• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

kS77Irs.png

Nemesis_

Production is fantastic, as per. Not sure about the song though. Is the effect on her voice because of it being a radio rip or is that a purposeful alteration?

I hate the tempo change :( She sounds like she's just mumbling :/

Partition

Banned
The verses are decent a bit, but the chorus has such a stencH that it really brings down whatever ounce of potential the track had.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Production is fantastic, as per. Not sure about the song though. Is the effect on her voice because of it being a radio rip or is that a purposeful alteration?

I hate the tempo change :( She sounds like she's just mumbling :/

Thats the styling of the song.

Conflicted!!!!!!!

:( On the one hand...

- I'm not really convinced by the song
- It doesn't even touch the feet of godlike songs like Off to the Races
- It's a departure from the fully orchestrated songs she usually does

:) On the other hand...

- The song, just like any of her other songs, is just quality, classy as fuck, and effortless
- I'm glad it's not exactly like her Born To Die stuff, even though I adore that album

The song was destined to disappoint, because my expectations were sky high, and I probably won't use the song, yet I'm fine with this sound being the direction of the Ultraviolence album.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Ethereal. Celestial. Sublime.
The Dalai Lana swooping in and putting the other girls to rest. Living for the tempo changes

Tokubetsu

She should just take out the (audio) part of the title on YT and let that be the video. She won't top it. Already perfect.

*hits replay for the fifteenth time*

Vazduh

Even with the tempo change and less theatrical production it's very much a LDR song, no surprises there. It's definitely a grower, but I like it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Stefan™;108098694 said:
The production is FIRE

I'm pole dancing in my head while listening to it.

Down on the West Coast, they got a sayin'
If your not drinkin' then your not playin'
but you've got the music
you've got the music in you, don't you?

Down on the West Coast I get this feeling like
It all could happen that's why im leaving
you for the moment
you for the moment boy blue, yeah you

You fought hard on the shore, I'm feeling hot to the touch
You say you'll miss me alot I say i'll miss you so much
Something keeps me really high I'm alive, I'm alush
your love, your love, your love

[Chorus 1]
I can see my baby swinging
His Parliaments on fire and his hands are up
On the balcony and I'm singing
Ooh baby, Ooh baby, I'm in love

[Chorus 2]
I can see my sweet boy swayin'
He's crazy y cubano como yo my love
On the balcony and I'm saying
Move baby, move baby, I'm in love

I'm in love, I'm in love

Down on the West Coast, they got their icons
Their silver starlights, their Queens of Saigon
But you've got the music

Down on the West Coast they love their movies
Their golden dozen, Rock n' Roll groupies
But you've got the music

You push it hard I pull away, I'm feeling hot and on fire
I guess no one ever really made me feel that much higher
They say you got it all, boy it's you I desire
Your love, your love, your love

[Chorus 1] (x2)

[Chorus 2] (x2)

SaintZ

Bitch I have an 11 hour work day ahead of me 😑

I loved it. The production is amazing and I wonder if Dan or Emil did it. It does feel like an evolution of her older stuff.

The only part that's weird is the tempo change, I agree.

Now back to sleep, i hope this is up on iTunes by the time I wake up.

Nemesis_

Bitch I have an 11 hour work day ahead of me 😑

I loved it. The production is amazing and I wonder if Dan or Emil did it. It does feel like an evolution of her older stuff.

The only part that's weird is the tempo change, I agree.

Now back to sleep, i hope this is up on iTunes by the time I wake up.

It was recorded in Nashville which was where her and Dan Auerbach were rumoured to be working together previously so I assume this was him. Unless you're talking about the other Dan. >_>

SaintZ

I was talking about Dan Auberbach, yes. After this I'm so perched for his other stuff. Bless this holy union of talent.

And I can't sleep, I have West Coast in my head :weeps:

Vitanimus

It gets better with every listen. ;______; On initial hearing it feels like she's mumbling but it just adds to the texture and atmosphere of the track and now I am so HYPED FOR ULTRAVIOLENCE ASOJHDSOIHFD

Vazduh

That was... unexpected.

Btw, his new song "Don't" is apparently about Ellie GOulDing.

I met this girl late last year
She said, 'Don't you worry if I disappear'
I told her, 'I'm not really looking for another mistake'
Called an old friend thinking that the trouble would wait
But then I jump right in
A week later return
I reckon she was only looking for a lover to burn

Ellie just keeps slaying, whether with her voice or her almighty snatch.

ibyF8yuc9xBRsu.gif

West Coast is everything I hoped it would be! I love songs that feel like the craftsmanship was handled on a microscopic level, but in its final form retains this larger-than-life kind of ambience. The production in Lana's songs are some of the best in the business because it's always meant to be a vehicle driving a narrative, rather than something that's meant to be appreciated on its own (though you can still appreciate it as an isolated piece of art if you'd like).

This song sounds so cinematic; like Ride, I feel like I can visualize a storyline immediately when I listen to it. The vocal harmonies are angelic as fuck, and I love the unexpected but seamless transitions in and out of the chorus. Totally an adventure. The beautiful acapella at the end just makes me wish for a longer outro or something, just because it's such a beautiful vocal synth.

I can tell that she's maturing lyrically, though most of this song still retains her lyrical dynamic of half colloquialisms and half elegant imagery. She makes me connect with her songs so easily because of that (and name-dropping familiar motifs like Queen of Saigon is awesome IMO).

I'll need to listen to this song a few more times to really take it all in, but as of now I'm super fucking stoked for Ultraviolence. Lead singles are almost never a proper indication of the album's brand, but at least I can expect a moderate step forward thematically while also keeping those qualities that made Born To Die and Paradise so magical. Slay lots, Lana.

Nemesis_

Rick Nowells wrote West Coast with Lana. Dan Auerbach produced.

Lana says

“The record is finished and it’s beautiful – it’s so wrong and exquisite. It is absolutely gorgeous – darker than the first.”

But West Coast does not officially release until May 18th.

Does this mean the album is ages away? :|

SaintZ

I thought Rick Nowells wasn't going to be involved after the Black Beauty/Angels leaked. And isn't May 18th the date for UK? They always release the songs late over there.

Lana says

Or it could mean she's releasing the single properly to coincide with the album release. She doesn't typically strategize her releases like major pop acts do.. she did say "May 1st" so I'm thinking it'll be out around then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom