• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

tumblr_naizl8xlsY1qd3quqo1_500.jpg

NNNNNnnn

royalan

Whew!

Shake it Off (the Dignity) is fucking garbage!

But HEW's really surprised?

What's surprising is how DESPERATELY Taylor Swift is still clinging to that tween audience! I haven't seen thirsty clinging of this magnitude since the last time my fuck buddy came over and I tried to convince him to go a third round before he had to get back to the church.

It's like her music is getting more pre-pubescent the older she gets. And "fuck the haters" anthems as lead singles is so 2012.

I'll be interested in seeing if anybody buys it anymore. I mean, of course this first single is going to smash like hotcakes, it's Taylor. But I feel like this might be her "Born This Way" -- ie. the last hurrah! before the steady plummet.

Touchdown

Banned
Whew!

What's surprising is how DESPERATELY Taylor Swift is still clinging to that tween audience! I haven't seen thirsty clinging of this magnitude since the last time my fuck buddy came over and I tried to convince him to go a third round before he had to get back to the church.

NOOOOOOoo. Let the poor guy get back to church.
09954248.gif

get

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
What a SAD state of affairs the POP industry finds itself in 2014.

E6vzg.gif

Not Taylor's white people dancing vid being the "big event" of the summer

E6vzg.gif

*SIGH*

Diamonds, Applause and Work Bitch surpass.

Soulscribe sis please stop. Applause is hot garbage, even I as a huge Gaga fan can say that.
Work Bitch is trash too which would leave Rih as the winner of this list

Vitanimus

Whew!

It's like her music is getting more pre-pubescent the older she gets. And "fuck the haters" anthems as lead singles is so 2012.

I'll be interested in seeing if anybody buys it anymore. I mean, of course this first single is going to smash like hotcakes, it's Taylor. But I feel like this might be her "Born This Way" -- ie. the last hurrah! before the steady plummet.

aasdfjelwjd

Nemesis_

I don't really like Shake It Off but I do prefer this style of Taylor even if she's forsaking her roots, everybody has to change at some point.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Soulscribe sis please stop. Applause is hot garbage, even I as a huge Gaga fan can say that.
Work Bitch is trash too which would leave Rih as the winner of this list

Lol obviously it has everything to do with personal taste and nothing to do with fandom :p Also Applause is fabulous. When that song comes on in the club you WILL see me on a platform lip-syncing for my life and post-apocalyptic vogueing. It's too bad you don't get that from the song but we all have our hangups.

enigmatic_alex44

Lol obviously it has everything to do with personal taste and nothing to do with fandom :p Also Applause is fabulous. When that song comes on in the club you WILL see me on a platform lip-syncing for my life and post-apocalyptic vogueing. It's too bad you don't get that from the song but we all have our hangups.

The video for Applause IS fabulous :D I still watch it sometimes. I can't use the song though and I'm so irritated THAT was her last big hit and is partially to blame for her current state of affairs. The public heard the "suddenly the Koons is me" line, said WTF, packed their bags and left. *.*

At least Applause is better than Flake it Off

E6vzg.gif

Taylor's been around for more than 8 years, and only just saw the beginnings of global stardom, but slay, keep comparing her to Gaga who fell off the face of the earth after 3 years.

criticising shake it off for awkward white people dancing is purposefully ignoring the song's meaning
and gaga is incredibly insufferable, taylor has done nothing in the past eight years to piss anyone off, why would she start now?

anyway, when are the vmas, the only way this week could get any more legendary is if Bey performs the Flawless remix at the vmas and then drops an iconic shit on iTunes

rihanna is never releasing anything, I give up

The verses in Applause give me so much life though. They're hilarious and theatrical and sarcastic, don't know why people think she was aiming for regular verbiage and came out with that instead. It's obviously tongue-in-cheek and accepting that makes for a more entertaining listen. The verses are what sell the whole thing for me. The chorus is my least favorite part though. And it did need an epic clap breakdown or rap or something.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Mhm. Taylor is evolving into a sleek pop superstar and not devolving into something like the rancid pulp that Gags is now.

royalan

Ch...even Applause is better than Shake It Off.

Shake it Off sounds like something that should have come out two years ago, in both production and message.

It's a try-hard PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME TWEENS mess.

I'll give Gaga the credit for at least taking the risk.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Whew!

Shake it Off sounds like something that should have come out two years ago, in both production and message.

You just sound mad.

Mhm. Taylor is evolving into a sleek pop superstar and not devolving into something like the rancid pulp that Gags is now.

I'll take rancid pulp over sleek pop superstar any day if the latter's only job is to be as characteristically inoffensive as possible. Also, if you're still saying the word "haters" in your song then you are automatically not on my wavelength. lol

enigmatic_alex44

You just sound mad.

He's right though. It's getting embarrassing, Taylor needs to target an older audience and evolve her look to be taken seriously at this point, it's starting to look desperate

Forgettable, eh? Guess we'll see soon enough.

Being memorable does not = quality

She could get 500,000,000 views for Flake it Off and have it becomes America's new national anthem, wouldn't suddenly make it a fresh, non-cringey and well produced song. I mean, FFS Katy Perry of all people is still super successful and had a great year in 2013 while other, more talented and deserving stars plummeted and she's the worst "singer" (can barely use that word tbh) of the current pop girls by a fair margin!

Aguila

#ICONIC

I don't understand. The message (of being yourself) is not limited to two years ago, has been a constant presence in pop music, and will probably keep being used until forever.

As for the production, doesn't it sound similar to Problem which was an extremely popular song this summer?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I was on the subway on the way home today and Oops...I did it again came on. Ha power. What a bop.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I'll take rancid pulp over sleek pop superstar any day if the latter's only job is to be as characteristically inoffensive as possible. Also, if you're still saying the word "haters" in your song then you are automatically not on my wavelength. lol

Well I'd rather have cute inoffensive pop than lackluster attempts at jazz singing, shit promo art, and a fave that look like this satanic monster on her off time

MtnQYNA.gif

Suit yourself.

enigmatic_alex44

As for the production, doesn't it sound similar to Problem which was an extremely popular song this summer?

Not similar at all, don't know why people keep saying that
Plus Problem is actually a certified bop, I was jamming to it before I even found out that the Charisma Blackhole sang it. Only thing that bogs Problem down is the feature from that racist bigoted trash Iggy, remove her part and it'd be perfect

royalan

I don't understand. The message (of being yourself) is not limited to two years ago, has been a constant presence in pop music, and will probably keep being used until forever.

Yeah, but it's a little soon after the EXPLOSION of "Be yourself kids!" anthems we got barely two years ago.

And didn't she already play that game with her single Mean?

Also, I'm not hearing the similarity to Problem. Problem is a lot more urban. The only similarity I'm hearing is the horn blast. Other than that, it sounds like something that could have been found on Sara Bareilles' debut album.

I think people are clinging to the Problem comparisons because a) drama, and b) that was the "official word" before anyone had even heard the song.

tumblr_naik640FfM1r46cuxo1_500.jpg

Well hi there.

ikIijkWRcHPB5.gif

YAAAAASSSSSS.

I do not blame Nicki at ALL for taking advantage of the situation.

Feel ALL THAT DICK, Nicki!!

He's right though. It's getting embarrassing, Taylor needs to target an older audience and evolve her look to be taken seriously at this point, it's starting to look desperate

What? She's taken more seriously than 90% of the artists talked about in here. She has 7 Grammys, including one for album of the year. She received the CMA pinnacle award, the highest honor in country music. Her philanthropic efforts frequently make the news.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Yeah, we taking these haters and we roughing 'em up
And we laying the club like we don't give a fuck

:eyes:
I never thought I'd actually like a post by you. I always compared you to Arte. But this...is sort of perfect.

enigmatic_alex44

What? She's taken more seriously than 90% of the artists talked about in here. She has 7 Grammys, including one for album of the year. She received the CMA pinnacle award, the highest honor in country music. Her philanthropic efforts frequently make the news.

I have NO issues with Taylor as a person. This isn't a case of Beyoncé for me where I think she's just a bad human being irl which ruins the music for me (whether or not it's good music). Taylor is a sweet girl and seems really genuine with her fans, pretty much as genuine as Gaga in that regard. My only issue with Taylor is that the music sucks.

She's just a half step above Katy Perry vocally, so let's not pretend like she'd have the big career she has if she wasn't ALSO sweet, inoffensive and very pretty (that'll get someone really far). But the fact that Taylor IS a good person is why I can be happy for her and not be fuming, even if I dislike what she puts out there musically

I never thought I'd actually like a post by you. I always compared you to Arte. But this...is sort of perfect.

LOOOL don't compare Fey to Arte! Fey's cool in my book :D
Constantly cracks me up when I see the good sis flawlessly dragging the perplexed in OT plus Fey is a huge Madonna fan which is an automatic +5 in my book <3

Mau ®

I'm LOLing at the fact that people are complaining Tay looks "awkward" on the SIO video when that's the whole intent of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom