• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aguila

#ICONIC
If only Lana could give half of her brain to Brainlessney, then maybe she'd start singing in her own songs instead of Myah Marie or Sia.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i hope that in ten years when lana del didn't-make-it-over-the-sophomore-album-hurdley is long gone and forgotten while britney is still considered one of the most influential and iconic pop musicians of the early 21st century you look back at this and continue to SEETHE

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
at least she managed over a decade instead of six months
ahh.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
get out of here anyway with claiming britney isn't still iconic

even her mental breakdowns are the standard by which celebrity breakdowns are measured

her power. her influence.

Eh Britney's legacy was a much more prevalent thing in 2008 than it is now. She'll always be one of the most memorable celebrities of all time but the music/performance talent will start to become more and more peripheral the longer you coast on being shitty. And it's hard for me to admire someone who allowed herself to crash and burn so hard with drugs and alcohol, and who is now relying on her large twink demographic to pay coin while she stands on stage and does absolutely nothing. It's disrespectful to her legacy and disrespectful to her fans. The epitome of industry puppet.

cory64

But she's in a good place right now. She's healthy and has something to do every week.

get out of here anyway with claiming britney isn't still iconic

even her mental breakdowns are the standard by which celebrity breakdowns are measured

her power. her influence.
Gaga only managed a quarter britney last year and it doesn't look like she'll be able to manage even a half beyoncé with ARTPOP part II.

Vitanimus

Eh Britney's legacy was a much more prevalent thing in 2008 than it is now. She'll always be one of the most memorable celebrities of all time but the music/performance talent will start to become more and more peripheral the longer you coast on being shitty. And it's hard for me to admire someone who allowed herself to crash and burn so hard with drugs and alcohol, and who is now relying on her large twink demographic to pay coin while she stands on stage and does absolutely nothing. It's disrespectful to her legacy and disrespectful to her fans. The epitome of industry puppet.

p l e a s e, almost all of the above applies to Gaga and yet post 2007 Britney has SNATCHED two consecutive number one singles

drugs and alcohol? check

relies on a large twink demographic to pay coin? check

edit: okay the picture won't let me link but STILL

To come for Britney who revived an entire genre and defined the landscape of 2000's pop who now plays a show in VEGAS is a testament to her position as an icon. Britney knows the business.

Mau ®

Britney's brand has definitely been tarnished this decade though. To the point that it overshadows her contributions to pop.

Until 2004ney magically comes back (not gonna happen), or she makes another fantastic, game changing pop album (slim chance, she's no longer a producer's muse) or dies (will happen eventually), people are not gonna appreciate her anymore.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Mau ®;126111104 said:
Britney's brand has definitely been tarnished this decade though. To the point that it overshadows her contributions to pop.

I disagree. She's basically making her living at the moment reminding people of her contributions to pop. And despite the desperate attempts by certain stanbases to claim that the show was a flop or that it sucked, it has done very well commercially (99.7% attendance) and has been pretty warmly reviewed.

She's essentially a legacy act at this point, but with a legacy that strong it's okay.

p l e a s e, almost all of the above applies to Gaga and yet post 2007 Britney has SNATCHED two consecutive number one singles

drugs and alcohol? check

relies on a large twink demographic to pay coin? check

edit: okay the picture won't let me link but STILL

To come for Britney who revived an entire genre and defined the landscape of 2000's pop who now plays a show in VEGAS is a testament to her position as an icon. Britney knows the business.

Britney spiraled out of control publicly and you know that's not a fair comparison. It's one thing to be addicted and having to find help privately but being a frantic mess at every public moment of your life takes a whole new kind of recklessness that's really just the product of maximum stupidity.

Gaga has a gay following just like most our faves do. The difference is that she gives them an excellent show because she cares to, and it doesn't hurt that she's exceptionally talented. When you tag your fans along for a lip syncing extravaganza where the stage ITSELF is moving more than you are then you're just phoning your fame in. Of course those twinks don't know any better and think they are watching something spectacular unfold, all while Britney stands on stage thinking about Cheetohs and blowjobs while lip syncing to Sia. A career-wide mess

I bought Shake It Off. Whoops

It just sounds like every song I've heard for the past 18 years but that's why it's going to be so huge. Christ she knows what radio loves doesn't she.

It's just so vanilla pudding and cute nonsense

YEEESSSSSS MY RUMOUR MILL IS CORRECT

I feel vindicated

I love that art too.

Full deets on Rolling Stone. September 30th.

The Sex
"My Gun"
"Like Em Young"
"Talking Body"
"Timebomb"
The Love
"Moments"
"The Way That I Am"
"Got Love"
"Not On Drugs"
The Pain
"Thousand Miles"
"Habits (Stay High)"
"This Time Around"
"Run On Love (QOTC Edit)"

Noooooooo this is SO ICONIC

I've prioritised down to Jesus, Lord and Charlisus but I think I can stretch to four. (Sucker is actually budget price on iTunes, £6.99. Charlisus knows what it's like to be hard up for cash)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Britney spiraled out of control publicly and you know that's not a fair comparison. It's one thing to be addicted and having to find help privately but being a frantic mess at every public moment of your life takes a whole new kind of recklessness that's really just the product of maximum stupidity.

MAXIUM STUPIDITY, or as some people call it, MENTAL ILLNESS

the absolute rock-bottom moral fibre, equating a mental breakdown with stupidity

but the little monsters, like their fave, are all about preaching love and happiness while covering themselves in slime with their bullying

MAXIUM STUPIDITY, or as some people call it, MENTAL ILLNESS

the absolute rock-bottom moral fibre, equating a mental breakdown with stupidity

but the little monsters, like their fave, are all about preaching love and happiness while covering themselves in slime with their bullying

Is there proof of her having a mental illness or are you making assumptions? I heard rumblings of her having bipolar disorder but I didn't know that was confirmed or anything.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Is there proof of her having a mental illness or are you making assumptions? I heard rumblings of her having bipolar disorder but I didn't know that was confirmed or anything.
She was put under involuntary psychiatric detention and placed and conservatorship, ask yourself if these are the kinds of things that happen to people who are just 'a bit stupid'.

SaintZ

YEEESSSSSS MY RUMOUR MILL IS CORRECT

I feel vindicated

I love that art too.

Full deets on Rolling Stone. September 30th.

Noooooooo this is SO ICONIC

I've prioritised down to Jesus, Lord and Charlisus but I think I can stretch to four. (Sucker is actually budget price on iTunes, £6.99. Charlisus knows what it's like to be hard up for cash)
Oh she's premiering the Not On Drugs music video, slay (it looks like a cheap video tho).

And not "Like Em Young" :jonny: coming for Lana, ha iconic song titles.

Vazduh

Also, KARA's back. This entire video/concept is gorgeous, holy shit.

O M G *.*

WICJm8C.gif

This is actually great. I love this! At first I thought it was produced by Sweetune, but quick Googling says that it's a Duble Sidekick song.

Oh she's premiering the Not On Drugs music video, slay (it looks like a cheap video tho).

And not "Like Em Young" :jonny: coming for Lana, ha iconic song titles.

The video is obviously a no-budget affair, but still it's better than no video.

Oh, and her album cover sucks.

Mau ®

So basically SIO is on track to sell about the same as WANEGBT. This basically confirms everyone has been here for POP Taylord all along and they just played along with the "country" charade.

I didn't think the album cover was awful, I have seen worse :eli:

Also, it seems nobody cares anymore about her after Chasing The Sun flopped but Hilary released the lyric video for All About You.

Cute and a much better song that Shake It Off.

This is basically the same kind of Hilary Duff song I would have secretly liked back when she was new to the music scene.

I think this will be another one I will not love but still actively bop to when I hear it somewhere.

Bladenic

I didn't think the album cover was awful, I have seen worse :eli:

Also, it seems nobody cares anymore about her after Chasing The Sun flopped but Hilary released the lyric video for All About You.

Cute and a much better song that Shake It Off.

Bye shake it off is much more of a bop

I still use all about you tho

Still shaking over yesterday tho, shake it off and break the rules are such a 1-2 punch

SaintZ

Mau ®;126130562 said:
And "All about you" has progressive production?

It's a great bop with basic production. Don't be fooled.
Of course not, but it doesn't sound as bland and Hilary's vocals doesn't sound as flat. (Although to be fair, I've never been fan of Taylor's voice tbh).

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I could easily mistake All About You for a Taylor song tbh, very similar in style
But Saintz didn't lie, the production on AAY is a lot more interesting than shake it off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom