• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cory64

Get into American Lifesus if you're not digging Ray of Light

iUZRhhDkYZyf4.gif

So I'm trying to go through some classic albums that I have yet to listen to~

I can't get through Ray of Light. It's kind of bland. Oop.

But Bjork's Post is kind of amazing *0*

yeeeeeeeeeeeah!
my holy bjork trinity is post/homogenic/vespertine atm, although I do love volta

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Oh, so US itunes has a new number #1 some guy called Shawn Mendes
I googled him and he's only 15 and now I feel all kinds of creepy
iPkuDazhu2FCa.gif
iPkuDazhu2FCa.gif

Still, my indiscretions aside, the song isn't too bad. Click the pic for youtube

!!!
Nobody told me that the Vocalist Of Our Generation, Jhene Aiko, had a new single out! God she's so amazing! A truly groundbreaking performer.
But seriously, did Tinashe commit a major crime in a past life or something because there is something wrong in the universe if she is falling by the wayside whilst Jhene smashes. It feels like this happens to all my faves.

Anyone listening to Bjork absolutely MUST listen to her live renditions of her tracks. She really blows them out of the water. Even my boo Robyn covering Hyperballad doesn't even compare.

Yes, Bjork is legendary. In a world where artists fail to satisfy at live performances, it is always refreshing to have an individual who outdoes her studio versions live, like they used to do back in the good old days. True queen.

I bought the CD single for It's Oh So Quiet earlier, has a rather interesting remix of Hyperballad on it.

Keep fighting the good fight for the good sis Robyn

Getting my life to A Girl Like Me right now, it's actually pretty good. I'm not sure why so many people seem to dislike it, they probably just jumped on the bandwagon with GGGB and haven't bothered to listen to her first two because they're not all dark/'edgy'. What kind of video game analogy?

Omg new Grimes in like five hours can't wait.

Grizzo

!!!
Nobody told me that the Vocalist Of Our Generation, Jhene Aiko, had a new single out! God she's so amazing! A truly groundbreaking performer.
But seriously, did Tinashe commit a major crime in a past life or something because there is something wrong in the universe if she is falling by the wayside whilst Jhene smashes. It feels like this happens to all my faves.

Honestly I'll be happy just as long as we get Tinashe's album. Jhené is great too, but I'm not too worried about her, she's gonna do well I think.

Getting my life to A Girl Like Me right now, it's actually pretty good.

Break It Off is such a tuuuune. I know it did well in the charts but it could've been even bigger with a music video and some TV performances.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
4 tracks in and aside from Chandelier it's ranged from forgettable to trash.
How disappointing.
edit;Straight for the Knife is also shit.

Majmun

Urgh, forget about this Sia thing. People need to show more love to Kelis' FOOD. Best album since BEYONCÉ.

The other faves tried and failed, really.

Matt_

Wait I can actually understand her

Vazduh

I really like Go, and honestly, I wouldn't mind if Grimes went in a more mainstream direction, like this.

Btw, I love Rihanna, but she is a fool for rihjecting this!

Partition

Banned
Well I knew I wouldn't wholly like the song cuz the abysmal breakdown, but the verses are so damn good and fresh coming from her (and it's a good thing Go won't be on the album). I'm ready to be ended with her album, why did she say 2015 :(

Yado

It's a little too subdued for Rihanna. I guess it would have been up to her to bring some energy to it, either way it doesn't sound like she really lost out on much.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
great, Grimes leaves behind her creativity for trap-pop, the most vile of production trends. That fucking drop makes me want to barf.

trash_recycle_bin_garbage.png

Zutroy

More Ke$ha covers

TLgTxXY.jpg

New Saturday's single 'What Are You Waiting For?' which will lead for their greatest hits album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WoyeQ0Uo9k

Also listened to A.K.A. quite a lot whilst on holiday last week and have decided I like it quite a lot if you mostly stick to odd numbered tracks. Mainly the production more than anything. I love the beat in 'So Good'.

Ohmygod

They're going to play this at CLUBS

A Grimes song is going to come on and I won't be dancing alone in my room for once!

<3<3<3<3

I don't expect the rest of the album to sound like this tbh, I wonder whether it'll be added awkwardly onto the end as a bonus track or something. I doubt it's symptomatic of the rest of her work for the past two years, it's too big of a departure. I bet that's due to the Blood Diamonds influence and the original intention of the track. Don't be afeared.

Personally, I like the song, but I'm easily pleased and I think the production is cute. I like the spooky touches, lol.

royalan

great, Grimes leaves behind her creativity for trap-pop, the most vile of production trends. That fucking drop makes me want to barf.

Basically this.

I was actually kinda liking it until the drop. I said I was done with drop choruses and, fuck, I meant that shit.

Mau ®

Beat drops are everything. Ya'll are crazy.

Oh and Rihanna was with Kanye in the studio. ougwqdukehcokughfcoliwqahfcolugahedwfcik YASSSSSSS ANOTHER "ALL OF THE LIGHTS"!!

Matt_

Digging the new Grimes but then I only really liked Genesis from her other stuff and half ot that was because of the iconic video

More Ke$ha covers

TLgTxXY.jpg

New Saturday's single 'What Are You Waiting For?' which will lead for their greatest hits album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WoyeQ0Uo9k

Also listened to A.K.A. quite a lot whilst on holiday last week and have decided I like it quite a lot if you mostly stick to odd numbered tracks. Mainly the production more than anything. I love the beat in 'So Good'.

This is decent, not quite up there with their best but I use
Their greatest hits will likely get a lot of rotation from me

Vitanimus

Ohmygod

They're going to play this at CLUBS

A Grimes song is going to come on and I won't be dancing alone in my room for once!

<3<3<3<3

I don't expect the rest of the album to sound like this tbh, I wonder whether it'll be added awkwardly onto the end as a bonus track or something. I doubt it's symptomatic of the rest of her work for the past two years, it's too big of a departure. I bet that's due to the Blood Diamonds influence and the original intention of the track. Don't be afeared.

Personally, I like the song, but I'm easily pleased and I think the production is cute. I like the spooky touches, lol.

I agree. I think going by the Governor's Ball snippets on instagram and Youtube that Go isn't indicative of a new and more "mainstream" sound.

Drops rarely work, and I never liked how they became a thing in pop music. It always manifests itself in "dropping" the whole melody/structure of the song altogether and going crazy with beats and sound effects.

Where Have You Been suffers as a song from it, the whole of Kesha's Warrior suffers from it, ... there's countless examples, but I'm drawing a blank now. :/

The really sad part is that most of the times you can hear how the song would remain a good song and climax if they'd kept both the beat drop and the melody in some form.

They should take a page from Nero. For example, in Guilt at the 1m00s mark there's a clear dupstep like drop, yet the chorus also continues, with voice and a audible melody. Now that I like.

Fey

Banned
pZwb73u.jpg

"Katy Perry is a force to be reckoned with in music," said RIAA Chairman & CEO Cary Sherman during a ceremony at Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. "We are honored to recognize Katy as the most successful digital artist in Gold & Platinum Program history. She embodies all that makes a true global superstar: the musical talent, the extraordinary drive and genuine charisma, and an intrinsic connection with her fans. This award is a reflection of her deep commitment to those qualities and to her music, which has propelled her to this historic milestone. We congratulate Katy and her team on all her success."

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom