• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Hylian7

Botolf said:
Have you tried fiddling with the OS permissions for Steam/Portal 2 SDK/Hammer?

And you've run Portal 2 before, right?
I'll give that a try, and yes, I have played the hell out of Portal 2 on this computer.

Just went through and got all the trophies I missed for single player. Would have never gotten Smash TV on my own so I'm thankful for the achievement, provided some chuckles.

Now I really need to go and do my first coop run and nab all the achievements along the way. If anyone wants to help this weekend add me on steam: Bidoofaloof is my steam account, xOLSONx is PSN. I have a mic and all that jazz.

Not sure when exactly but if you add me I'll get at you. No pressure or commitment either.

storl026

Teknoman said:
Have people been using mics in co-op or just typing?

The ping tool is actually good enough to get you through the whole co-op without any problems. I'm guessing using a keyboard would be even more helpful, and a microphone more helpful still.

I used the ping tool only, and I still had an amazing experience.

Clipper

I played co-op with a mic on my PS3 vs. a PC player who also had a mic. That was really good as I was able to describe trophy moments and so on, as I wanted to go for the Platinum (which I got last week). I agree that you could probably get through the game with just the ping tool if all you are wanting to do is finish the game, but we had some great shared moments over the mics, laughing together at GLaDOS or discussing plot points as we went. Definitely improved the experience.

Spwn

storl026 said:
The ping tool is actually good enough to get you through the whole co-op without any problems. I'm guessing using a keyboard would be even more helpful, and a microphone more helpful still.

I used the ping tool only, and I still had an amazing experience.

Same here. I even platinumed the game, although I did tell my friend on Steam what achievements I was after. I think Valve did spectacular job with the ping tool, but I have also had very frustrating moments with people who don't seem to understand when I ping them to stand on a specific spot. They usually start running around like headless chickens within a second after they reach the point I pinged. But the concept is great, I even played through the whole campaign with a random only using the ping tool and we had a mutual understanding from start to finish.

Keikoku

Banned
I played the coop with my friend (on PC) without any problems until today (last level). Now he is literally "beeping" (he also have a orange dot flashing just where the antenna is) and I have no idea why. I made a google search about this, nothing came up. I'm only one to see it/hear it. What is it gaf ?

Bert

Assume awesome awesome game!

Just finished my first play through. First game in like forever that is laugh out loud funny, really well thought out yet never so frustrating that you want to give up (I have a very low tolerance for high difficulty games in my old age). I can't think of enough superlatives to describe this game.

I'm about halfway through co op as my friend is away, but what a perfect local co op game, requires real teamwork.

Wish I'd played Portal before but everywhere locally had sold out of orange box and I only have a MBA for Steam.

Easily my game of the generation, this is the standard all other games should be judged by.

DarkKyo

Bert said:
Assume awesome awesome game!

Just finished my first play through. First game in like forever that is laugh out loud funny, really well thought out yet never so frustrating that you want to give up (I have a very low tolerance for high difficulty games in my old age). I can't think of enough superlatives to describe this game.

I'm about halfway through co op as my friend is away, but what a perfect local co op game, requires real teamwork.

Wish I'd played Portal before but everywhere locally had sold out of orange box and I only have a MBA for Steam.

Easily my game of the generation, this is the standard all other games should be judged by.
If all games were judged by Portal 2/Valve standards then there would be no good games... besides Valve games.

Bert

Dechaios said:
If all games were judged by Portal 2/Valve standards then there would be no good games... besides Valve games.

Obvious hyperbole but there is a point to be made that if games are going to be taken seriously by current non-gamers that standard of quality of writing if not gameplay is where the industry should be aiming. Not MGS's god awful anime-lite dialogue.

parasight

They managed to remain different enough from Portal 1, without losing too much mystique. I knew it was going to be a tough task to be as impressed by the sequel considering how big of a surprise the first one was. Loved every minute of it. Although I do miss the squeaky clean rooms.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Every now and then I think back on this game, and am just so happy it exists. Warm fuzzy feelings, guys. Warm and fuzzy.

1-D_FTW

Teknoman said:
Have people been using mics in co-op or just typing?

I'm normally just a typer, but I hooked up a mic for co-op. I would have to think it'd be really frustrating just using gestures.

parasight

I didn't get my Bionic Beanie when I finished the single player campaign :(

Weird bug, it showed up after going back and forth through the menus.

storl026

For anyone who has only played the single-player, do yourself a favor and play the co-op....even if it's with a random and you have no mic/no keyboard. I got matched with an awesome random on PSN, and we spent one night beating the co-op in one sitting and the next night cleaning up on Steam achievements and trophies. We were both only using the ping tool and occasional Steam overlay text chat, and it was still the most fun I've had playing games all year.

Keikoku said:
I played the coop with my friend (on PC) without any problems until today (last level). Now he is literally "beeping" (he also have a orange dot flashing just where the antenna is) and I have no idea why. I made a google search about this, nothing came up. I'm only one to see it/hear it. What is it gaf ?

That's probably an issue with your partner's microphone. The orange light on the end of the character's antenna lets you know s/he is speaking into the microphone. It could be any number of things (faulty microphone, faulty microphone port etc.), but it's most likely a problem on your partner's end.

Anyone wanna help me and my friend out with the hugging trophy really quick? It's pretty much the only trophy we each need for the platinum, so if two other people could add us and hug us really quick it would be great. It shouldn't take any longer than a few minutes

My PSN name is BenFuzz and his is nvrforgetnine11

thanks!

Willeth

AvidNobody said:
Anyone wanna help me and my friend out with the hugging trophy really quick? It's pretty much the only trophy we each need for the platinum, so if two other people could add us and hug us really quick it would be great. It shouldn't take any longer than a few minutes

My PSN name is BenFuzz and his is nvrforgetnine11

thanks!
Are you still looking for this? I'll absolutely help out.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Portal 2 was the most disappointing good game I've played in a long time.

I didn't expect it to have the same impact as the original, but I did expect it to be more than just a by-the-numbers sequel. I didn't think the new gameplay wrinkles - gels, tractor beams - were a good addition at all. Daisy-chaining portals to alter momentum is much more interesting than dropping win paint on the right surface. It felt like the designers needed some ways to make design shortcuts. Portal 2 had a worse story than the original, did a much poorer job telling it, and spent a lot more time to do so. There are chunks of the game where you are sauntering on catwalks just to get to the next loading screen! The pre-recorded message contrivance was a big step down from the graffiti hiding in nooks, which was almost non-existent here.

I thought the original Portal was one of the rare games that nailed the mechanics in its first iteration. The only question going forward was how to surround them. I'm surprised by how little ambition there was in Portal 2. This is what I would've expected out of an expansion pack that came out two years ago. The spare design, tight pacing, and ingenuity on display in the original all took steps back in the sequel.

Lijik

1-D_FTW said:
I'm normally just a typer, but I hooked up a mic for co-op. I would have to think it'd be really frustrating just using gestures.
Its frustrating because it shouldnt be. The systems in place are perfect, yet for some reason my friends cant decipher a symbol of a person going into a portal that i placed on an open portal.

mt1200

Help me gaf, i'm stuck.

Major spoilers.

I'm in the part when that british robot takes control of everything (Chapter 6 I think) , then you go down like 4 kilometers underground, I got into a huge place with water below, pipes above, a huge rusted wall to shoot the portals, and no place to go, what am I supposed to do?

rezuth

mt1200 said:
Help me gaf, i'm stuck.

Major spoilers.

I'm in the part when that british robot takes control of everything (Chapter 6 I think) , then you go down like 4 kilometers underground, I got into a huge place with water below, pipes above, a huge rusted wall to shoot the portals, and no place to go, what am I supposed to do?
Use the white goo

webrunner

mt1200 said:
Help me gaf, i'm stuck.

Major spoilers.

Do you mean
right after you fall? Portal through the fence.

sn00zer

look for white spots in the environment may need to use the zoom function
Also there is a busted open door you can shoot a portal into

Feep

Banned
So, there are some early entries for the Summer Mapping Initiative. I've played a few, but I just want to give a shoutout to Edifice, a significantly long test chamber. Brilliantly constructed, it offers a challenge that significantly exceeds anything found in Portal 2's single-player or co-op campaigns. Give it a shot...if you can. = D

Lach

mt1200 said:
Help me gaf, i'm stuck.

Major spoilers.

There's a half opened door. You can't go through it but can create a portal on the other side.
A friend of mine was stuck there too.

Willeth

Feep said:
So, there are some early entries for the Summer Mapping Initiative. I've played a few, but I just want to give a shoutout to Edifice, a significantly long test chamber. Brilliantly constructed, it offers a challenge that significantly exceeds anything found in Portal 2's single-player or co-op campaigns. Give it a shot...if you can. = D
Just finished it, loved the first couple of rooms but the last one seemed to be a little too multifaceted. Really good map overall, though things like jumping into excursion funnels and hopping diagonal gaps aren't really all that Portal.

mclaren777

I finished Portal 2 last night and I enjoyed it much more than the original (aka, the most disappointing game of 2007 for me). I'm glad that I didn't pay full price for P2 (thanks again, Kmart!) because I personally don't think it's worth $60, but it was a great way for my wife and I to enjoy some gaming together.

Now it's time to go listen to the Giant Bomb spoiler cast...

_RT_

Anyone interested in some co-op?
Wife and I played a couple levels... but I've been itching to get back into the game.

RT_Boston if game

Jintor

Eqdk1.jpg

sflufan

Banned
Finally finished this gem of a game last night and what a wonderful 18 hour experience it was for me!

Yes, that's right -- it took me 18 hours. And when I tell you that the original took me about 8 hours to complete, you'll understand that I'm not very good at this type of game! :eek:P

Feep

Banned
Botolf said:
How much ninja-fu does it require? I'm all for a convoluted brain bender of a puzzle, but ninja shit drives me insane.
Exactly zero.

Willeth said:
Just finished it, loved the first couple of rooms but the last one seemed to be a little too multifaceted. Really good map overall, though things like jumping into excursion funnels and hopping diagonal gaps aren't really all that Portal.
???

Makes me wonder how you solved it...

TacticalFox88 said:
Goddamn. I just played the first level. This game is complete and utter BRILLIANCE! I've never seen a game that made me think before. Such awesome level design.
Uh.

Goddamn. I just played the first level. This game is complete and utter BRILLIANCE! I've never seen a game that made me think before. Such awesome level design.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Feep said:
I've never actually installed a custom map before. Can you point me in the direction of a step-by-step?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh, duh, there's an installation .txt in the zip.

Feep said:

Those were pretty well made. Definitely enjoyed them. The rooms all rely on the same underlying concept, really, but it's a good idea and it was satisfying completing them.

Haven't really looked into the details of the contest, but I assume they'll have something like winners and a list of runners up? Can't wait to download all of those. I wouldn't mind a bit of ninja-fu either ;)

Top Bottom