• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Rihanna wouldn't be affected by being too off the radar or being away for too long. Just like she isn't affected by over-saturation. The reason is because she, like Katy, is pretty inoffensive. Their reputation isn't so much that of an "exhibitionist" like a Bey or Gags or Nicki (or Miley now) so because of it they don't really polarize a lot of people. It seems that with Rihanna and Katy their success moves along one song at a time; if their single is catchy and radio likes it, they move up a spot. If it's not, they stall, and try again.

Sis...

Rihanna accepted an award from Anna Wintour dressed in a gown made of swarovski crystals this year.

She posed for a French nudie mag this year.

She got beat up on the way to the Grammys and then infamously went back to Chris a year later.

There are a lot of explanations for why Rihanna's reign won't let up, but "she is inoffensive" ain't one of them. ESPECIALLY if you're going to compare her to dull-as-dishwater Beyonce on that same metric.

Touchdown

Banned
I think it will all depend on the first single she chooses. If it's a banger she'll probably have her biggest first week sales ever in part due to the rest of the music scene being a wasteland. Radio is sooooo thirsty to play new Rihanna music.

Sis...

Rihanna accepted an award from Anna Wintour dressed in a gown made of swarovski crystals this year.

She posed for a French nudie mag this year.

She got beat up on the way to the Grammys and then infamously went back to Chris a year later.

There are a lot of explanations for why Rihanna's reign won't let up, but "she is inoffensive" ain't one of them. ESPECIALLY if you're going to compare her to dull-as-dishwater Beyonce on that same metric.

She makes headlines but hardly riles up the masses any longer than 30 minutes. Miley Cyrus got everyone's panties in a bunch for 4 months over a performance that Rihanna's probably done 4 times. She's successful on radio, and she's a fashion/style darling to those follow fashion and like it, but she doesn't inspire much conversation other than the cyclical "something something Chris Brown." She's been called "idiot" by the public more than "interesting" or "captivating". She's never come close to capturing the public zeitgeist like Beyonce, Gaga, Britney, hell even Christina or her friend Katy. The chemistry's half there but not quite. And that's your tea

Vitanimus

I think it will all depend on the first single she chooses. If it's a banger she'll probably have her biggest first week sales ever in part due to the rest of the music scene being a wasteland. Radio is sooooo thirsty to play new Rihanna music.

Isn't that kinda amazing? I guess it depends on who you ask, but out of all the pop gorlz currently releasing music, I feel like the GP notices Rihanna's absence the most although I have no way of proving it
chick1.gif

She makes headlines but hardly riles up the masses any longer than 30 minutes. Miley Cyrus got everyone's panties in a bunch for 4 months over a performance that Rihanna's probably done 4 times. She's successful on radio, and she's a fashion/style darling to those follow fashion and like it, but she doesn't inspire much conversation other than the cyclical "something something Chris Brown." She's been called an idiot by the public more than someone interesting or captivating. And that's your tea

Eh? Miley's entire BANGERZ era relied exclusively on shock factor that the GP is done with, considering Adore You flopped; Rihanna wore a sworovski crystal dress and an arguably equal social buzz as Miley did at the VMA's and she was promoting nothing but her nice tits. I think Rihanna inspires a lot of conversation.

royalan

She makes headlines but hardly riles up the masses any longer than 30 minutes. Miley Cyrus got everyone's panties in a bunch for 4 months over a performance that Rihanna's probably done 4 times. She's successful on radio, and she's a fashion/style darling to those follow fashion and like it, but she doesn't inspire much conversation other than the cyclical "something something Chris Brown." She's been called an idiot by the public more than someone interesting or captivating. And that's your tea

I think the thing about Rihanna is that she doesn't inspire just occasional flare-ups in conversation. She's a mainstay in the public eye due to how openly she lives her life, even when she's not promoting an era. Compare her to somebody like Beyonce, who only gets attention from non-stans when she's in the middle of an era or pushing something.

She's a constant pulse, not a sudden swell. I spilled this Philly tea once before and Cory confirmed: you listen to the radio out here? Rihanna. You can go to any night club any day of the week here and it's guaranteed that more Rihanna will get played than anybody else. But it gets taken for granted because it's been that way for so long at this point. Rihanna's like oxygen: you don't notice it until it's not there. :(

also, heck your PMs...;)

Mau ®

She makes headlines but hardly riles up the masses any longer than 30 minutes. Miley Cyrus got everyone's panties in a bunch for 4 months over a performance that Rihanna's probably done 4 times. She's successful on radio, and she's a fashion/style darling to those follow fashion and like it, but she doesn't inspire much conversation other than the cyclical "something something Chris Brown." She's been called "idiot" by the public more than "interesting" or "captivating". She's never come close to capturing the public zeitgeist like Beyonce, Gaga, Britney, hell even Christina or her friend Katy. The chemistry's half there but not quite. And that's your tea

The problem with pretty much all your arguments is you never back them up with any kinds of metrics or statistics. It's all a "feeling" with you.

As far as "interest" goes, Rihanna has been pretty consistent at maintaining public interest. Just a quick graph of worldwide google searches of the last twelve months should paint you a good picture of who has the attention of the public:

Hux8lAW.jpg

Rihanna and Bey are pretty much neck to neck. Lady Gaga is a hew and Katy does well. Wanna know the difference between all these girls? Rihanna is on a BREAK. She doesnt have songs on radio, she didn't release an album, she hasnt promoted a project. Zero. Rihanna got headlines for being at FIFA games, she got headlines for rocking Paris Fashion Week (critics called it PaRIH Fashion Week), Rihanna sparked a whole movement because she closed down her instagram. Rihanna gets attention just for being herself.

Latch

Mau ®;125285279 said:
The problem with pretty much all your arguments is you never back them up with any kinds of metrics or statistics. It's all a "feeling" with you.

As far as "interest" goes, Rihanna has been pretty consistent at maintaining public interest. Just a quick graph of worldwide google searches of the last twelve months should paint you a good picture of who has the attention of the public:

Hux8lAW.jpg

Rihanna and Bey are pretty much neck to neck. Lady Gaga is a hew and Katy does well. Wanna know the difference between all these girls? Rihanna is on a BREAK. She doesnt have songs on radio, she didn't release an album, she hasnt promoted a project. Zero. Rihanna got headlines for being at FIFA games, she got headlines for rocking Paris Fashion Week (critics called it PaRIH Fashion Week), Rihanna sparked a whole movement because she closed down her instagram. Rihanna gets attention just for being herself.

publish those RIHceipts!

Touchdown

Banned
Lemme just do an impromptu Shake It Off appreciation post since Swift's song likely won't come close to the iconic standard bearer.

tumblr_mpuhg2RvrD1qmuoyho2_500.png

tumblr_mpuhg2RvrD1qmuoyho5_250.gif
tumblr_mpuhg2RvrD1qmuoyho7_250.gif

Shake It Off was the 3rd single from MC’s multi-platinum record The Emancipation of Mimi.
It was written and produced by Carey along with Jermaine Dupri, Bryan-Michael Cox, and Johntá Austin.

tumblr_muzdxleyrM1qkdh9eo8_250.gif
tumblr_muzdxleyrM1qkdh9eo7_250.gif

After the launch of the video websites, Billboard announced that the video for "Shake It Off" had generated over two million requests on its first day of release, setting a record at the time for the websites. It peaked at #2 on Billboard's Hot Videoclip Tracks chart. The video was well received by fans and critics alike, with a writer from The Sacramento Bee writing how he thought it was impressive that Carey at 35, and with over fifteen years in the business, had arranged such a popular video. He also described it as "sassy, fun and ghetto", while outing it as one of her best videos.

tumblr_mpuhg2RvrD1qmuoyho3_500.png

----------------------------------https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZVdDl_asYY----------------------------------

tumblr_m0bevomhZG1qhk30fo5_r2_250.gif
tumblr_m0bevomhZG1qhk30fo8_r1_250.gif
tumblr_m0bevomhZG1qhk30fo10_250.gif

The song peaked at number two on the US Billboard Hot 100, as it was barred by Carey's own "We Belong Together" and Kanye West's Gold Digger for six weeks.
Furthermore, it marked the first time a female lead artist occupied the top two positions of the Hot 100.

===================
tumblr_muzdxleyrM1qkdh9eo6_250.gif
===================

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
ummm

so y'all keep referecning "R8", does Rih actually have 7 full albums with an 8th on the way? It's not some stupid play on words/numbers like Rate or Rated? I thought she had like 2 or 3 at most and was an editorial model now, she's good at that! O_______O

I have legit never heard a full Rihanna album. I have ONE song of her's on my playlist, that is Umbrella. And I think I heard Diamonds or whatever on Idol the year I tuned in when queen of sass Nicki was a guest judge alongside Touchdown's fave. How exactly did 7 album's slip by me? I didn't skip them on purpose either like I do with Failure Swift's, they must come out at the exact moments that I don't pay attention to the music scene.

I've never been hot on music Rih, but Twitter troll Rih and fashion icon Rih is a Rihanna I can get behind <3 (LOVE the recent exotic photoshoot she did)

cory64

ummm

so y'all keep referecning "R8", does Rih actually have 7 full albums with an 8th on the way? It's not some stupid play on words/numbers like Rate or Rated? I thought she had like 2 or 3 at most and was an editorial model now, she's good at that! O_______O

I have legit never heard a full Rihanna album. I have ONE song of her's on my playlist, that is Umbrella. And I think I heard Diamonds or whatever on Idol the year I tuned in when queen of sass Nicki was a guest judge alongside Touchdown's fave. How exactly did 7 album's slip by me? I didn't skip them on purpose either like I do with Failure Swift's, they must come out at the exact moments that I don't pay attention to the music scene.

I've never been hot on music Rih, but Twitter troll Rih and fashion icon Rih is a Rihanna I can get behind <3 (LOVE the recent exotic photoshoot she did)

7 albums from 2005&#8211;2012
Ozb8qMP.png

nEgHAjc.png

Mau ®

ummm

OMG I have to make that SUPREME RIH PLAYLIST!!

You'll Stan for her then and all will be perfect *.*

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
7 albums from 2005–2012

wow I clearly don't pay much attention to the music industry! >________<
Thankfully POPGAF is here to save the day!
superhero.gif

(seriously I've added SO MUCH to my music since this thread, including one of my new faves Annie, I believe she's one of yours too cory64)

Mau ®;125294090 said:
OMG I have to make that SUPREME RIH PLAYLIST!!

You'll Stan for her then and all will be perfect *.*

Haha I'm still patiently waiting on that Mau sis <3 <3 <3

V7kWw.gif

I hear Spotify may be available in Canada soon! ^________^

Mumei

Hello, sestras. I have been spending this weekend watching Orphan Black, in between worrying about my poor dog's health issues. Tatiana Maslany is my Queen. All of you who haven't watched it (Roy has <3) need to, posthaste.

40vLn2a.gif

mfw when you have yet to realize that your fave looks like she was the product of a miscarriage

8dXvQ.gif

Now bitch you know he's just going to do that "word [picture] word [picture] word [picture]" thing he does whenever anyone comes for his fave's looks. :(

royalan

Hello, sestras. I have been spending this weekend watching Orphan Black, in between worrying about my poor dog's health issues. Tatiana Maslany is my Queen. All of you who haven't watched it (Roy has <3) need to, posthaste.

40vLn2a.gif

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSS

STAN THE QUEEN!!!!

tumblr_inline_n76ph6275T1qkfyaf.gif

Latch

40vLn2a.gif

I've been binge watching it as well
tumblr_mxhwltCn1T1r7d5wro1_250.gif

enigmatic_alex44

40vLn2a.gif

YASSSSSSS

Orphan Black is one of my favorite shows currently airing! <333 Tatiana is amazing, I legit cannot choose a favorite clone :D
except Tony, Tony SUCKS
and I am dying here waiting for season 3!

BTW sorry to hear about your dog's health issues Mumei sis :(
I know how hard that can be to deal with :( Hope your little animal friend recovers soon <3

Mumei

BTW sorry to hear about your dog's health issues Mumei sis :(
I know how hard that can be to deal with :( Hope your little animal friend recovers soon <3

She was experiencing congestive heart failure. She's fourteen years old, and we had no signs that she was going to be experiencing heart problems, but one of her valves just started malfunctioning, opening the wrong direction and letting blood flow the wrong way, which caused the heart to enlarge and to develop a murmur. She also had fluid build-up in the lungs because of this. When we took her to the vet, she was at ~80% blood-oxygen level.

She's home now and on several new meds and is currently recuperating.

Pictures!

Touchdown

Banned
She was experiencing congestive heart failure. She's fourteen years old, and we had no signs that she was going to be experiencing heart problems, but one of her valves just started malfunctioning, opening the wrong direction and letting blood flow the wrong way, which caused the heart to enlarge and to develop a murmur. She also had fluid build-up in the lungs because of this. When we took her to the vet, she was at ~80% blood-oxygen level.

Pictures!

Is your dog part dachshund Mumei?

Also let's join hands in prayer for Never Forever as he gets his results today :)

Tyvm bb, I'm in Birmingham! Got that shiny Unconditional update on Track.

I am actually dancing around in my underwear right now and it is the best feeling. I need to get my results eventually, but I no longer feel doomed.

Time to listen to the VICTORY PLAYLIST

AND I'M A MEMBER OF NEOGAF TOO HOORAY

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Realistically, Rih should be able to trounce Applause's first week sales
I know she's never been about first week sales (not sure why though) but she's been away for two years, has managed to stay in the public eye without people thinking she's been releasing music constantly and her fan base should be large enough for her to crack 300k.
There really is no excuse for missing the mark. Monster debuted with 373k and that was Eminem's fourth song from the album but the highest first week of the four, so let's not pretend it was high for him. Rih should easily be able to get around that mark with her lead solo single.

Also welcome to the fold Never. Now work on getting a tag!

Also welcome to the fold Never. Now work on getting a tag!

Matt_
World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
(Today, 09:20 AM)

LordT, like I need that kind of embarrassment. I'll pass.

I am currently looping the most appropriate song in the world
I can't speak French
So I'll let the funky music do the talking talking
Now oh
I can't speak French
So I'll let the funky music do the talking

I got a C, lol. I am absolutely useless at French, this was a miracle. A*s in English and History tho, can't complain about that either.

Matt_

Matt_
(Today, 09:20 AM)

LordT, like I need that kind of embarrassment. I'll pass.

I got a C, lol. I am absolutely useless at French, this was a miracle. A*s in English and History tho, can't complain about that either.

Erm fucking rude
But slay sis
ibkCv8rB6ldSH8.gif
, they your A Levels? What uni you going to go to

Erm fucking rude
But slay sis
ibkCv8rB6ldSH8.gif
, they your A Levels? What uni you going to go to

only because I love you and I hope to be as drunk as you one day

Birmingham to do English and History Joint Honours because I'm such a massive nerd that I couldn't choose between my two loves
ibkCv8rB6ldSH8.gif
ibkCv8rB6ldSH8.gif
ibkCv8rB6ldSH8.gif

Matt_

only because I love you and I hope to be as drunk as you one day

Birmingham to do English and History Joint Honours because I'm such a massive nerd that I couldn't choose between my two loves
ibkCv8rB6ldSH8.gif
ibkCv8rB6ldSH8.gif
ibkCv8rB6ldSH8.gif

Lawd Brummies everywhere
Embrace student life sis, it really is the shit

But just don't do what I did and only eat a pot noodle on the first day, do a bottle of vodka then head out with no Id, ticket or wallet and without anyones phone numbers. a MESS. Took me MONTHS to live that one down.

enigmatic_alex44

Pictures!

OMGGGGGGG Mumei your dog is absolutely ADORABLE! This is coming from a "cat person" too (I have 3 including the feisty orange sweetie in my avi <3) so that's high praise indeed! :D
So glad to hear your dog is currently recuperating, I have a real soft spot for animals and I think very highly of people who treat animals well <3333

Fevaweva

I know it is probably old hat in this thread, but I really like the Break Free music video. Totally not what I expected.

I am always a fan of anything with BOOB GUNS in it

Vazduh

S Club 7 are apparently planning a reunion.

An S Club 7 reunion is "close", according to former band mate Paul Cattermole.

The pop group recently met with their former management team 19 - including Simon Fuller - according to tabloid reports, but none of the members have confirmed plans to reform.

I'd rather have a new Rachel Stevens album, tbh. Let's face it, if it really happens, the reunion is going to be tragique.

Remember the S Club 3 reunion from two years ago? :/

Pictures!

Adorable *.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom