• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

derFeef said:
I have not read that anywhere yet, but it is almost the same thing, yes.

So if in a developer interview they mention it's about twice as long as Portal, that whole interview is considered spoiler territory? What about videos they released showing off gameplay mechanics? You probably would have been liked to be surprised by that too?

If that's the case, and everything is a spoiler, why even come in a thread?

derFeef said:

How about no? Remember Portal 1?

Yeah? That games endgame was astoundingly clear. It even had a
Boss Hallway preceding it

big ander

derFeef said:

How about no? Remember Portal 1?
Portal 1 is almost a counterpoint. If you were counting chapters, you'd get near the end of the "final chapter" and think it was all over. And then you'd play for a solid 45 minutes more.

big ander said:
Portal 1 is almost a counterpoint. If you were counting chapters, you'd get near the end of the "final chapter" and think it was all over. And then you'd play for a solid 45 minutes more.

Portal 1 doesn't even have chapters. And besides, is anyone ever fooled by any time a game "ends" and then OMG! It's not the end! Maybe I'm too jaded and cynical, but I've yet to even come close to being fooled by one of those tricks, and I figured it was kind of universal.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Medalion said:
holy shit it's almost here ahhhhhh

Give me some of those timealtering drugs... because I'm looking at a 24h countdown clock that's gonna lead to more headaches.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
loblaw said:
What earth do you live on where 1 day isn't "almost here"?

independence_day_large_03.jpg

The erf

just finished my 2nd playthrough of Portal 1, first time was with mouse/keyboard. This time I had to resort to using my macook and the touch pad...the last 2 levels are very difficult with this horrible control setup

bring on Portal 2, so ready

Falt

SalsaShark said:
http://www.genuinekentucky.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dancing_figure.gif/IMG][/QUOTE]
WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

Also, since I'm picking this up for 360 and it doesn't drop here till Thursday regardless of your fandangled ARG (whatever the hell that is!), I'm out. OT is choppy!

derFeef

Snapshot King said:
So if in a developer interview they mention it's about twice as long as Portal, that whole interview is considered spoiler territory?
Again, game length varies from player to player.

Snapshot King said:
What about videos they released showing off gameplay mechanics? You probably would have been liked to be surprised by that too?
I maybe watched 3 or 4 videos, so yeah, I would love to get surprised by some mechanics I have not seen yet.

Snapshot King said:
If that's the case, and everything is a spoiler, why even come in a thread?
Good question, but even EviLore mentioned there should not be spoilers in this thread. Just be a little bit more sensitive, because some people consider things as a spoiler you might not care for.

Facism

right put in an order for the PS3 version. GAME.co.uk is selling it for £33 D: THey say nothing about a steam version coming with the game though, so i hope that's just them being lazy.

loblaw said:
Watched the endings in the process of participating in the ARG, so that sucks.

Wait, I also watched those. So you're saying that those clips
with the robots reaching the clones chamber, chell having a song sung to her and that space scene
are the real endings?

They aren't that grand and a bit silly aren't they?

Feindflug

JonCha said:
The 360 version isn't getting the DLC/expansions like the PS3, Valve-supported version IIRC.

Portal 2 Mod Levels 'For All Platforms'

Valve's Chet Faliszek has confirmed that user-created levels for Portal 2 will be available on PC, Mac, PS3 and Xbox 360

"But the content that comes out is agnostic, and so we will be seeing that on all the platforms. Depending on the platform you’re on I should say, will depend on how we’re delivering it."

markot said:
Which means it will probably cost Mpoints no?

Yup. Kinda brilliantly stupid on MS's part, seeing as it's the only platform where the levels won't be free. It's like a big neon sign, reading "THIS IS THE WORST VERSION, DON'T BUY THIS"

eroots

If you haven't finished Portal, then I can't figure out why someone would want the sequel.. The original is so short and sweet, you HAVE, I repeat, YOU HAVE to FINISH it.

markot

Banned
Playing portal 2 without playing portal is a sign of the super stupids.

Its such a short sweet game, everyone should replay it too before playing portal 2 >.<

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
commissar said:
Well less than half of those who played Portal on steam actually finished it. (link)
uhm, when portal was first released it didn't have any achievements, right? they were applied after and weren't awarded retroactively.

Shit, don't know what to do. I played Portal 1 just fine on my computer, but I don't know if I'll be able to run Portal 2 as well on my aging machine.

And I don't have a PS3, so there's 360, but it's going to get gimped with the DLC and such.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Facism said:
right put in an order for the PS3 version. GAME.co.uk is selling it for £33 D: THey say nothing about a steam version coming with the game though, so i hope that's just them being lazy.

Yeah, no Swedish retailers mention anything about a Steam copy either... Hopefully they're just out of the loop. I will kill someone if EU copies of the game don't include the Steam copy.

Facism

RoadHazard said:
Yeah, no Swedish retailers mention anything about a Steam copy either... Hopefully they're just out of the loop. I will kill someone if EU copies of the game don't include the Steam copy.

I'm sending it right back if there isn't a code for the PC version. I was hoping there'd be a guy or 2 here who have the PAL version and could comment.

Cheech

eroots said:
If you haven't finished Portal, then I can't figure out why someone would want the sequel.. The original is so short and sweet, you HAVE, I repeat, YOU HAVE to FINISH it.

Yeah, especially since the sequel looks FAR more complicated, with additional mechanics to deal with above and beyond just the portal gun.

If you couldn't solve the Portal 1 puzzles, I would not even be considering the sequel.

TheExodu5 said:
No, it had achievements. I know because I played the game like crazy at launch and got every single achievement. The only one it didn't have was the radio achievement.

Hmm, I stand corrected then.

Cheech

Littleberu said:
Shit, don't know what to do. I played Portal 1 just fine on my computer, but I don't know if I'll be able to run Portal 2 as well on my aging machine.

And I don't have a PS3, so there's 360, but it's going to get gimped with the DLC and such.

IIRC, the system requirements are not super high. What are you running? I would say anything dual core, a couple gigs of RAM, and a video card made during the last few years would be good enough.

I played Portal 1 on both 360 and PC, and it was far better on PC due to the controls. I am not one of those people who insist on playing with a KB/M for everything (shooters included), but the split second timing of some of those puzzles was far easier with the more precise control a KB/M offers. For that reason alone I'm going PC.

That said, I played through Portal first on the 360, and it was an awesome experience. You can't lose.

Cheech said:
IIRC, the system requirements are not super high. What are you running? I would say anything dual core, a couple gigs of RAM, and a video card made during the last few years would be good enough.

I played Portal 1 on both 360 and PC, and it was far better on PC due to the controls. I am not one of those people who insist on playing with a KB/M for everything (shooters included), but the split second timing of some of those puzzles was far easier with the more precise control a KB/M offers. For that reason alone I'm going PC.

That said, I played through Portal first on the 360, and it was an awesome experience. You can't lose.

Right now, my system is getting pretty old

3.4 Ghz Pentium D

2 gigs of Ram

Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT (128 mb rams)

I don't know...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
FinFan said:
Any word on the controller config for the PS3?

Is it L1 and R1 or L2 and R2?

Hopefully it's configurable.

It better be L1/R1, or configurable. I'm always stunned when devs put shooting controls on L2/R2, since everyone knows it's worse. There's no reason to not at least include the option to swap the controls for L1/R1 and L2/R2.

Mush

markot said:
Playing portal 2 without playing portal is a sign of the super stupids.

Its such a short sweet game, everyone should replay it too before playing portal 2 >.<
I started to replay it today (and on PC for the 1st time I might add). It's just not the same going through it the 2nd time when you already know everything. :(

teiresias

Question:

I've bought the PS3 version, but plan to play the PC version. Unfortunately, my PS3 is all packed up due to an impending move. Can I go to my dad's house and log into my PSN account and get everything set up to get the PC version on Steam and still be ok to play the PS3 version on MY PS3? I'm assuming it will be tied to the PSN account rather than the actual hardware right.

teiresias said:
Question:

I've bought the PS3 version, but plan to play the PC version. Unfortunately, my PS3 is all packed up due to an impending move. Can I go to my dad's house and log into my PSN account and get everything set up to get the PC version on Steam and still be ok to play the PS3 version on MY PS3? I'm assuming it will be tied to the PSN account rather than the actual hardware right.

Yes. It's tied to your PSN account, if I am correct since it's steampowered.

Inferno313 said:
Actually, no that doesn't work. That code only works with the Steam account that the PSN account is tied too, if I recall.
Not correct. The code works on any PC steam version independent of PS3/PSN stuff. So if you want to co-op with a friend on PC, give him the code so he can redeem it on his steam account, while you link yours on PSN and co-op with him using your PS3 copy.

webrunner

Decarb said:
Not correct. The code works on any PC steam version independent of PS3/PSN stuff. So if you want to co-op with a friend on PC, give him the code so he can redeem it on his steam account, while you link yours on PSN and co-op with him using your PS3 copy.

Is this confirmed, or "confirmed by valve"

Because valve also confirmed it didn't work as well. and then reconfirmed it does. and then said it wouldn't again.

Every piece of official info I've seen on it is contradictory. so i'm curious if anyone has actually tried this yet.

Top Bottom