• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Sibylus

Banned
Wait, the game has some measure of streaming now? Is this confirmed?

Hylian7 said:
All I'm saying is the whole 2 weeks seemed pointless if this is all it was, not being really anything at all.
Bag on miscommunication all you want (as that's fair, the countdown was a bit ambiguous), but this complaint is nonsensical.

ARGs are intended to give fans something fun to do, and to hype up a game before release. This one has certainly accomplished those two goals, and whether it'll release a few hours or a day and some change ahead of schedule, we'll get the game early on top of that. As far as ARGs go, this one has had a lot more interaction and "gain" than pretty much any other. So erm, maybe the concept itself leaves you cold?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Hylian7 said:
I am sick and tired of this crap. At best it looks like it will release tomorrow night, but probably will release Monday. What the fuck Valve?! You started all this hype from a 2-week ARG and then only make it end up being one day ahead of release?! Are you fucking shitting me?! I cleared out my entire weekend to play your game, yet I'm still sitting here earning potatoes instead!

A countdown to another countdown was the absolute worst part. Valve, you really fucked up. Don't make this worse than the Half-Life 2 launch.

/rant

Dear god please go outside and do something with your weekend instead of potato farming. Reflect on what is driving you to madness and take a step back. There are so many things you could do to take your mind off of waiting for the game to release.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Hey how about you just don't type anything anymore, thanks.
What makes you think I want to spoil people here? I'm just expressing my frustration. Anyway, to play some of those potato games.

Cipherr

Mr. Spinnington said:
stay out of the thread yourself?

but i agree

No its just annoying. Noone wants even any hints at spoilers. With all the pirates about everyone is pretty on edge about people dropping what they consider to be 'vague' information. We have had a few big ass hints already to the end of the multiplayer. Its best that people just not talk about the game that isnt even released yet....I dont think thats a lot to ask.

Cipherr said:
No its just annoying. Noone wants even any hints at spoilers. The only way to even get spoilers is from pirates. He is right, noone cares if he got spoiled or that he knows something. Come back in three days and we can talk about it all he wants.
but what about people playing review copies or who found a store that broke street date?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sgt.Pepper said:
Someone spoiled me a little bit, not enough to make the story non-enjoyable, but fuck I hope it is fake.

Let me guess, "I didnt see any Episode 3 hints". I guarenty 99% of the disappointment will come people expecting stuff that they shouldn't.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The ARG stopped being solely about release dates and announcements the instant they released new content and stuff for the Potato Sack games. The ARG is just as much about those game as it is Portal 2 now. And people losing their shit because the game will be released 2 days ahead of schedule instead of 4 are mental.

Jesus, there are too many deals for this game going on. I had stuck with my Amazon PS3 preorder, $55 (+$20 credit) for PS3 and PC, but now I see this Best Buy deal for the PC version for $35, with a $10 gift card and $10 Reward Zone credit...

This is like a Steam sale... in the real world.

At what point do we have to worry about Steam becoming self-aware?

Thanks Stumpokapow for editing my posts with extra warnings....I'm sorry if the game was spoiled for people accidentally highlighting the text.

so i have orange box for 360 coming via amazon, played thru HL2 and portal when it first came out but wanted to replay Portal and my options were to play it on my MBP, buy the xbla version or buy orange box, but it won't be here until wenesday, while my portal 2 will be here tuesday

so in my drunk impatientness I decided to try portal on my MBP without a mouse... :(

stupei

onlyindreams said:
Haha yep. That worked.

I have a feeling alot of people are going to get stuck here.

I called it quits for the night not too long after that. Pretty sure it was probably obvious and I'm just being thick but
the repulsion gel and water bit
was giving me a headache. Need sleep.

(Also: will post a photo of my copy if someone asks, but feels a bit much like flaunting unless called upon to.)

The answer is probably no, but if i buy it for the PS3 and register my PC/OSX copy to my steam account, will I be able to give someone my login/pass and play COOP with them on the PS3?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Subliminal said:
No. Only one machine can be logged on to steam with the same account at once
There is nothing stopping the PS3 user from using a separate account to play that version of the game.

BeeDog

Picking up the PS3 version when it releases, but I'm curious, any reports on how the game performs/looks like on the console?

well yeah. any steam account can log on using the ps3 version. But the question was about giving someone your password and letting them log on and play on the same account

Yen

Playing Portal 1. At Test Chamber 18 (never got this far before, lost my previous copy), I'm at the very end of the level and it is so hard.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Reposting for those who missed, specifically the Half-Life fans.

This came from one of the ARG figures (one that was hyjacked by GlaDOS) only last night. It was a passworded archive with a text file. The text file reads;

---LOG FROM [ REDACTED ], BY J.H. TO C.J.---

1. We designed the entire thing to be very, very durable. It was easy to get the materials since everyone's been thinking
it's a simple icebreaker ship. Ha.

2. We have made sure to strip it of anything not necessary, so that we have plenty of space for it. It doesn't have any
backup supplies in the event the crew runs out of food, though. And there isn't much food onboard in the first place.

3. In the event you need to send it off all of a sudden, use the OR box with code 'hb1'.

That's all, C.J. Not much else I can tell you other than this won't leave a blight on our record. Mesa is going to be sore
when they see what we've done.

Yenrot said:
Playing Portal 1. At Test Chamber 18 (never got this far before, lost my previous copy), I'm at the very end of the level and it is so hard.
I'm at chamber 17, although I beat it before

I'm dreading the next few chambers as playing on my track pad and having to map the portal buttons to "m" and "," really makes moving and shooting very hard

Xater

BeeDog said:
Picking up the PS3 version when it releases, but I'm curious, any reports on how the game performs/looks like on the console?

nofi said on Twitter that the PS3 version looks good.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So what's going on with the releasedate? I checked that glados@home site and the projected launch is around 48h.

Dina

So, meatpuppets. Enjoying the opening of the Ahn'Qiraj gates yet? Being one day ahead of the curve sure is a meaningful way to spend your free two weekend days.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Firebrand said:
Does anyone know if this has local coop (with a gamepad) on the PC version?

While it's unlikely to be officially supported, chances are you'll be able to enable the mode with some config editing and console settings a la Alien Swarm and the L4D games.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
I'm playing the fan made Portal: Prelude at the moment, I would highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it yet and is aching for some more portal story until P2 comes out soon. Its got a story based around aperture labs prior to the creation of GlaDOS. Quite interesting and rather challenging.

Xdrive05

I hope we get a healthy map community for Portal 2. These games could obviously benefit from a constant stream of new puzzles, more so than most games.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You shouldn't post spoilers, in spoiler tags or otherwise, before the game's released legitimately. Especially if you just randomly spoiler tag something without sufficient context, people will tend to highlight it without thinking due to general spoiler tag abuse, so you'll be responsible.

EviLore said:
You shouldn't post spoilers, in spoiler tags or otherwise, before the game's released legitimately. Especially if you just randomly spoiler tag something without sufficient context, people will tend to highlight it without thinking due to general spoiler tag abuse, so you'll be responsible.
Thanks for the warning.

Top Bottom