• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just beat the SP, omg the game was too good. Maybe one of my all time favorites. Will need to co-op later.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Finished off SP just a few minutes ago. Basically played through rhe second half of the game today.

Sooooo good.

The constant loading is the ONLY negative in what is otherwise a perfect game.

And I still have all the co-op to get into!

Wario64 said:
Just beat the SP, omg the game was too good. Maybe one of my all time favorites. Will need to co-op later.

My roommate and I felt the same way after we each played it.

Easily one of the best endings ever too.

Finished last night, told myself I wouldnt go online for anything, Im not the best at puzzlers but managed to complete it, awesome, a couple test had me scratching my head for awhile but took a deep breath on those and analyzed everything slowly, never played the first Portal, going to give that a go in a few days, is it harder then this one?

jarosh

finished co-op last night.

the co-op puzzles definitely get more difficult and elaborate than the sp ones. i dug that. makes sense too, because it encourages you to talk about them with your partner and exchange ideas etc. that also allowed for some really fun timing and momentum based puzzles which would have been too frustrating in sp, but totally worked in co-op because one person can focus on the mechanical and the other one on the timing part. good stuff.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
dreamer3kx said:
Finished last night, told myself I wouldnt go online for anything, Im not the best at puzzlers but managed to complete it, awesome, a couple test had me scratching my head for awhile but took a deep breath on those and analyzed everything slowly, never played the first Portal, going to give that a go in a few days, is it harder then this one?

Why didn't you play it before 2? And no, it's not harder.

storl026

dreamer3kx said:

It's not harder, but there are a lot more places to put the portals and a lot more skill shots/speed shots toward the end.

Mrbob

Cross Platform play looks to be working well. I started co op last night with Dmczaf. I'm playing on PC and he is on PS3 and there were no problems. Voice chat worked well too until his battery died!

1-D_FTW

Mrbob said:
Cross Platform play looks to be working well. I started co op last night with Dmczaf. I'm playing on PC and he is on PS3 and there were no problems. Voice chat worked well too until his battery died!

Yeah. I'm playing on PC with a real life friend who's on PS3. Such an amazing game. Single-player has the incredible story and great gameplay, then you go into co-op and it's too fun having to work together to solve these. Have most of world 5 to play yet. Going to savor it.

just played through the co-op with my chum, insane game. the best co-op game i've ever played.

we played system link right next to each other.. this is the way to do it. kept confusion to a minimum.

can't wait to dig into single player.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
blame space said:
just played through the co-op with my chum, insane game. the best co-op game i've ever played.

we played system link right next to each other.. this is the way to do it. kept confusion to a minimum.

can't wait to dig into single player.
Yeah, my brother and I wrapped up chapters 4 and 5 now that I'm home for a few weeks. Playing in the same room made everything about ten times more awesome. I really can't see how we would have beaten the puzzle where
you have to burn the turrets with the laser cube in mid-air
otherwise.

Oh, and we're pretty sure we sequence broke the game on about three puzzles.

The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, my brother and I wrapped up chapters 4 and 5 now that I'm home for a few weeks. Playing in the same room made everything about ten times more awesome. I really can't see how we would have beaten the puzzle where
you have to burn the turrets with the laser cube in mid-air
otherwise.

Oh, and we're pretty sure we sequence broke the game on about three puzzles.

that level was insane

we both had the biggest shit-eating grins on our faces when everything finally clicked and we knew what we had to do

h3ro

So I just started playing the game, loving it so far!

Just got to Chapter 2. I have a question regarding something I found in one of the test chambers in this chapter.

What am I supposed to do with the radio? Is there a specific place I have to take it or place it? The song playing is boss.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
blame space said:
that level was insane

we both had the biggest shit-eating grins on our faces when everything finally clicked and we knew what we had to do
It definitely took timing. The solution that we went with was
orange portals themselves onto the launch ramp. Blue puts portals under the dispenser, and onto the diagonal plate and then orange runs off the ramp and catches the dropped cube in mid-air before it hits the emancipation grill. While orange is in mid-air, blue has to change the portal under the dispenser to one of the plates down below, and then once orange is through and flying upwards change the other portal to the second plate

Sound about right?

MercuryLS

Banned
Should I get this on 360 or PS3? Does this game use the triggers or shoulder buttons on PS3? How do they compare performance wise? Do people use headsets on PS3?

StuBurns

Banned
MercuryLS said:
Should I get this on 360 or PS3? Does this game use the triggers or shoulder buttons on PS3? How do they compare performance wise? Do people use headsets on PS3?
PS3
Shoulder buttons (but you can remap).
PS3 version is better in performance and image quality.
That depends on the person.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
h3ro said:

Just got to Chapter 2. I have a question regarding something I found in one of the test chambers in this chapter.

What am I supposed to do with the radio? Is there a specific place I have to take it or place it? The song playing is boss.
There's an
achievement for finding a secret message on a denn. It's hidden somewhere in that test chamber where all the trash is thrown out (specifically where you place the portals so that the trash can reach you). You have to portal your way in a hidden room with the radio with you so you can see the secret message.

Red UFO

Was anybody else disappointed with the sparse number of Commentary nodes in the commentary mode?

h3ro said:

I was wondering this myself actually (also, the song is Exile Vilify by The National).

EDIT: ^Thanks!

Red UFO said:
Was anybody else disappointed with the sparse number of Commentary nodes in the commentary mode?
I almost thought of doing a playthrough just to count and label the locations I wished had commentary nodes but didn't have them.

The_Technomancer said:
orange portals themselves onto the launch ramp. Blue puts portals under the dispenser, and onto the diagonal plate and then orange runs off the ramp and catches the dropped cube in mid-air before it hits the emancipation grill. While orange is in mid-air, blue has to change the portal under the dispenser to one of the plates down below, and then once orange is through and flying upwards change the other portal to the second plate

Sound about right?

haha i think so

the use of spoiler tags is cracking me up

Crap, think I might have screwed something up. I was going to link my brother's PSN account to his Steam account so we could play co-op, but when the Steam overlay came up I accidentally hit "Create a new account" instead of "Use an existing Steam account," so it just created a new half-Steam account. Is there any way to undo that so we can link to his real Steam account?

n/m, googling shows I need to contact Steam support.

The_Technomancer said:

Sound about right?

Funny thing that it took some time for us (me and my brother) to come to the conclusion that
letting the cube come out of the side ramp didn't work out.
I bet we tried at least 10 times before it clicked.

Also loved the
collide-in-mid-air-to-finish-the-level-puzzle.

Arjen

So i finished this yesteray, and honestly i liked portal 1 better.
I loved the characters, the humor (i laughed a lot out loud) but i enjoyed the puzzles in Portal 1 way more.

No story spoiler, but regarding the levels, so just in case

What i liked about the original portal, was the non stop amount of test chambers, i wasn't in it for the story, i was in it for the puzzles. Sure, Portal 2 had a good amount of that, but what i disliked were the setpieces in between test chamber, which weren't really puzzles but more a "stare in the distances and find a white spot to put a portal"
Although i liked the new edition of gels etc. i thought there were to many chambers wasted on introducing al the new stuff, leaving to little room to fit in really challenging puzzles. I think i only had one moment were a puzzle was a good headscratcher, i felt portal 1 was more challenging

I haven't tried co-op so maybe that makes al my complaints redundant.
This may sound al a bit negative which isn't really fair, because i really did enjoy the game a lot, i guess i was expecting something different.

Arjen said:
I loved the characters, the humor (i laughed a lot out loud) but i enjoyed the puzzles in Portal 1 way more.

What i liked about the original portal, was the non stop amount of test chambers, i wasn't in it for the story, i was in it for the puzzles. Sure, Portal 2 had a good amount of that, but what i disliked were the setpieces in between test chamber, which weren't really puzzles but more a "stare in the distances and find a white spot to put a portal"
Although i liked the new edition of gels etc. i thought there were to many chambers wasted on introducing al the new stuff, leaving to little room to fit in really challenging puzzles. I think i only had one moment were a puzzle was a good headscratcher, i felt portal 1 was more challenging

This may sound al a bit negative which isn't really fair, because i really did enjoy the game a lot, i guess i was expecting something different.

They're probably saving the hard stuff for the DLC.

jarosh

Arjen said:

yes, portal 1 is the more challenging game and definitely more unique. i understand people who are saying that they enjoyed portal 1 more and even think it's a better game altogether. i'm not sure if i agree entirely, but there are valid points to be made. that said, the co-op does indeed make some of your complaints redundant. it's shorter than the sp, but it's essentially all test chambers with practically no story and filler in between. PLUS the puzzles are quite a bit more challenging and there's a bit of a return to the more twitch and momentum based puzzles later on (which were more prominent in portal 1 and absent from the sp campaign in portal 2)... but they're less frustrating this time around, see my post here. so, definitely play through the co-op campaign!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I am still in disbelief that my friend and I could play the PS3 and PC versions of Portal 2 together! We played all of the first set of puzzles and I am still stunned that it worked. Why dont more games use this kind of service, this is the only game I have heard do this. Such a great idea!

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Just finished the SP, what a fantastic game, and quite an ending! My friend's been patiently waiting for me to go through Portal 1 and 2 to play co-op with me :)

jbttwin

I beat the single player on Saturday after starting it on Friday. Probably one of my favorite games of all time.

I'll try co-op in a couple days.

Hylian7

I'm having the weirdest problem that Google appears to be yielding nothing for. When I start a new map and save it I get what's pictured below. I can't do anything in any of the viewports and it's giving me that "READ ONLY" crap for some reason. The same thing still happens if I open one of the sample maps as well, it shows nothing and says read only. Any ideas on how to fix this?

2s0itjr.png

Top Bottom