would be: The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Heart Attack - If this one leaves you cold, chances are, you're already dead :)

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Confessions on a dance floor would be up there
I've been listening to Selena Gomez's album a lot recently and thats really upbeat, wouldn't put it on any best of all time list though

I've only listened to three tracks so far but this is a super high quality record. Thanks. It always impresses me that Madonna manages to put out quality records throughout her career. I haven't heard anything since Ray of Light I think, so this is cool.

I'll check out Selena Gomez's record too

Holly Valance - State Of Mind. A classic song from 2003. When it was released it reached the top 10 in the UK, but other than that it didn't really set the charts alight.

This song was way too far ahead of its time. It never fails to give me the energetic boost I need.

Awesome track! Cheers. Man, whatever happened to Holly Valance? She was a bit of a stunner back in the day

That's a hard question. But if you want something really upbeat, go for these two records.

My favorite from the album would be: The Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Heart Attack - If this one leaves you cold, chances are, you're already dead :)

Far out, she has an unreal voice. I've only heard the single but it's a winner. Playlist updated! Cheers again

Vazduh

*Fixed for correction*

Thank you, I can't believe I forgot to mention KARA!

I'm not fond of IGAB, but I like the other two songs :)

I'm glad that song was posted here, I like you already :D The entire album was actually really good, it's really cohesive, without much filler (unlike her first album). Those of you who haven't listened to the album should give it a listen, especially if you're into electro-pop.

Holly Valance - Desire
Holly Valance - Roll Over

Awesome track! Cheers. Man, whatever happened to Holly Valance? She was a bit of a stunner back in the day.

She married a rich guy, gave birth to a baby girl and is living the high life. Btw, I found this interview with her fun, she came across as likeable in this one. Much more down to earth than I imagined.

Far out, she has an unreal voice. I've only heard the single but it's a winner. Playlist updated! Cheers again

Glad you liked it! :)

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Is godel still banned? Jamie XX played a new song during Annie Mac's new show last night
Called All Under One Roof Raving and you can listen around the hour mark here, can't find a stand alone track yet
Despite the name it's pretty chill actully

Nemesis_

Holly Valance! Australian nobody queen that we all ogled over during high school because of that video where she appeared naked ._.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAkUtig5iG4&feature=kp

Awesome track! Cheers. Man, whatever happened to Holly Valance? She was a bit of a stunner back in the day

Apparently she was just over it.

In 2003, the first single "State of Mind" from Valance's second album State of Mind peaked in its first week No. 8 in the UK and at No. 14 in Australia, but the album did not reach the top 50 in either country. Following the legal problems and poor sales from the album State of Mind, Valance was reportedly dropped from her recording company. She denied this stating, "I asked to be released, but Warner refused, so I hung out for a year until the contract expired. We parted on good terms."[11] Valance later confirmed she is no longer interested in recording music, telling Men's Style magazine:

"No one can make any money. It was a really tough slog and I had a good go at it, but it was difficult. You put in so much effort and put in so many long hours for not much return. I was making all my money from endorsements and appearances, but I didn't make that much from the actual record sales. I think everyone is suffering in the music industry. It wasn't just me. I do something until it's not fun any more and then move on. Music wasn't fun any more.

Bladenic

I think my favorite ULTRAVIOLENCE lyrics are:

Yeah my boyfriend's pretty cool
But he's not as cool as me

And

You push it hard, I pull away, I'm feeling hotter than fire
I guess that no one ever really made me feel that much higher
Te deseo, cariño, boy, it's you I desire
Your love, your love, your love

Queen.

SaintZ

I started OITNB on Monday and I finished S1/began S2 yesterday. LordT.

Oh today is Lana's 29th 28th birthday!

izkaqt8gshgydlgxze.gif

She also had an interesting interview with NPR:

From the interview, on Ultraviolence (song):
There are some people who are very uncomfortable with the idea of women surrendering.

I know. It's just that I don't feel uncomfortable with it. The act of surrendering sort of puts me in a different mindset that allows me to be more of a channel — because I'm not holding on so tightly to things, I'm letting go, and I find that in letting go I become more of a channel for life to really happen on life's terms. I mean, maybe that sounds sort of metaphysical, but that's honestly how I feel.
on Pretty When You Cry:
I want to ask about another song: "Pretty When You Cry."

The way you heard it recorded is the way I freestyled it. I made it up on the spot with my guitar player and left it as it was with that session drummer, and just called it a day on that song. Like the vocal inflection has its own narrative, it's not all lyric drive, it's just kind of moments in time that are meaningful to me left as they were, kind of untouched. The fact that I didn't go back and try to sing it better is really the story of that song, because that's sort of me revealing to you a facet of myself: I don't care that it's not perfect. That's why that song is more important in that way than what I'm actually saying.
On her "Lana Del Rey" persona:
Is Lana Del Rey a character played by Elizabeth Grant?

No. Lana Del Rey is exactly who she's supposed to be: Free enough to be her own person, and that's exactly who I am. I'm not like a persona. I'm not a caricature of myself.
I told y'all she wasn't a character.

tumblr_mnc9assLrI1ry46hlo1_400.gif

“Everybody’s asking: What do you have to say about your ban, Miss Lewis? How will this affect your new record deal?"

“Well, Barbara…"

Free+Radio+live+2012+Backstage+-+Leona+Lewis1.gif

&#8220;To be quite fair, I see no reason to get into specifics about a ban, since that&#8217;s not a cute look. I&#8217;ll just move on and stop arguing with flops who can&#8217;t help but project their own problems onto me <3&#8221;

EoopUjM.gif

Glad to be back, my hoes and bitches~~

Vazduh

Welcome back, Leona Lewis!

I love their music. This is is seriously the first time I've seen anyone else mention them, I've tried to get my friends into them with no luck. :/

The title track of this album>>>>>

Yaaaay, I'm glad I'm not the only one! <3

Holly Valance! Australian nobody queen that we all ogled over during high school because of that video where she appeared naked ._.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAkUtig5iG4&feature=kp

That's one of my
very
guilty pleasures ;_;
I even like the original song.

And I upgraded my On The Run tour tickets.

Now I'll be able to see the camel's acne scar indentations and hyperpigmentation spots up close and personuhl ;___;

AND Mumei left me the absolute best just-got-unbanned present in my PM box, the emotions and feels siS ;__;

I didnt knew you were banned Lewis but then again America didnt knew Glassheart existed.
That's because my ban was the result of neither meltdown nor malice.

Just your typical non-constructive response to a non-constructive thread.

I'm only glad no new music of note dropped while I was away. I just wanted to share this lovely gem of diamond-encrusted accuracy:

e1b7f7539e.png

Vazra

That's because my ban was the result of neither meltdown nor malice.

Just your typical non-constructive response to a non-constructive thread.

I'm only glad no new music of note dropped while I was away. I just wanted to share this lovely gem of diamond-encrusted accuracy:

e1b7f7539e.png

How are the sales going for Mariah?
ik4Z2kaTXEzQq.gif

BBboy20

OMMMMG I finally found it. I've been hearing this hot jam on the drive to work and always forget the lyrics by the time I get to my desk so I can't google it and find the song. Today, fate provided me a helping hand as the song started the moment I turned on my car with the radio DJ saying the name of the song. I was so happy I could cry :*)

What a sexy, PERFECT BOP. My fave musical discovery of 2014 tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESXgJ9-H-2U

slay a bit Kiesza

funny-baby-toddler-church.gif
She's probably the first artist who had me saying "Who is this chick!?"

Is the early '90s really making a comeback?

Mumei

And I upgraded my On The Run tour tickets.

Now I'll be able to see the camel's acne scar indentations and hyperpigmentation spots up close and personuhl ;___;

AND Mumei left me the absolute best just-got-unbanned present in my PM box, the emotions and feels siS ;__;

Welcome back. :)

You can call me a sinner
You can call me a saint
Celebrate me for who I am
Dislike me for what I ain't
top-20-madonna-hot-gifs-voguing.gif

Put me up on a pedestal
Or drag me down in the dirt
Sticks and stones will break my bones
But your names will never hurt
beautiful-stranger-top-20-madonna-hot-gifs.gif

I'll be the garden
You be the snake
All of my fruit is yours to take
Better the devil that you know
Your love for me will grow
Because
giphy.gif

This is who I am
You can
Like it or not
You can
Love me or leave me
Cos I'm never gonna stop
No no

3AF8

What kind of perfect anthem?
What kind of perfect song?
What kind of perfect finisher to a perfect album?
Who else but Madonna?
And by late 2015 we will have enjoyed ten years of Confessions On A Dance Floor. It remains unsurpassed in its genre.

Here for the next #1 single, Unapologetic Bitch. Will it be the next Hung Up? No, but it will be its own flawless masterpiece.

We're waiting for you, Madonna. Save pop music.

It cannot be overstated how perfect of a concept album COADF is. Get together and forbidden love are my favs. But really anything except for I love NY is immaculate.

Isaac tbh. Why do our faves even still try it?

But yes, the entire alber is immaculate except for I Love New York. The New York/dork rhyme completely kills it for me before it can even get started.

Vazra

Zendaya Responds To Aaliyah Role Criticism said:
Splash News caught up with the ex-Disney starlet to see if the naysayers had her feeling some type of way.

"&#8203;A lot of people say I&#8217;m not black enough. Half black is just enough," she said as she brought her father, Kazeme Ajamu, who is African American, into the shot .&#8203; "&#8203;It doesn&#8217;t matter what color you are, it&#8217;s about how you portray the character. For those that don&#8217;t know, Angela Bassett and Tina Turner, they look nothing alike but she was that character so I think that&#8217;s what it&#8217;s all about.&#8221; &#8203;

Her dad chimed in, playfully saying " They're shooting this in the summer. She'll get dark enough." &#8203;
Source
"They're shooting this in the summer. She'll get dark enough."
Such defense
ed2305b7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom