• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
The thing is that demo won't show you why Portal is so great. The actual portal-shooting puzzle part isn't really the hook. I can't say more without spoiling it. All I can say is that something happens in this 2-3 hour game that makes it one of the best games ever, and no one forgets it.

hmm, i guess i've forgotten pretty fast. i played through Portal for the first time a few weeks ago, and i honestly have no idea what you're referring to as unforgettable. spoiler tag it and let me know..

B33

Banned
astroturfing said:
hmm, i guess i've forgotten pretty fast. i played through Portal for the first time a few weeks ago, and i honestly have no idea what you're referring to as unforgettable. spoiler tag it and let me know..
The entire game.

This wait is worse than the time that Half-Life 2 came out and I got it on cds but there was a manufacturing screw-up and one of the cds was a Rilo Kiley album so I downloaded the game for like 3 days from Steam because it was crazy slow back then and when it finished I played for 20 minutes and a blizzard knocked the power out so I packed my tower up in trash bags and carried it, wading through hip-deep snow the 2 miles to my parents house because they had a generator.

Koodo

Banned
CaptainAhab said:
This wait is worse than the time that Half-Life 2 came out and I got it on cds but there was a manufacturing screw-up and one of the cds was a Rilo Kiley album so I downloaded the game for like 3 days from Steam because it was crazy slow back then and when it finished I played for 20 minutes and a blizzard knocked the power out so I packed my tower up in trash bags and carried it, wading through hip-deep snow the 2 miles to my parents house because they had a generator.
Oh.

Dax01 said:
Would installing the game onto your hard drive help the load times for the 360 version? Has anybody tested that out? Has Valve said anything about that?
Of course it helps.

Twilight Princess said:
Trust me, portal 2 is so much more awesome than 1. In comparison, 1 is more like a demo.
I wouldn't go that far. But yes, 2 takes all the ideas of P1 and expands on it with new gameplay mechanics while delivering a much more interesting narrative.

To answer my own question from earlier.. there are
chapters in single-player.

Symphonic

Watched the endings in the process of participating in the ARG, so that sucks. Regardless, still hyped as all get out. Needs to come out soon.

Carl

DevelopmentArrested said:
To answer my own question from earlier.. there are 10 chapters in single-player.

Andd with people posting stuff like that, i guess it's time for me to bail out of this thread!

Koodo

Banned
Are people really sad over the chapter stuff?

How do you stomach a novel then, where you know the exact number of pages?

Best buy currently has Portal 2 on sale. If you pre-order it on any platform you get 500 reward zone points ($10) in addition to the $10 gift card for buying it.

XBOX/PS3 - $44.99 + $10 GC + $10 (500 RZ points) if you preorder.
PC - $34.99 + $10 GC + $10 (500 RZ points) if you preorder.

Go here to add Portal 2 to your cart and it should automatically add the gift card

*Loads up BestBuy.com to preorder PS3 version* Two versions for the price of one! =D

mandiller

loblaw said:
Watched the endings in the process of participating in the ARG, so that sucks. Regardless, still hyped as all get out. Needs to come out soon.

Same. I wish people didn't claim the videos were part of the ARG :-/

At least the ending videos aren't too spoilery -
they are nothing out of the realm of what I already thought would happen.
I still don't know anything about the story, even though I know where it ends up in the end.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Koodo said:
Are people really sad over the chapter stuff?

How do you stomach a novel then, where you know the exact number of pages?
I can't see how many chapters there are in a game typically. And I never look to see how many pages there are in my books. It's not an epic spoiler but I would rather find that stuff out myself. I don't care how long it takes to beat it either but that it less sensitive material.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Just wondering, although it'd probably be a bit late to change my preorder, but is there any way to link my PSN account to my Steam account without actually owning a PS3? It's tempting to get the PS3 version on Amazon for the $20 credit or possibly go the BB route, but I don't think I'd want to splurge on a PS3 itself right now.

DarthWoo said:
Just wondering, although it'd probably be a bit late to change my preorder, but is there any way to link my PSN account to my Steam account without actually owning a PS3? It's tempting to get the PS3 version on Amazon for the $20 credit or possibly go the BB route, but I don't think I'd want to splurge on a PS3 itself right now.

just use a friend ps3 with an account that you create????

Carl said:
Andd with people posting stuff like that, i guess it's time for me to bail out of this thread!
LOL seriously?

CaptainAhab said:
I don't even feel like playing it now that I know how many chapters there are.
I know right. Hey guess what, you play the game once then go back to new game - it tells you how many chapters there are.

Salsa

Im not mad or anything, but i also dont like knowing how many chapters there are, thanks DevelopmentArrested :/

Might seem ridiculous for you, but even by what you consider standars you should also take into notice that there's some crazy people (like me, i guess) who really dont wanna have nothing spoiled about the game. Even what you dont consider spoilers might be spoilers to someone else. The tag is just one click away, no need to "stand" for what you did and be all political about it, add a spoiler tag and that's that.

Big Papa Husker said:
Best buy currently has Portal 2 on sale. If you pre-order it on any platform you get 500 reward zone points ($10) in addition to the $10 gift card for buying it.

XBOX/PS3 - $44.99 + $10 GC + $10 (500 RZ points) if you preorder.
PC - $34.99 + $10 GC + $10 (500 RZ points) if you preorder.

*Loads up BestBuy.com to preorder PS3 version* Two versions for the price of one! =D
Can we pre-order in store too and get the same deal?

mandiller said:
Same. I wish people didn't claim the videos were part of the ARG :-/

At least the ending videos aren't too spoilery -
they are nothing out of the realm of what I already thought would happen.
I still don't know anything about the story, even though I know where it ends up in the end.

Fixed to add spoiler tags. You may not realize it, but that sentence in an of itself is a spoiler.

7echnicolor said:
Can we pre-order in store too and get the same deal?
I'm not sure if you get the RZ points. I just ordered online and set it for in-store pickup. They will be mailing you the $10 GC (snail mail.. :() and I guess the 500 points go into your account after 30 days.

REV 09

Big Papa Husker said:
I'm not sure if you get the RZ points. I just ordered online and set it for in-store pickup. They will be mailing you the $10 GC (snail mail.. :() and I guess the 500 points go into your account after 30 days.
where do you see the 500 pts ($10 RZ) promotion?

Facism

hey man will my bro be able to play this game on his own psn account or is steam just hassle drm locking the game to my psn account?

*So, how's this thread coming along?*

TheExodu5 said:
I don't like knowing how many chapters there are either. Now I'm going to be anticipating the end...

61vx3rqrl8uy7.gif

Facism said:
hey man will my bro be able to play this game on his own psn account or is steam just hassle drm locking the game to my psn account?

It'll work on his PSN account, he just won't be able to get the free PC/MAC copy if you've already redeemed it.

Just ordered Portal 2 for the PS3 for $35 on BestBuy.com, with an existing Reward Zone cert. and getting $20 in store credit on the purchase with it being $44.99...

win.gif

Facism

Inferno313 said:
It'll work on his PSN account, he just won't be able to get the free PC/MAC copy if you've already redeemed it.

That is completely fine. Thank you for the information.

How is it so hard for some of you just to not type anything at all related to what you know? Seriously. It doesn't help anyone, it just hurts, no matter how insignificant you think it is.

Jasoco

Banned
Okay. Let's clarify something. I haven't been keeping up with this at all much. I didn't even see the April Fools stuff on any sites this year..

I do not have a PS3. I won't have one for a while. So a PS3 version of the game is not in the cards.

I do have a Mac. And I have an Xbox 360.

I know about the PS3 Steam deal, but does it only work one way? I can't buy it via Steam and get it on the PS3 version later? If not, that sucks.

What would I miss out on if I went and bought it on Xbox 360 (I'd much rather play it on a console) or if I bought the Mac version? I mean, I'm not against getting it on the 360 as long as the only thing I'd miss out on is a second Mac version to take with me. I rarely play the free Portal 1 I got a while ago, and already own it on the 360 in Orange Box form.

Also, how much is it? I really want to get it ASAP before I get spoiled by the oncoming deluge of quotes and spoilers that will most likely hit FaceBook in a few days.
THE CAKE IS A LIE!

Oh, and when it the release official now? It seems to keep changing. Is it out? The site said tomorrow. But some people have it? What is the deal?

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
How is it so hard for some of you just to not type anything at all related to what you know? Seriously. It doesn't help anyone, it just hurts, no matter how insignificant you think it is.

It's a thread about Portal 2. People are going to talk about Portal 2. Probably what they know about it. Shocking, I know. By your logic we shouldn't talk about there being co-op in the game, because some people wanted that to be a surprise.

Salsa

Snapshot King said:
It's a thread about Portal 2. People are going to talk about Portal 2. Probably what they know about it. Shocking, I know. By your logic we shouldn't talk about there being co-op in the game, because some people wanted that to be a surprise.

again: spoiler tags, one click away

derFeef

Snapshot King said:
I agree about spoilers, but cmon. Is a level count really a spoiler? Is that hidden in the rules somewhere that I missed?
People now unconsciously count the levels and anticipate the ending. I would have prefered not to know it. It sucks.

derFeef said:
People now unconsciously count the levels and anticipate the ending. I would have prefered not to know it. It sucks.

Isn't that the same thing as asking people how long the game is? If they respond somewhere between 10-12 hours, and you're on hour 11 and are feeling the endgame approach, how is that different?

Snapshot King said:
Isn't that the same thing as asking people how long the game is? If they respond somewhere between 10-12 hours, and you're on hour 11 and are feeling the endgame approach, how is that different?

Hours change for every player.

Chapters do not.

That said, I still think its silly. You'll know by the gameplay/story if it is almost over or not.

derFeef

Snapshot King said:
I have not read that anywhere yet, but it is almost the same thing, yes.

Nappuccino said:
Hours change for every player.

Chapters do not.

That said, I still think its silly. You'll know by the gameplay/story if it is almost over or not.
How about no? Remember Portal 1?

Top Bottom