• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutroy

I've tried listening to the Velvet Rope on three occasions this week at work, and even though I've had it playing, I've been too busy to actually take any of it in.

I'll try again for a fourth time soon!

Icicle

Twisted Elegance

HgljMbl.jpg

Accolades and Accomplishments:

Included on Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums of All Time"
'Together Again" is noted as one of the best-selling singles of all time worldwide
"I Get Lonely" became Janet's EIGHTEENTH consecutive Top 10 single on the Billboard Hot 100, making her the only female to ever accomplish this feat
"Got 'til It's Gone" won a Grammy for Best Short Form Music Video
Velvet Rope: Live in Madison Square Garden won an Emmy for "Outstanding Technical Direction/Camera/Video for a Special"
Sold over ten million copies worldwide

------
Impressions:

Although I love all of Janet's albums equally (for different reasons), this album is truly something special. I love how dark and introspective it is. For someone as reclusive as Janet, I am surprised by her willingness to open up on this album and All For You. I'll spare you all another one of my essays, but this album is jusT. You gorls who haven't listened to it really owe it to yourselves to find out from whom your faves learned it.

Every time I listen to this album, I appreciate it a bit more. There are so many subtleties and creative samples used throughout; there's no way to digest them all in ten, much less one listen. That said, The Velvet Rope era extends beyond the album. To fully appreciate all that TVR has to offer, it is imperative to watch the videos and the tour. These music videos and The Velvet Rope World Tour represent some of Janet's best audiovisual offerings.

For your viewing pleasure:
Got 'til It's Gone
Together Again
I Get Lonely Feat. Blackstreeet
Go Deep
You
Every Time

The Velvet Rope World Tour -- Live in Concert

Janet's Vevo is a mess. She really needs to sort that out before she comes back.

Responses:
Aguila, you should really let the second half in. It has some of my favorite songs like "Empty," "Rope Burn," and "Special," in addition to the ones you already mentioned. Glad you liked it, though! Thanks for doing this!

Crumpet, I hope your boochie is still intact. I don't understand why nobody seems to appreciate Janet's interludes =(

Art Booty Patrol, small nitpick, but the line you quoted isn't an actual lyric, it's from an interlude and Janet isn't even the one saying it. I see TVR and RN as polar opposites: Janet talking about her problems in the former and the ills of society in the latter. I think they complement each other well. Have you listened to all of Janet's albums or just these two?

Weapxn, you betta stan! Do you like the album version more or the version with Blackstreet?

Art Booty Patrol, small nitpick, but the line you quoted isn't an actual lyric, it's from an interlude and Janet isn't even the one saying it. I see TVR and RN as polar opposites: Janet talking about her problems in the former and the ills of society in the latter. I think they complement each other well. Have you listened to all of Janet's albums or just these two?

Just these two. I'm assuming that I should listen to Janet. next since it precedes the The Velvet Rope and follows Rhythm Nation?

Don't try me today, sis. Because I'm pissed that Tatiana Maslany and Emmy Rossum were snubbed by the Emmy's AGAIN, and I'm in a mood to read.

Smh.... I just got into Orphan Black and now I'm tight. Ridiculous...

Billboard said:
Beyonce, Iggy Azalea Rule Billboard.com's 2014 Mid-Year Music Poll

Females once again dominated Billboard.com's annual Mid-Year Music Poll, with two very different divas -- Beyonce and Iggy Azalea -- rising to the top after the first six months of the year.

Here are the final results for Billboard.com's 2014 Mid-Year Music Poll:

First-Half MVP

1. Beyonce (17%)
2. Iggy Azalea (16%)
3. Ariana Grande (11%)

Favorite No. 1 Hot 100 Song

1. Iggy Azalea feat. Charli XCX, "Fancy" (19%)
2. Katy Perry feat. Juicy J, "Dark Horse" (12%)
3. Pharrell, "Happy" (11%)

Favorite No. 1 Billboard 200 Album

1. Beyonce, "Beyonce" (18%)
2. Soundtrack, "Frozen" (14%)
3. Coldplay, "Ghost Stories" (9%)

Breakout Star

1. Iggy Azalea (34%)
2. Sam Smith (13%)
3. 5 Seconds of Summer (11%)

Best Music Video

1. Iggy Azalea feat. Charli XCX, "Fancy" (28%)
2. Katy Perry, "Dark Horse" (19%)
3. Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea, "Problem" (18%)

Best Comeback

1. Jason Derulo (15%)
2. Jennifer Lopez (13%)
3. Lily Allen (10%)

Most Memorable Feud

1. Drake vs. Jay Z (26%)
2. Justin Bieber vs. Seth Rogen (17%)
3. Azealia Banks vs. T.I. (12%)

Most Buzzed-About Moment

1. Lady Gaga's paint-vomiting SXSW performance (26%)
2. Jay Z and Solange fight in an elevator (20%)
3. Michael Jackson's "Xscape" album release (12%)

Best Festival Performance

1. Lana Del Rey at Coachella (23%)
2. Pharrell at Coachella (16%)
3. Outkast at Governors Ball (13%)

Best Style

1. Miley Cyrus (21%)
2. Rihanna (17%)
3. Beyonce (16%)

Best Tour

1. Lady Gaga's ARTPOP tour (18%)
2. Demi Lovato's Neon Lights tour (12%)
3. Beyonce's Mrs. Carter tour (11%)

Best Televised Performance

1. Iggy Azalea, Ariana Grande and Charli XCX at Billboard Music Awards (21%)
2. Michael Jackson hologram at Billboard Music Awards (20%)
3. Bruno Mars at the Super Bowl (14%)

Most Disappointing of 2014

1. U.S. "X Factor" cancelled (24%)
2. Justin Bieber's racist video leaks (23%)
3. Mariah Carey's "Elusive" sales (13%)

Most Anticipated Music Event of 2014's Second Half

1. Beyonce & Jay Z's 'On The Run' Tour (16%)
2. Ariana Grande's Next Album (14%)
3. "Glee's" final season (11%)

Song That Will Dominate 2014's Second Half

1. Nicki Minaj, "Pills N Potions" (18%)
2. Sam Smith, "Stay With Me (12%)
3. Fifth Harmony, "Bo$$" (11%)

Source

Welp, Queen Slaying as per
Except in style lol.

Touchdown

Banned
Twisted Elegance

HgljMbl.jpg

Accolades and Accomplishments:

Included on Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Albums of All Time"
'Together Again" is noted as one of the best-selling singles of all time worldwide
"I Get Lonely" became Janet's EIGHTEENTH consecutive Top 10 single on the Billboard Hot 100, making her the only female to ever accomplish this feat
"Got 'til It's Gone" won a Grammy for Best Short Form Music Video
Velvet Rope: Live in Madison Square Garden won an Emmy for "Outstanding Technical Direction/Camera/Video for a Special"
Sold over ten million copies worldwide

------
Impressions:

Although I love all of Janet's albums equally (for different reasons), this album is truly something special. I love how dark and introspective it is. For someone as reclusive as Janet, I am surprised by her willingness to open up on this album and All For You. I'll spare you all another one of my essays, but this album is jusT. You gorls who haven't listened to it really owe it to yourselves to find out from whom your faves learned it.

Every time I listen to this album, I appreciate it a bit more. There are so many subtleties and creative samples used throughout; there's no way to digest them all in ten, much less one listen. That said, The Velvet Rope era extends beyond the album. To fully appreciate all that TVR has to offer, it is imperative to watch the videos and the tour. These music videos and The Velvet Rope World Tour represent some of Janet's best audiovisual offerings.

Got 'til It's Gone
Together Again
Go Deep
You
Every Time

Janet's Vevo is a mess. She really needs to sort that out before she comes back.

Responses:
Aguila, you should really let the second half in. It has some of my favorite songs like "Empty," "Rope Burn," and "Special," in addition to the ones you already mentioned. Glad you liked it, though! Thanks for doing this!

Crumpet, I hope your boochie is still intact. I don't understand why nobody seems to appreciate Janet's interludes =(

Weapxn, you betta stan! Do you like the album version more or the version with Blackstreet?

Let me go listen to this again. :)

jsfADs6JL8ezP.jpg

Aguila

#ICONIC
Got 'til It's Gone
Together Again
Go Deep
You
Every Time

Responses:

I will try to spend more time with the second half :3

And bless you for gatherinG all the links. I was planning on searching for the music videos.

Nemesis_

I am late to the party with this and I didn't even get to finish it, but I'll dump my thoughts here about The Velvet Rope because I don't want my "notes" to go to waste.

I didn't get to finish it and I probably won't get time to, but yeah. I kind of liked it - it was better than I was thinking it would be. I do think it's a little bit overrated here though.

KrT2Gw5.jpg

I'll preface this "review" with a warning that I go off on tangents from time to time so yeah ._. I also have little to no experience with Janet Jackson. I heard All Nite once and thought that was great but never really moved beyond that to dive into her work.

From the beginning, I don't really like album interludes they just kind of make the album longer and very rarely add anything to the overall album. They kind of feel outdated because I would hazard a guess that we move away from listening to albums as a long and cohesive piece and instead just go for singles or whatever. I rarely think concept albums work all that well but I've never really been one to dabble in them too much either so maybe that decision is a little bit premature. Two really good "concept" albums I've listened to are Confessions On A Dance Floor and The Black Parade - they tell a story. After listening to The Velvet Rope I don't think it's like that - it's more of an introspective album that tells multiple stories from a single source rather than a single cohesive one. I realise typing this I probably had the idea of "concept" album wrong - I thought they had to tell a story when really all they need to do is tackle a small set of themes together.

The opening track is really creepy and took me by surprise especially the transition between the Twisted Elegance interlude and the title track itself, Velvet Rope. As for the song, Velvet Rope itself, it's pretty good. It's a cruisy bop with some chill as fuck production. You is a more upbeat affair that mixes distant and droning vocals with a more explosive chorus. Is it just me or is she really trying to channel Michael Jackson with this song? Her vocal style (or maybe the backing vocal?) sounds so similar to him when she's singing the chorus. Got 'Til It's Gone has a much funkier undertone to it and seems to be a bit more uplifting than the songs thus far on the album. I don't love sampling in music but I think it works pretty well here creating a kind of weird dichotomy between the original folk song and this more R&B flavoured track. It's very mellow so I can imagine people calling it boring but I was surprised to see this was the LEAD SINGLE from the album. Not here for the cackling during the bridge though.

Another boring interlude (Speaker Phone) and we are into the next track which is My Need. Within the first ten seconds of this song I really love the production. It's an exciting song with sombre undertones - creating another clever but weird juxtapositioning. I'm not sure if she is or not but it sounds familiar - is she sampling in this song too? Regardless, this is the first song where my interest started to wane but I still persisted. It just didn't do anything for me. More cackling in the Fasten Your Seatbelts interlude -_- although I see the tempo is starting to pick itself up with Go Deep the deep penetration anthem of the year. The production is much more upbeat but I don't think it's one of the standouts from the album. I'm actually surprised to see it was released as a single, though it was fairly late into the album cycle so maybe they were just scraping the bottom of the barrel >_>. We then move on to Free Xbox One which is a much more dialled back song compared to everything so far......at least until the tempo changes just under a minute in. This is another over the top, much more eclectic song that I enjoy but it reminds me a lot of We're The Gullwings from Final Fantasy X-2 and then there's the sounds of Yoshi dying at like 2:00 :/ It just feels like a really unfocused, less polished song compared to the others.

We have a short blink-and-you'll-miss-it interlude Memory which feels entirely pointless. Then we have Together Again which is one of the songs by Janet I knew about but totally forgot about or didn't know it was her. I never actually knew what this song was called either but I knew of it. Kind of embarrassing. But yeah it's definitely easy to see why this was one of the more popular / well performing songs from the album. It's not necessarily better than the other stuff I've listened to thus far but it's definitely the "safest". I read up about this song and discovered it was written about a friend of hers who died from AIDS, which is sad, but it's also interesting that she managed to make the song work on both a personal level for her but also generally applicable to everyone. Very well written and fun song. Another interlude that is kind of funny and a sound that I forgot - serving 56k dialup modem realness in Online. The opening of Empty sounds like an amazing lost track from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze *.* mixed with tinges of Mirror's Edge / REZ. I love it's whimsical nature but as a song itself I think her delivery on it is rather drab.

The Full interlude happens and goes without little interest (as per with all these interludes) and we move on to What About which sounds like a bit of a dreary tropical flavoured ballad which then transforms into an angry guitar driven accusation thatI actually enjoyed quite a bit. The guitar reminds me a lot of the guitars in the song 24 by Jem. Once again though, I notice whenever Janet gets emotional or loud she sounds a lot like her brother. It's uncanny. I really hate pure ballads so Every Time really wasn't for me at all - I have nothing to say about it besides it was boring for me. I think the video was pretty influential though - I see similarities in videos like Britney's Everytime or Rihanna's Stay. The link is tenuous, I'll admit, but it's there. I felt the same way about Tonight's The Night but I appreciate that Janet played around with Rod Stewart's original version to offer a version dealing with topics that I assume would've been less accepted back then than they were now.

Grizzo

While we're talking about Janet, can I just say that Discipline is a tragically underrated album?

This is good! Funny thing is that I saw your post literally the second I finished listening to Perfectly Imperfect for the first time. Such a good album.

Glad you liked it Vazduh! :D

Still need to find the time to listen to your playlist, but I already found two songs that I really like so I feel like it's gonna be great!

Still don't like the song but the video is ok. Camila looks like a little girl trying hard to look sexy. She looks too young to be doing this IMO. The other four look good.

Also, Grizzo, I finally listened to the Yelle songs you linked me to since I'm the mood to listen some French music rn and while I wasn't feeling Safari Disco Club, Que Veux-Tu and Comme Un Enfant are bops.

iisaqe8ifgg3d2yyyw.gif

L'Amour Parfait is a good slow bop too. I'll try to check out more of their stuff.

Awesome! Their new album comes out in Fall, and most of it is gonna be produced by Dr. Luke from what I've heard. I know sometimes he can get lazy with his productions, but since this time he is teaming up with Yelle (the three members), I'm sure it's gonna be good.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
PkuOLzl.jpg

Yaya as Whitney... Hmmmm lol

on other news which IDK if posted and true but Azealia Banks is apparently free from her label or on the way of leaving the label.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
She's finishing it this month. She was going to release a punk album but that got shelved:

So glad she ditched Dr. Fluke
67d90ee8r9utw.gif

I'm glad she dropped the punk album tbh because I would not be here for it
Hoping for a late August release then if she's going on tour in September unless shes going to do all her promo in between shows

That Billboard List
Miley cyrus top on style? Gags being puked on more important that solange's animal abuse?

Although it does practically confirm that Iggy will get Best New Artist at the grammys, which shall please Roy to no end

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Let me nominate Spice Girls for next week tbh
How do you add stuff to the spotify playlist btw? I really have no idea how it all works
Also to hewever added Daft Punk/Pharrell to it, I hate you.

I'm pretty sure that Let Go was the first album I ever bought too. Hmm. Or maybe it was Fever. Idk.

In any case, should be a blast from the past, sounds fun. I can go through Complicated and Sk8er Boi in my head beginning-to-end and I don't know the last time I heard them, Punk Avrallah's impact.

Also that Taylor pic is giving me everything, slay my educated essay-writing queen of life.

Vazduh

Well, that was fast.

On to the #next #one! New song getting released real soon, keep watching this page #alexandrastan #dance #fonogramstudios

Looking forward to it! Btw, the single cover looks just like

Kylie_Minogue_Fever_album_cover.jpg

Glad you liked it Vazduh! :D

Still need to find the time to listen to your playlist, but I already found two songs that I really like so I feel like it's gonna be great!

Don't worry about that, take your time :) I'm going to give those other albums you recommended a listen soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom