• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

webrunner

Jasoco said:
They are. Much of the first and second chapter is beaten up original levels with new goals or ways to complete them. They're good for relearning the mechanics in a familiar environment before you get tossed into the new stuff.

They actually took the old models and destroyed them. So awesome.

And that's exactly what I said.

So BTW, what's the allowed time period for a new game before spoilers can be posted without needing a warning? I've always been curious.

I think it's not so much time as

1) is this the spoiler thread? If so, spoil away.
2) has the spoiler been put into the "zeitgeist" already, ie, it's been a while and everyone knows the stuff already. Like how rosebud was a sled.
3) is the spoiler in the promotional material, ie, that Cave Johnson is in the game and the new testing elements, If so, spoil away.
4) is it info on the prequel to this game? ie: GLaDOS is evil and she tries to kill you.

Otherwise, spoiler-tag it.

rhino4evr

Giolon said:
Well, I just beat Portal 2 (started on Sunday). I thought it had a great start, good first arc, veeeery weak middle, and a strong ending. As humorous as
Cave Johnson
is, I found
the entire Testing Sphere arc completely interminable. I just wanted it to end.
And dear god
Wheatley's
prattling got old.

I think ZP accurately summed up my feelings on the game. Portal 1 was a puzzle game with a story. Portal 2 is a story game with "hunt for the one tile that has a portable surface" puzzle thrown into it periodically. The first game was a much tighter, neater package, that felt like you could experiment within the confines of the levels to find your own solutions. Every puzzle in Portal 2 feels so over-designed and over-focus tested that it never feels like you've found a non-standard solution to any puzzle. I never really got that feeling from Portal 1 where I went "Well...I got through that one, but I'm pretty sure that's not how I was supposed to do it..."

Now, all this said, I haven't had a chance to find a fresh partner for the co-op campaign yet. It could change my mind, but as of right now, I'd give Portal 2 an 8, whereas Portal 1 was a 9.5 or even a 10.

I was highly amused by
GlaDOS being put into a potato
though.
I'm not sure I agree about portal 1 being better...but I can see what you are saying about the puzzles being more obvious.

I was kinda of surprised by the lack of turret puzzles...also the "ball" puzzles from the first Portal were much more difficult then bridge and laser puzzles.

I kept waiting for the "mega" puzzle that was multiple rooms and filled with all sorts of stuff...but that never really happened.

I would say that Portal 2 is definitely easier then portal 1 was for me. I really liked the story though..so it still outshines the original game to me.

However I haven't played the co op.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I've been resisting this since it's so short, but I think I'm going to grab it since it's $35. Maybe I should get around to playing the first one too. I got it off Steam when they were offering it for free but never played it.

Darkness said:
I've been resisting this since it's so short, but I think I'm going to grab it since it's $35. Maybe I should get around to playing the first one too. I got it off Steam when they were offering it for free but never played it.
I would say it's about today's standard length, first play through being between 7-8 hours. I bought at $55 on amazon and don't feel bad about it at all

Giolon said:
Well, I just beat Portal 2 (started on Sunday). I thought it had a great start, good first arc, veeeery weak middle, and a strong ending. As humorous as
Cave Johnson
is, I found
the entire Testing Sphere arc completely interminable. I just wanted it to end.
And dear god
Wheatley's
prattling got old.

I think ZP accurately summed up my feelings on the game. Portal 1 was a puzzle game with a story. Portal 2 is a story game with "hunt for the one tile that has a portable surface" puzzle thrown into it periodically. The first game was a much tighter, neater package, that felt like you could experiment within the confines of the levels to find your own solutions. Every puzzle in Portal 2 feels so over-designed and over-focus tested that it never feels like you've found a non-standard solution to any puzzle. I never really got that feeling from Portal 1 where I went "Well...I got through that one, but I'm pretty sure that's not how I was supposed to do it..."

Now, all this said, I haven't had a chance to find a fresh partner for the co-op campaign yet. It could change my mind, but as of right now, I'd give Portal 2 an 8, whereas Portal 1 was a 9.5 or even a 10.

I was highly amused by
GlaDOS being put into a potato
though.

You are wrong, Portal 2 is the pinnacle of game design. GOTY.

Giolon

Omotesando said:
You are wrong, Portal 2 is the pinnacle of game design. GOTY.
Nah uh, you're wrong! :eyeroll

How about we just don't make blanket statements of opinion as fact and back up our assertions, eh? No? No time to do that? You just want to toss out a random "you're wrong!" when you see something you disagree with and move on? Ok, I guess that's cool.

Giolon said:
Nah uh, you're wrong! :eyeroll

How about we just don't make blanket statements of opinion as fact and back up our assertions, eh? No? No time to do that? You just want to toss out a random "you're wrong!" when you see something you disagree with and move on? Ok, I guess that's cool.

Your statements are laughable, because Valve is god tier and Portal 2 is so good it is beyond criticism.

Meat and potatoes.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
He's probably just trolling ya Omotesando, for what it's worth I agree with some of the things you said bout the game.

Erudite

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I just caught this awesome poster on Giantbomb.
1776375-portalposter_super.jpg

Apparently going to be sold on the Steam Store within a couple of weeks.

jdogmoney

Actually, as fantastic as Portal 2 is, he does have a point. Portal 2 is a bit hand-hold-y. I only died a couple of times, and every time it was because I was laughing at the dialogue. For example, I died two or three times at
Aristotle vs. MASHY SPIKE PLATE
, but not because I didn't know what to do. It's actually impossible to
put the wrong portal at that point

I never died because my proposed solution was just that dumb.

(Co-op was a bit better in this regard.)

Giolon

Omotesando said:
Your statements are laughable, because Valve is god tier and Portal 2 is so good it is beyond criticism.

Meat and potatoes.

Your convincing argument has shown me the error of my ways. How can I join this fantasy-land?

Corky said:
He's probably just trolling ya Omotesando, for what it's worth I agree with some of the things you said bout the game.
You read what I wrote, then read what he wrote, and came to the conclusion that I'm the troll? Really? XD

Re: The poster - I'd like to have one of those!

Jasoco

Banned
webrunner said:
I think it's not so much time as

1) is this the spoiler thread? If so, spoil away.
2) has the spoiler been put into the "zeitgeist" already, ie, it's been a while and everyone knows the stuff already. Like how rosebud was a sled.
3) is the spoiler in the promotional material, ie, that Cave Johnson is in the game and the new testing elements, If so, spoil away.
4) is it info on the prequel to this game? ie: GLaDOS is evil and she tries to kill you.

Otherwise, spoiler-tag it.
I wasn't asking for the forum. I was more asking because I want to post quotes on FaceBook and Twitter without people saying "Wait, is that from Portal? Fuck you, I haven't played it yet!"

Also, Rosebud was a sled? Dammit! I haven't seen it yet!
:p

I figured there was a universal time period that would pass before it becomes okay to post about it. Like, "well the game's been out for a month/year/hour/season and you haven't gotten it yet, but too bad, I'm gonna spoil it!"

Giolon

Jasoco said:
I wasn't asking for the forum. I was more asking because I want to post quotes on FaceBook and Twitter without people saying "Wait, is that from Portal? Fuck you, I haven't played it yet!"

Also, Rosebud was a sled? Dammit! I haven't seen it yet!
:p

I figured there was a universal time period that would pass before it becomes okay to post about it. Like, "well the game's been out for a month/year/hour/season and you haven't gotten it yet, but too bad, I'm gonna spoil it!"
Well, considering that the game's been out for, what, 2? 3? weeks? We're more definitely not in the "clear" period yet. Plus, people who start posting quotes and shit all over the place are the ones who help drive the humor into the ground - like the cake jokes. Don't be a part of that >.>

Traced-Velocity said:
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I just caught this awesome poster on Giantbomb.
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/39/1776375-portalposter_super.jpg[/IM
Apparently going to be sold on the [URL="http://store.valvesoftware.com/index.php?t=3"][B]Steam Store[/B][/URL] within a couple of weeks.[/QUOTE]
Will buy if and when it becomes available.

Corky

Giolon said:
You read what I wrote, then read what he wrote, and came to the conclusion that I'm the troll? Really? XD
!

Uhm what? Are you for real?

Yes you are the troll , the guy had a fully formed well expressed opinion to which your pathetic rebuttal was a troglodytic "You are wrong, Portal 2 is the pinnacle of game design. GOTY."

But hey don't drag me into this I've had enough long before you even entered the thread :p

Giolon

Jasoco said:
Don't tell me what to do. I'm gonna
burn your house down with my combustable lemon!

T.T
I'll shove those lemons right back in your face!
See, I can play too!

Jasoco

Banned
BTW, did anyone else when they got to the
part in the game where Cave Johnson mentions time traveling yourselves, that at some point you were going to actually run into yourself or something?

I was slightly disappointed I didn't. Though I don't know how they'd pull it off anyway.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jasoco said:
So BTW, what's the allowed time period for a new game before spoilers can be posted without needing a warning? I've always been curious.

Certainly not now, so don't you dare fucking do it.

The PSN outage has kept me from activating my PC copy. D=

And keep your spoilers to the spoiler thread.

Keep in mind there are probably a lot of people who got the PS3 version assuming they could activate their PC version and play it that way, and would much rather wait then play it on PS3.

In no universe is 3 weeks a general threshold for spoilers.

Kimosabae

Banned
Corky said:
Uhm what? Are you for real?

Yes you are the troll , the guy had a fully formed well expressed opinion to which your pathetic rebuttal was a troglodytic "You are wrong, Portal 2 is the pinnacle of game design. GOTY."

But hey don't drag me into this I've had enough long before you even entered the thread :p

lol, how is everyone mixing these two guys up? Reread their interaction on the page, I think you're confused.

Firebrand

GillianSeed79 said:
Just to be clear, can you use the 360 windows pad with the PC version? I broke down today and picked it up for 30 bucks.
Yes, works very well. The game's interface switches to colorful 360 buttons etc if you press anything on the gamepad.

Corky

Kimosabae said:
lol, how is everyone mixing these two guys up? Reread their interaction on the page, I think you're confused.

Holy shit you're right, I don't know what's going on :(

goodnight

ElRenoRaven

Firebrand said:
Yes, works very well. The game's interface switches to colorful 360 buttons etc if you press anything on the gamepad.

Very cool to hear. I can't wait to give it a shot when I can redeem my code.

Giolon said:
I like you.

JWong said:
It's practically equivalent to the PC version.

My PC rig is high end and I can't even tell the difference.

Not exactly surprising as the pc version runs at 150-250 fps (min-max) on my 3 year old pc with 4xmsaa and 16xAF.

Valve are awesome, textures kind of suck though. (well the res, not the art)

Jasoco

Banned
Kimosabae said:
What? The game looks better on PS3???? NOOOOOOOOO!!!

:(
I got the Xbox version because I didn't have a PS3 and couldn't afford one at the time. I'll get a Mac version in the future when it goes on sale for cheap. I do wish I had just sucked it up and waited to get a PS3, but oh well now. Too late for me to return it. I mean I could sell it used, then buy the PS3 and Portal 2 and get my Steam copy.... Hmm.... I mean I already got all the single player achievements... soo....

Four_Chamber said:
Co-op is freakin amazing

<= 360 version. I need to buy Orange Box to play the first one now. Yes, I didn't play the original Portal :(

Portal + Extra Maps is available on XBLA for 1200pts if you don't want the Orange Box.

Of course you wouldn't want 4 other games for an extra $5 is baffling to me, but the option is there at least.

Kimosabae

Banned
Jasoco said:
I got the Xbox version because I didn't have a PS3 and couldn't afford one at the time. I'll get a Mac version in the future when it goes on sale for cheap. I do wish I had just sucked it up and waited to get a PS3, but oh well now. Too late for me to return it. I mean I could sell it used, then buy the PS3 and Portal 2 and get my Steam copy.... Hmm.... I mean I already got all the single player achievements... soo....

Is there a comparison vid or something? Is the difference noticeable? I'm definitely a graphics whore, and if it's worth the trouble, I may do something similar.

epmode

Giolon said:
I think ZP accurately summed up my feelings on the game. Portal 1 was a puzzle game with a story. Portal 2 is a story game with "hunt for the one tile that has a portable surface" puzzle thrown into it periodically.
In spite of how much I love this game, this is very true.

Jasoco

Banned
Kimosabae said:
Is there a comparison vid or something? Is the difference noticeable? I'm definitely a graphics whore, and if it's worth the trouble, I may do something similar.
I don't even notice any graphical problems. I think they're stupid. I was more concerned about the free copy you get for the PC/Mac if you get the PS3 version. So I could play it no matter what. Plus my Xbox is loud as hell.

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
Anyone know if the game ever mentions Wheatley's name? It seems really weird that Valve just assumes that everyone followed the previews.

Kimosabae said:
If you're a graphics whore I'd say the difference is fairly noticeable. See here. Mainly the PS3 version is crisper and the colors are less washed out.

blamite

cornontheCoD said:
Anyone know if the game ever mentions Wheatley's name? It seems really weird that Valve just assumes that everyone followed the previews.
He refers to himself as Wheatley when
you put him into Glados's body
, and it's also alluded to by
the Wheatley Laboratories loading screens,
but other than those I don'tthink it's directly stated, which I did find a little strange.

cornontheCoD said:
Does anyone remember if Portal 1 ever mention GLaDOS's name?

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
QuantumBro said:
Does anyone remember if Portal 1 ever mention GLaDOS's name?

Yeah, now that reminds me...after playing through Portal 1, I remember being confused as to how people knew her name.

blamite said:
and it's also alluded to by
the Wheatley Laboratories loading screens,
but other than those I don'tthink it's directly stated, which I did find a little strange.

Yeah, that's actually what got me thinking about it. I can't imagine what it would be like to have not followed the previews and
that loading screen pops up. I imagine that many people were confused as to why it would be changed to Wheatley laboratories.
It's even stranger, given the fact that it is a mass-market game, so many of the players aren't going to have followed previews.

Also, the door texture with the Portal logo on it. It has been bugging me since the early previews. Why does it look so awkward?

Top Bottom