• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

kiiii at FIRO getting offended for something she STARTED in the first place.

Be grateful people have things to ask you besides what Rihanna era are you currently most inspired from.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Happy birthday, Alex! :)

AHMEit2.gif

All the best :*

Thanks Vazduh!!!! :) :) ;)

wink.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Happy Birthday Alex!!!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!

88505_original.gif

88092_original.gif

materialgirl_heartsgif.gif

THANK YOU BB!!!!!! <3333 such perfect gifs, ugh slay me Madge :*)

tumblr_lp0yon0ZmS1qfpdefo1_500.gif

lmfao I'm home early from work and my girl Ankha wants to throw me a birthday party in Animal Crossing New Leaf :D

B-Dex

Sistren, my life is a DAMNEDt mess. Like all your basic faves, this thread, and the Canadian Pop scene or music scene in general.

So stay tuned for the first edition of POPGAF's Canadian Music Encyclopedia.

&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;&#127809;

Coming later tonight. But depending where your broke ass lives it could be way late or super early. Not everyone is blessed to live on the BEST COAST. &#128150; Pacific &#127754;

I AM HAVING SUCH A GAY MOMENT WITH KYLIE MINOGUE RIGHT NOW YAAAAS! FEELING LIKE AMERICA'S NEXT TOPPED BOTTOM RN

#sexercise
#thrivingandthrobbing

SaintZ

Hot 100 this week

1. Rude
2. All About That Bass
3. Stay With Me
4. Break Free
5. Fancy
6. Am I wrong
7. Problem
8. Black Widow
9. Chandelier
10. Bang Bang

Iggy and Ariana appear 3 times in the Top 10
The ascents make it three songs apiece for Grande and Azalea in the Hot 100's top 10 this week. The pair's team-up, "Problem," falls 6-7 (after reaching No. 2 for five weeks); Azalea's former seven-week No. 1 "Fancy," featuring Charli XCX, slides 3-5; and, Grande's diva-off with Jessie J and Nicki Minaj, "Bang Bang," slips 9-10 (although up by 3 percent in overall chart points). How rare is it for female artists to lock up three top 10 spots simultaneously? Grande and Azalea join only Adele and Ashanti in achieving the feat. Adele did so with "Set Fire to the Rain," "Rolling in the Deep" and "Someone Like You" (Nos. 2, 5, and 7, respectively) on the March 3, 2012, chart, while Ashanti tripled up with her own "Foolish" and two featured roles, on Ja Rule's "Always on Time" and Fat Joe's "Wut's Luv?," for two weeks in 2002. Grande, thus, joins Adele as the only women to monopolize three top 10 ranks simultaneously as a lead artist.

Beyond only women, an act claiming at least three top 10 spots on the Hot 100 at the same time is scarce. The others: the Beatles logged a record five for two weeks (April 4, 11) in 1964; 50 Cent and T-Pain each scored as many as four top 10s at a time; and Akon, the Bee Gees, Chris Brown, Lil Wayne and Usher have each tallied three, bringing the total to just 12 acts upon the additions of Grande and Azalea this week.
tumblr_static_6k9vd21i1dcs0kwksosk8kcc0.gif

Zutroy

Leaked Britney clip from a demo supposedly from BJ. Bored (Just Do It)

E: Actually the 'I'm bored' part sounds like a bit from a Instagram video she posted. Probably fake.

E2: Okay reading the Youtube comments (I usually avoid that) it's definitely fake.

Move on...

Partition getting some serious spinnage on Hot 97.

Still puncheS like Solange in the hood, bloody heavens cry unmerciful on my quivering, unworthy loins to be quite frank~

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Leaked Britney clip from a demo supposedly from BJ. Bored (Just Do It)

E: Actually the 'I'm bored' part sounds like a bit from a Instagram video she posted. Probably fake.

E2: Okay reading the Youtube comments (I usually avoid that) it's definitely fake.

Move on...

OH MY GOD I'M YODELLING

HOW DI YOU THINK THIS WAS REAL FSDJKLGGSDFJG;LSDJF;LGJ

enigmatic_alex44

Happy Birthday Alex. :)

iU2bHcdu0vBZx.gif

gimme your animal crossing friend code :p

AHHH thank you Touchdown sir!!!! <3 :)

Let me figure out what my current friend code is next time I play and I'll PM you! (I've gone through several 3DS and I now have the Zelda LBW 3DSXL gold one and still haven't checked what it is on this one)

madonna-give-me-all-your-luvin-gif.gif

Lets think about the ratchet white chicks I stan:

Lil' Debbie
Miley Cyrus
Iggy Azealia
Brooke Candy

What do all these girls have in common?
They all suck?

They're living the life that they're propagating in their art.

iblvkLo0gKrYYE.gif

And do you know what I see? White kids in snap-backs, hoodies and retro caps. Wearing gold chains and hanging out in abandoned lots near the river in their "pimped out" cars blasting rap music. As ridiculous as you think the idea is, we now live in a society where "urban" culture has been exposed long enough that its completely infiltrated society and you DO have non-black faces who are growing up in it.

It's appaling that with this infiltration all they gleaned from such exposure is the appreciation for the most absurd facets of "urban culture." I cringe when I hear people people speak of "ratchet" music as if its the length and breadth of our cultural currency. It shouldn't, because taken at face value it seems to be the most easy. Lazily "spit" some bars over a trash beat with a obvious fake "blaccent" and voila, record deal, production budget, yadda yadda yadda. But, you shade Azealia Banks, someone who's dropped actual, listenable music, because she what.... got in some twitter beefs... called Perez Hilton a faggot? Wasn't Iggy racist on twitter a while back? Miley didn't even know some of the top rappers in the game a scant few years ago... but she's legit now? More legit than Timberlake? The same Timberlake who was serving you "white member of Dru Hill" realness back in the day. Ok sis.

Before I get the "you're ashamed of the black community" lecture, let me say that there is context that you miss from the outside looking in. I don't look at the dominant entertainment vehicle of a specific culture and assume that, for instance, all white people are like them Duck Dynasty folks, or them Honey Boo Boo folks. History tells us that black people aren't afforded that same consideration. I'd rather not like this ratchet shit be the only take away people have from "urban culture" just like "everyone" assumes black men are gangsters and thugs because of the "gangsta rap" explosion in the 90's.

And maybe they don't have as clear an understanding of where it comes from,

That's an understatement of the century. That you can sit here and spout this drivel and at the same time condemn Beyonce and Jay Z as being damaging the the "black community" sounds a smidgen like hypocrisy. Beyonce want's to be white right? And that's bad, right? Or is it, Beyonce is fake trying to get that pop money? Or is she fake ratchet because she grew up in a well to do neighborhood? Miley didn't? I know you're irrational where Beyonce is concerned, but even you can see that you're talking out both sides of your mouth here.

but in their eyes they don't have to: like American blue jeans, it's just what they know.

I like Lil' Debbie, not just because she's awesomely bad, but because I grew up in the Bay Area. I know that scene. I KNOW girls like Lil' Debbie. And you may not respect it, but it's real. It's a part of American culture and it exists.

I like Iggy Azealia because, even though she didn't grow up in the hood, she's always expressed a kinship with the culture, and I have no reason to find it false because it's all that she's immersed herself in from the moment she moved to the US, years before she popped off.

I'll admit, I'm not as well traveled among America's various hoods as you seem to be. But I can often tell, and am usually correct identifying some bullshit. I can also admit when I'm wrong. If all these girls don't parley controversial career antics into more traditional avenues in an album or two, I'll be surprised.

Truthfully, I'll tell you what bothers me most about these girls, and it should be evident by now, and it's not so much the minstrelsy of it all, it's that when real live black people do it, its trashy and everyone holds their noses up at it. But slap a pretty face and some pale skin on it... well then it's the best shit since sliced bread.

But, as stated previously, the difference from the girls you go in for and say, a JoJo is that JoJo doesn't seem to be play acting with her R&B influences. She seems to be invested in her craft and doesn't come off like a... Christina Aguilera, someone who, it seems, was told her once that she should sing like a black girl because it works for her voice. Sometimes it works, but mostly she sounds like she's singing the way she thinks black people sing (Mariah is guilty of this too.) These young ladies might be the most well intentioned and most invested in their art, but they don't come off as they've done the research and perfected that "it" that makes "good ratchet music" rise above what's already out there. I'm all for appropriation when its done right. if you're going to twerk, do it right. If you're going to drop some bars, do it right. You might think Miley is fully vested in this urban shit, ok... You might think random pale rapstress is spitting that hot fire, I question whether you actually listen to rap. If you like listening to "bad music" for the kii
(I did that when I was 15)
then ok.

I get that PopGaf is prone to exaggeration, so maybe I'm reading too much into it. But I place a high premium on this "urban culture" shit, and I don't like pretenders to capitalize on that which I hold dear. Especially when the product is trash.

But Taylor? No. She's is the EPITOME of the "tee-hee!" white girl who knows jack shit about urban culture. Doesn't WANT to know jack shit about urban culture. Doesn't ACTUALLY LIVE urban culture. She's just trying it on to "laugh at herself" and then immediately returning to her whiteness (which she LITERALLY does in the end of the video). I can't respect that.

Mmhmm.

royalan

It's appaling that with this infiltration all they gleaned from such exposure is the appreciation for the most absurd facets of "urban culture." I cringe when I hear people people speak of "ratchet" music as if its the length and breadth of our cultural currency. It shouldn't, because taken at face value it seems to be the most easy. Lazily "spit" some bars over a trash beat with a obvious fake "blaccent" and voila, record deal, production budget, yadda yadda yadda. But, you shade Azealia Banks, someone who's dropped actual, listenable music, because she what.... got in some twitter beefs... called Perez Hilton a faggot? Wasn't Iggy racist on twitter a while back? Miley didn't even know some of the top rappers in the game a scant few years ago... but she's legit now? More legit than Timberlake? The same Timberlake who was serving you "white member of Dru Hill" realness back in the day. Ok sis.

Sis, you gotta stop picking and choosing which of my shade you take seriously. I've said on plenty occasions that I like Azealia Banks. That I think she's the best MC of the lot right now. I've even gone as far as to say that I think Licorice is NOT ONLY her best song, but the BEST hip-hop by a female MC since Queen Latifah's U.N.I.T.Y. I have made it very clear that the ONLY reason that I drag Azealia Banks is because she's TOO DAMN GOOD to be cockblocking herself as thoroughly as she has been. There is no reason Azealia Banks hasn't popped off mainstream yet other than her own bullshit. Ain't no reason Iggy Azalea should have beat her to the punch--not when 2 years ago Iggy's videos were only getting 200,000k views on YouTube and Azalea Banks was getting Millions.

I shade Azealia for her utter lack of hustle and common sense. That's it.

And did you just call Timberlake a white membr of Dru Hill? Ch...ok. He ain't got that much soul tho.

What attracts me to the ratchet white girls is the same thing that attracts me to pretty much ANY artist. Authenticity. I don't care what your sound is. I don't care what your background is. If I stan you it's because I feel like you serve as a window into a very real culture. You don't have to respect Lil Debbie, Iggy, Brooke and all these other white girls out there doing it. But they're real. And the culture they represent is real. It doesn't deserve to be swept under the rug because you feel it's derivative.

Before I get the "you're ashamed of the black community" lecture, let me say that there is context that you miss from the outside looking in. I don't look at the dominant entertainment vehicle of a specific culture and assume that, for instance, all white people are like them Duck Dynasty folks, or them Honey Boo Boo folks. History tells us that black people aren't afforded that same consideration. I'd rather not like this ratchet shit be the only take away people have from "urban culture" just like "everyone" assumes black men are gangsters and thugs because of the "gangsta rap" explosion in the 90's.

I don't disagree with you here. I just don't feel that acknowledging the reality that black people don't get the same credit for black culture that white people get when they do it means that I can't like or vibe with white artists who dabble in "black culture". Especially if it comes from a real place for them. I can vibe with Lil Debbie because she's an example of a very real culture. Go to any hood this day and age and you will see a shit ton of white people just like her. Born in raised in urban/black culture. Not FULLY understanding it, but knowing nothing else.

That's an understatement of the century. That you can sit here and spout this drivel and at the same time condemn Beyonce and Jay Z as being damaging the the "black community" sounds a smidgen like hypocrisy. Beyonce want's to be white right? And that's bad, right? Or is it, Beyonce is fake trying to get that pop money? Or is she fake ratchet because she grew up in a well to do neighborhood? Miley didn't? I know you're irrational where Beyonce is concerned, but even you can see that you're talking out both sides of your mouth here.

I condemn Bey and Jay because they ARE black. They KNOW the history. They know the context. They're a part of it. What I see Bey and Jay do is active exploitation of black culture and people. They package black culture, present it to white people and say "Here Whitey, gobble this up so WE can get rich" all the while they do nothing to better blacks as a whole and are actually damaging to the culture, imo. And black people defend them because THEY'RE getting money, meanwhile Bey and Jay couldn't give a fuck about any of us. To me, that's a hell of a lot worse than anything fucking Miley Cyrus could do.

But, as stated previously, the difference from the girls you go in for and say, a JoJo is that JoJo doesn't seem to be play acting with her R&B influences. She seems to be invested in her craft and doesn't come off like a... Christina Aguilera, someone who, it seems, was told her once that she should sing like a black girl because it works for her voice. Sometimes it works, but mostly she sounds like she's singing the way she thinks black people sing (Mariah is guilty of this too.) These young ladies might be the most well intentioned and most invested in their art, but they don't come off as they've done the research and perfected that "it" that makes "good ratchet music" rise above what's already out there. I'm all for appropriation when its done right. if you're going to twerk, do it right. If you're going to drop some bars, do it right. You might think Miley is fully vested in this urban shit, ok... You might think random pale rapstress is spitting that hot fire, I question whether you actually listen to rap. If you like listening to "bad music" for the kii (I did that when I was 15) then ok.

You don't have to like Xtina, but you will NOT go there.

I don't put Xtina on the same level as someone like Teena Marie--who actively lived and breathed black culture as though she were black herself, and earned that hood pass. But that being said, Xtina has more than proven her own level of legitimacy. She has received the blessing of black legends. She was performing black music and paying respect to black artists well before she even entered the Pop machine.

I shade Azealia for her utter lack of hustle and common sense. That's it.

I can get with that. And for the record, I take all shade seriously. That's why I think the lot of you are loco. :)

And did you just call Timberlake a white membr of Dru Hill? Ch...ok. He ain't got that much soul tho.

I wish I could find the video of Nsync on TRL back in the day. They were coming back from Sisqo's Thong Song (this is back when they started cutting the video's 2/3's of the way through the song) anyway they cut back to the studio and JT must have been getting his life, he was doing that background vocals to the Thong Song and SLAYING it. That lil boy had soul and you can't tell me otherwise.

It doesn't deserve to be swept under the rug because you feel it's derivative.

It's not JUST that it's derivative, its mediocre, middling. Not befitting to be named beside the genre it mocks.

Go to any hood this day and age and you will see a shit ton of white people just like her. Born in raised in urban/black culture. Not FULLY understanding it, but knowing nothing else.

How hard is it? I've known some down ass white folk in my time, and it wasn't that hard to gain understanding. What's the Paul Mooney quote, "Everybody wants to be a nigga, but nobody wants to BE a nigga," I can't get with the in it, but not of it, but let me profit off of it right quick mentality at all. If you're gonna do it, at least put in a little effort to come correct. That's all I'm saying. If you can listen to these put on accents and come away with a sense of authenticity, then you are a better man than I. Iggy and her ilk are the auditory equivalent of
iolKBEtCmTLqb.jpg

to me.
They package black culture, present it to white people and say "Here Whitey, gobble this up so WE can get rich"

Um... What are Iggy & Co. doing that's different? I think it's actually worse to come to some shit without the proper understanding of what makes it what it is, without the necessary chops to deliver it convincingly. I'd take Iggy a touch more serious if she could:
a) rap convincingly
b) rap in her normal voice (I cackled heartily when she couldn't hear herself in her monitor on that show and she had to default to her normal voice for a second)
c) deflate her ass and stop jiggling it around sans rhythm.

Roy, imma be honest here and say that you strike me as one of those "The white mans water is better," types and I desperately need you to change my mind on that.

all the while they do nothing to better blacks as a whole and are actually damaging to the culture, imo. And black people defend them because THEY'RE getting money,

Boy stop.
(it's about to be a girl fight)
I'm never going to understand your issue with Beyonce and Jay Z if you don't stop using these buzz phrases. Bey and Jay are no more damaging to the culture than Lil Wayne or Nicki Minaj or the Housewives of Atlanta, or that tired ass, simp ass, sloppy bottom Drake
(he ain't even from here!)
. You stay mad and keep obfuscating your issue though.

She has received the blessing of black legends.
Is that all it takes? Aight then.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
VEVO 24 Hour Views

1. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball: 19.3M
2. Shakira f/ Rihanna - Can't Remember to Forget You: 17.1M
3. Nicki Minaj - Anaconda: 14M (currently)
4. One Direction - Story of My Life: 12.5M
5. One Direction - Best Song Ever: 12.3M

I would like to think I helped Minajesty achieved this new record of hers

tumblr_minaiqbMHj1rex7k8o1_400.gif

royalan

Roy, imma be honest here and say that you strike me as one of those "The white mans water is better," types and I desperately need you to change my mind on that.

What!?

HOLD the prepaid phone.

It is not MY fault that you are never paying attention to my posts when I'm stanning black artists. But the second I compliment a white chick, here you come. You STILL haven't listened to JunglePussy's mixtape like I asked, have you?

For the record, there are "ratchet" white chicks I DON'T stan. I just like ratchet culture. Period. What does it say about you that you seem to think that "ratchet" culture can only be black? Hmm?

cory64

VEVO 24 Hour Views

1. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball: 19.3M
2. Shakira f/ Rihanna - Can't Remember to Forget You: 17.1M
3. Nicki Minaj - Anaconda: 14M (currently)
4. One Direction - Story of My Life: 12.5M
5. One Direction - Best Song Ever: 12.3M

I would like to think I helped Minajesty achieved this new record of hers

tumblr_minaiqbMHj1rex7k8o1_400.gif
omg Yaaaas Bish

The queen her iconic videos

omg Yaaaas Bish

The queen her iconic videos

That top 5 though.... God I feel so out of touch these days. lol

How hard is it? I've known some down ass white folk in my time, and it wasn't that hard to gain understanding. What's the Paul Mooney quote, "Everybody wants to be a nigga, but nobody wants to BE a nigga," I can't get with the in it, but not of it, but let me profit off of it right quick mentality at all. If you're gonna do it, at least put in a little effort to come correct. That's all I'm saying. If you can listen to these put on accents and come away with a sense of authenticity, then you are a better man than I. Iggy and her ilk are the auditory equivalent of
iolKBEtCmTLqb.jpg

to me.

This this this this. They wanna use the animated characteristics of black culture that they find entertaining or edgy but don't embrace any other characteristics that come with identifying as a member of black culture. Iggy Gazelle and her kin make me squirm because of it. It's so easy to just say "I'm a part of that culture" or that you identify with it like Iggy probably does but if I really wanted the brand that she's selling I would go for someone that's fully immersed in that culture or who can better vouch for all the subtexts and undercurrents that come with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom