• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

wwm0nkey

Twilight Princess said:
Wow, thanks! I'm buying the ps3 one then!

Side note, I think the single player mode is at least three times longer than portal 1.
Now see what you should do is give me that free Steam copy if it lets you play the PS3 version without entering that code :D

Still though getting the PS3 version just makes A LOT more sense :lol

dubc35

I'm not sure about other cities but they are advertising this game a ton in Seattle. I've seen at least 5 billboards today alone.

dubc35 said:
I'm not sure about other cities but they are advertising this game a ton in Seattle. I've seen at least 5 billboards today alone.

Considering that their HQ is in Bellevue, WA, they're going advertise the shit in the state. I live up north in WA and my city has at least two Portal 2 billboards.

wwm0nkey said:
Hey if you get portal for the PS3 you can give that code inside to a friend so they can have a copy of the game as well!

Someone should give me their Steam code :D

Actually, no that doesn't work. That code only works with the Steam account that the PSN account is tied too, if I recall. If I understand it right, you wouldn't be able to log into Steam while the other person was playing on PS3, and furthermore they'd be logged into your steam account on their playstation and able to screw up whatever they want.

Is the pc code that comes with the ps3 tied to anything? Meaning if I wanted to give it to one of you guys I could and still play my ps3 version?

Exuro

Inferno313 said:
Actually, no that doesn't work. That code only works with the Steam account that the PSN account is tied too, if I recall. If I understand it right, you wouldn't be able to log into Steam while the other person was playing on PS3, and furthermore they'd be logged into your steam account on their playstation and able to screw up whatever they want.
Start up friends Steam account on PS3 system. Insert code. Log out. Start your Steam account. Play co-op with friend.

vehn

Exuro said:
Start up friends Steam account on PS3 system. Insert code. Log out. Start your Steam account. Play co-op with friend.

You have to be logged into steam to play coop on ps3

Exuro

vehn said:
You have to be logged into steam to play coop on ps3
I said that. The PS3 version isn't locked to one Steam account. You can log into your friends Steam account on your PS3 and insert the PC code to give him the PC copy. You then log out of that Steam account and log into yours on the PS3 and your friend can play the PC version while you're playing the PS3 version. You are both on separate Steam accounts.

vehn

Exuro said:
I said that. The PS3 version isn't locked to one Steam account. You can log into your friends Steam account on your PS3 and insert the PC code to give him the PC copy. You then log out of that Steam account and log into yours on the PS3 and your friend can play the PC version while you're playing the PS3 version. You are both on separate Steam accounts.

If you read Valve's explanation on it, they say that you have to first:

link your Steam account and your PSN ID

And that

you will receive an in-box code which provides your linked Steam account with access to your copy of Portal 2 on your computer

So your steam account that is NOT linked up via the PS3 will NOT accept the Portal 2 code. QQ no free game for you

Exuro

vehn said:
If you read Valve's explanation on it, they say that you have to first:

And that

So your steam account that is NOT linked up via the PS3 will NOT accept the Portal 2 code. QQ no free game for you
I don't see how this stops anything. Is there a limit to the number of Steam account that can be tied to a PS3 system? If not then you can make your friend a PSN account and tie that to his Steam and use the code.

Also, putting QQ at the end of your post doesn't make your post look any better. And nowhere have I said I would do this. I don't even have Portal 2 on preorder and if I did I would be getting it from Steam.

vehn

Exuro said:
I don't see how this stops anything. Is there a limit to the number of Steam account that can be tied to a PS3 system? If not then you can make your friend a PSN account and tie that to his Steam and use the code.

Also, putting QQ at the end of your post doesn't make your post look any better. And nowhere have I said I would do this. I don't even have Portal 2 on preorder and if I did I would be getting it from Steam.

And I bet you it's one steam account per PSN account. They say when you make a new account that "the name of the account will appear to others to be the same as your PlayStation®Network ID. This new Steam account will automatically be linked to your PSN ID."

Also, bolding the end of your post doesn't make your post look any better

Exuro

vehn said:
And I bet you it's one steam account per PSN account. They say when you make a new account that "the name of the account will appear to others to be the same as your PlayStation®Network ID. This new Steam account will automatically be linked to your PSN ID."

Also, bolding the end of your post doesn't make your post look any better
I meant to bold your QQ statement to match. I italicized it instead by mistake. You should try not acting so immature.

Anyways, I never said anything about having multiple steam account on one PSN account. PSN accounts are free. Make a PSN account for your friend and tie it to his Steam account. Add code. Jump on your PSN account and use your Steam account to play on the PS3.

Exuro said:
I meant to bold your QQ statement to match. I italicized it instead by mistake. You should try not acting so immature.
I don't see how he is being immature. Calm down.
Anyways, I never said anything about having multiple steam account on one PSN account. PSN accounts are free. Make a PSN account for your friend and tie it to his Steam account. Add code. Jump on your PSN account and use your Steam account to play on the PS3.

I'm betting to play online you may need to log into STEAM. I can just about guarantee to play online against a steam user one would need to log into their steam account.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MNC said:
I don't want to sound annoying but google is your best bet. These mods need to be installed from an installer and aren't hosted on steam itself sadly. Steam really needs to update the mods section sometime :/
Cool, thanks for the heads up. Found em pretty easy, was just wondering if they were hosted on steam but somehow inaccessible from the browser easily.

Greg said:
Just downloaded Portal: The First Slice to check it out.

3 years late, but this is awesome.
The thing is that demo won't show you why Portal is so great. The actual portal-shooting puzzle part isn't really the hook. I can't say more without spoiling it. All I can say is that something happens in this 2-3 hour game that makes it one of the best games ever, and no one forgets it.

Greg

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
The thing is that demo won't show you why Portal is so great. The actual portal-shooting puzzle part isn't really the hook. I can't say more without spoiling it. All I can say is that something happens in this 2-3 hour game that makes it one of the best games ever, and no one forgets it.
The sad thing is that I posted seconds before I tabbed back to the game and finished the demo. I guess that makes sense considering the length of the full game though.

Still don't know why I waited so long to check it out. I remember seeing the news stories when it was out for free, but my laptop at the time would've struggled to run it and I never bothered.

vehn

Man on day 1 when I played the game, I got to the end for the "assume the party position" part and thought it was the end. It wasn't until I posted on some forums a few hours later that I realized there was more too it -_-

Nabs

Agreed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's why I've got my hopes that what they've shown off of Portal 2 so far isn't even a taste of what the full beast contains. My body is not ready for what possibly awaits that none of us can expect.

f0rk

Greg said:
The sad thing is that I posted seconds before I tabbed back to the game and finished the demo. I guess that makes sense considering the length of the full game though.

Still don't know why I waited so long to check it out. I remember seeing the news stories when it was out for free, but my laptop at the time would've struggled to run it and I never bothered.

It's free if you preorder Portal 2.

enzo_gt said:
That's why I've got my hopes that what they've shown off of Portal 2 so far isn't even a taste of what the full beast contains. My body is not ready for what possibly awaits that none of us can expect.
Trust me, portal 2 is so much more awesome than 1. In comparison, 1 is more like a demo.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
enzo_gt said:

Some of the concept art they've released via the ARG hints at some crazy epic shit. I kinda wish I hadn't seen it.

Antagon

Caved in and watched the first 20 minutes. This looks so ridiculously good, well written, funny, fantastic production values (the animation...).

Loved the way they explained jumping in the tutorial.

robot

I preordered at bestbuy after watching the Boots video featured on the xbox dashboard. At $44.99 its hard to pass up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Twilight Princess said:
Trust me, portal 2 is so much more awesome than 1. In comparison, 1 is more like a demo.
You have it?

1 was always like a proof of concept that took on a whole other entity in itself.

careksims

InfiniteNine said:
Replayed Portal today so I'm ready for Tuesday! Huzzah!

Yeah I did that early this morning. :) I thought I forgot, but no. Still so awesome.

Tomorrow! Unless they surprise us tonight.

Funny how some console players play it first.

My body isn't ready AT ALL.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I was thinking of actually getting a PS3 for this just so I could get the linked PC copy, but then I saw that Amazon and Best Buy had it for $35. I was tempted by the BB gift card, but never really buy anything there so I just passed that up for free shipping and no tax at Amazon. :p

enzo_gt said:
You have it?

1 was always like a proof of concept that took on a whole other entity in itself.
I only had the game for 6 hours, it is sooo good. It's portal 1 with a lot of new ideas and bigger, better. According to my friend who's already finished the game, I was only half way through. I seriously can't wait to get it myself. I loved the first one but somehow wasn't following all the media for 2, but after last night, I think it's safe to say I will love two even more than one. If I didn't have to work, I'd camp at his place till I finish.

Mrbob

Always-honest said:
but does the 360 version look better and run better?
cause i don't have a gaming pc.

I don't think anybody knows yet. Valve has been demoing the PS3 version to be played so I think they might have given it special focus. In a way the PS3 version is an important release for Valve since it is their first PS3 developed game and they wouldn't want to leave a bad impression.

Having said all this, Valve has already gone and record and said the PS3 version of Portal 2 is the best console version so take that how you will.

Top Bottom