• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Bang Bang is trash
so over that type of production style, so lackluster
Mumbles took it to another level, lyric video asap

The Flop

Banned
Enough about Bang Bang, this DK and Fifth Harmony remix is giving me life right now.

Get into it!

Queen_jocasta_twerking.gif

tumblr_m96netsOQi1rbodwto1_500.gif

royalan

EW9jIup.gif

Missy is my IDOL! I agree with this.

Anyone know why did Missy and Timbaland split ways? They were such a dynamic duo that had great eye for talent.
Missy and timberland split LITERALLY because he sucks now as a producer.

Like two years ago they were planning to release joint album. But when people found out timberland was producing everyone was like "ehhhh..." Then they released two tracks from their sessions and BOTH were panned.
They were INCREDIBLY wack.

Then Missy dogs an interview and admitted that everything was basically Tim's idea and the music they made for the album wasn't even her style. And that was the last we heard about it. Kiiiiiiii

royalan

Wow...ok, so. I think I'm in love with Bang Bang.

If anything, it makes me realize how much I would Stan for Jessie J if she had better songs. Because girl can SANG.

Like, I knew she was the stronger vocalist between her and Ariana, but I wasn't expecting a curb stomping. Her voice was fuller, bigger, FIERCER, and she STILL hits the highest note in the song!

And I love the chorus. Reminds me of a gospel song.

Give us more songs like this, Jessie. Because your vocals really are something else...

tumblr_n4qo3b1m8b1sn3e80o1_500.gif

The queen, tbqh. I want a new song already, the BLUE trailer was such a tease.

Ugh ikr.

We're gonna be getting news "soon" apparently. According to iambountyfan.

The queen of making low-budget videos look expensive! I can recall an embarrassing moment when the "Fountain" video came out earlier this year. I loved it and wanted to buy the song, so I went to her site to get it. I mistook her donation page for some Radiohead-esque thing where you set your own price for the track download, so I gave her a little something and was disappointed to not receive anything for it. I bought the track normally and didn't give it any more thought, but imagine my surprise when I received an e-mail from her label saying I'll get the album for free on release day because of that donation. I should donate again though, because I didn't really give a whole album's worth.

I did the exact same thing! I only donated a small amount though cause I was broke at the time. I purchased the song later when they made it available on their website.

I got the same email about getting the album for free too, which is pretty awesome. Our generosity paid off!
I'm for sure still gonna buy the physical edition as well.

If anything, it makes me realize how much I would Stan for Jessie J if she had better songs. Because girl can SANG.

Like, I knew she was the stronger vocalist between her and Ariana, but I wasn't expecting a curb stomping. Her voice was fuller, bigger, FIERCER, and she STILL hits the highest note in the song!

Give us more songs like this, Jessie. Because your vocals really are something else...

002.jpg

Ties

Banned

e6QDJSd.jpg

royalan

Wait

The first time I listened to Bang Bang it was on my phone speakers. I just put on my headphones...

This knocks.

The chorus is everything.

Jessie shuts it DOWN.

royalan

Fierce female vocals on a banging pop/urban track is exactly what I needed right now.

This is what's missing.

Tired of the sleepy indie pop that's been dominating all year.

ive heard what so-called trashlor stans call her best work and i was not only severely disappointed, disgusted, but i think i've contracted something too. she just might be the most talentless human in recorded history.

Wait

The first time I listened to Bang Bang it was on my phone speakers. I just put on my headphones...

This knocks.

The chorus is everything.

Jessie shuts it DOWN.

Fierce female vocals on a banging pop/urban track is exactly what I needed right now.

This is what's missing.

Tired of the sleepy indie pop that's been dominating all year.
idcw8SryBMl9a.gif

I can't believe I fell for your BS and listened to this song. I want my 3 minutes and 17 seconds back. The song, like your fave, is trash. I guess that's why you like it.

iN7EqlbKg3kJC.gif

If that was too personal, allow me to recant.

royalan

idcw8SryBMl9a.gif

I can't believe I fell for your BS and listened to this song. I want my 3 minutes and 17 seconds back. The song, like your fave, is trash. I guess that's why you like it.

iN7EqlbKg3kJC.gif

If that was too personal, allow me to recant.

Rob, I never expected you to like this song. All the girls on it are white.

I can't with roy rn. Bang Bang is just noise. There's nothing appealing about Jessie J and Ariana trying to out-shout sing each other, followed by a flaccid rap by Nicki, all tied together with a chorus that's just there. Literally everyone involved is capable of more, including the producers. Absolutely no one tried. The song is selling on star power alone.

SaintZ

Listening to Old Money is always an experience

iKioc4fhgc0PO.gif
Blue hydrangea, cold cash, divine,
Cashmere, cologne and white sunshine.
Red racing cars, Sunset and Vine,
The kids were young and pretty.

iKioc4fhgc0PO.gif

Bang Bang would be better if Jessie J didn't oversing as per. The acoustic version is better because she's more restrained.

Koodo

Banned
I can't with roy rn. Bang Bang is just noise. There's nothing appealing about Jessie J and Ariana trying to out-shout sing each other, followed by a flaccid rap by Nicki, all tied together with a chorus that's just there. Literally everyone involved is capable of more, including the producers. Absolutely no one tried. The song is selling on star power alone.
Just dreadful. No wonder it's a Jessie J song.

ibqLXoaKmLyIJ.gif

royalan

Correction: Only Ariana is shouting.

And fuck, I'd rather have some chicks screaming on a track these days. At least they're giving it some gusto. So done with this recent trend of vocalists half-assed crooning on these tracks. Not putting in any effort to sound dynamic and exciting, and yet still can't stay on-key in a live performance.

I WANT fierce, Bad Bitches who aren't afraid to growl, yell, belt, and throw some runs on a track. Who aren't afraid to take their heels and literally STOMP on the track. Give me drama Give me DIVA!

Jessie did the damn thing. And you will just deal until the next trollop with a guitar and an 808 comes along and releases a toilet-water EP with a bunch of over-filtered, monotone tracks that everyone confuses for being "deep" and "emotional."

Correction: Only Ariana is shouting.

And fuck, I'd rather have some chicks screaming on a track these days. At least they're giving it some gusto. So done with this recent trend of vocalists half-assed crooning on these tracks. Not putting in any effort to sound dynamic and exciting, and yet still can't stay on-key in a live performance.

I WANT fierce, Bad Bitches who aren't afraid to growl, yell, belt, and throw some runs on a track. Who aren't afraid to take their heels and literally STOMP on the track. Give me drama Give me DIVA!

Jessie did the damn thing. And you will just deal until the next trollop with a guitar and an 808 comes along and releases a toilet-water EP with a bunch of over-filtered, monotone tracks that everyone confuses for being "deep" and "emotional."

god, yes. this post is everything. when a popstar can really SING >>>>>>>>

Mumei

The real question is when Reigning Queen of Pop [citation needed] Legendtina Maria Nina Pinta Santamaria Desnudate Goduilera will be releasing her long-awaited follow up to Back to Basics. True Music Lovers are perched for the upcoming paradigm shift in pop music, culture, and civilization itself. Slay me mami, ain't no other ma'am buuuuut JEEEWW.

'scribe. 'scribe.

You can stop trying to top Tittytina Mammarylera now.It's just not going to happen.

YASSSSSSS! Hill-Hill betta GAZE at Tittytina Mammarylera's glorious bust!

<3

Rob, I never expected you to like this song. All the girls on it are white.

Holy shit.

... I'm sure there are some white people Rob likes, though!

Oh, and he's right about the song. I think you need to listen to Patti, Gladys, and Dionne again, this time on HBO~

dont try to act brand new. fku twigs is just the latest in this thread's obsession with these [ h e w s ] who's lack of singing talent and ~quirky~ production is somehow more remarkable than the last indie fad. she even has the non regulars in here stanning her oh-so-creative bjork-lite mumblings. yawn. maybe next week's soundcloud mystery girl will do it better.

So now soft-voiced indie girls shouldn't exist anymore? A #RealMusicLovers tii.

i7P5XjyWgoNt2.gif
Soft voices are fine. Janet and Sade were super expressive without the need to belt and strain.

It's this new trend of overproduced, over-manipulated "vocals" by girls who can't emote worth a damn mumbling over a bare, melody-starved GarageBand loop that's grating on me. They "sing" like they're above singing, but put a live mic in front of them and...man, prepare your ears for the bleeding.

I can't even step into the R&B thread anymore. 90% of those sad recommendations would have been characterized as ambient electronica ten years ago.

royalan

So now soft-voiced indie girls shouldn't exist anymore? A #RealMusicLovers tii.

i7P5XjyWgoNt2.gif

It's not that.

It's just that there are SO MANY of them right now, and none of them are really doing anything special.

Whoiamdngilbvkjsd;oi is a snore. And all of her songs sound the same.

I can't even TELL Tinashe and Jene Aiko apart anymore.

Banks hooked me at first but now all of her shit is starting to sound one-note too.

FKA Twigs has a decent voice, but her production is that EXACT SAME Dark-Urban-Electiric shit that Banks does.

Foxes is a COMPLETE ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

The La Roux album is good, I guess. But again it's monotonous. I want to take a nap halfway through it.

I could go on.

The Indie Pop scene is just a monotonous porridge right now. Don't get me wrong, none of it is really bad but nobody seems to even be TRYING to stand out from the pack, and EVERYONE seems content to keep churning out faux-personal lyrics set to dreamy-electic-pop-with-a-touch-of-Urban production.

I like Keisza, and that's about it. And really the only reason I may like her is because hers is the only music I can hear and KNOW who it is I'm listening to.

It's this new trend of overproduced, over-manipulated "vocals" by girls who can't emote worth a damn mumbling over a bare, melody-starved GarageBand loop that's grating on me. They "sing" like they're above singing, but put a live mic in front of them and...man, prepare your ears for the bleeding.

BINGO

cory64

Ariana might not be the best singer in the world but at least she's pushing the conversation back towards vocals like no newcomer since The Legend has.

Koodo

Banned
Twigs has more emotion in her voice than any quiche tart stained for in here with the exception of vocal powerhouses Beyoncé and Ariana. And since she's a professional dancer, her performances are better than anything your faves have or could ever.

i7P5XjyWgoNt2.gif

Speaking of FKA Twigs, her next single/video is for Pendulum. Yassss, one of my favorite songs on the album.

ad29bc2e.jpg
I can't decided between Pendulum and Lights On as my favourite. The last section of Pendulum is Eid.

dont try to act brand new. fku twigs is just the latest in this thread's obsession with these [ h e w s ] who's lack of singing talent and ~quirky~ production is somehow more remarkable than the last indie fad. she even has the non regulars in here stanning her oh-so-creative bjork-lite mumblings. yawn. maybe next week's soundcloud mystery girl will do it better.

Soft voices are fine. Janet and Sade were super expressive without the need to belt and strain.

I can't even step into the R&B thread anymore. 90% of those sad recommendations would have been characterized as ambient electronica ten years ago.

Very few female pop artists grab me. A lot of stuff recommended in here doesn't pull me in, but when something does, it usually is pretty remarkable. See FKA Twigs, iamamiwhoami, Sky Ferreira.

I don't get new music from this thread because very few people want something new, innovative and experimental. I enjoy timeless pop music, but I want something new as well. Some of you have the fan goggles melted onto your face.

I don't know, maybe have an open mind? Biggest problem in here tbh.

I can't decided between Pendulum and Lights On as my favourite. The last section of Pendulum is Eid.

Pendulum sounds a little different live. As well as Give Up, which is a lot more powerful live. But I love the studio versions too.

Mumei

I haven't actually heard many of them live, but it doesn't surprise me.

Ariana might not be the best singer in the world but at least she's pushing the conversation back towards vocals like no newcomer since The Legend has.

I will give her this. If only she were as good as her stans want her to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom