• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Ifrit

Mithos said:
I'm sorry to say most people in this thread don't understand that question one single bit, as you can read through the entire thread in the way they answer.

I also hope to get the REAL answer to this (guess we need to wait until PC-version is unlocked on Steam though).

PSN-A -Link-> Steam-A -> Go PC -> enter code -> Download PC version.
PSN-B -Link-> Steam-B

PC - Play with PSN-A/Steam-A
PS3 - Play with PSN-B/Steam-B

Co-op working this way or not?

Quoted because I'd really like to know if this is possible

onlyindreams said:
I bet there's some ridiculously simple solution here and we're gonna feel like idiots when we get past it.
Beat it. Feel like an idiot.
put orange up to very top, blue on ground. Go to top, shoot orange at slanted platform on wall facing Aperture sign, jump all way down through blue.

Mithos said:
I'm sorry to say most people in this thread don't understand that question one single bit, as you can read through the entire thread in the way they answer.

I also hope to get the REAL answer to this (guess we need to wait until PC-version is unlocked on Steam though).

PSN-A -Link-> Steam-A -> Go PC -> enter code -> Download PC version.
PSN-B -Link-> Steam-B

PC - Play with PSN-A/Steam-A
PS3 - Play with PSN-B/Steam-B

Co-op working this way or not?

I'd like to know this too because I want to play with my wife and it would be nice if she could play on the PS3 while I play on my laptop.

ghibli99

Amazing OP! Love the post break graphics. :)

Preinstalling right now. I cancelled my PS3 preorder and just bought it for PC/Mac. The way I saw it, I was never going to play this on console, and I might as well save myself some cash in the process. Can't wait!

I have a spoiler-ish gif ready to use when the game is finally released on Steam (linked to save bandwidth):
http://i52.tinypic.com/14o2g5e.gif

Feel free to use this to express your excitement when the game is released.

M_A_C

canadian crowe said:
So any initial impressions? I love Portal, Stephen Merchant, and Valve, but I'm still not sure if this is day 1 for me or not.

If you love all of those things (I know I do) then what could possible hold you back?

Man there's so many tempting things about Portal 2 on the internet.

I watched the first 30 minutes or so on YouTube and it looks amazing. Wasn't too much I hadn't already seen from previews and videos.

I kind of wish I wasn't so tempted by these video though. I'm finding it really tough to not watch any more.

Carl

ashbash159 said:
I kind of wish I wasn't so tempted by these video though. I'm finding it really tough to not watch any more.

Same. Think i may have to hide in a bunker after tuesday, until the UK gets it (damn UK releases being on fridays!)

EDIT: oh wait yeah it's out on thursday. Still too long

Carl said:
Same. Think i may have to hide in a bunker after tuesday, until the UK gets it (damn UK releases being on fridays!)
It's coming out Thursday in retail because it's Good Friday and things don't happen on that day.

You should have got it on Steam!

DevelopmentArrested said:
Beat it. Feel like an idiot.
put orange up to very top, blue on ground. Go to top, shoot orange at slanted platform on wall facing Aperture sign, jump all way down through blue.
Haha yep. That worked.

I have a feeling alot of people are going to get stuck here.

Carl

ashbash159 said:
It's coming out Thursday in retail because it's Good Friday and things don't happen on that day.

Should have got it on Steam!

Forgot it was Good Friday this week. And yeah i would have done if my laptop was capable of running it! So it's the PS3 version for me

LProtag

Man, my laptop is struggling to run Trine right now. Glad I got the PS3 version. I forgot how easily obsolete technology gets in 2 years.

Is this game going to be harder on computers than Portal 1? My laptop could handle portal 1, everything full, 1920x1200, but that's the max it can do lol. It'll struggle if it's much more fancier :(.

Sibylus

Banned
FunkyMunkey said:
Is this game going to be harder on computers than Portal 1? My laptop could handle portal 1, everything full, 1920x1200, but that's the max it can do lol. It'll struggle if it's much more fancier :(.
A lot harder (Portal was one of the lightest titles in the Orange Box). The levels are much more detailed, there's some new effects that look great, and there's heavy use of dynamic shadow-casting lights (something Portal 1 didn't use at all).

How your computer runs Left 4 Dead 2 and Alien Swarm are probably the closest indicators to how it'll fare here.

mclem

A quick request for anyone getting the game soon:

I still haven't played Episode 1 or 2; I was planning to play through both those followed by Portal over my Easter break.

I'm dimly aware of links between Ep2 and Portal2 (
The Borealis
), but I'm not sure how substantive those actually are; if there's any wonderful 'aha!' moments which crop up thanks to associating what occurs in Portal 2 with what you've seen beforehand in the Episodes.

So, all that said: Anyone who's played through Portal 2 (which won't be many people yet, but I'm going to ask this once then bail from the thread until it's good and safe once again), could you PM me with one simple (spoiler-free!) statement: An opinion on whether you think it's better to save Portal 2 until after the Episodes to maximise the enjoyment, or if Portal 2 is distinct enough that it doesn't really matter all that much.

Botolf said:
A lot harder (Portal was one of the lightest titles in the Orange Box). The levels are much more detailed, there's some new effects that look great, and there's heavy use of dynamic shadow-casting lights (something Portal 1 didn't use at all).

How your computer runs Left 4 Dead 2 and Alien Swarm are probably the closest indicators to how it'll fare here.

Ah thanks for the tip. I can run L4D2 well on reasonable settings so I'll probably be okay. At least once I turn off a couple dynamic lighting effects(which brings me from 30 fps to 10 haha).

Hylian7

I am sick and tired of this crap. At best it looks like it will release tomorrow night, but probably will release Monday. What the fuck Valve?! You started all this hype from a 2-week ARG and then only make it end up being one day ahead of release?! Are you fucking shitting me?! I cleared out my entire weekend to play your game, yet I'm still sitting here earning potatoes instead!

A countdown to another countdown was the absolute worst part. Valve, you really fucked up. Don't make this worse than the Half-Life 2 launch.

/rant

Hylian7 said:
I am sick and tired of this crap. At best it looks like it will release tomorrow night, but probably will release Monday. What the fuck Valve?! You started all this hype from a 2-week ARG and then only make it end up being one day ahead of release?! Are you fucking shitting me?! I cleared out my entire weekend to play your game, yet I'm still sitting here earning potatoes instead!

A countdown to another countdown was the absolute worst part. Valve, you really fucked up. Don't make this worse than the Half-Life 2 launch.

/rant
The game is great and worth the wait...

/sorry

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
read that post out loud

then never make another post like that

Hylian7 said:

/rant
Valve has made it so people are actually angry when release dates are still release dates now.

careksims

Hylian7 said:

/rant

Totally agree. If they never said anything, I would be okay with just waiting for the Tuesday release. :/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hylian7 said:

/rant
Me, from the other thread:
enzo_gt said:
The ARG lost so much steam and hype after Friday, which pretty much destroys the point of an ARG. Now, whereas we were hyped to get Friday early, now we are hyped to possibly get the game a few hours early with little immediate feedback or reward for participating.

It's turned into a waiting game, and even if we do get Portal 2 a day early, the ARG, despite how amazingly constructed it was did not reach it's full potential. It strives on hope for the inevitable to appear fractionally sooner, and that's a pretty shitty basis despite how godlike the lead up was.
/truth

bender

What time is it?
I was able to pick up a copy of the PS3 version at Game Force toady. I finished the first six chapters. Steam integration is nice, you can chat with your friends using a shift-tab styled overlay from PC Steam by hitting select (it's also speedier way to look up your trophies).

I never played the Orange Box on PS3 so I can't compare but it seems to perform really well. I've only noticed slowdown once and that was during an auto-save. There is some noticeable aliasing. Even though the Playstation.com site reports 1080i support, that isn't the case (480p or 720p only).

The writing is as sharp as ever which is a pleasant surprise. I was doubtful that they could recapture the magic from the original. The only downside I see is the lack of challenge at least so far. Nothing has come close to stumping me so far. Maybe I'm just early on but if you played portal it's smooth sailing. I guess you can't expect them to make mind benders early on because it has to be tuned for the folks who never played the original.

madmook

For anyone playing the PS3/360 version: are the L3 or R3 buttons (clicking in the analog sticks) used at all?

please no

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so hey you guys who have the game, how does it handle loading?

bender

What time is it?
madmook said:
For anyone playing the PS3/360 version: are the L3 or R3 buttons (clicking in the analog sticks) used at all?

please no

Not with the default setup:

look - right stick
move - left stick
jump - x
crouch - circle
portals - r1/l1
use - square
zoom - r2

multi-player:

gesture - down
partner view - triangle
quick ping - l2
ping tool - right

pause - start
steam - select

In preset #3, L3 & R3 are mapped to quick ping and zoom.

Rez said:
so hey you guys who have the game, how does it handle loading?

There are 20-30 second loads ever so often. I'd say they occur after 2-3 test chambers.

Sibylus

Banned
Hylian7 said:
Yeah, you're going to look back at this comment in the coming months and feel really silly.

Unless Steam itself breaks down or your copy of the game is plagued with NPCs stuttering their lines (which is what happened in '04), this launch will be looked back on rather fondly. Comparing it to HL2's positively nightmarish launch really does a number to your credibility here.

We're all dying to play, so it follows that any hitch will be blown out of proportion and made to be a gigantic problem. Could the final timer been communicated better? Certainly, but it hasn't and won't derail the entire ARG or launch like some are convinced it will. You're pinning the final verdict of history on your gut feeling of the very moment. And when the game comes out, your gut feeling will be completely different. Stop consulting it and place your bet on the likely outcome: the ARG, despite its hiccups, will be remembered for the overwhelmingly positive impact it had.

Hylian7

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I hear a pretty awesome game is coming out on Tuesday or even Monday.
That's something we already knew. I have a hard time believing you're not at all disappointed by this. They kept teasing a Friday release, we weren't completely sure about that one, until someone the guy on the Gaijin Games blog said something about an early release. Now that didn't have to mean Friday, but still, at this rate it's looking like Monday. Woo fucking hoo, only one day ahead of time, and on a Monday when no one has any damn time to play it.

What, exactly, was the point of this ARG in the first place if it just looks like it's coming out Tuesday/close to Tuesday anyway?!

Nizz

bender said:
I was able to pick up a copy of the PS3 version at Game Force toady. I finished the first six chapters. Steam integration is nice, you can chat with your friends using a shift-tab styled overlay from PC Steam by hitting select (it's also speedier way to look up your trophies).

I never played the Orange Box on PS3 so I can't compare but it seems to perform really well. I've only noticed slowdown once and that was during an auto-save. There is some noticeable aliasing. Even though the Playstation.com site reports 1080i support, that isn't the case (480p or 720p only).

The writing is as sharp as ever which is a pleasant surprise. I was doubtful that they could recapture the magic from the original. The only downside I see is the lack of challenge at least so far. Nothing has come close to stumping me so far. Maybe I'm just early on but if you played portal it's smooth sailing. I guess you can't expect them to make mind benders early on because it has to be tuned for the folks who never played the original.
How is the control layout, if I may ask? Is it L1/R1 for primary fire? One nice thing about the Orange Box was that you could fully customize the controller to your liking.

Hylian7 said:
That's something we already knew. I have a hard time believing you're not at all disappointed by this. They kept teasing a Friday release, we weren't completely sure about that one, until someone the guy on the Gaijin Games blog said something about an early release. Now that didn't have to mean Friday, but still, at this rate it's looking like Monday. Woo fucking hoo, only one day ahead of time, and on a Monday when no one has any damn time to play it.

What, exactly, was the point of this ARG in the first place if it just looks like it's coming out Tuesday/close to Tuesday anyway?!
Yeah I was disappointed that it didn't come out on Friday. Then I remembered it's still coming out on the planned release date and I felt fine.

Valve's ARG doesn't meet Hylian7's expectations for quality. Pack it up, Valve, you had a good run.

Koodo

Banned
I hope the game gets delayed to Wednesday so I don't have to ward off the urge to play it for one day.

VALVE TIME I SUMMON YOU

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I hear a pretty awesome game is coming out on Tuesday or even Monday.
Only slave labour on a grandoise scale will make the last two words of your sentence a possibility.

Or, a community or something I think it's called.

Idling Audiosurf as we speak.

Hylain7 said:

I am disappointed, but the friday release teaser was COMPLETE assumption until it was facilitated by BS rumours that people ate up in the name of hype. I seemingly thought it would just be another Portal 2 "surprise," you know, kinda like this CPU bullshit now.

bender

What time is it?
purple cobra said:
How is the control layout, if I may ask? Is it L1/R1 for primary fire? One nice thing about the Orange Box was that you could fully customize the controller to your liking.

See above. Four button layouts. You can also change to Southpaw, invert look type and adjust vertical/horizontal sensitivity. Unless I'm missing it, I don't see an option to fully customize button layout.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Mostly elevators

It will also semi-frequently go to a black loading screen beyond the steaming that occurs in elevators.

Hylian7

Yeah I was disappointed that it didn't come out on Friday. Then I remembered it's still coming out on the planned release date and I felt fine.

Valve's ARG doesn't meet Hylian7's expectations for quality. Pack it up, Valve, you had a good run.
All I'm saying is the whole 2 weeks seemed pointless if this is all it was, not being really anything at all.

Nizz

bender said:
See above. Four button layouts. You can also change to Southpaw, invert look type and adjust vertical/horizontal sensitivity. Unless I'm missing it, I don't see an option to fully customize button layout.

It will frequently go to a black loading screen beyond the steaming that occurs in elevators.
Damn, I completely missed your post. :/ Thank you for answering, I appreciate it. :) Default set up is perfect for me.

Top Bottom