• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Banned
I never listened much to Sade, let me give ha a try.

ib2fmkP2pOFmRm.gif

Good evening ladies and gents. In 2002 Sade dropped a bomb on me. I'd always liked Sade coming up, but I felt it was more for grown folks. Well, I was grown in 2002 (26, younger than Mumei is now, I believe) and Love Deluxe slayed me like few before it. I think you all know Sade slays, it's not a secret. I've you haven't heard it (wtf is wrong with you?) Give her a spin and get your life.

Most of the bonus tracks are LIVE so you can experience how unbelievable tight her band is. Get into it chirrens.
iZ64bRCXkVBXT.jpg

"No Ordinary Love"
"Feel No Pain"
"I Couldn't Love You More"
"Like a Tattoo"
"Kiss of Life"
"Cherish the Day"
"Pearls"
"Bullet Proof Soul"
"Mermaid"

Bonus:
"Smooth Operator"
"Your Love Is King"
"Is It a Crime"
"The Sweetest Taboo"
"Jezebel"
"Love Is Stronger Than Pride"
"Nothing Can Come Between Us"
"King of Sorrow"
Somebody Already Broke My Heart
-----------------------------------------
I, like most of America, paid Seal's 2nd self titled release dust when it came out. It wasn't until "Kiss From A Rose" was included with the new Batman movie, did anyone pay it any attention. Instead of copping the soundtrack (because there is only one Batman soundtrack worth your time) I got the album instead. I was not expecting to be slayed, but slayed I was. This is a pretty damn good CD. Give it a go.

I never gave Seal another chance after this, I'm probably missing out.
iYq5cYJlTS1sP.jpg

"Bring It On"
"Prayer for the Dying"
"Dreaming in Metaphors"
"Don't Cry"
"Fast Changes"
"Kiss from a Rose"
"People Asking Why"
"Newborn Friend"
"If I Could" (duet with Joni Mitchell)
"I'm Alive"
"Bring It On" (Reprise)
------------------------------------------
Zhane popped on my radar with the infectious single "Hey Mr DJ." I didn't get interested in the album til one day while watching The Real World: San Fransisco, Pedro Zamora (R.I.P. I cried soooo hard when he died at the end of the season.) met him a boo and they played "Sending My Love" while they went on a date. At the end of that episode, they listed the songs, and I copped it shortly thereafter.

Anyway, the album slays. Especially the back half, starting with "Love Me Today." If you like vocal harmonies, you'll [L O V E] Zhane.

Sidenote: If for a reason doesn't give you the feels, you're dead inside.

Pronounced Jah-Nay should have been titled Pronounced Jah-Slay. lol.
isNyFrRQ9BejC.jpg

"Hey Mr. D.J."
"Intro (Interlude)"
"Vibe"
"Sending My Love"
"Sweet Taste of Love"
"Changes"
"You're Sorry Now"
"Love Me Today"
"Off My Mind"
"La, La, La"
"Groove Thang"
"For a Reason"
"Hey Mr. D.J. (Remix)"

Bonus:
"Shame"
"Crush"
"Confusion"
------------------------------------------
A hip hop album kids! In 1990 I wasn't much into hip hop. I wouldn't really start liking it until The Chronic/Doggystyle/Born To Die records came out. My mom, however, was and brought "Sex Packets" home one day and started playing it and I thought it was pretty dope. Bop after bop after bop, I was like.... okay, there might be something to this rap stuff after all.

I do believe this is the first rap album I ever loved. Although it might be a tie with Bytchez With Problems (female "gansta" rap duo. mom introduced also.) debut (only?) album.
(Royalan Get into this and this *cackle* and this)

Back to the main point. Digital Underground slays your rap faves and you should give em a go. The back half of this album, from The Danger Zone is everything, get your lives.
ibnJ5mGpNozaVv.jpg

"The Humpty Dance"
"The Way We Swing"
"Rhymin' on the Funk"
"The New Jazz (One)"
"Underwater Rimes (Remix)"
"Gutfest '89 (Edit)"
"The Danger Zone"
"Freaks of the Industry"
"Doowutchyalike"
"Packet Prelude"
"Sex Packets"
"Street Scene"
"Packet Man"
"Packet Reprise"

Bonus:
"Same Song"
"Kiss You Back"

********FLAWLESS!!!!

Three of my faves on the list tonight. Sade, Seal and ZHANE! These sisters totally slay, harmonies was always in point as well. As always Rob, this is another good drop. #Life

cory64

Yaaaaas fulminate ha Mimi
Damn, 2001 was a lot longer ago than it feels like. Wasn't this right around the time of The Meltdown?

Grizzo

POPGaf! May I ask you what's your favorite "summery" album of all-time? The one that reminds you of good times, carelessness, warm weather and sweat dripping all over your body?

Mine is Nelly Furtado's Loose. Nelly + Timbaland made for one hell of a combination in summer 2006.

513EplXJlaL._SY300_.jpg

Such a fantastic album that I keep coming back to every summer (well, in other seasons too, but especially during summer)

I mean look at this flawless string of amazing singles :

The beat of Promiscuous still slays to this day. Plus I love the back and forth exchange between Nelly and Timbo.

nel7daxt4.png

No Hay Igual is hot. It's kind of a reggaeton one. It's got that hot summer vibe written all over it.

You can't deny the power of Maneater. It has all the ingredients of a classic pop song, in my opinion.

What can be said about Say It Right and its dream-like features? The instrumental, Nelly's voice, the lyrics... everything about this is so haunting.

I think All Good Thinks (Come To An End) is my favorite song from the album. It was co-written by Chris Martin from Coldplay, and it shows. Sad but lovely.

In God's Hands is more of a throwback to her "Woah Nelly!" days. A simple and understated ballad.

nel6grz6n.jpg

Do It was the last single of the album. It's a cool song, perfect for when you're dressing up for a wild night out. The remix with Missy Elliott is my favorite version of the song.

There are also so many other fantastic songs such as Afraid, Showtime (another fav of mine) and Wait For You. It's one of those albums where I can listen to everything and don't skip a single song on it (even the Juanes duet).

Well, in the end she still managed to sell 8 million copies of it, which, coming after the flop that was her second album Folklore (in the US at least), was no small feat. Nonetheless, this album was plagued with controversies such as Timbaland stealing beats for Do It or accusation of Nelly "selling out", when really, she always had a fond taste for R&B, starting with her remix of Missy Elliott's Get Ur Freak On or her feature on The Roots' Sacrifice).

God, I love Nelly Furtado. Her last album was good, it's a shame it flopped like it did. Hope she's gonna come back someday.

Latch

Nicki has a terrible ear and she stays picking horrible choices to start off her eras

see:

Massive Attack

Roman In Moscow, Stupid Hoe

Pills N Potions, Anaconda

Is no one gonna intervene and tell her to stop fucking herself over like this?

tumblr_mzhboqZCh91qevo2jo8_250.gif

Nemesis_

I feel like if nobody or any higher power has intervened and stopped Azealia Banks from fucking herself over that no other artist has any chance.

ibwtSgN1jjDjBA.gif

Good morning my bb sistren!!! <3

Happy Vancouver Pride Weekend!!! :D

POPGaf! May I ask you what's your favorite "summery" album of all-time? The one that reminds you of good times, carelessness, warm weather and sweat dripping all over your body?

Mine is Nelly Furtado's Loose. Nelly + Timbaland made for one hell of a combination in summer 2006.
Yaaaaaas stan the Canadian princezzzzzz <3. Promiscuous is still one of my big jams :D

cory64

Rihanna has a release in September!!!!

Ul34nos.jpg

judging by her hair I think the promos for this were shot at the same time as the female one, back in 2012 &#128128;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom