• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

webrunner

jambo said:
Available November 2012, Valve are proud to present "3." A box set containing Half-Life 3, Portal 3 and Left 4 Dead 3.

;)

Also: Team Fortress 3, Half-Life 2 Episode 3, DotA 3, and.. um.. Counter Strike: Condition Three

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
jambo said:
Available November 2012, Valve are proud to present "3." A box set containing Half-Life 3, Portal 3 and Left 4 Dead 3.

;)

Who cares about that, when is Valve going to finally get Half Life 4 out.

jambo

purnoman3000 said:
Picked this game up recently and just started playing today. I'm really enjoying it but what is with the load times?

Most likely it's a constraint of the Source Engine bsp file format.

Cipherr

lazybones18 said:
http://kotaku.com/5802908/portal-2-finds-a-way-to-offend

Yeah it's Kotaku, but only link I could find to the video (which also takes place in part of the game I haven't reached yet >_>)

"It literally pokes fun for not having parents," he says, seeming to choke up in WBTV's news broadcast. He played the PlayStation 3 version of Portal 2 with his kids, but stopped when the adoption jokes kicked in. "It throws the ultimate question that that child is ever going to have for you... and it just throws it right in the living room."

Yeah....... Ok then Valve, you know what to do. ;-)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
lazybones18 said:
Yeah it's Kotaku, but only link I could find to the video (which also takes place in part of the game I haven't reached yet >_>)
Should probably spoiler mark it for other people who haven't gotten that far. Since the part in question doesn't happen until after a certain event.

BeeDog

Just finished the co-op campaign with fellow GAF'er Interstellar. Damn, it was great! The puzzles were definitely harder than the ones found in the single-player campaign, but it was great to see that they weren't focusing on reflexes. Good shit.

BeeDog said:
Just finished the co-op campaign with fellow GAF'er Interstellar. Damn, it was great! The puzzles were definitely harder than the ones found in the single-player campaign, but it was great to see that they weren't focusing on reflexes. Good shit.

Totally. The puzzle where you
both launch really fast through respective portals and stop each other by colliding in mid air
actually made me go 'Ohhh!' in appreciative awe :lol

Hex

Banned
Anyone else crash as soon as you boot the game on Steam?
Finally got it hooked up via PSN and can not even play.

Zzoram

I had Portal 2 on my Wishlist, then redeemed a retail Steam key (best buy had it for $29.99) and it's still on my Wishlist. Is Steam being confused?

Just played Portal 2 for the first time and finished in one sitting. I know this has probably been said before, but goddamn were the puzzles so ingeniously designed. I can't count how many times I finished a puzzle and said to myself "Holy shit... that was really clever."

Finished this game yesterday. What an amazing ride.
The puzzles are great.

Game made me smile and made me think i was smart. So basicly playing this game makes you feel really good.

The co-op in this game is freakin incredible. Totally made up for some of the lack of challenge in the single player.

The
sliding box
puzzle and one Mister_Bubbles mentioned a few posts back were ingenious. Such an awesome feeling of satisfaction when you solve them. It was also hilarious playing it with randoms, where both of us were without headsets, and trying to communicate what to do through the emotes and icons.

webrunner

Saty said:
Was this posted? A guy solves most of the Co-Op puzzles by himself, and mostly w\o glitches:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6gQu9Q7dE

Valve fail at thinking with portals. I remember them saying that every puzzle that was solvable by 2 portals was thrown out. Thinking with portals is hard.

That reminded me, the "Juggling test" thing, me and my fiancee spent like 5 minutes trying to get all the balls in the air before we decided that maybe this wasn't going to give us anything.

LQX

Just finished after some 10 hours. Amazing experience and I even think it made me smarter.

Also I don't see much talk about the fact you can play Super 8. Clever marketing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
LQX said:
Just finished after some 10 hours. Amazing experience and I even think it made me smarter.

Also I don't see much talk about the fact you can play Super 8. Clever marketing.

Yeah, i didn't even know about Super 8 before playing the "teaser", and after that i watched the trailer and want to see the movie now.

Thank Valve for another movie ticket Spielberg!

Willeth

Dr Zhivago said:
Using noclip = lame. Getting both players to the exit is the point of the co-op puzzles.
The only noclip used is to get through the doors. The rest are exploits that are doable without any console commands or mods.

_Isaac

Man, this game didn't give me my trophies/steam achievements. I passed the co-op campaign, and I didn't get any of the appropriate achievements (For completing stage 4, 5 etc.) I guess that's what happens when you go back and forth between the ps3 and pc version.

Spwn

Completed the co-op twice now on PS3. Any new players want to help me get Professor Portal achievement this weekend? :) And I noticed I'm not able to add a player on my Steam or PS3 friends list or am I just missing something?

_Isaac said:
Man, this game didn't give me my trophies/steam achievements. I passed the co-op campaign, and I didn't get any of the appropriate achievements (For completing stage 4, 5 etc.) I guess that's what happens when you go back and forth between the ps3 and pc version.

Did you note that unlocking achievements on the PC version does not unlock PS3 trophies because Sony doesn't allow that? It should work the other way around, though.

Willeth

Dr Zhivago said:
By only getting one player to the exit he's only doing half the puzzle.
Not in all cases. Yeah, in a lot of cases the difficulty was getting both players to the exit, but in just as many it was getting one player to a place where they can simply portal the other over.

Foxix Von

Started the ps3 version and then finally got around to trying to get caught up in the PC version. Really digging it, the only issue I've been having is that for some reason almost every time a line of dialog audio plays the game/audio will stutter when it starts playing. Anyone know what could be up with that?

BeeDog

While replaying some of the single-player chapters today, I realized something; while the Source engine lacks some of the bling more contemporary engines provide, this engine still provides some of the most clean and realistic rendering out of all game engines, compared to, let's say, the Assassin's Creed 2 games (which have some very strange renderers). The IQ, especially for a console game, is tremendous, and the dynamic lighting (when it's active) looks fantastic. Only minor niggles (like no self-shadowing in first person) detract, but otherwise, I still love this engine. Though Valve really need to start using new sound banks; it's sad to hear the same sound samples again and again and again and again in their games.

mantidor

So I finished the game and it was amazing, all the complains are just nitpicking honestly, is a puzzle game, you are not going to get any other puzzle game with this scope an quality. The puzzles/tests had the perfect difficulty for me, I got stuck maybe in a couple for a few minutes, so they were easy but that's not something bad at all, why would people want to get stuck for hours in a puzzle? really? the puzzles weren't exactly dumb either.

Overall I was really impressed with the game and I 'm looking forward to try the coop some time.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
PjotrStroganov said:
I got stuck a few times simply because I was thinking to much instead of using some of the most basic techniques.
Heh. Same, both in SP and co-op. My mind was blown a few times by how simple the intended solution actually was.

Amazing game, anyway. I plat'd it a few days ago, after PSN was finally restored. Clever puzzles, amazing dialogue and the sort of humor I personally love. GOTY for me so far.

Top Bottom