• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Partition

Banned
how sad the L A M B S their only defense is still Matthew's one annual Hannukah smash

mariahcarey4.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Y'all must have missed his whole "I can't get aids because I'm not a faggot" routine last night.
iV9QpwxlBA051.gif

Good riddance.

Erm what now?
I just assumed he got banned because of what he said in this thread during the whole thing and it was a perm because he'd been banned too many times

Ties

Banned
I can almost hear that goated echo now.

iAc8vs6JFOBQJ.gif
G O A T?

What the hell is Matthew then? The fucking frog prince? Hello? Am I still hearing that "shade" right? Science has not discovered the means to undergo time travel, so it is irrelevant to even bring about any of her past talent show routines because, as of now, she sounds like she is croaking out Nick Cannon's flaccid penis from her vocal chords. I will not have you shading Fashion Icon Rihanna Fenty like this when her collection of global hits and media relevance outdoes anything that Matthew has ever accomplished.

You
tumblr_mt4bv4VS8f1sv22i1o7_250.gif
of your deluded Matthew stan drivel.

Touchdown

Banned
G O A T?

What the hell is Matthew then? The fucking frog prince? Hello? Am I still hearing that "shade" right? Science has not discovered the means to undergo time travel, so it is irrelevant to even bring about any of her past talent show routines because, as of now, she sounds like she is croaking out Nick Cannon's flaccid penis from her vocal chords. I will not have you shading Fashion Icon Rihanna Fenty like this when her collection of global hits and media relevance outdoes anything that Matthew has ever accomplished.

You
tumblr_mt4bv4VS8f1sv22i1o7_250.gif
of your deluded Matthew stan drivel.

Did you take that as "shade"? Oops, I guess it was.

iUSpGUmdc4q9g.gif

you know something is amiss when your most iconic song is the one that needs to be played in heavy rotation once a year in order to remain remembered. at least the imagined relevance that comes with that song keeps her head in proportion to the rest of her body.

In all fairness, I don't think the identity of the song's vocalist as Mariah Carey matters much in the grand scheme of things, just as how nobody really knows who those people are singing all those other Christmas songs are unless they look it up. But she had success in an area where lots of others didn't and still haven't, look at all the tired old shite that came out last year and undoubtedly will come out this year too. It's an amazing achievement.

The song has become a part of the cultural consciousness. It doesn't 'need to be played in heavy rotation' at all because it has become so beloved.

As well as AIWFCIY, I think Mariah's version of 'O Holy Night' is the one most people are familiar with.

I concede that MIAMTEC is a horrendous flop, with manipulated vocals out the wazoo and a ton of shady lipsynching in live performances. Her best years were the 90s, aside from a temporary resurgence for the Emancipation of Mimi. Even then she couldn't dance and her music videos were horrendous. But that doesn't discount what she has done:
- 18 #1s
- Of these 18 #1s, 17 were written with her involvement, more than any other woman and making her the third most successful songwriter in history behind Paul McCartney and John Lennon
- 79 weeks at the top of the chart
- 200 million record sales (most of which are albums, not throwaway singles)
- Two-time winner of the Billboard Song of the Decade (One Sweet Day and We Belong Together), which is no small feat as it means that her songs were played more than any others, and there is no way that was solely due to record label payola which does have a limit
- In blending pop, R&B, jazz, soul and tons of other influences in the early 90s it could be argued that she's more responsible for the current state of pop music than anyone else, setting the stage for the popularity of Amy Winehouse and Adele (and earlier than that, Christina Aguilera before she made the wrong call with Bionic)
- The remix of Fantasy with Ol' Dirty Bastard kick-started the whole trend of collaboration between pop/R&B artists with rappers, way before Ashanti met Ja Rule or Bey met Jay-Z, which is another big part of modern pop music (would the Grammy Award for best Rap/Sung Collaboration exist without Mariah?). It's du jour right now but back in the mid-90s it was a massive surprise. We wouldn't have Dark Horse without Mariah. We also wouldn't have Crazy In Love, Drunk In Love etc. (idk, I'm not familiar with that stuff, if we count Rihanna as pop- I don't- then all of her collabs too I guess)
- Melisma. Jesus wept post-Mariah we can't go five tracks on every other female R&B album without a girl warbling her way through some breathy protracted mess of a syllable, and let's not even start on the Idols and X Factors
- Also Rihanna stans for her

Probably other stuff too but listing Mariah's achievements and influence on the modern state of music is tiring because she's done so much and I'm bored.

It's ridiculous to mock her impact and relevance to the modern state of music, as though she's some irrelevant heifer who will go out of this world as silently as she came into it.

[citation needed]

Touchdown

Banned
In all fairness, I don't think the identity of the song's vocalist as Mariah Carey matters much in the grand scheme of things, just as how nobody really knows who those people are singing all those other Christmas songs are unless they look it up. But she had success in an area where lots of others didn't and still haven't, look at all the tired old shite that came out last year and undoubtedly will come out this year too. It's an amazing achievement.

The song has become a part of the cultural consciousness. It doesn't 'need to be played in heavy rotation' at all because it has become so beloved.

As well as AIWFCIY, I think Mariah's version of 'O Holy Night' is the one most people are familiar with.

I concede that MIAMTEC is a horrendous flop, with manipulated vocals out the wazoo and a ton of shady lipsynching in live performances. Her best years were the 90s, aside from a temporary resurgence for the Emancipation of Mimi. Even then she couldn't dance and her music videos were horrendous. But that doesn't discount what she has done:
- 18 #1s
- Of these 18 #1s, 17 were written with her involvement, more than any other woman and making her the third most successful songwriter in history behind Paul McCartney and John Lennon
- 79 weeks at the top of the chart
- 200 million record sales (most of which are albums, not throwaway singles)
- Two-time winner of the Billboard Song of the Decade (One Sweet Day and We Belong Together), which is no small feat as it means that her songs were played more than any others, and there is no way that was solely due to record label payola which does have a limit
- In blending pop, R&B, jazz, soul and tons of other influences in the early 90s it could be argued that she's more responsible for the current state of pop music than anyone else, setting the stage for the popularity of Amy Winehouse and Adele (and earlier than that, Christina Aguilera before she made the wrong call with Bionic)
- The remix of Fantasy with Ol' Dirty Bastard kick-started the whole trend of collaboration between pop/R&B artists with rappers, way before Ashanti met Ja Rule or Bey met Jay-Z, which is another big part of modern pop music (would the Grammy Award for best Rap/Sung Collaboration exist without Mariah?). It's du jour right now but back in the mid-90s it was a massive surprise. We wouldn't have Dark Horse without Mariah. We also wouldn't have Crazy In Love, Drunk In Love etc. (idk, I'm not familiar with that stuff, if we count Rihanna as pop- I don't- then all of her collabs too I guess)
- Melisma. Jesus wept post-Mariah we can't go five tracks on every other female R&B album without a girl warbling her way through some breathy protracted mess of a syllable, and let's not even start on the Idols and X Factors
- Also Rihanna stans for her

Probably other stuff too but listing Mariah's achievements and influence on the modern state of music is tiring because she's done so much and I'm bored.

It's ridiculous to mock her impact and relevance to the modern state of music, as though she's some irrelevant heifer who will go out of this world as silently as she came into it.

[citation needed]

Let 'em know!!! <3

iQ2zmsgYFKOAr.gif

cory64

And no one outside of serious pop fandom is going to put two and two together and recognize her impact. She only matters on paper, and because of the high quality of her output save for an album here or there.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I didn't know anything about Marina Carey while I was an innocent child. But later when I started watching mtv I always thought she was like a reductive Whitney Houston.

I'll Be There for You/You're All I Need to Get By - April 25, 1995
Fantasy - September 12, 1995

cory64

These poor chiles not knowing who Mariah is. Were you born after the Willenium?
Man I remember when the ball dropped for 90, now it's 99, 10 years behind me.

My memory of Mariana:
Her Heartbreaker remix video with the camel slaying TRL
Her meltdown on TRL
Her MTV Cribs episode
Her comeback with WBT & EOM
then idk

Touchdown

Banned
And no one outside of serious pop fandom is going to put two and two together and recognize her impact. She only matters on paper, and because of the high quality of her output save for an album here or there.

Yeah no one. lol.... oh that reminds me! Everyone should check out Mariah receiving the world pop icon award at the world music awards coming to a tv station near you soon. :)

iXSf7aras9R03.gif

Man I remember when the ball dropped for 90, now it's 99, 10 years behind me.

Time flies when you're having fun.

ib0dGU52DrwRMB.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
It is curious how she has 18 #1s but people can only remember one

Sad that the goat that is the rhat has more memorable hits than Matthew

I remember being really little and my mom always singing "Always Be My Baby" to me. :p It was the first Mariah song I had ever heard (both from my mom and on the radio). I've been a dedicated fan ever since :3.

Then I heard Fantasy and I was like YAAAAAASSSS THIS WOMAN <3333.

I also love Heartbreaker I hope that's ok ;___;

ariana is such an appalling excuse for a pop artist, I can't take it anymore

she has no charisma

no performance ability

no musical vision

no hit album

no number 1 single

her only feature is having a slurred voice that is vaguely reminiscent of Mariah's

shitty marks across the board

why does she have stans

why is she decently successful

she needs to disappear. even selena and demi shit on her

i7P5XjyWgoNt2.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

she has no charisma

no performance ability

no musical vision

no hit album

no number 1 single

her only feature is having a slurred voice that is vaguely reminiscent of Mariah's

why does she have stans

i7P5XjyWgoNt2.gif

I was going to cosgin this then I realised I like Problem and Break Free
iPkuDazhu2FCa.gif

But you didn't lie, there is nothing remarkable about her at all other than her borrowed vocal technique. Selena does indeed take a shit on her, and every other disney star tbh

Peru

Ariana is awkward, but the thing is her album was great. It just was, and the kind of pop-record, sound-wise, we don't really get anymore. Put out more of that stuff and I couldn't care less about her celeb mishaps otherwise.

Oh, that's interesting. I've never heard that song before, and it was apparently quite successful. How bizarre. I still think that the movement became popular because of Mariah, even if MJB did it first, because Mariah popularised it as a pop star front and foremost, whilst All I Need was a hip-hop song for a hip-hop album which had a female feature. Your post was the first time I've ever seen that song mentioned on the subject of female/rap collaboration. Idk.
I've never actually listened to MJB before, maybe I'll do that.

Because most querls will stan anything with a vagina and a club banger.

I read something somewhere that said gays will stan for any dildo with a blonde wig and an electro beat. Maybe it was a homophobe, idk, it sounded accurate.

I haven't listened to Ariana Grande, aside from Problem, which was horrendous.

Like, that lyric video. Why couldn't she stop blinking? Is it supposed to look pretty/cute/appealing? Does she have a disorder? Are we supposed to feel sorry for her?

I'm going away for the week without my laptop so I kind of want to get Yours Truly on my iPod before I leave just to give her a shot in one of the evenings.

On the other hand, I could just try Lady Gaga and/or Katy Perry again.
Or I could try music that won't get me laughed at at summer school

royalan

she has no charisma

no performance ability

no musical vision

no hit album

no number 1 single

why does she have stans

i7P5XjyWgoNt2.gif

I...think I agree? Damn.

Koodo

Banned
Aside from Beyoncé, who only become a vocal Goddess in the latter half of the noughties, Ariana Grande is the only pop vocal powerhouse the industry has seen since Mariah and Whitney.

She should be praised just for that.

i7P5XjyWgoNt2.gif

Oh, that's interesting. I've never heard that song before, and it was apparently quite successful. How bizarre. I still think that the movement became popular because of Mariah, even if MJB did it first, because Mariah popularised it as a pop star front and foremost, whilst All I Need was a hip-hop song for a hip-hop album which had a female feature. Your post was the first time I've ever seen that song mentioned on the subject of female/rap collaboration. Idk.
I've never actually listened to MJB before, maybe I'll do that.
Better example. Total - Can't You See - December 18, 1994 And you should definitely listen to some MJB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom