• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aguila

#ICONIC
So did any of you flops listen to Speak Now???

Oh yeah.

GncOXX1.png

lhlGdr9.png

The standout tracks for me were Mine and Enchanted, Enchanted being my favorite. I really love the chorus and the buildup to it.

Outside of those two songs, I think the only other memorable song for me was Mean, but I didn't really like it. I didn't like the production for most of the songs; I think this is obviously due to it mainly being a country album. It also took some willpower to sit through the longer songs. There were some really predictable, bland, and cheesy lyrics throughout (what is it with her and months that end in -er).

I really wanted some harder-hitting songs with more varied production which I guess we got with Red. (I vastly prefer Red).

I Am Sasha Fierce is Beyonce's worst album and is single-handedly superior to any of Taylor Swift's two-dimensional ouput, so take a seat.

And yes I'm a fan of Speak Now :p

I could see you arguing this if it were any other Beyoncé album. But IASF is just so dull and a lot of it doesn't even come off naturally. She does the sexy, edgy diva thing better on her self titled, and the classy ballad singer thing better on 4. She didn't progress at all with that album. It's dire. I hate it.

I could see you arguing this if it were any other Beyoncé album. But IASF is just so dull and a lot of it doesn't even come off naturally. She does the sexy, edgy diva thing better on her self titled, and the classy ballad singer thing better on 4. She didn't progress at all with that album. It's dire. I hate it.
Double albums suck. Only one half is ever good.

Or neither in IASF's case

tumblr_inline_moyd1zId7R1qz4rgp.gif

To the credit of Sasha Farce, it has Sweet Dreams, which is one of my top five Bey songs. Absolutely magical. Such a shame it had to be attached to a sub-par album and concept, but oh well. Also, Poison was definitely robbed.

Meanwhile, for Taylord, my holy trinity of her songs is Enchanted, Back to December and Haunted, so I absolutely love Speak Now. Red is definitely stronger lyrically and probably generally, but there's something captivating about Speak Now. Idk. I'm probably in the right mindset for it all to still connect.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
To the credit of Sasha Farce, it has Sweet Dreams, which is one of my top five Bey songs. Absolutely magical. Such a shame it had to be attached to a sub-par album and concept, but oh well. Also, Poison was definitely robbed.

Meanwhile, for Taylord, my holy trinity of her songs is Enchanted, Back to December and Haunted, so I absolutely love Speak Now. Red is definitely stronger lyrically and probably generally, but there's something captivating about Speak Now. Idk. I'm probably in the right mindset for it all to still connect.

yes, sweet dreams shits

Vazduh

I also love that song.

Unrelated to Beyonce, but it seems that Danity Kane are probably done.

A Danity Kane recording sesh erupted in violence Monday ... and they actually needed a first aid kit.

We're told bandmates Dawn Richard and Aubrey O'Day got physical during a disagreement at an L.A. studio on Monday, resulting in Dawn slugging Aubrey in the head with a closed fist.

DK's third member, Shannon Bex, was also there and tried unsuccessfully to break up the fight.

This isn't the first time DK's had issues ... the original five members disbanded in 2009, with four of them reuniting last year. Aundrea Fimbres quickly dropped out, leaving the remaining three.

Aubrey filed a battery report. Cops are investigating.

European Royalty Inna has announced, via her Instagram, she is releasing an EP titled Summer Days soon. She posted the picture of the cover, which looks great. The EP is produced by her long term collaborators Play & Win.

Finally, I'm getting my summer playlist, just as summer is ending.

The EP cover is nice.

Let's hope that whatever's on that EP is better than the first two singles.

royalan

DANITY KANE

MKS

I need you BOTH to GET IT THE FUCK TOGETHER.

I'm perplexed right now. I was sad when I realized that MKS was in trouble, but I consoled myself with the knowledge of a new Danity Kane album. Between MKS and Danity Kane--Both flawless Urban-Pop girl groups--I thought I was going to get SOMETHING hot and fly for the clubs this year.

But BOTH groups are fucking it up? And in the SAME damn way!?!?

Ladies, BOTH of your comebacks are critically anticipated. People are CHECKING for you. Get over yourselves and your petty squabbles long enough to put out albums and GET THIS MONEY.

#iCAN'T

Ladies, take a note from the legendary Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez, when questioned about TLC's public feuding and whether or not the group would break up:

"I have never, ever said that I would leave this group. I just want to reiterate that...besides, even if we couldn't stand each other, staying together is a good business move."

Translation: DON'T FUCK UP THE MONEY

royalan

I know I missed the Duffy stanning from last week, but I just wanted to chime in about Rockferry slaying all your faves, especially because Duffy has recently been seen inside of a recording studio:

cPvAEEz.jpg

Hopefully she gets her shit together, too. Because Rockferry was a stunning album. The follow-up? Not so much.

MKS haven't had any infighting, because otherwise the fansites would've imploded with tears and frustration.

It's all record-label fuckery. They said they had the album ready last September, but then we get Tweets like this from two months ago, so someone high up is probably desperate for some SUGABABES REVIVAL BIG HIT, and keeps sending them back into the studio.

I keep reading interviews from way back when they're totally certain 'the second single'll be out by December (2013), the album by Q2 (2014)'. Makes me sad.

The harmonies on Flatline make me cry.

EDIT: NO, this Siobhan interview from last August
Was there a point when you thought the single wouldn’t come out at all?
No. I knew it would come out, but when you’re signed to a major label you’re tied to their release structure which can be frustrating, but we trust them and we deal with the creative side of things and know they’ll take care of the rest.
Is there still time for someone – maybe a songwriter or producer reading this – to send you a ‘Push The Button: Part 2’?
Honestly, we don’t need it. The album’s done, and it’s perfect.
Last question from Twitter: “When’s the album out?”
Very early next year. Second single, then bang into the album.
:(

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
ibqPzfqRS1cCA2.gif

moving swiftly on

i thought you might all like to know that i gave the link to PopGAF Radio to my housemate and she absolutely loves it

Oh yeah.

GncOXX1.png

lhlGdr9.png

The standout tracks for me were Mine and Enchanted, Enchanted being my favorite. I really love the chorus and the buildup to it.

Outside of those two songs, I think the only other memorable song for me was Mean, but I didn't really like it. I didn't like the production for most of the songs; I think this is obviously due to it mainly being a country album. It also took some willpower to sit through the longer songs. There were some really predictable, bland, and cheesy lyrics throughout (what is it with her and months that end in -er).

I really wanted some harder-hitting songs with more varied production which I guess we got with Red. (I vastly prefer Red).

I agree that Mine and Enchanted are two of the best songs on there, but I think they're all cute. As a whole, the album is bop-inducing (personal stanning aside) and just generally enjoyable.

I also really like Haunted. I remember when it was on True Blood (lol) and got really excited. It's the kind of song I wouldn't normally expect from Taylor. The low point of the album for me is probably The Story of Us. I always skip it.

I also agree that I like Red more

royalan

The Sasha Fierce tracks are nice enough.

Single Ladies
Diva
Video Phone
Beautiful Nightmare
EGO (It's too bigggg, it won't fiiitt...)

Are all great tracks, and Beyonce at her best. Too bad the overall album is poor.

I Am.. Sasha Fierce is a great album and Beyonce's second best album after self-titled. I won't stand for its dragging.

Werk. To be honest even though I think the craftsmanship on IASF isn't as strong as her other albums, I still seek it out eternally more than Dangerously In Love and even more than B'Day. As far as what gets the most listens from me, here's how they rank:

1) 4 (I listen to everything but Best Thing I Never Had, Rather Die Young and I Was Here)
2) Self-Titled (Pretty Hurts, Drunk In Love, Blow, Partition, Jealous, Grown Woman)
3) I Am... Sasha Fierce (Hello, Single Ladies, Disappear, Sweet Dreams, Ego)
4) B'Day (Suga Mama, Resentment)
5) Dangerously In Love (Baby Boy)

Pretty much her music has been getting consistently better over time, unlike most pop girls whose album qualities have wavered pretty regularly.

royalan

Werk. To be honest even though I think the craftsmanship on IASF isn't as strong as her other albums, I still seek it out eternally more than Dangerously In Love and even more than B'Day. As far as what gets the most listens from me, here's how they rank:

1) 4
2) Self-Titled
3) I Am... Sasha Fierce
4) B'Day
5) Dangerously In Love

Pretty much her music has been getting consistently better over time, unlike most pop girls whose album qualities have wavered pretty regularly.

I don't know if Beyonce's music is getting better or if it's just getting safer. She's getting more rooted in the style that she dug for herself. But that's just my opinion.

To me, B'Day remains Beyonce's best album. It was adventurous (doesn't seem like it now, but "Irreplaceable" was a very different song for her at the time), incredibly fun, and her vocals were at their most untouchable in terms of her just letting lose. Not to mention the sheer NUMBER of club bangers on that album...

But her debut holds a special place in my heart. Next to "Why Don't You Love Me?" it has my favorite Beyonce song...:)

I also really like Haunted. I remember when it was on True Blood (lol) and got really excited. It's the kind of song I wouldn't normally expect from Taylor.

Haunted is perfection.

You and I walk a fragile line
I have known it all this time
but I never thought I'd live to see it break
It's getting dark and it's all too quiet
And I can't trust anything now
And it's coming over you like it's all a big mistake

The other girls aren't doing it, lbr.

I don't know if Beyonce's music is getting better or if it's just getting safer. She's getting more rooted in the style that she dug for herself. But that's just my opinion.

To me, B'Day remains Beyonce's best album. It was adventurous (doesn't seem like it now, but "Irreplaceable" was a very different song for her at the time), incredibly fun, and her vocals were at their most untouchable in terms of her just letting lose. Not to mention the sheer NUMBER of club bangers on that album...

But her debut holds a special place in my heart. Next to "Why Don't You Love Me?" it has my favorite Beyonce song...:)

She's been definitively in the R&B genre since the very start, and that's probably why you don't feel her music is dynamic enough. She hasn't tried to be a jack of all trades type (like some pop trollops who end up a master of none) and has committed to a delivery style and musicality that's evolved over the years in an organic way. If anything the styles of her albums have been in line with the evolution of R&B at the same time. Dangerously In Love came out around the time when R&B had caribbean/dancehall and latin inspired production style, and B'Day was obviously inspired by The Neptunes' productions style as well as the R&B-pop fusions that were happening in the club scene. I Am came out around the time when power ballads were all over radio and R&B was smack dab in the middle of it, and BEYONCE follows that "stream-of-consciousness" style of R&B delivery that people like Frank Ocean vitalized. They've all been pretty in line with the genre's subtle changes, with the exception of 4, which to me is a unique case. That's Beyonce being in the studio singing about what she wanted to sing about, and while the influences are definitely there it still feels like it has the most heart. That's why 4 is a really special album for me, as a fan.

ibvxhn7hm54MWh.gif

ed2305b7.png

Btw, if anyone remembers Tiaan who slayed lives with 'Devil's Touch' earlier this year, this is her new song, Clean.

Also, for the Kimbra fans in the audience, The Golden Echo is available for streaming on the Australian iTunes Store, and so the standard edition is now all over the Internet.

EDIT: From the instrumental snippet alone I can tell Ella Henderson is coming to slay for a second consecutive round with Glow.

i kinda wish katy said "fuck it" kept it for herself because she wouldn't need to hijack the style of iconic films to make it somewhat appealing

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
of all the things you could say about BEYONCÉ (no hits, too mid-tempo) i don't see how 'too safe' is one of them

i mean there's a couple of 'safe' songs (pretty hurts, xo, jealous) but most of this stuff is kind of a curveball from beyonce

especially after the 'i love jesus and my husband' theme from 4

cory64

now niece we all know 4 is about her REAL man and not her husband. The camel couldn't have possibly inspired the catharsis of Love On Top.

as is SELF-TITLED. IASF was probably about Jay because it's a lesser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom