• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazduh

What in the name of...

Crocs defense force adsafssdfgsadfsfeafrafdsfsdfsdgfs

xBeUsPz.gif

Ugh, that reminds me, I emailed Kimbra's label about the lack of anything about The Golden Echo in the UK but never got a response. I guess it's not coming out here, sigh. I know Vows flopped, but did that come out before or after SYUTK? 90s Music is on the iTunes Store but nothing on the album.

Vows was released a few months after Gotye's single, I think? Wait, why wouldn't Kimbra's album be released in the UK? That's weird... It makes no sense.

Lorde is quality, I love her record. Imagine if her and Lana got together to make a musical baby? Lawd...

Also, can't you like just something a normal person amount without being a "stan" whatever? I just don't get this schizophrenic "best, most life changing thing ever/utter trash and possibly worse than cancer" barometer that seems to get used in here.

I think it's maybe just a bit of a gag, but who knows. You guys are funny.

1A9yCSG.jpg

this is transparent. pls just stop.

irI6OwXDMYwO0.png

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
How many unreleased tracks from BEYONCÉ have leaked?

I just saw some interview with Nicole Schiererihzizngneringer that said she's recorded five albums worth of material that won't see the light of day, which is sort of fascinating to me. Or would be if I care about her. It mainly got me thinking about other artists' unreleased song catalogs.

JohnDoe

Banned
apruebo
& submit:

ANNIE the a&r ep
BEACH HOUSE bloom
CRYSTAL CASTLES (iii)
GRIMES visions
HAIM days are gone
JESSIE WARE devotion
KANE WEST yeezus
KENDRICK LAMAR good kid m.a.a.d city
KESHA warrior
THE NATIONAL trouble will find me
PURITY RING shrines
SOLANGE true ep

those are some of my favourites from 2012–present.

My wallet...

Mumei

I used to hate Beyonce too, but Mumei got me together.

I don't even remember this! I must be getting old.

megaphone_emote_by_mirz123-d39t4f5.gif
megaphone.gif
ATTENTION: TOUCHDOWN
megaphone.gif

I took your suggestion and finally gave MIAMTEC a whirl. It's really good! Mariah's still super talented, I don't think her voice has diminished at all like some people say. She's def deserving of being the 2nd best selling female artist of all time (Madonna's still Queen @ #1 with over 300 million albums sold <3 )

I particularly love:
The Art of Letting Go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-a2JwEkviU
You Don't Know What To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJXAA2tw-BA
Meteorite (this might be my fave)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdENXIr18OA

certified bops tbh
1Oymt.gif

Oh, it has. It's a pale shadow of what it was. If it weren't, her performances thus far wouldn't have her lipping 90% of the hard stuff and the evidence of studio magic hoisting her across the difficult patches wouldn't be so apparent.

Vitanimus

apruebo
& submit:

ANNIE the a&r ep
BEACH HOUSE bloom
CRYSTAL CASTLES (iii)
GRIMES visions
HAIM days are gone
JESSIE WARE devotion
KANE WEST yeezus
KENDRICK LAMAR good kid m.a.a.d city
KESHA warrior
THE NATIONAL trouble will find me
PURITY RING shrines
SOLANGE true ep

those are some of my favourites from 2012–present.

A perfect post &#128591;&#128591;&#128591; crystal castles aren't really discussed a lot here, and there hasn't been a lot of chatter of their fourth album. The transition from their first to second record was incredible; their third refined and focused on the sound they crafted in the second album.

I think you posted Beyonce Knowles, The Voice of Our Generation and I was like.... wait. I remembered a lot of Jennifer Hudson-esque shouting from the DC days so I was really ambivalent towards her. "Single Ladies" blowing up and being insipid didn't help. So that video started a shift on my opinion of Beyonce.

Then during the PLUG.DJ era I believe you played her cover of Sweet Love, and that sealed the deal. For as messy as the plug era could be, it changed my perceptions of a lot of pop music,
Except for that K-Pop trash!
and hipped me to a lot of music I wouldn't otherwise listen to.
Except for that K-Pop trash and live Christina Aguilera songs.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I know Kelly Clarkson just popped out a kid and all, but I'm gonna need some news or something from her soon.

A while back, we heard she was recording material for both a pop album and a country album. Then I read something about her next CD being a mix of the two, which was slightly disheartening. Then everything was baby.

Touchdown

Banned

Oh, it has. It's a pale shadow of what it was. If it weren't, her performances thus far wouldn't have her lipping 90% of the hard stuff and the evidence of studio magic hoisting her across the difficult patches wouldn't be so apparent.

Now why ya gotta be a downer like that? The only real magic is how she still slays after all these years.

mariah-precious.gif

cory64

A perfect post &#128591;&#128591;&#128591; crystal castles aren't really discussed a lot here, and there hasn't been a lot of chatter of their fourth album. The transition from their first to second record was incredible; their third refined and focused on the sound they crafted in the second album.

Their second album is locked in my all-time top 10. It's everything.

Zutroy

Just caught up with Aguila's Popgaf listens. Don't have time for a full review, but basically I really liked The Velvet Rope, and thought Let Go was pretty dull.

Stand out tracks from each:

Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope
Velvet Rope
Got 'til it’s gone
Go Deep
Together Again
Every Time
Anything

Avril Lavigne - Let Go
Complicated
I’m With You

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
but basically I really liked The Velvet Rope, and thought Let Go was pretty dull.

Stand out tracks from each:

Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope
Velvet Rope
Got 'til it’s gone
Go Deep
Together Again
Every Time
Anything
I LOVE that everyone is digging Velvet Rope so much. Thank you, Aguila. Y'all really need to check out her other work pre-VR too.

I think my two favorite songs form Velvet Rope are "I Get Lonely" and "You," neither of which made your list. :(

Mumei

Also, can't you like just something a normal person amount without being a "stan" whatever? I just don't get this schizophrenic "best, most life changing thing ever/utter trash and possibly worse than cancer" barometer that seems to get used in here.

You needn't participate in the schizophrenia; I certainly don't. Even when I do remember to post.

Zutroy

I LOVE that everyone is digging Velvet Rope so much. Thank you, Aguila. Y'all really need to check out her other work pre-VR too.

I think my two favorite songs form Velvet Rope are "I Get Lonely" and "You," neither of which made your list. :(

There weren't really any tracks I particularly disliked from the album, and I always enjoy an interlude in an album! I did enjoy You quite a lot now that I listen to it again, but there are several times in that song I thought it sounded more like Michael than Janet!

The only songs I'd really heard of before from Janet were All for You and All Nite, so I'll definitely check out her back catalogue now when I get the chance.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I did enjoy You quite a lot now that I listen to it again, but there are several times in that song I thought it sounded more like Michael than Janet!
I totally I get the Michael comparison, although I actually don't think I've ever noticed it in You until right now because you've pointed it out. :p I totally hear him in the deeper parts though. There are some other songs (i.e. Nothing) that I think she sounds a lot like him at certain points.

Since you brought up All For You, I think that album is worth checking out as a whole. Trust A Try is on that album, and that actually may be my favorite Janet song.

Back when I was 19 (1995), I heard this song about a girl going through her menses, and didn't think very much of it. Her third single, "Like This and Like That" caught my ear and I found it usable. If I recall correctly, a good friend of mine came up to me one day raving about this CD he bought from this 14 year old who could sing her ass off. Two Prince albums had dropped the year prior with another one on the way, so I wasn't keeping abreast of what was slaying in music like I used to. Anyway, him being the stereotypical queen (for those days) lived for vocalists. So I knew for him to be going in the way he was, this "girl singing about her period" as I remembered her as, had to be about something. He either loaned me the CD or gave me a copy on tape (I forget the specifics) and I hunkered down and gave her a shot. (Previously he had gotten me into Rachelle Farrell and Angela Winbush, (and we both lived for "Lutha" so he had a pretty good track record as far as I was concerned.)) The first song was trash, the second was about her cramping, and I was here for neither. The third song came on and i was like.... Hey, I remember this one. The rest, as they say, was history. The album (sans those 2 shitty ones and one's remix) did indeed slay, and I used it often then, and sometimes now.

Ladies and germs. Monica.

ibxgM9Y4WlYivW.jpg

1. "Miss Thang"
2. "Don't Take It Personal (Just One of Dem Days)"
3. "Like This and Like That"
4. "Get Down"
5. "With You"
6. "Skate"
7. "Angel"
8. "Woman in Me" (Interlude)
9. "Tell Me If You Still Care"
10. "Let's Straighten It Out"
11. "Before You Walk Out of My Life"
12. "Now I'm Gone"
13. "Why I Love You So Much"
14. "Never Can Say Goodbye"
15. "Don't Take It Personal" (Remix)
16. "Forever Always"

By the time her second album came out, she like Janet got paid dust because "Ray of Light" was out, Prince had dropped 3 cd's of bootleg tracks and an acoustic album, and Brandy's "Never Say Never" were taking up all of my time and coins. Her titling her album after the Brandy song (which I hated) seemed off to me too. Alas... I lost track of Monica over the years.

2010's "Everything To Me" piqued my curiosity and caused me to peruse her discography to see what I'd missed (not much.) But there was a track or two that caught my ear.
Like this track from 2003, "Down 4 Whatever." I think I actually came across that track looking for a song of the same name that used to slay me, by a group called Nuttin Nyce (it still isn't on youtube!)

She even got the Whitney seal of approval that one time. I expected so much more from her!

Anyways kids, Monica - Miss Thang... Get into it!

I was gonna do two albums today but:
  • I don't think anyone is reading them.
  • It's almost time for Bey to slay me for 5 minutes before the shitty True Blood and even shittier Leftovers.

*kisses*

Touchdown

Banned
Back when I was 19 (1995), I heard this song about a girl going through her menses, and didn't think very much of it. Her third single, "Like This and Like That" caught my ear and I found it usable. If I recall correctly, a good friend of mine came up to me one day raving about this CD he bought from this 14 year old who could sing her ass off. Two Prince albums had dropped the year prior with another one on the way, so I wasn't keeping abreast of what was slaying in music like I used to. Anyway, him being the stereotypical queen (for those days) lived for vocalists. So I knew for him to be going in the way he was, this "girl singing about her period" as I remembered her as, had to be about something. He either loaned me the CD or gave me a copy on tape (I forget the specifics) and I hunkered down and gave her a shot. (Previously he had gotten me into Rachelle Farrell and Angela Winbush, (and we both lived for "Lutha" so he had a pretty good track record as far as I was concerned.)) The first song was trash, the second was about her cramping, and I was here for neither. The third song came on and i was like.... Hey, I remember this one. The rest, as they say, was history. The album (sans those 2 shitty ones and one's remix) did indeed slay, and I used it often then, and sometimes now.

Ladies and germs. Monica.

ibxgM9Y4WlYivW.jpg

1. "Miss Thang"
2. "Don't Take It Personal (Just One of Dem Days)"
3. "Like This and Like That"
4. "Get Down"
5. "With You"
6. "Skate"
7. "Angel"
8. "Woman in Me" (Interlude)
9. "Tell Me If You Still Care"
10. "Let's Straighten It Out"
11. "Before You Walk Out of My Life"
12. "Now I'm Gone"
13. "Why I Love You So Much"
14. "Never Can Say Goodbye"
15. "Don't Take It Personal" (Remix)
16. "Forever Always"

By the time her second album came out, she like Janet got paid dust because "Ray of Light" was out, Prince had dropped 3 cd's of bootleg tracks and an acoustic album, and Brandy's "Never Say Never" were taking up all of my time and coins. Her titling her album after the Brandy song (which I hated) seemed off to me too. Alas... I lost track of Monica over the years.

2010's "Everything To Me" piqued my curiosity and caused me to peruse her discography to see what I'd missed (not much.) But there was a track or two that caught my ear.
Like this track from 2003, "Down 4 Whatever." I think I actually came across that track looking for a song of the same name that used to slay me, by a group called Nuttin Nyce (it still isn't on youtube!)

She even got the Whitney seal of approval that one time. I expected so much more from her!

Anyways kids, Monica - Miss Thang... Get into it!

I was gonna do two albums today but:
  • I don't think anyone is reading them.
  • It's almost time for Bey to slay me for 5 minutes before the shitty True Blood and even shittier Leftovers.

*kisses*

Rob your taste is impeccable.

iXSf7aras9R03.gif

Get Me Bodied
Live
slays. Why can't your faves? The delivery of:
"Mission four
Got the vintage Rolls
Drop a
couple
hundreds
tell him
leave it at the door"

is everything.

& thanks Touchdown.

royalan

Lorde is quality, I love her record. Imagine if her and Lana got together to make a musical baby? Lawd...

I think it's maybe just a bit of a gag, but who knows. You guys are funny.

1A9yCSG.jpg

GAWD

This is really not that hard...

POST HOWEVER YOU DAMN WELL WANT

Believe it or not, there are regular posters in here who don't participate in the shade-speak. You'd know that if you checked this thread out even half as much as you claim to.

Stop throwing this tacky, subliminal shade everytime you come up in here, or you're gonna get dragged constantly.

For someone who whines constantly about how much they don't like the shade/dragging culture, you sure do a lot of it. Now you can be a bad bitch like the rest of us and own up to it, or you can keep doing what you're doing with these prepubescent, build-a-bear posts of yours.

But I can't not call this out.

iOqNJbjqvDv08.gif

Fey

Banned
personally i am done with these condescending posts "am i allowed to .,,,,..??" "idg why u guys...??" "i know this isn't popular and therefore u guys might not like it but......" you did it once, got an explanation from us, did it again, got an explanation again, and now continue to act brand new. we are not some elitist robots who will ignore you because u don't say sis excessively, exaggerate about artists you like, add t's unnecessarily to the end of your words, or add a shitty gif to the ends of your posts. perhaps fakegaf is your best bet.

iqqU3WqBr7kiQ.gif

GAWD

Believe it or not, there are regular posters in here who don't participate in the shade-speak. You'd know that if you checked this thread out even half as much as you claim to.

Stop throwing this tacky, subliminal shade everytime you come up in here, or you're gonna get dragged constantly.

For someone who whines constantly about how much they don't like the shade/dragging culture, you sure do a lot of it. Now you can be a bad bitch like the rest of us and own up to it, or you can keep doing what you're doing with these prepubescent, build-a-bear posts of yours.

iOqNJbjqvDv08.gif
iPhcesGfV5jV4.gif

personally i am done with these condescending posts "am i allowed to .,,,,..??" "idg why u guys...??" "i know this isn't popular and therefore u guys might not like it but......" you did it once, got an explanation from us, did it again, got an explanation again, and now continue to act brand new. we are not some elitist robots who will ignore you because u don't say sis excessively, exaggerate about artists you like, add t's unnecessarily to the end of your words, or add a shitty gif to the ends of your posts. perhaps fakegaf is your best bet.

iqqU3WqBr7kiQ.gif

iYOoQ4f01OasZ.gif

Oh hush, you.

You're another one of those "I hate PopGAF but damn if I ever stop posting in it" types.

Y'all think you're slick.

Lol. I don't hate popgaf in the least. This is the only thread I post in. Y'all are the only people I interact with outside of gaf. I did find it odd that y'all would rather talk about random untalented hews than folk with actual skill. But I guess we have Mumei and Leona for that. I've come to enjoy ya'll antics and there's no place I'd rather be.

I came for the shade and the gifs. I stayed for Rihanna and Beyonce.
and Soulscribe!

I wish I could quit you popgaf! <3

Mumei

Now why ya gotta be a downer like that? The only real magic is how she still slays after all these years.

mariah-precious.gif

I'm not a downer; I am honest!

Lol. I don't hate popgaf in the least. This is the only thread I post in. Y'all are the only people I interact with outside of gaf. I did find it odd that y'all would rather talk about random untalented hews than folk with actual skill. But I guess we have Mumei and Leona for that. I've come to enjoy ya'll antics and there's no place I'd rather be.

I came for the shade and the gifs. I stayed for Rihanna and Beyonce.
and Soulscribe!

I wish I could quit you popgaf! <3

Well, someone needs to have standards.

NinjaBoiX

GAWD

iOqNJbjqvDv08.gif
6ChKg9M.jpg

Chill, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom