• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Watching The House Bunny and the part they played Take a Bow by Rihanna. What a cute little bop by Rihanna.

Mumei

You've been coolin', baby, I've been droolin',
All the good times I've been misusin',
Way, way down inside, I'm gonna give you my love,
I'm gonna give you every inch of my love,
Gonna give you my love.

tumblr_loe90lQAqa1qb5tapo1_500.gif

Stan a bit.

Ugh...

It's Saturday...

And I'm bored....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9KSbkTjUkg

Mumei, Leona, Touchdown, 3phemeral ...

Do Battle!

Whitney, easily.

I could be wrong as I haven't watched a lot of Mariah's earlier performances recently, but I feel like Mariah's earlier performances lacked a lot of consistency in terms of control. I'm mostly certain that she kept improving up to the time she did her Tokyo Dome tour, especially with control of her whistle which only continued to get better further down the line prior to heavy vocal damage.

I've always felt that Whitney came out the gate nearly flawlessly impeccable and kept it that way for most her active career.

Mariah's America the Beautiful is absolutely flaw free, though.

Mm.

I think the issue Mariah had in her first few years was that she was trying to carry a bit too much weight up, so her sound wasn't as free. Just compare the high note here and here with this note, this note, and this note. Do you hear how there's less tension and she sounds more free? I think that's the difference you hear between her F5s and higher in 1990 and some 1991 performances, and Emotions or Music Box, and by Daydream she'd dropped more weight.

She's always had issues with nerves, too, which was particularly noticeable in that particular Grammy performance. A better Whitney-Mariah awards show performance comparison is their two best Grammy performances.

By the by, have you listened more about trills vs vibrato? :p

3phemeral

Stan a bit.

Whitney, easily.

Mm.

I think the issue Mariah had in her first few years was that she was trying to carry a bit too much weight up, so her sound wasn't as free. Just compare the high note here and here with this note, this note, and this note. Do you hear how there's less tension and she sounds more free? I think that's the difference you hear between her F5s and higher in 1990 and some 1991 performances, and Emotions or Music Box, and by Daydream she'd dropped more weight.

Totally hear it. More free but also started taking on a more girly quality.

She's always had issues with nerves, too, which was particularly noticeable in that particular Grammy performance. A better Whitney-Mariah awards show performance comparison is their two best Grammy performances.

By the by, have you listened more about trills vs vibrato? :p

I did. I watched a few Master Class sessions with Renee Fleming and I think in order for me to actually tell, I'd have to have a better sense of pitch since it seems to be something that oscillates between two specific notes versus a naturally occurring consequence of a supported, sustained note. I still can't hear it. =P

SaintZ

Im at a party and im drunk and i have to say that xtina should have released desnudate as a single tbh. Truly an amazing track and it would have saved the era #justice4bionic

Yes i danced to desnudate, we could pick the songs and my roomate selected that one

Vazduh

I just listened to a very good pop album by a Swedish band called NoNoNo.

qH9jss3.jpg

NoNoNo - Pumpin Blood
NoNoNo - Hungry Eyes

Seriously, how many great Swedish pop acts are there? It's insane.

I was listening to Cœur de pirate and her album Blonde, particularly Adieu and looked at her wiki page to find she's composing the soundtrack to Child of Light.

This is lovely! I'm going to have to listen to her albums.

My British Eyebrow kween. Love that song.

I listened to that Fountain song and her horrific screeching ruins it. The other 2014 song is much better.

You're talking about iamamiwhoami, right? I kind of see what you mean, there's a somewhat shrill tone to her voice when she hits the high notes, but it's not that bad, really. I still find the song great, and the video even better, although I find the part where she does an interpretative dance while dressed in a bubble wrap suit quite funny.
She's still a better dancer than me, tho. Two fucking left feet...

VZn3x70.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Oh I read that this afternoon
Apparently its the same technique Cher does to stay young

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Lanallah Del Slaysus Christ Hare Krishna Buddha Jehova is coming. Not a single weave/wig shall remain.
ca6c884ac33411e3b2fe0002c992f8bc_7.jpg

Bladenic

All of Lana's first singles are some of my favorite songs of hers: Video Games, Ride, and Young and Beautiful. I'm ready for the immense slayage and my repeat button is perched.

Vazduh

Less than a month away.

Is she releasing anything next month? I wanted to say that this era has been a mess, but I'm not even sure that I can call it an "era".

Also, listening to an a band called Ulysse who just released their debut EP U as in ULYSSE. Mostly electronic and kinda ambient. Wounds is the highlight I think if anyone wants to check it out!

I'm really enjoying this EP. Thank you for sharing :)

Ya'll bitches paying dust to:
ibaKwI2O2Tjn7C.png

Never!

7YGHJhP.jpg

:)

Vazduh

If anyone wants to listen to more Flop™ music, I made an April playlist of some jams I am listening to. :* If people like it I'll try add more and maybe do one once a month.

Hell, yeah! I'll gladly give it a listen first thing in the morning.

Almost bedtime for me. Before I crash, I have to share one of my favorite pop artists with all of you, hopefully it makes some of you check out his stuff. He's from Sweden and his name is Salem Al Fakir. You've probably have heard of him through his work with Avicii (he wrote, and if I remember correctly, sang on both "Hey Brother" and "You Make Me"), but he's also an accomplished singer and songwriter on his own.

My favorite album of his would be the second one, Astronaut, which was released in 2009, and it's the one I'd recommend the most because it's just so damn good.

44lABmv.jpg

Here's a few select tunes:

Salem Al Fakir - Astronaut
Salem Al Fakir - It's Only You (part II)
Salem Al Fakir - Cold Shower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom