• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitanimus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

large.gif

this is offensive

iujlrGJ9bXzSb.gif

cory64

Not a song specifying a healthy hip-waist ratio being replaced by one that is ambiguous in its proportional preference. A mess.

I TOOK THE STARS FROM MY EYES, AND THEN I MADE A MAP
AND KNEW THAT SOMEHOW I COULD FIND MY WAY BACK
THEN I HEARD YOUR HEART BEATING, YOU WERE IN THE DARKNESS TOO
SO I STAYED IN THE DARKNESS WITH YOU

THE STARS, THE MOON, THEY HAVE ALL BEEN BLOWN OUT
YOU LEFT ME IN THE DARK
NO DAWN, NO DAY, I'M ALWAYS IN THIS TWILIGHT
IN THE SHADOW OF YOUR HEEEEEEEEEEEART

tumblr_inline_n8oh2nh84g1qi0m8v.gif

Florence please come back to slay us all soon :(

Zeliard

Did you all know that Mumei is deeply bigoted? I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but you should see the things sis says in IRC. Terrible, terrible stuff. I try to hold him back but he's just unrelenting.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
They were actually really good live, I saw them last year. Very energetic and most of their hits were retooled with new production to be much more modern. I was legitimately impressed, because we just bought tickets thinking it would be a fun yet embarrassing night out since they were so cheap 😌

Noooooo
I tried donwloading their album for a listen and couldn't make it past two tracks
Maybe I'll just try their Greatest Hits as apparently they're all remasters

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I was really drunk so perhaps I was a bit biased in my enjoyment

iU78rguaHPvfk.gif

I think someone being drunk at an Aqua show goes without saying
i5YBFusJuwWrN.gif

Oooh, I'm going to Bestival this year! Don't know whether any of UK popgaf are going?
Discolusre, Paloma Faith, Basement Jaxx, London Grammar, Major Lazer, Sam Smith, Clean Bandit, SBTRKT, La Roux, MNEK, Sophie Ellis Bextor, Outkast. It's like a hews hew of the UK pop scene

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Did you all know that Mumei is deeply bigoted? I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but you should see the things sis says in IRC. Terrible, terrible stuff. I try to hold him back but he's just unrelenting.
Spill the tea.

Ayo, I heard you're riding with the same tall, tall tale
Telling them you made some
Saying you're grinding but you ain't going nowhere
Why you procrastinate girl
You got a lot, but you just waste all yours and
They'll forget your name soon
And won't nobody be to blame but yourself yeah

ibvxhn7hm54MWh.gif

Still the best thing she's ever done.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Ayo, I heard you're riding with the same tall, tall tale
Telling them you made some
Saying you're grinding but you ain't going nowhere
Why you procrastinate girl
You got a lot, but you just waste all yours and
They'll forget your name soon
And won't nobody be to blame but yourself yeah

ibvxhn7hm54MWh.gif

Still the best thing she's ever done.

the absolute prophetic self-clocking

and yes of course

Vazduh

So there is this really talented kpop group called Spica and I know a lot of yous are not here for kpop but they just released their music video for their American debut called I DID IT which means it's in English.

The video is not much but the song is cute.

Man... if BoA, Se7en and Wonder Girls weren't able to crack the US territory, then nobody will.

The song is cute, though, it's just that for something that was co-written by Oligee (Carly Rae Jesus, Bonnie McKee etc.) it sounds too K-pop-ish, if it makes any sense. It would do well in South Korea for sure, but I don't see it making any splash in the States.

But the no-budget video?

Burn it with fire.

rKeSXO4.gif

RubyFaith

Man... if BoA, Se7en and Wonder Girls weren't able to crack the US territory, then nobody will.

The song is cute, though, it's just that for something that was co-written by Oligee (Carly Rae Jesus, Bonnie McKee etc.) it sounds too K-pop-ish, if it makes any sense. It would do well in South Korea for sure, but I don't see it making any splash in the States.

But the no-budget video?

Burn it with fire.

rKeSXO4.gif

They should have gone with their Pain Killer or Russian Roulette route.
:[

Vazduh

They should have gone with their Pain Killer or Russian Roulette route.
:[

Pain Killer would have been a better choice, I agree. Btw, I'm curious about their US plans. How did they even decide to release a song in English?

I remember when JQT signed a contract with a major label and then disbanded before they were able to release an EP. Wonder Girls disbanded soon after they flopped in the States. BoA and Se7en spent a lot of time in the States, learned to speak English fluently (just like Wonder Girls), and even with all the money thrown at them, they weren't able to crack the US market.

I think that most of those K-pop acts should try debuting in Europe first, it would be a safer bet. The US market is tough to crack for the UK acts, let alone Asian, which is sad, but it's just the way it is.

RubyFaith

Pain Killer would have been a better choice, I agree. Btw, I'm curious about their US plans. How did they even decide to release a song in English?

I remember when JQT signed a contract with a major label and then disbanded before they were able to release an EP. Wonder Girls disbanded soon after they flopped in the States. BoA and Se7en spent a lot of time in the States, learned to speak English fluently (just like Wonder Girls), and even with all the money thrown at them, they weren't able to crack the US market.

I think that most of those K-pop acts should try debuting in Europe first, it would be a safer bet. The US market is tough to crack for the UK acts, let alone Asian, which is sad, but it's just the way it is.

The majority of Americans still think all Asian people are Chinese. Kpop will never be respected over here and it'll just be another weird hobby like anime.

Poor Wonder Girls, they technically haven't disbanded yet but they might as well just pass the torch over to miss A.

Vazduh

The majority of Americans still think all Asian people are Chinese. Kpop will never be respected over here and it'll just be another weird hobby like anime.

True, most people cannot differentiate between Koreans, Chinese or Japanese people, so that's one of the reasons why K-pop will never be huge in the States.

I forgot to mention 2NE1 earlier, btw. I think that they were the only ones that could have made a major splash outside of Korea because of their distinct Western appeal - their attitude, clothes, and the songs they released were almost tailor made for the States. I wonder what exactly happened that the will.i.am-produced English album was shelved.
It was probably shit, wasn't it?

RubyFaith

True, most people cannot differentiate between Koreans, Chinese or Japanese people, so that's one of the reasons why K-pop will never be huge in the States.

I forgot to mention 2NE1 earlier, btw. I think that they were the only ones that could have made a major splash outside of Korea because of their distinct Western appeal - their attitude, clothes, and the songs they released were almost tailor made for the States. I wonder what exactly happened that the will.i.am-produced English album was shelved.
It was probably shit, wasn't it?

There was a snippet called "Take the World On" which sounded promising (at the time) but now it's dated and Will.I.Aint got out in time before his career could crash and burn
some more
. 2NE1 tried it, they just need to lose Minzy, Dara and Bom and they can get somewhere. I don't care for KPOP acts trying to make it in the US, like you said, their best bet is in Europe.

Bladenic

European Royalty Inna has announced, via her Instagram, she is releasing an EP titled Summer Days soon. She posted the picture of the cover, which looks great. The EP is produced by her long term collaborators Play & Win.

Finally, I'm getting my summer playlist, just as summer is ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom