• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ties

Banned
Ariana's feature is still #1 on iTunes.
You see, I might not like Ariana but at least she is still relevant sales-wise. Matthew can't say the same thing considering the sales of Me… I Am Matthew the Irrelevant Dumptruck.

But hey, at least Matthew got a smash thread dedicated in his honor this week:
D6NnbPI.png

Touchdown

Banned
not all that weight dragging it down to the last post smh

ibcZGy8GGU7xHp.gif

Relegated to the bottom of the page like the trash it is.

did you miss

what else is there left to say

ibnjJac4dMSq2D.gif

I saw that biatch, but that's called a bad era, not a career. Let me not even start on one of your faves. I didn't know KitKat stans were thick in the head like their fave. I know you're young and too busy cleaning off with tissues after you watch your Katy Perry video, but you do realize no one will be on top forever right? As for a talentless hack like Katy, it's only a matter of time before she is not #1 anymore, which happens to every single artist ever. It's a fact. And when that happens, what does she have to fall back on? She has a basic, horrendous voice, no Grammys, no songs that will stand the test of time due to her 10 year old target audience lyrics, and soon to be sagging tits that people will move on from.

ibbu7yG9N3WFXB.gif

At the end of the day, Mariah has sold more, been #1 more, acclaimed more, and is still in the industry 25 years later.Lemme repeat that in case you've forgotten it already - At the end of the day, Mariah has sold more, been #1 more, acclaimed more, and is still in the industry 25 years later. And to all getting ready to moan about legacy being brought up like you are fantasizing about taking a d up your a, at the end of the day when an artist is not on top anymore which will happen to your current faves too, what does she have to be remembered for? A young girls first concert they joke about and a whipped cream bra. While your fave was putting out a cringeworthy homophobic song to try to get an ounce of celebrity status, my fave was shitting on careers as usual at the top of the charts telling people to Touch her Goddess body.

iHEZfFk6CPmUj.gif

Stop being pressed that people care more about Mariah's legacy. No one is into your Good Samaritan dumb hag faves "what about those who help world hunger in Africa?" Cuz the girl you stan for is probably going to dress up like a starving African child at her next award show performance anyways. So get out of here with that shiz

ib2HOPvuOpQIXh.gif

Dragging Mariah is like dragging Madonna. You're already wrong before you start, because you're comparing her with people who won't be around to release ten albums, let alone the nearly twenty that Mariah has.

The pop machine is so stacked against older women anyway that it's not worth evaluating her album sales as if she'll be at risk of having her livelihood taken from her. Unlike the increasingly desperate Ariana, clumsily running from feature to feature for fear of being forgotten overnight, Mariah can make it through the rain of 100 more failed albums.

I have more to say on this, but it's obvious that you gerLs lack the attention span to consider the complex realities of the music industry.

Ties

Banned
Dragging Mariah is like dragging Madonna.
Madonna sold 1.8 million units of her album MDNA worldwide in 2012
Source:
http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en...r-album-mdna-worldwide-in-2012/#ixzz38zaDhLun

In its debut week it sold:
"MDNA" sold 359,000 copies according to Nielsen SoundScan, and is Madonna's fifth straight studio album to debut at No. 1
http://www.billboard.com/biz/articl...1-on-billboard-200-lionel-richie-bows-at-no-2

Let's take a look at Matthew's latest release:
Mariah Carey collects her 17th top 10 album on the Billboard 200 chart as "Me. I Am Mariah … The Elusive Chanteuse" enters at No. 3 with 58,000 sold in the week ending June 1 (according to Nielsen SoundScan).
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6106522/mariah-carey-elusive-chanteuse-album-sales

Not even close to the same artist. Matthew is not Madonnallah Akbar and that's clear if you look at the quality of their body of work.

cory64

Let's not blame the state of the music industry for Marian's delusions that she doesn't have to put in work to be successful anymore. Madonna's work ethic has never faltered and she knows what she needs to do just to stay in the conversation. I'm insulted that Mariah treated her era this way.

Touchdown

Banned
Source:
http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en...r-album-mdna-worldwide-in-2012/#ixzz38zaDhLun

In its debut week it sold:

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articl...1-on-billboard-200-lionel-richie-bows-at-no-2

Let's take a look at Matthew's latest release:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6106522/mariah-carey-elusive-chanteuse-album-sales

Not even close to the same artist. Matthew is not Madonnallah Akbar and that's clear if you look at the quality of their body of work.

It's true they're different. Madonna is the biggest selling female artist of all time, and Mariah is the best selling female artist of all time. Also Mariah can sing, and Madonna well .. can't. :/ But I do admit she can put on a good show.

Partition

Banned
you know a "legend" is finished when some infant nickelodeon copycat is running circles around her career rn
thing.gif

and don't come for Katy, that is just another artist getting close to dismantling all of moo's records
thing.gif

Touchdown

Banned
you know a "legend" is finished when some infant nickelodeon copycat is running circles around her career rn
thing.gif

and don't come for Katy, that is just another artist getting close to dismantling all of moo's records
thing.gif

The one thing I do thank Katy for is stopping Thicke's "Blurred Lines" mess from overtaking Mimi's record for most consecutive weeks at number one a while back. So I do have a tiny special place in my heart for ha still.

cory64

I don't think I had ever heard One Sweet Day before I sat down and listened to Daydream... like ever.
But hold onto that record I guess

Aguila

#ICONIC
Dragging Mariah is like dragging Madonna. You're already wrong before you start, because you're comparing her with people who won't be around to release ten albums, let alone the nearly twenty that Mariah has.

The pop machine is so stacked against older women anyway that it's not worth evaluating her album sales as if she'll be at risk of having her livelihood taken from her. Unlike the increasingly desperate Ariana, clumsily running from feature to feature for fear of being forgotten overnight, Mariah can make it through the rain of 100 more failed albums.

I have more to say on this, but it's obvious that you gerLs lack the attention span to consider the complex realities of the music industry.

The simple reality is that Mariah can't keep doing the same shit she's been doing to STAY relevant. She chucks out flop promo singles hoping she can work the charts like she used to and she doesn't try to keep up with modern music/talent anymore like Madonna. She's festering like an old bloated pimple under LAYERS of photoshopped makeup. It's disgusting watching the egotistical mess not even try to modernize or be authentic.

Partition

Banned
I don't think I had ever heard One Sweet Day before I sat down and listened to Daydream... like ever.
But hold onto that record I guess

I don't even think I can name five moo hits that I've actually heard playing somewhere. Madonna on the other hand, a real ICON, I hear everywhere still.

When you think about it, moo has had no real impact, outside the few last receipts that her dwindling herd of lambs still clench to. A forgotten tale of yesteryear. A true struggle considering "how big" she was back then.

Touchdown

Banned
Which decade? Sis it's the 10s, records always start over at the beginning of the decade, not rolling.

The '90s were a decade where she had the song of the decade - One Sweet Day. In the '00s she had song of the decade - We Belong Together. Her '10s song of the decade is coming still. ;)

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Matthew like Janet sprung when America was struggling with balancing urban music on the charts and therefore radio inflated their songs
to the top, but in reality as seen by today most of their songs where non-events

ibqLXoaKmLyIJ.gif

Partition

Banned
Was moo and her label bribing radio stations with payola to play this T R A S H? how in the world does this song hold the record for #1 most consecutive weeks?

I never thought I'd say this, but Blurred Lines was snubbed! smh

royalan

Matthew like Janet sprung when America was struggling with balancing urban music on the charts and therefore radio inflated their songs
to the top, but in reality as seen by today most of their songs where non-events

ibqLXoaKmLyIJ.gif

What is this? I've seen several people say this but it never makes sense to me.

Pop wasn't as big a presence in the US back then. Or wasn't the beast it is today.

So when people say urban back then needed to be balanced... Balanced with what exactly?

Touchdown

Banned
You would think Mariah has a hit album at the moment judging by the amount of energy and time you all are giving her. Ha impact is undeniable.

ibbxsRfh2xCwWC.gif

edit: And yes you all BETTER be giving the queen more youtube views learning up on pop music royalty. One Sweet Day slays and was made for the already slayed and you all will deal.

Mumei

I just youtubed One Sweet Dream. It's the first time I've ever heard that song. Song of the 90's? Bye.

*day. hew cares

Get into the acapella track~

ibqLXoaKmLyIJ.gif

By what "non-event" standard does an artist have three songs debut at number one, and a fourth at number two?

Fey

Banned
I didn't know KitKat stans were thick in the head like their fave.

If you cannot tell the difference between mean-spirited and not, stick to throwing shade at pop stars and not other posters.

No need to insult me. :/

Natalie said:
As for a talentless hack like Katy, it's only a matter of time before she is not #1 anymore, which happens to every single artist ever. It's a fact. And when that happens, what does she have to fall back on? She has a basic, horrendous voice, no Grammys, no songs that will stand the test of time due to her 10 year old target audience lyrics, and soon to be sagging tits that people will move on from.

Gurl @ you being afraid to bring up my fave whose career is far more comparable to Mariah's, and instead bringing up KATY'S. Is that the only way you can defend that fat fuck? By praying that the future of Katy's career doesn't work out? SAD.
ahh.gif

And not only that, but in the 5 minutes I spent looking things up while Mariah was hopefully on the treadmill, I found that Katy has 6 ww smashes on the All Time Singles Charts to Mariah's [T H R E E] and not only that but Katy's highest one is higher than Mariah's too.
ahh.gif
No wonder you're mad about Katy's "shitty voice" breathing life into songs that have already done better globally than yours. Plus, Katy's shitty cheap California Dreams has already outgrossed every single poor excuse of a tour Mariah took part in. PATHETIC.
ahh.gif

Now this part I don't understand:

No one is into your Good Samaritan dumb hag faves "what about those who help world hunger in Africa?" Cuz the girl you stan for is probably going to dress up like a starving African child at her next award show performance anyways. So get out of here with that shiz

because apart from admitting that my "hag" fave will still be performing at award shows in the future while your blob never will ever again, it sounds like you're downplaying charity and those who help with the serious issues that are happening currently in Africa. Forget about stan wars, Touchdown, but that's kinda disgusting. I'm sorry my faves are trying to abolish world hunger while yours is causing it, I guess. :/

... for a post as big as it was, it didn't really have much. NOT your post, like your fave, being 99% fat.
ahh.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Wait, that Hilary Duff video has nearly 6M views already?
I'm impressed that people still give a shit considering she's been completely out the public eye for so long and the song isn't anything special

Mumei

Fey, do you have anything more substantive than, "She is or has been fat at some point in her life," and "She was less successful with her biggest singles worldwide than she was in the United States"?

It seems a rather weak argument, considering that a) being fat is not a moral failing, does not make you bad person, does not make you weak, does not make you unlikable, and does not make you failure, and b) chart performance of singles internationally are only one possible measure of global success; one might also use singles sales or album sales, where Mariah does perfectly respectably at ~50-something million single sales (in an era before digital sales, mind) and around 147 million album sales. I'd also note that "being less successful than Madonna" is hardly a good barometer for career success, else everyone would be a flop.

cory64

By what "non-event" standard does an artist have three songs debut at number one, and a fourth at number two?
You mean during the period when labels could withhold the single for sale until it gained some radio airplay to get an instant high debut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom