• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Snake-87

Neo Member
znap00.jpg

one hour .. so far the atmosphere is incredible .

EviLore said:
You shouldn't post spoilers, in spoiler tags or otherwise, before the game's released legitimately. Especially if you just randomly spoiler tag something without sufficient context, people will tend to highlight it without thinking due to general spoiler tag abuse, so you'll be responsible.
Thanks for this.

ArjanN

Hylian7 said:
That's something we already knew. I have a hard time believing you're not at all disappointed by this. They kept teasing a Friday release, we weren't completely sure about that one, until someone the guy on the Gaijin Games blog said something about an early release. Now that didn't have to mean Friday, but still, at this rate it's looking like Monday. Woo fucking hoo, only one day ahead of time, and on a Monday when no one has any damn time to play it.

What, exactly, was the point of this ARG in the first place if it just looks like it's coming out Tuesday/close to Tuesday anyway?!

1. It's still out sooner than the original date.
2. The ARG is it's own reward if you like ARGs.
3. Bunch of new content for the potato pack games.
4. It helped promote Portal 2 and the potato pack games.

Untracked

Original-Blue said:
Has anyone played portal prelude?
I'm playing Portal Prelude now, I'd never heard of it till today.
Gotta say i'm quite impressed, some of the Test Chambers are really cool.
Currently stuck on Chamber 13 but I'm sure I'll figure it out... eventually.

I was planning on getting this eventually for PC but how does the PS3/free PC copy thing work? Does the game come with a code or what? Considering getting this for PS3 now if I can get a PC copy too.

Pancho

Qurupancho
I'm so tempted to visit my local mall to see if any store broke the street date on this >.<
Monday's gonna be eternal.

grap3fruitman said:
I was planning on getting this eventually for PC but how does the PS3/free PC copy thing work? Does the game come with a code or what? Considering getting this for PS3 now if I can get a PC copy too.
I was going to do this too until I realized the PC version on Steam is $15 cheaper than the PS3 version!

Truant

Does the game feel like a real game this time? As much as I love the first Portal, it felt like a really well made mod most of the time.

I have an extra copy of Portal 1 to gift, please hit me up with a PM with your email address if you want it. I'll send it to the first PM I get.

Also, whats the best Portal 1 user-created content and how can I find it? Need something to hold me over :)

EviLore said:
You shouldn't post spoilers, in spoiler tags or otherwise, before the game's released legitimately. Especially if you just randomly spoiler tag something without sufficient context, people will tend to highlight it without thinking due to general spoiler tag abuse, so you'll be responsible.

Yeah, especially in the OT. I'm surprised though nobody made a spoiler thread already, since Mortal Kombat has one and that game isn't out officially yet either.

MNC

MrCompletely said:
I have an extra copy of Portal 1 to gift, please hit me up with a PM with your email address if you want it. I'll send it to the first PM I get.

Also, whats the best Portal 1 user-created content and how can I find it? Need something to hold me over :)
Blue Portals
Portal: Prelude
Portal: The Flash version mappack

I'm torn about my purchase. $55 w/$20 credit on Amazon for the PS3+SteamPlay version is good, but paying straight-up $45 with a $10 gift card at Best Buy for the SteamPlay version is kind of tempting.

Also, holy shit, two days! Game of Thrones today, Portal Tuesday, this week rocks.

I see a lot of people here going with either the PS3 or PC versions. Is anybody going with the Xbox 360? That's what I'm doing mainly for four reasons: achievements, friends on Live, it's my main console, and the controller. Can't stand the DS3 for FPS or pretty much anything else really.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dax01 said:
I see a lot of people here going with either the PS3 or PC versions. Is anybody going with the Xbox 360? That's what I'm doing mainly for four reasons: achievements, friends on Live, it's my main console, and the controller. Can't stand the DS3 for FPS or pretty much anything else really.
Its either between 360 or PS3 for me, and the advantage long term of having the Steam (mods, quicker patches and updates, etc., also early release and pre-load) version made me choose that nearly instantly.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Dax01 said:

I'm sure you're well aware of this already, but for those who aren't, the 360 controller works flawlessly with PC and almost all modern games that could potentially support it.

MNC

enzo_gt said:
How do you go about finding/installing this?
I don't want to sound annoying but google is your best bet. These mods need to be installed from an installer and aren't hosted on steam itself sadly. Steam really needs to update the mods section sometime :/

Corky said:
I'm sure you're well aware of this already, but for those who aren't, the 360 controller works flawlessly with PC and almost all modern games that could potentially support it.
If only I had a PC that would do the game semi-justice. :p

Divius

Lol. I decided to fire up Portal to pass the time till Portal 2, but I was done with the 'campaign' after exactly 83 minutes.. :( I have played that game so many times, I know it by heart.

Oh well, onto the extra challenges (which I'm not really familiar with!)

stupei

Dax01 said:

My early copy is for 360 -- for basically the same reasons you listed -- but I'm thinking I might double dip on a PS3 copy with one of the $30-$40 deals. Will probably sell one of them off eventually, depending on a couple factors. I just really want to have it on my Mac for a second single player run and this way I can lend the PS3 copy to a friend who just got his very first current gen console last week.

But if you're wondering, it runs great. There were a few textures at the very beginning that I remembered looking nicer in videos I'd seen, but I assume those were all running the PC version so that's to be expected. Lots of loading, though, especially in the beginning. Not sure how that compares to PS3 and PC/Mac.

stupei said:
But if you're wondering, it runs great. There were a few textures at the very beginning that I remembered looking nicer in videos I'd seen, but I assume those were all running the PC version so that's to be expected. Lots of loading, though, especially in the beginning. Not sure how that compares to PS3 and PC/Mac.
That's good to hear. So you have the game early? You enjoying it so far?

Dax01 said:
99% of the time I would, feel the same, but the free pc version with the PS3 one is too good of a deal to pass up.

ok between this thread and the constant barrage of advertising all over miami, , hype meter is through the roof. thankfully i am still in the black about any spoilers whatsoever.

stupei

Dax01 said:
That's good to hear. So you have the game early? You enjoying it so far?

It's great. Really, really loving it. A little weird though to be playing a Portal game that's so much a full game. Every time I sit down I feel like I should be powering through to the end, this is Portal right, but then I realize how much time has passed and I have to take a break. They weren't exaggerating about this being a full retail package.

I mean I'm definitely taking my sweet time looking at everything and listening to every line of dialogue, but I'd say I've spent about
8 hours
so far and really have no idea how much is left. (I don't know if game length counts as spoilery for some people and I know the hype is crazy for this one so just leaving that spoilered in case.)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How do they handle loading screens? Like Portal 1 (where the game basically pauses while the game loads) or does it use actual loading screens? How long do they last?

Loading has always been the single largest problem with Valve titles. I was hoping they had figured out how to handle level streaming by now and eliminate loading screens.

sflufan

Banned
stupei said:
I mean I'm definitely taking my sweet time looking at everything and listening to every line of dialogue, but I'd say I've spent about
8 hours
so far and really have no idea how much is left. (I don't know if game length counts as spoilery for some people and I know the hype is crazy for this one so just leaving that spoilered in case.)

Would you mind telling us what test chamber you're on? I know that there are
of them.

MNC

DarthWufei said:
The Splinter Cell pack is still tempting me, are most of the games in it just not that great? Never really played the series before.
Having played SC1-3 and not played Double Agent and Conviction, I still am tempted to buy it. I really like the games for their gameplay, rest is a bit corny. Co-op missions are always awesome in these games.

DarthWufei said:
The Splinter Cell pack is still tempting me, are most of the games in it just not that great? Never really played the series before.
They're all great up until Conviction which is just alright.

Portal.

wwm0nkey

Hey if you get portal for the PS3 you can give that code inside to a friend so they can have a copy of the game as well!

Someone should give me their Steam code :D

stupei

dark10x said:
How do they handle loading screens? Like Portal 1 (where the game basically pauses while the game loads) or does it use actual loading screens? How long do they last?

Loading has always been the single largest problem with Valve titles. I was hoping they had figured out how to handle level streaming by now and eliminate loading screens.

Like I said, I'm on 360, but for me it goes to an actual black loading screen with
the Aperture logo
between every room / section. In the beginning some of the areas are just there to get you used to the concepts and controls (naturally) so if you played the original game you breeze through those areas very fast and encounter a lot of loading screens. They seem fast overall, though to be honest I haven't counted. Will do that next time.

You can see the loading screen in the Giant Bomb QL about a minute and a half in. That one definitely seems slower than the loading's been to me, so maybe that's how slow it is when it's not installed to the drive. (In that QL they also reveal a minor detail about the loading screens
that the logo changes as you progress through the game, which is a nice touch that keeps it from being quite as annoying as it would be to see the same thing so many times.
) It's definitely the least enjoyable thing about the game so far, particularly at the beginning. A few times I caught myself wondering if they'd better optimized this on the PS3 or PC. Maybe someone who's playing on PS3 could answer that?

sflufan said:
Would you mind telling us what test chamber you're on? I know that there are
of them.

I probably shouldn't answer that.

Would installing the game onto your hard drive help the load times for the 360 version? Has anybody tested that out? Has Valve said anything about that?

Dax01 said:
I'm going to buy the Xbox 360 version. But I don't know if I get it on the release day.

Top Bottom