• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

All I see is a bunch of reviewers who got caught up in the zeigeist of the album's release, tbh.

ibb7RcTIgxfIm0.gif

yet another reason why none should pay attention to metacritic with a medium so subjective and no control for, as you said, the zeitgeist or launch hype

ibpsSfG9t1MPbb.gif

I can't at the double standards in that Beyonce Vanguard Award Thread. Maybe if Beyonce had a GIANT THROBBING COCK between her thighs people would think she deserves an accolade because otherwise there's no way she can inspire or enlighten an audience with no GIANT COCK in her pants. It's too bad "this lady" has a cavern in her crotch because otherwise SO MANY MORE PEOPLE would give "this lady" a chance and think she's on an adjacent caliber with JUSTIN TROUSERSNAKE or U2 FRONTMAN BONER.

Mau ®

If a divorce between Jay-Z and Bey does happen inmediately after the tour is done, then the VMA's will be Bey's first public appearance.

And she'll be getting that Vnaguard award and most likely deliver a fucking great performance.

The news will be all over it and love it every second. A woman coming out "triumphant" out of a nightmarish marriage.

The timing. This woman is a flawless strategist.

Mau ®;124523744 said:
If a divorce between Jay-Z and Bey does happen inmediately after the tour is done, then the VMA's will be Bey's first public appearance.

And she'll be getting that Vnaguard award and most likely deliver a fucking great performance.

The news will be all over it and love it every second. A woman coming out "triumphant" out of a nightmarish marriage.

The G.O.A.T

I will be losing ALL my shit that night. lol

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I know I've said it a few times but I still can't deal with how hard bring the noize punches . It still knocks me on my ass every time

Zutroy

waiT, The Saturdays' music videos are surprisingly entertaining

And they have a Greatest Hits out on Monday, featuring all their B-sides

I love me some girl group B-sides

Hmm

(also, that Whinnie Williams chick is releasing her first EP on Jesus Ware Day, I'm assuming there'll be some iTunes presence soon)

The GH has 39 tracks, and so many of them are excellent!

Even in the UK, although well known they never got the same recognition as other girl bands. As I was listening to some of the tracks, it dawned on me that it might be because so much of their discography leans towards dance pop than mainstream pop.

Mau ®;124535987 said:
Ariana's video for Break Free is coming August 15th.
Wasn't it supposed to come yesterday?

Anyway, the 15th is an messy day to release a video (Friday). Why not wait until the 18th (Monday)? She was also going to release a promo single on the 18th but moved it to the 12th. This is all so strange. I wonder what she's trying to avoid.

Styles

Anyway, the 15th is an messy day to release a video (Friday). Why not wait until the 18th (Monday)? She was also going to release a promo single on the 18th but moved it to the 12th. This is all so strange. I wonder what she's trying to avoid.

OMG, you've been demoted to Junior status?

iqpyQZeim4SwX.gif

And the fear is real for Mariana.

Mau ®;124523744 said:

That would be perfect.

Except the tour isn't over until September 13.

Well isn't Taylord doing something on the 18th?

Mumei

We've been through this before.

The one good thing I can say about Beyonce is that she can SELL "Fierce."

But she can't sell me on a ballad. She's too much of a perfectionist.

What does this mean? How is perfection a bad thing on a ballad?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i get what the good sis means. i think sometimes, especially with ballads, emoting is important. i guess what roy is trying to say is that she thinks beyonce is too 'technically perfect' at the expense of the grit of emotion. which i think is a fair thing to say about her older ballads but just shows a lack of familiarity with BEYONCÉ. she emotes to hell and back on the ballads on that alber. Heaven, XO, Jealous, she channels her heart on all of them.

i mean she even lets her voice crack on XO

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
looks great. i think rihanna would be a great fit for a career as a musician. she's got the high fashion bit down already. anyone have any clue whether she has any plans to start a new career?

i get what the good sis means. i think sometimes, especially with ballads, emoting is important. i guess what roy is trying to say is that she thinks beyonce is too 'technically perfect' at the expense of the grit of emotion. which i think is a fair thing to say about her older ballads but just shows a lack of familiarity with BEYONCÉ. she emotes to hell and back on the ballads on that alber. Heaven, XO, Jealous, she channels her heart on all of them.

If Christina could do, vocally, what Beyonce can, you'd best believe he'd have a different fault for Beyonce. I think Bey got him for his milk money when he was a wee lass.

Mumei

I feel like you can be technically perfect and emote at the same time, though. This is perfect, and well-emoted, after all.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I feel like you can be technically perfect and emote at the same time, though. This is perfect, and well-emoted, after all.
You can be, but I think that you can't emote if you concentrate too much on the technical aspects

Thankfully BEYONCÉ demonstrates that bey doesn't have to worry about that any more

Mumei

You can be, but I think that you can't emote if you concentrate too much on the technical aspects

Thankfully BEYONCÉ demonstrates that bey doesn't have to worry about that any more

I wonder how that dichotomy got started in the first place, where people thought you had to either be a "technical" singer or an "emotive" singer, and that being better at one necessarily meant giving up on the other. I'm sure it's been around longer than I'm aware. You see it on talent shows a lot - it's especially odd when a technically solid singer gets tagged with the "emotive" label and their pure singing ability is never commented on, while an inexpressive singer with comparable (or even less) technical facility is referred to as the "technical" singer.

I wonder how that dichotomy got started in the first place, where people thought you had to either be a "technical" singer or an "emotive" singer, and that being better at one necessarily meant giving up on the other. I'm sure it's been around longer than I'm aware. You see it on talent shows a lot - it's especially odd when a technically solid singer gets tagged with the "emotive" label and their pure singing ability is never commented on, while an inexpressive singer with comparable (or even less) technical facility is referred to as the "technical" singer.

My favorite was when James Durbin on American Idol sang Without You by Mariah Carey and totally butchered it and the judges called it "emotionally perfect" :|.

I tend to sometimes get lost in it all when I'm singing live and therefore might slip on technique sometimes.. I think it adds flavor. But if you want to be singing for years, you still need to try and remember your fundamentals! o_o

Styles

Top Selling Female Albums of 2014

1. Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence (755,000)
2. Shakira - Shakira (563,000)
3. Miranda Lambert - Platinum (402,000)
4. Namie Amuro - Ballada (377,000)
5. Iggy Azalea - The New Classic (340,000)
6. Indila - Mini World (224,000)
7. Sia - 1000 Forms of Fear (181,000)
8. Kylie Minogue - Kiss Me Once (176,000)
9. Mariah Carey - Elusive Chanteuse (171,000)
10. Lindsey Stirling - Stirling (153,000

Such dire times.

ibsHSgnTpCARiC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom