• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very few female pop artists grab me. A lot of stuff recommended in here doesn't pull me in, but when something does, it usually is pretty remarkable. See FKA Twigs, iamamiwhoami, Sky Ferreira.

I don't get new music from this thread because very few people want something new, innovative and experimental. I enjoy timeless pop music, but I want something new as well. Some of you have the fan goggles melted onto your face.

I don't know, maybe have an open mind? Biggest problem in here tbh.
I have an open mind.

I also have open ears, though, and they were more stimulated by Ghost Stories than by LP1.

I fell asleep twice listening to Ghost Stories.

Also, it's especially funny that the three artists you like are all artists who have been talked about to death and have stans in here. You like them? Great. It's a not part of the problem "in here" if people don't.
This too. Most of this thread adores those artistés.

I'm still cleaning all the overexcited pre-cum from the walls. I'll send the bill later.

Nemesis_

dont try to act brand new. fku twigs is just the latest in this thread's obsession with these [ h e w s ] who's lack of singing talent and ~quirky~ production is somehow more remarkable than the last indie fad. she even has the non regulars in here stanning her oh-so-creative bjork-lite mumblings. yawn. maybe next week's soundcloud mystery girl will do it better.

ibpdU22MLmfqQb.gif

hot

not really, people are entitled to their own opinions. Just because they're tired of a certain trend or whatnot doesn't mean they have a closed mind. They're just tired of it, which is understandable.

royalan

Very few female pop artists grab me. A lot of stuff recommended in here doesn't pull me in, but when something does, it usually is pretty remarkable. See FKA Twigs, iamamiwhoami, Sky Ferreira.

I don't get new music from this thread because very few people want something new, innovative and experimental. I enjoy timeless pop music, but I want something new as well. Some of you have the fan goggles melted onto your face.

Literally nobody asked or cares about the bolded.

Why do so many new people popping into the thread have to frame their opinions as criticisms of PopGAF? We don't have to be talking about the music you want to hear to not have a problem.

You think our minds are closed? Open them. Post about the music you want. Maybe we'll be receptive to it. Maybe we won't. That's the nature of the beast.

Also, it's especially funny that the three artists you like are all artists who have been talked about to death and have stans in here. You like them? Great. It's a not part of the problem "in here" if people don't.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Roy has a point, all of these indie tarts are all starting to sound the same
this is the type of over-saturation that leads to people to crave good catchy pop
but unfortunately at this time they are only met with the option of stanning Ariana Grande (as seen by this thread and the GP)

ibqLXoaKmLyIJ.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC

Sis, they stan Alicia Homewrecker, The Horse, and Xtincta. Of course they would be voice queens.

i7P5XjyWgoNt2.gif

cory64

If you look at pop stars as a triangle of Creativity, Singing Ability, and Attractiveness only the Queen lands in the middle.

Rob, I never expected you to like this song. All the girls on it are white.
Oh, you really came that way?!?!?!

But because I don't bust my ass to get in here to tell everyone about the latest white girl on the scene who just so happens to have appropriated a black girls swag (aka YOU) and gets the tiniest bit of shine because of it, doesn't mean I dislike white singers. You knew you were wrong when you posted this disingenuous shit. I've praised not only Teena Marie, but I cried real tears when that heffa died. But let me indulge you for a minute and let's count the white girls Robido cuts for:
  1. Teena Marie
  2. Katy Perry
  3. Madonna
  4. Mariah Carey
    *cackle*
  5. Fergie
  6. Adele
  7. Bette Midler
  8. Celine Dion
  9. Cyndi Lauper
  10. Dolly Parton
  11. Duffy
  12. Florrie
  13. Feist
  14. Fiona Apple
  15. Stevie Nicks
  16. Heart
  17. Janis Joplin
  18. Mandy Moore
  19. Sarah McLachlan
  20. Sheryl Crow
  21. Tori Amos
and that's just off the top. Ask yourself, what do these goddesses have the assemblage of flops you stan for lack? What separates these girls from the Miley Cyrus', the Brooke Candy's, the Jessie J's and whoever it is that has you in a jungle fever this week. Dignity? Self-respect? Talent? I'm sure you'd know better than I. You say in a separate post that you want, "I WANT fierce, Bad Bitches who aren't afraid to growl, yell, belt, and throw some runs on a track. Who aren't afraid to take their heels and literally STOMP on the track. Give me drama Give me DIVA!" Yet every time... EVERY GODDAMN TIME say a.... BEYONCE gives you just that, then it's excuse after excuse after tomming ass excuse why Beyonce ain't the best. Oh, but "THE LEGEND" gets on a stage of 2 or 3 flops in some desert somewhere, or warbles "Candy Man" as some festival, you come in here stopping the presses because THIS HO is the pinnacle of artistic relevancy. THIS HO whose voice got more cracks than a 2 ton plumber is THE DIVA, THE DAWN, THE MOTHERFUCKING ANSWER TO WHAT GOD SOUNDS LIKE. Mmmkay Ms. Honey. You keep on trotting out Rihanna as your go to black girl when someone notices YOU only cut for white girls, and I'll keep seeing through that BULLSHIT.

Love You! XOXO

Add JoJo to that list.
Holy shit.

... I'm sure there are some white people Rob likes, though!
Hussy is on my tumblr enough clicking hearts
on white dick
to know better than that.

there's no problem in here. we've always had a large and varied mix of new and old music linked in this thread. everyone has an open mind - that's why everyone who is talking about how much they dislike "aka riggs" has actually listened to the music. it's just pop discussion, not some stan nonsense drama or ~fan goggles~

Ask yourself, what do these goddesses have the assemblage of flops you stan for lack? What separates these girls from the Miley Cyrus', the Brooke Candy's, the Jessie J's and whoever it is that has you in a jungle fever this week. Dignity? Self-respect? Talent?
Relevant to this discussion is the only part of that tragic Azealia Banks interview worth quoting (for those who didn't bother to give Vice your advertising coins):

“Just be yourself, that’s really what it is. I mean I get it: black women are the strongest, most confident women in the world. Of course you want to emulate us. I get that. But at the same time, listeners will appreciate it more in the long run if you are just yourself. Eminem did it. He didn’t have to make a mockery of anyone. Beastie Boys did it. They didn’t have to make a mockery of anyone. If you want to treat it as an art form, then really treat it as an art form. Don’t use it as a gateway into a culture that you want to be a part of. Black culture is fun to the rest of the world and they all want to be a part of that, but there are certain things that are sacred to us and certain things that you will never be fully accepted into. That’s just my take on it.”

"If you want to treat it as an art form, then really treat it as an art form."

Touchdown

Banned

But because I don't bust my ass to get in here to tell everyone about the latest white girl on the scene who just so happens to have appropriated a black girls swag (aka YOU) and gets the tiniest bit of shine because of it, doesn't mean I dislike white singers. You knew you were wrong when you posted this disingenuous shit. I've praised not only Teena Marie, but I cried real tears when that heffa died. But let me indulge you for a minute and let's count the white girls Robido cuts for:
  1. Teena Marie
  2. Katy Perry
  3. Madonna
  4. Mariah Carey
    *cackle*
  5. Fergie
  6. Adele
  7. Bette Midler
  8. Celine Dion
  9. Cyndi Lauper
  10. Dolly Parton
  11. Duffy
  12. Florrie
  13. Feist
  14. Fiona Apple
  15. Stevie Nicks
  16. Heart
  17. Janis Joplin
  18. Mandy Moore
  19. Sarah McLachlan
  20. Sheryl Crow
  21. Tori Amos
and that's just off the top. Ask yourself, what do these goddesses have the assemblage of flops you stan for lack? What separates these girls from the Miley Cyrus', the Brooke Candy's, the Jessie J's and whoever it is that has you in a jungle fever this week. Dignity? Self-respect? Talent? I'm sure you'd know better than I. You say in a separate post that you want, "I WANT fierce, Bad Bitches who aren't afraid to growl, yell, belt, and throw some runs on a track. Who aren't afraid to take their heels and literally STOMP on the track. Give me drama Give me DIVA!" Yet every time... EVERY GODDAMN TIME say a.... BEYONCE gives you just that, then it's excuse after excuse after tomming ass excuse why Beyonce ain't the best. Oh, but "THE LEGEND" gets on a stage of 2 or 3 flops in some desert somewhere, or warbles "Candy Man" as some festival, you come in here stopping the presses because THIS HO is the pinnacle of artistic relevancy. THIS HO whose voice got more cracks than a 2 ton plumber is THE DIVA, THE DAWN, THE MOTHERFUCKING ANSWER TO WHAT GOD SOUNDS LIKE. Mmmkay Ms. Honey. You keep on trotting out Rihanna as your go to black girl when someone notices YOU only cut for white girls, and I'll keep seeing through that BULLSHIT.

Love You! XOXO

Add JoJo to that list.

on white dick

Well gawDAMN.....

iEeixnkBzN8Ak.gif

royalan

1. Teena Marie
  2. Katy Perry
  3. Madonna
  4. Mariah Carey
    *cackle*
  5. Fergie
  6. Adele
  7. Bette Midler
  8. Celine Dion
  9. Cyndi Lauper
  10. Dolly Parton
  11. Duffy
  12. Florrie
  13. Feist
  14. Fiona Apple
  15. Stevie Nicks
  16. Heart
  17. Janis Joplin
  18. Mandy Moore
  19. Sarah McLachlan
  20. Sheryl Crow
  21. Tori Amos

Love You! XOXO

Add JoJo to that list.

on white dick

BITCH you didn't have to come for me like that. My comment wasn't even all that serious. ;____;

8rJ42zX.gif

Anyway, I DO stan black girls. I gave Azealia her shine because Heavy Metal and Reflective was actually good even AFTER i threw all that shade at her. I was also the ONLY person in here giving Tinashe promo when her FLAWLESS EP dropped. I have posted RECEIPTS on how Solange's EP was my most played ANYTHING on Spotify for the entire year of 2013. And where was you

WHERE WAS YOU

When I was going HAM for JunglePussy's new EP...WHICH IS STILL SLAYING ME!?

OMG

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS

THIS IS EVERYTHING I NEEDED RIGHT NOW.

THIS RATCHETNESS YES I LIIIIIIIVEEEE

OMG "FUCK TEXTING" IS EVERYTHING

CALL THAT NIGGA
CALL THAT NIGGA
FUCK THAT TEXTIN SHIT
IF A NIGGA DONT PICK UP THEN ITS THEM HOES HE WITH
GUESS I GOT TO GET WITH MY BITCHES AND HOP IN THE WHIP
RIDE AROUND SEE WHAT BITCH HOPPIN ON MY MAN DICK!

OMG I AM SLAIN

But yeah, I don't stan black chicks.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, you trot out this "Greatest 80s Hits...Plus Adele" list as some proof that you DON'T immediately throw shade at any white artist in a traditionally "black space" that I give any sort of praise to. Mmmmhmmm, I see you sis.

And better fucking believe I be on your Tumblr throwing likes. Every morning when I wake up and at night before I go to bed. I better be on my way back to the number 1 spot.

Nemesis_

IgGy Azalea to cameo in Fast & The Furious 7

Although production has already wrapped on the upcoming Fast & Furious 7, Skyrock.fm has learned that rapper Iggy Azalea has filmed a cameo for the James Wan-directed franchise entry. The role will mark Azalea's acting debut.

"Iggy Azaela, I just worked with her about two weeks ago," Vin Diesel told the outlet at the junket for this week's Guardians of the Galaxy. "We casted her in 'Fast & Furious 7'. She has a cameo in 'Fast & Furious 7'."

There's no word yet on who the artist might play, but she will join Diesel on-screen for the April 3, 2015 release, which also stars Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Tyrese Gibson, Tony Jaa, Kurt Russell, Nathalie Emmanuel, Djimon Hounsou, Lucas Black, John Brotherton, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster and the late Paul Walker.

hmm

iYWKhRxzYCV2S.gif

royalan

Rob coming for my edges reminded me.

Sistren, you all paid me dust the first time, but you really need to get into this EP. I haven't heard a female EP knock as hard as this. I mean, this is some straight, selling cassette tapes out the back of your car at the flea market Hip-Hop, but the beats are actually top-notch.

It is officially Royalan's Most-Played Anything so far this year:

OMG

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS

THIS IS EVERYTHING I NEEDED RIGHT NOW.

THIS RATCHETNESS YES I LIIIIIIIVEEEE

OMG "FUCK TEXTING" IS EVERYTHING

CALL THAT NIGGA
CALL THAT NIGGA
FUCK THAT TEXTIN SHIT
IF A NIGGA DONT PICK UP THEN ITS THEM HOES HE WITH
GUESS I GOT TO GET WITH MY BITCHES AND HOP IN THE WHIP
RIDE AROUND SEE WHAT BITCH HOPPIN ON MY MAN DICK!

OMG I AM SLAIN

This EP is really everything. Get into JunglePussy.

Tokubetsu

Rob coming for my edges reminded me.

Sistren, you all paid me dust the first time, but you really need to get into this EP. I haven't heard a female EP knock as hard as this. I mean, this is some straight, selling cassette tapes out the back of your car at the flea market Hip-Hop, but the beats are actually top-notch.

It is officially Royalan's Most-Played Anything so far this year:

This EP is really everything. Get into JunglePussy.

Pop Gaf wake up now

Partition

Banned
god what is wrong with some of you. popgaf continues to be disappointing.

lumping all black singers into one category? being ignorant about the great and innovative music that is being released right now? or perch for jessie j I guess

and Twigs isn't monotone, she can sing, very well actually. have a listen.

Anyway, I DO stan black girls. I gave Azealia her shine because Heavy Metal and Reflective was actually good even AFTER i threw all that shade at her. I was also the ONLY person in here giving Tinashe promo when her FLAWLESS EP dropped. I have posted RECEIPTS on how Solange's EP was my most played ANYTHING on Spotify for the entire year of 2013. And where was you

WHERE WAS YOU

When I was going HAM for JunglePussy's new EP...WHICH IS STILL SLAYING ME!?

But yeah, I don't stan black chicks.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, you trot out this "Greatest 80s Hits...Plus Adele" list as some proof that you DON'T immediately throw shade at any white artist in a traditionally "black space" that I give any sort of praise to. Mmmmhmmm, I see you sis.

And better fucking believe I be on your Tumblr throwing likes. Every morning when I wake up and at night before I go to bed. I better be on my way back to the number 1 spot.
Dear Miss,
Mentioning a colored girl once a fortnight means naught. You've posted this much
ikAUFSlLMnCPC.png
and all you've got for me is Tinashy, Lozange, and Fly Young Red in drag? You what you CAN do, is miss me with whatever you're dishing out. And what you WON'T do is say ROB DON'T LIKE WHITE BITCHES, cuz ROBS GOT RECIEPTS for all this shit right here.
JoJo released what... 8 songs in the past year.
Reciept:
i8k4Bp6JBECiU.png

#BlackSpaceDeezNuts!

Greatest 80's hits, heaux?:
ihYN2uNB3drFv.png

ibrLXJod9uz7br.png

iFmZKvqcQOPhA.png

Holla atcha boy when you stop checking for these bottom of the barrel, pretenders to the throne.

ibbuFPvEe6oPGE.png

Before you get excited, I have a plug-in that scrobbles youtube plays, thus counted a lot of PLUG.DJ sessions.
I paid actual coin
or amazon credit
for Your Botty Body tho.

Hey boo,
ibg3KJJBuErP0Q.png

Love you like XO! ;)

Please respond.

royalan

god what is wrong with some of you. popgaf continues to be disappointing.

lumping all black singers into one category? being ignorant about the great and innovative music that is being released right now? or perch for jessie j I guess

and Twigs isn't monotone, she can sing, very well actually. have a listen.

...aren't you the person who runs a fansite for an artist you now hate?

Did you make a bad deal with Papa Legba? Because that sounds like hell to me.

tumblr_mzzrq7Uowf1s4jr0no1_500.gif

Yall are CLAMORING for some rnb-ish music from girls with clear voices, but don't realize there are plenty of people who have that covered.

Let me list some names:

Solange
Paloma Faith
Laura Mvula
Kelis
Kimbra
Lulu James
Juce
Little Mix
Jessie Ware
Janelle Monae
Quadron
LIZ
Sevyn Streeter

Don't act like there's some drought and only thin voiced bitches are doing it. I'm aware that some of these girls have been mentioned, but not as much as I hear the bitching about the girls who 'can't sing'.

i7P5XjyWgoNt2.gif

royalan

Booty!

I'm thinking Kimbra's got Album of the Year on LOCK.

I was iffy about 90s Music. But all the tracks together? She clearly thinking in terms of album experience.

Booty!

I'm thinking Kimbra's got Album of the Year on LOCK.

I was iffy about 90s Music. But all the tracks together? She clearly thinking in terms of album experience.

IDK about the album anymore. I don't listen to any of the new tracks that much. They've all gone flat on me so quick, including the new one. I really don't t know what it is. She's taking the rnb/soul/funk sound from her album and pushing it even further; which is what I wanted, but something about it doesn't stick.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Yall are CLAMORING for some rnb-ish music from girls with clear voices, but don't realize there are plenty of people who have that covered.

Let me list some names:

Solange
Paloma Faith
Laura Mvula
Kelis
Kimbra
Lulu James
Juce
Little Mix
Jessie Ware
Janelle Monae
Quadron
LIZ
Sevyn Streeter

Don't act like there's some drought and only thin voiced bitches are doing it. I'm aware that some of these girls have been mentioned, but not as much as I hear the bitching about the girls who 'can't sing'.

i7P5XjyWgoNt2.gif

YAS sis.

Add this bitch to the list.

Wynter Gordon

royalan

IDK about the album anymore. I don't listen to any of the new tracks that much. They've all gone flat on me so quick, including the new one. I really don't t know what it is. She's taking the rnb/soul/funk sound from her album and pushing it even further; which is what I wanted, but something about it doesn't stick.

I'm actually loving the vibe she's going for. Very moody. The kind of music you listen to while getting high.

But yeah, there seems to be NO trace of Pop in any of the tracks.

EDIT: That Wynter Gordon track is straight hot booty garbage.

I really wanted to stan for Wynter, but I don't give automatic cred because someone goes acoustic. That track is weak and her voice doesn't fit the band.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

Let me list some names:

Paloma Faith
Laura Mvula
Kelis
Kimbra
Lulu James
Juce
Little Mix
Jessie Ware
Janelle Monae
Quadron
LIZ
Sevyn Streeter

i7P5XjyWgoNt2.gif

what a tragique list
cant imagine anything much more horrifying than except spending a period of my life living in Canada

iq2IjX1ZNSTkV.gif

xaosslug

dont try to act brand new. fku twigs is just the latest in this thread's obsession with these [ h e w s ] who's lack of singing talent and ~quirky~ production is somehow more remarkable than the last indie fad. she even has the non regulars in here stanning her oh-so-creative bjork-lite mumblings. yawn. maybe next week's soundcloud mystery girl will do it better.

the exposure, tho

0pxfdJm.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
cant imagine anything much more horrifying than except spending a period of my life living in Canada

iq2IjX1ZNSTkV.gif

WTFFFFF???
oh NO. You will not come for Canada Marius gorl.

Not when we have
- equal rights/gay marriage
- free healthcare
- polite citizens and a truly diverse melting pot of all races - seriously, just TRY getting stranded here, strangers will run up to you to help when you're in need like when I was stranded last winter with a dead car battery
- extreme beauty in nature and variety of weather
- low crime rates and strict gun laws keeping citizens safe

Keep the dragging to your flop music taste
canada11.gif
canada11.gif
canada11.gif

Get into True Romance, the best debut of 2013

Oh thanks for this :D I thought Charli was a newcomer, didn't know she had an album already? I'll be checking it out for sure
220px-Charli_XCX_-_True_Romance.png

a little snippet of Anaconda leaked and it's aweful.

jbuK950Novg2ta_e.jpg

Hi Touchdown!!! <3

Random compliment time:

1. I've always assumed it was you in your avatar TD? I love it tbh ;)

2. I love your dedicated Mariah stanning <3

3. So I've added MIAMTEC to my current rotation thanks to your suggestion and I'm enjoying it, for realsies ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom