• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen of Canadian Pop is releasing an album September 22!

tumblr_n936gfXMvg1qikfnmo1_1405986927_cover.jpg

Track List:
Portal
Running With The Boys
Up We Go
Same Sea
Speeding
Muscle Memory
Oil and Water
Slow Down
Meteorites
How We Do It
Don't Go Home Without Me
Child
Lucky Ones
From All Sides

cory64

I'm over Rather Be already, good thing Hideaway is perched to snatch its spins soon.

Hmm, maybe Jesus Ware would have broken into the US if US radio was like this 2 years ago.

Already Godels :(. It hasn't even been a month yet.

Lights is coming back!? Dope

Mess at me thinking that Lights was Ellie Golding back when she first debuted lol!

royalan

Man Ultraviolence has really stopped getting play recently. Kinda wished the album was more eclectic than it is. Bew.

SPEAKING OF

(and I'm surprised Cory hasn't commented on this)

I played a Lana mix at work today, and all the Ultraviolence tracks sounded like complete shit. Couldn't understand what she was singing at ALL. Just one long male turtle orgasm.

And what made it worse was that Ultraviolence (the track) came on, followed by Ride...and Ride sounded perfect. Full, crystal clear, epic.

Touchdown

Banned
SPEAKING OF

I played a Lana mix at work today, and all the Ultraviolence tracks sounded like complete shit. Couldn't understand what she was singing at ALL. Just one long male turtle orgasm.

And what made it worse was that Ultraviolence (the track) came on, followed by Ride...and Ride sounded perfect. Full, crystal clear, epic.

Not a turtle orgasm! NOOOOOOO

tumblr_m3d4weJD9S1r9a4ceo1_500.gif

It the tender age of 26 (younger than Mumei is now) a song by this woman by the name of Tweet was sweeping the land. The song was "Oops (Oh My)" and it was trash. Unmitigated garbage. Not even the genius to Timbaland and Missy could salvage it. Naturally, I wrote Tweet off as a no hit wonder and paid her no mind going forward.

Sometime later, I believe I was watching MTV cribs with Missy Elliot (I think it was cribs) anyway, halfway through the tour they happen across Tweet, and Missy asks her to sing a song. Tweet abliged and whipped out a convenient acoustic guitar (I've always been a sucker for a guitar player), laid it across her lap and begun to strum. Which song graced mine ears I do not recall (it was either "Smoking Cigarettes," or "Motel") nevertheless, I acquired the album soon thereafter. When I tell you that I loved that album... there are no words. Southern Hummingbird is/was/will forever be EVERYTHING.
Even with the 2 or 3 trash songs on it.
Before I started participating in popgaf here, my top 3 on last.fm was Prince (of course), Amy Winehouse, and Tweet.
ibcXyl4SSmQWZK.png

Don't sleep on Tweet young people, you'll be glad you didn't.

ifSChAz0ky6OV.jpg

1. "So Much to Say (Intro)"
2. "My Place #SLAYS"
3. "Smoking Cigarettes #SLAYS"
4. "Best Friend"
5. "Always Will" #SLAYS
6. "Boogie 2nite" #SLAYS
7. "Oops (Oh My)"
8. "Make Ur Move"
9. "Motel" #SLAYS
10. "Beautiful"
11. "Complain"
12. "Heaven" #SLAYS
13. "Call Me" #SLAYS
14. "Drunk"
15. "Southern Hummingbird (Outro)"

Bonu, from her equally as good sophomore album, "It's Me Again":
iNWgMWkV6CLlC.jpg

"Turn da Lights Off" #SLAYS
"Iceberg" #SLAYS
"Cab Ride"
"My Man" #SLAYS
"Small Change"
"Two of Us"
"We Don't Need No Water" #SLAYS
Bonus x 2:
ibqPAoPH6fh2Zu.jpg

"Enough" #SLAYS

------------------------------------------------
In 1993 my husband (and fellow Prince stan), Lenny Kravitz, released his best album. I remember sitting in my grannies house watching MTV in various states of arousal every time the "Are You Gonna Go My Way" video came on. Later that year found young Robido leaving the safety and security of my rural town in Texas and embarking on a new phase and journey in San Diego, CA. (I didn't like it BTW -- too many people) I don't recall when I got around to buying the cassette tape, but I did, and I recall myself on long trips on public transit getting my life. (It took so goddamn long to get anywhere in San Diego.)

Anywho, "Are You Gonna Go My Way" is the business. You would do well to indulge.

ibwEvvGqz4GvdU.jpg

"Are You Gonna Go My Way"
"Believe"
"Come On and Love Me" #FunkyAsHell
"Heaven Help"
"Just Be a Woman"
"Is There Any Love in Your Heart"
"Black Girl"
"My Love"
"Sugar" #EVERYTHING
"Sister" #YesGawd
"Eleutheria"

Bonus:
"I Belong To You"
"Fly Away"

Sorry for the longish posts.
ib1mfgoCgrRrKq.gif

Mumei

At the tender age of 26 (younger than Mumei is now)

Now bitch...

I haven't listened to her. If you had to pick one song for me to listen to as introduction, which one?

She sounds so relaxed after such a grueling set. Her legendary stamina <3

I love how she sings the song differently each time. She messed up the lyrics the night I saw her, and made up for it with some ridiculous vocal ornaments.

I think Get Me Bodied is my favorite Beyonce up-tempo.

Bonus~

Aguila

#ICONIC
SPEAKING OF

I understand her just fine. Did you illegally download a 128 kbps version? Has xtina done a number on your ears?

ybfokknjvz.gif

I love robs post! I'm like anticipating them now.

But Umpt! I knew Tweet was coming! I was staring at Spotify like, should I do it or wait for the "Artist Spotlight". I heard all the albums love all the songs so kudos for the recognition. She was so good, it saddens me that another diva has fallen to studio time politics. Remember her feature in Honey with Jessica Alba? Lol, she was hot back then.

Owwww this got me thinking of another diva who definitely has a catalog that has been slept on for years. I have a feeling she will pop up soon too.

By the way Touchdown, if Mariah decides to go on tour as you reported, DO NOT support her with your coins. I actually felt rage flowing through me when I decided to check out user reviews on her Ticketmaster page. She does not respect her fans, and it goes beyond the mere lack of singing you can see in most videos.

She averages two hours late, drinks on stage, spends more time on costume changes than actually performing...my already damaged opinion on her turned black when I read all the horror stories. Throw your coins at an artist who continues to put some effort in after multiple decades of hard work and doesn't decide to check out just because she can.

Such as Chanté Moore (already got my ticket to see her in NYC next January!)

Mumei

Maybe... Always Will... Don't go in expecting [V O C A L S] though.

Thanks! I like it, but only just. I don't know if it's because I'm just in the mood for [V O C A L S] and it'll grow on me.

oh edit: You still old ho!

Now how are you going to talk when you sit there two decades older than I am?

The reverb vs. echo debate in these videos is giving me LIFE

Sometimes there's even the side arguing for "pre-recorded track"!

EDIT: By the way Touchdown, if Mariah decides to go on tour, DO NOT support her with your coins. I actually felt rage flowing through me when I decided to check out user reviews on her Ticketmaster page. She does not respect her fans, and it goes beyond the mere lack of singing you can see in most videos.

I've read a few horror stories but that's D: worthy.

I love robs post! I'm like anticipating them now.

But Umpt! I knew Tweet was coming! I was staring at Spotify like, should I do it or wait for the "Artist Spotlight". I heard all the albums love all the songs so kudos for the recognition. She was so good, it saddens me that another diva has fallen to studio time politics. Remember her feature in Honey with Jessica Alba? Lol, she was hot back then.

Owwww this got me thinking of another diva who definitely has a catalog that has been slept on for years. I have a feeling she will pop up soon too.

I had a totally different girl in mind for today. I don't know what made me go with Tweet. But she is everything. I'm glad you enjoy these. I figure, I have nothing to contribute with regards to current popular music
(cuz it's trash)
unless it's Queens Bey and Rih, so I'll try to shine a light on shit that slayed when I was y'alls age. Lol.

SPEAKING OF

LOL, I love the added shade of having the turtle be male

(Ride is my favorite Lana song btw)

Leona sis, I have seen the light by chante Moore's incredible talent.

Which is why I don't understand, why she was so under rated next to Mariah? Imo, I feel like Chante has the superior whistle while Mariah has the better range but at the same time Chante is a solid singer. She rarely has slip ups and til this day, can maintain her vocals. I definitely have to go see her after my baptism from Beyoncé.

Touchdown

Banned
By the way Touchdown, if Mariah decides to go on tour as you reported, DO NOT support her with your coins. I actually felt rage flowing through me when I decided to check out user reviews on her Ticketmaster page. She does not respect her fans, and it goes beyond the mere lack of singing you can see in most videos.

She averages two hours late, drinks on stage, spends more time on costume changes than actually performing...my already damaged opinion on her turned black when I read all the horror stories. Throw your coins at an artist who continues to put some effort in after multiple decades of hard work and doesn't decide to check out just because she can.

Such as Chanté Moore (already got my ticket to see her in NYC next January!)

Fuck Chante Moore!
I've already been to one of Mimi's tours and had a great time!! The adventures of mimi tour in Albany New York at the pepsi arena. Sean Paul opened for her. 4 rows from the stage :D And we had a blast there. :p If she's coming to NY again OF COURSE I'm going to be buying tickets!!!!

Leona sis, I have seen the light by chante Moore's incredible talent.

Which is why I don't understand, why she was so under rated next to Mariah? Imo, I feel like Chante has the superior whistle while Mariah has the better range but at the same time Chante is a solid singer. She rarely has slip ups and til this day, can maintain her vocals. I definitely have to go see her after my baptism from Beyoncé.
The reason is simple: her discography is forgettable.

She's like pre-BEYONCÉ Beyoncé in that I only use her live because of the magic she is able to work with otherwise mediocre songs.

Now wait. In this case, I would have to be Patti seeing as how I'm younger!

6f80a8412f.png

I don't believe it. The onus is on you to prove you're not some shady octogenarian reminiscing over the days when he could catch Maria Callas in the latest whatever with the rest of the friends of Dorothy.
i3nB5aaW5DbNM.JPG

I c u.
(Natalia stole your swag.)

cory64

SPEAKING OF

Just popped the CD in to compare West Coast with my first edition iTunes copy.

While neither sounds particularly great, the CD version is audibly worse. Very flat.
The production on this album is way too intricate to get the Lotus-style bussy prolapse cranked to 11 treatment.

BTD and Paradise are of similar quality on paper but they also have a slicker production style so it works better.

Vitanimus

I'm very appreciative of Rob's posts and will make an effort to listen to them all when I return home

I find it's a bit worrying that a lot of my music library only really dates from maybe 2003 - now, with the exception of bjork so I'm probably not as musically adventurous as I'd like to be.

Mine dates from the 90s to now, but most of the 90s content is stuff I was raised listening to in the early 2000s (Pearl Jam, The Prodigy, Daft Punk, Bjork). Also that Lenny Kravitz album is one of my mother's faves, I don't think her soft spot for him ever died (same with Brad Pitt ddd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom