• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
pZwb73u.jpg

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Slay dem with your RECEIPTS, dark horse
eek.gif

So that makes three ARTPOP tracks whose instrumentals are recycled from work in the past. It reinforces my opinion about the album's production feeling a bit dated. Easily my least favorite thing about ARTPOP is that Lady Gaga seemed intent on giving these DJs a huge limelight, or at least to let their talents shine as bright as her own. Except the DJs themselves are what hold this album back, and they sort of drag it down with instrumentals that are neither fresh nor unexpected. They're just... there. And now to find out that some of them are not even NEW is just a bummer. I still love the album to death (and is definitely one of my favorite albums of all time, pop or otherwise), but I just want her to leave this whole thing behind so badly and take a completely new direction.

So that makes three ARTPOP tracks whose instrumentals are recycled from work in the past. It reinforces my opinion about the album's production feeling a bit dated. Easily my least favorite thing about ARTPOP is that Lady Gaga seemed intent on giving these DJs a huge limelight, or at least to let their talents shine as bright as her own. Except the DJs themselves are what hold this album back, and they sort of drag it down with instrumentals that are neither fresh nor unexpected. They're just... there.

But Gaga chose those instrumentals, you can't really blame it all on the DJs. Why didn't she choose something fresh (and actually good), like G.U.Y. for example?

cory64

Mau ®;118410839 said:
Aren't Taylor Swift and Rihanna more successful than Katy in the digital realm tho?

Pretty sure they are.

The RIAA charges $350 per certification, so Def Jam probably couldn't afford it.

JCX

Basically this.

I was actually kinda liking it until the drop. I said I was done with drop choruses and, fuck, I meant that shit.

Yeah a bit too brosteppy for my tastes.

Mau ®;118379786 said:
Oh and Rihanna was with Kanye in the studio. ougwqdukehcokughfcoliwqahfcolugahedwfcik YASSSSSSS ANOTHER "ALL OF THE LIGHTS"!!

Is Fergie back too?

xaosslug

MJH is a huge improvement in every way.

basically. I mean ARTPOP overall was flop trash, but let's not all act like we weren't bopping to some tracks and MJH isn't still one of Gaga's best songs (not saying much, but still)

Cause I love, love, 'cause I love, love
You better than, you better than
My darkest sin
Russian hookers, and cheap gin

hilariousrawalaskanklf1kcl.gif

xaosslug

the vine/youtube/twitter/instagram tweens are taking over the industry.

be very afraid.
514pAq4.gif
Austin Mahone came 'round the bend right around the time Bieber and his shit stache lost dat luster.

Now, in record time, here's a new twink in town as an answer to Sam Smith and his balladeering ways.

Which boystar is on track to be replaced with a shiny new jailbait version next?

xaosslug

Austin Mahone came 'round the bend right around the time Bieber and his shit stache lost dat luster.

Now, in record time, here's a new twink in town as an answer to Sam Smith and his balladeering ways.

Which boystar is on track to be replaced with a shiny new jailbait version next?

i saw some of this guy's vine friends (he's a part of that whole Nash Grier 'crew') telling their fans on twitter to buy this shiit on iTunes and call into Seacrest's show to request it... I literally can't.

what is music?

d a bit at all the hipsters on Grimes her Soundcloud page.

She dun sold out, y'all. Never mind this is only one serng and we don't even know what the new alber will be like.

But why the breakdown? I LOVE THE REST SO MUCH.

Vitanimus

Sky COLLLECTING the haters :desdbanana:

As someone who has worked very closely with Terry Richardson on many many many occasions since I was 17 years old I would like to say... from my OWN personal experience: I have never been forced or manipulated into anything. I made a music video with him and I have never felt uncomfortable with Terry & had 99 percent of the creative control. This was before I was "famous". Allegations are one thing but completely blaming the director isn't fair aka the Lady Gaga video. It doesn't matter if you want to be a "role model" or not, it's your responsibility to be AWARE of what you're doing. When you're making & selling pop music for 14 year olds that is just a straight up fact. I'm not against/doubting people that have said they've encountered things with him (it's not my place to say so) but the media acting as if Terry Richardson manipulated Lady Gaga into making a video about getting touched by R-Kelly or whatever is a whole other thing. She is 28 year old woman & fully capable/aware of what she was doing. If she wants to do it is HER choice. Whether I agree with it or not. I'm REALLY insulted that my work is somehow getting dragged into this mess (this is the only place I can actually write about this). Terry has only been a supportive & caring friend to me for a long time. I actually find the whole thing upsetting & have for a while. To say I support sexual abuse beyond hurts me. I've experienced it from a very early age until I was 16 years old & have been VERY vocal about it. I am a feminist & work with foundations globally w/ children & women that are victims of sexual abuse. I fight for it every day. To discredit me because I'm friends of someone or my music videos/photos make you feel certain way is YOUR problem. Not mine. Your opinion of someone doesn't make them who they are I am NOT saying the women who have publicly spoken are at fault or wrong or lying. I hope they get help. I'm disgusted that people use others (victims) pain for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ or someway to help themselves climb the ladder of whatever they are trying to get to. The media & the fucking peanut gallery/trolls on the internet can paint any picture they want of you. They never have the full details. They can manipulate & project an image/persona that benefits them. There are lots of details that we DON'T know about it. There are many reasons & FACTS why I support Terry Richardson that media (basically) refuses to acknowledge. If it were up to the world I would be a racist/heroin addict manufactured robot. Which I'm far from either of those things. Before you judge people off of some article you read off a newspaper or some blog just remember: They are selling you something. The story is to benefit them somehow. It's only half truth. If that.Basically if one more person has the nerve to ask/tell me that I've fucked Terry Richardson, I will slit their fucking throat.People fail to mention the 8,000 men he's also shot. I had a topless album cover. So fucking what? I don't necessarily expect people to understand why I did it or like it. The fact that I still have to explain myself or be publicly shamed every time I speak to a journalist about it EIGHT months later is disturbing. Also, if I was using my "tits" to sell anything, my body is worth more than any cash on the entire planet. Not to mention most musicians don't MAKE ANY money off of fucking sales. There's a lot more damage being done to the world than the female body. Get a grip.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
not M̶a̶r̶i̶a̶h̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶e̶y̶'̶s̶ Ariana Grande's impact being so low she can'T even influence Big Brother with her "13 million" Twitter followers
tears-of-joy-smiley-emoticon.gif

#GoGrandeOrGoHome

xaosslug

not M̶a̶r̶i̶a̶h̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶e̶y̶'̶s̶ Ariana Grande's impact being so low she can'T even influence Big Brother with her "13 million" Twitter followers

#GoGrandeOrGoHome

are her fans even old (or they're too old... let's be real. She's got a v. v. large chunk of the perv-demo LOL) enough to watch this show? It's completely the wrong demo, and I don't think she's asked on any of her fans on ha social medias to do shit... yet.
vYHJq6F.gif

royalan

Go is basically the Skirt of 2014

now watch Grimes' album be underwhelming compare to it

You shut your mouth. Skirt>>>>>Go

Although, funny enough, I did think of Skirt after listening to this. Not that the songs are similar, but I love how even though Skirt has a dubstep breakdown, it follows up with a traditional chorus. Skirt has the best Kylie chorus of all her new music, actually. ;___;

Tonight be my supernova take whatever you want
Tonight let me bask in you like rays of the sun
Tonight I'm yours
Tonight we're one

And then my skirt came down (down)

tumblr_mobk9jLARX1s51f5to1_500.gif

Excerpts from an interview with a former engineer about working with Prince.
"You are talking about someone who would play a show from 8:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. and then perform at an afterparty," she recalls of Prince's torrid pace. "Then I would book a recording studio for 1 a.m. while on tour and Prince would work on his music or say Sheila E's record. There is so much great, unreleased material from Prince. We would work all day and night long, and then he would be up the next morning ready to do it all over again."

But the Purple Rain-era holds a special place in Rogers' heart. For the then 27-year-old, it was baptism-by-fire after being hired as the songwriting machine's personal studio technician in August of 1983. It was during this period that Rogers, who would go on to engineer for such acclaimed Prince works as Around The World In A Day, Parade, and Sign 'O The Times, witnessed the making of the enigmatic artist's highest selling album (the soundtrack to the Oscar-winning 1984 film has to date sold nearly 20 million copies worldwide).
"Darling Nikki" is a hell of a song to have as your first project. Did you press play and think to yourself, "What have I gotten myself into?"
[Laughs] You have to remember I was his new employee. So Prince had me put up the tape of "Darling Nikki." I pushed up the faders and I remember thinking, "Holy shit!" "Darling Nikki" wasn't even finished yet, but you could tell it was something special. I would hazard to guess he did it all by himself; he played everything. The song "Let's Go Crazy" was recorded live at a rehearsal. That was one of the first things I did with Prince. He rehearsed the song and the arrangement of the song with his band The Revolution. At that time, St. Louis Park was the city where Prince rehearsed. Now typically, the recording studio is isolated from the musicians, but not in this case. We had the recording equipment right in the middle of the floor. We recorded the band live and then Prince and I stayed there late, late late to do the guitar solo and the additional instrumental parts. That was the first song I recorded with him from beginning to end. It was crazy.

You talk about recording with Prince so nonchalantly, but from all the stories about his recording exploits he was known for wearing out engineers. How were you able to keep up?
Let me tell you. At that time, four hours of sleep was a good night's sleep for Prince. I would usually get a phone call at 9 a.m. and it's from Prince. When he would call that meant come to the studio immediately. Prince would tell me what kind of set up he wanted. The most important thing was to never hand Prince an instrument that wasn't in tune. His technicians taught me how to tune his piano, drums, bass, and guitar. And this included setting up a vocal mic as well. Prince would come downstairs and usually have a lyric sheet written in long hand. And he would tape it up on a stand in front of the drums. I'd hit record and he would play the entire drum track from beginning to end without a click with the song in his head. He was a musical genius, especially on the drum machine.

Show off...
That's how talented he is. Prince wanted to be able to walk from the drum booth into the control room, pick up the bass and play the bass parts. Next he might do the keyboard or pick up the guitar. He'd get half of the instrumentation done and then by himself he would record his vocals. Once it was time for vocals, I would leave the room. He always had to do his vocals alone because he needed that concentration. We could finish an entire song and have it printed and mixed in one day and have copies made. And then a few hours later, the phone would ring again and it's Prince [laughs]. And I would come back and do the whole thing again. But that's just so extremely rare. Most people don't or can't work like that.

Can you think of any other artist that has been that obsessed with recording at such a torrid pace?
No. I can't think of any other artist who has ever done what he's done. His competition at that time was Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen and Madonna. Now there have been other artists since that have seemingly done it all in the studio. But they don't really do it all. They are not writing, producing and arranging all of their material. And playing every instrument and writing music for movies at the same time and writing for other artists. Prince was doing all this and designing every aspect of his live show. He even designed his own clothes. To do all this and be on top for as long as he was and to have that many hit records and exercising that much control and power and that much anonymity over that many aspects of your music there's no precedent for that.

Excerpt from Rolling Stones' track by track review:
The “Purple Rain” movie debuted at No. 1, and the album spawned five hit singles, two of which—“When Doves Cry” and “Let’s Go Crazy”—topped the Billboard Hot 100. To date, it’s sold some 20 million copies—a great many of those replacements for all the records, tapes, and CDs literally played to death by hardcore fans.

“Purple Rain” is that rare critical and commercial success that justifies every scrap of hyperbolic praise. Six albums into his career, Prince had found a terrific band in the Revolution and figured out how to sell his freakiness in malls and movie houses across the country. Read on to get our track-by-track take on an album that briefly had pop fans, punks, metal heads, moms, dads, cheerleaders, accountants, and just about everyone else in the world not named Tipper Gore pledging allegiance to the same purple freak flag.
Also:
Etta James covering Purple Rain
Yesterday was the 30th anniversary of Purple Rain, and in mentioning this, most news outlets have inevitably mentioned the massive amount of praise this album has received. As such, people who have not previously heard Prince will be drawn to that album. But as undeniably fantastic as it is, I’d maintain that Purple Rain is not the album most likely to convince a newcomer of Prince's genius -- Sign O' The Times is more eclectic, 1999 more diverse, Dirty Mind more did-he-just-say-that sexual, The Black Album more bizarre. If you know Prince first and foremost as that skinny pop star with the high voice and need convincing of his genius, any of those albums would work better.
From Yahoo!
When Prince released his Purple Rain soundtrack 30 years ago, the world changed forever. Now a staple of American rock music, Prince's sixth studio album is still considered to be one of the greatest records of all time, and has influenced everyone from OutKast to Janelle Monae. The aforementioned lyrics from the album's title track ended up being quite prophetic — the Purple One ended up playing a major role in changing the times by reaching for something new, leading the way by adeptly mixing elements of rock, R&B, heavy metal, and pop on an album that would change the face of popular music forever.

It also spawned an unforgettable movie of the same name (released the month after the album came out), starring Prince himself. Often criticized for being melodramatic and not terribly well-acted, it still became a cult classic, and it featured some of the best concert footage in history.

To celebrate the album's 30th anniversary, here are 10 fascinating facts about Purple Rain:
2. Purple Rain won an Oscar for Best Original Song Score — a category that no longer exists. In 1985, Purple Rain won an Academy Award for Best Original Song Score, beating out The Muppets Take Manhattan. When accepting the award, Prince took the stage in a bejeweled purple cloak, flanked by his Revolution bandmates Wendy and Lisa. "This is very unbelievable," he said. "I could have never imagined this in my wildest dreams."
4. The risqué track "Darling Nikki" is partially responsible for Parental Advisory stickers on albums. Prince's infamous song, which tells the story of a "sex fiend" who seduces the singer, became famous for its racy lyrics and caused Vice President Al Gore's then-wife, Tipper Gore, to campaign for Parental Advisory stickers on album covers after she heard her daughter listening to the sultry tune. "Darling Nikki" has since been covered by everyone from Rihanna to the Foo Fighters.
6. The Purple Rain soundtrack spent 24 weeks at the top of the charts, but the title track only reached No. 2. Purple Rain claimed the No. 1 spot on the Billboard charts for a record-breaking 24 weeks during 1984 and 1985 — a feat that wasn't matched until Adele's 21 came along in 2012. Meanwhile, the album's title track only ever reached the second position on the charts.
7. Prince mysteriously removed the bassline from "When Doves Cry." "Doves" — the lead single from Purple Rain — was Prince's very first No. 1 single in America. Strangely enough, it's completely missing a bassline, which is very unusual for a dance track. He reportedly thought the song was too conventional with it intact, and decided to remove it.
8. Prince always hits his mark. According to Purple Rain producer Robert Cavallo, Prince's live performances for the movie were so spot-on that they were often done in just one or two takes, and his accuracy saved them three weeks of filming. "We were a few weeks behind, and we had four weeks set to shoot the music," Cavallo explained to Spin magazine. "So I said to Prince, 'You know, Albert is gonna want to do 20 takes, he's gonna want different angles.' And Prince, he almost changed color. 'I'll give him one take for each song' [he said], I said, 'No, that's extreme. What if we just did a couple of takes with a bunch of cameras?' We got a bunch of cameramen, and Prince, who's unbelievable, always hit his mark. Within a week, we had done the four weeks' work."
Spotify link

Prince is also connected to another landmark anniversary this week. Director Tim Burton’s superhero movie classic “Batman” – which featured a song soundtrack by Prince – turned 25 on Monday.
ibeNO2xPcvzXfq.gif

I weep for your faves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom