• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cory64

I'm shocked Cory. No one ever mentions It. That's my jam. I don't care for Strange Relationship, however. I would put ICNTTPOYM, especially the version from the movie, in its place.
It is everything, E V E R Y T H I N G.

ICNTTPOYM doesn't really do anything for me, it's too rock.

This thread has me listening to Prince now on Spotify. I'm being brought back to my childhood when I used to watch Vh1 and they would play the old music videos from the 80's.

I never meant to cause you any sorrow
I never meant to cause you any pain
I only wanted to one time see you laughing
I only wanted to see you laughing in the purple rain

iHpnNuSwHxiEt.gif

royalan

Anybody who learned about Prince through American Idol literally has no right to an opinion on him and his music.

Also, I THOUGHT this shot looked familiar...

mLoNQ7f.jpg

Touchdown

Banned
When photoshoots are similar it's usually just because they used the same photographer as the artists themselves really don't know or keep track of other artists previous photoshoots. Same goes for clothing, artists using the same fashion designers that give the same look to different artists. I've always wondered though if the designers/photographers are sometimes trolling or not in terms of trying to copy a previous look.

20323_beyonce_mariah_jpg21e730b8dbd7bc9d438f46a2de0891cf

RubyFaith

Still talking about the stingy troll under the bridge who won't allow his music on Youtube? Kiss was good but Prince's discography in general puts me to sleep. Sorry not sorry.
GPKXRO.gif

I live for the first 6 seconds of I Wonder U
The transition from I Wonder U to Under The Cherry Moon is life giving.
Purple Rain is one of the greatest songs in american music history tbh.
It's aight.
Still talking about the stingy troll under the bridge who won't allow his music on Youtube? Kiss was good but Prince's discography in general puts me to sleep. Sorry not sorry.
Lol.
Adore U is my favorite Prince song.

I love the Alicia Keys cover, too.

I'm unfamiliar with this song or its resultant cover. Would you, perhaps, be referring to How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore? I don't recall Alicia OffKeys covering anything else.

cory64

Still don't understand why Beyoncga didn't put SOTS and GW audio on ha album

I'm expecting a special edition in a few months with a completely different tracklist like 4 had.
SOTS Final Mix+ is really fucking great and it's a shame that only a fraction of the masses that bought her album will hear it.

MIMIC

Banned
I mistook this thread for the PoliGAF thread and was like, "Holy fuck?! 5K replies already? Did Lady Gaga have an abortion on stage or something?"

Anyway, since I'm here: sometimes I don't get into songs until long after they've peaked in popularity, but I can't stop playing "Drunk in Love", "Summertime Sadness", "Do What You Want" and "Clarity".

I had always heard of Lana Del Rey but never heard of her songs. My interests have been piqued :)

3phemeral

I mistook this thread for the PoliGAF thread and was like, "Holy fuck?! 5K replies already? Did Lady Gaga have an abortion on stage or something?"

Anyway, since I'm here: sometimes I don't get into songs until long after they've peaked in popularity, but I can't stop playing "Drunk in Love", "Summertime Sadness", "Do What You Want" and "Clarity".

I had always heard of Lana Del Rey but never heard of her songs. My interests have been piqued :)

Start with this:

Blue Jeans (Penguin Prison Remix)

Then try this:

Ride

At least, that's how I started when everything else people were talking about didn't click with me. And Ride, I wasn't feeling it in the beginning, but towards the climax I fell in love with it.

God Standing On The Sun is just so bad. Even that great instrumental can't save it. That weird alien noise during the chorus is awful given the beachy vibe it's supposed to exude. That rap portion could have been great if her riffing actually synchronized with the music too, lol

Ties

Banned
God Standing On The Sun is just so bad. Even that great instrumental can't save it. That weird alien noise during the chorus is awful given the beachy vibe it's supposed to exude. That rap portion could have been great if her riffing actually synchronized with the music too, lol
pls no

iblPyuwlI4D0j1.gif

Trigger

The song shits. Let ha in Soul sis.

i5RfZzAIhFOg5.gif

Styles

Wind in my hair, you were there, you remember it all
Down the stairs, you were there, you remember it all
It was rare, I was there, I remember it all too well

orangoutanmmspt.jpg

So I come back from a concert to a new OT and a Gaga video. Sweet.

I got on national TV at the concert and I was screaming like a pterodactyl

Oooh at that Lana Del Rey snippet. :)

It'll be hard to top her Born To Die albums, but that snippet is promising. It gives me Last Shadow Puppets + Nancy Sinatra vibes (60s poprock with string instruments).

And ew at all the Prince talk. I've honestly never liked his music. I'm not a fan of 80s music in general, but the other two icons (Madonna and MJ) have songs from that time period that I appreciate. Prince however, ... I don't get it. When Doves Cry is supposed to be a masterpiece, but to me it sounds like a monotomous mess.

Vazduh

And ew at all the Prince talk. I've honestly never liked his music. I'm not a fan of 80s music in general, but the other two icons (Madonna and MJ) have songs from that time period that I appreciate. Prince however, ... I don't get it. When Doves Cry is supposed to be a masterpiece, but to me it sounds like a monotomous mess.

I understand what you say, I was also like that until maybe four or five years ago when I blind-bought his The Hits/The B-sides boxset on a sale. It took me a few listens until it clicked, and since then I've come to love most of his early stuff such as Dirty Mind, Controversy, Sign of the Times. He was crazy good back then.

My favorite Prince song would have to be Darling Nikki. It's filthy, raw, funky, and it's got that manic energy which is missing in his newer songs.

I also love-love-love the stuff he did for other artists, such as the Vanity 6 album, the songs he did for Martika, The Bangles etc.

However, most of the music he released from the 90s onward has been disappointing, save for the few exceptions like Black Sweat (which nearly out-Neptuned the Neptunes). Because of that it's hard to be a Prince fan nowadays, even without taking into account his homophobic statements which are just disappointing.

royalan

I think some people nowadays who are introduced to Prince's music tend to not like him because his reputation (and biggest hits) make him seem like more of a Pop artist than he really was.

The man was pure Funk/Rock/Soul.

Vazduh

I think some people nowadays who are introduced to Prince's music tend to not like him because his reputation (and biggest hits) make him seem like more of a Pop artist than he really was.

The man was pure Funk/Rock/Soul.

True. Some of his biggest hits are quite accessible and very "pop" (The Most Beautiful Girl In The World, I Would Die 4 U, Diamonds and Pearls, Little Red Corvette etc.), but most of his catalogue is what you said: funk, rock and soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom