• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

webrunner said:
Is this confirmed, or "confirmed by valve"

Because valve also confirmed it didn't work as well. and then reconfirmed it does. and then said it wouldn't again.

Every piece of official info I've seen on it is contradictory. so i'm curious if anyone has actually tried this yet.
One of my friends told me this, he used the code on PC just to see if it works, and it did. The only difference is that steam knows this is a code that came with PS3 copy because it says "Your Portal 2 PC - PS3 Retail product code has been successfully activated" after redeeming the code on PC.

Wanted to let you know that you should avoid the official steam forums as well, I was just greeted by the ending spoiler on a thread subject, people are posting the ending on account suicide.
At first I thought it was someone joking but then I refreshed the page and the thread was gone, so I am pretty sure I just got the end spoiled, GREAT!!!!

wow, a lot of youtube portal 2 playthroughs have already been taken out, and uploaders banned. just when i thought i could observe these players for some human behaviour analysis.

gdt

Oh god I can't wait.

Just have some quick questions.

Does this have gamepad support? Will this laptop (HP Pavilion DV6 Quad Core with 6770M) run this game better than my PS3 would?

Symphonic

CortanaV said:
Sorry if this was posted already, and this is a lot of stuff a lot of us probably already know, but he's a little throwback to pre-portal days.

Click.

I never knew the details on the individual Narbacular team members. That's unbelievably awesome. Valve continues to surprise me sometimes with their business attitude; they really are a great company.

Also, lol at "In the room was this story's fairy godmother, Gabe Newell".

abunai

gdt5016 said:
Oh god I can't wait.

Just have some quick questions.

Does this have gamepad support? Will this laptop (HP Pavilion DV6 Quad Core with 6770M) run this game better than my PS3 would?

Yes for gamepad support.

e: i'm tired and can't read, yes you'll run it fine.

just got the PS3 version, a long-ass "installing trophies" :p

will post some impressions later, but if you have any questions regarding the PS3 copy, shoot.

Crisis

Banned
Noisepurge said:

will post some impressions later, but if you have any questions regarding the PS3 copy, shoot.

Just want to know how well it runs on PS3.

traveler

Not Wario
Ah crap. Waited too long. Amazon order is already prepping for shipping and I can't handle charging it and a copy tomorrow on my debit account. Don't have to do squat tomorrow, so I really wanted to cancel and see if I could find a similarly good deal instore to pick up in the morning. Release date shipping normally doesn't arrive at my house until 5 P.M. and I'll be busy in the evening so it might as well get here Wednesday.

Ferrio

Banned
http://www.redbubble.com/people/meganlara/t-shirts/7041337-chell-nouveau

work.7041337.2.fig,asphalt,mens,fbfbfb.chell-nouveau-v3.jpg

Crisis said:
Just want to know how well it runs on PS3.

framerate is very solid, controls smooth, some jaggies all around and visual glitches like seeing portals through walls ;D

but still very enjoyable!

Steam interface works nice too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Noisepurge said:

Let's hear some performance and loading impressions. Lengthy loading screens? How is the framerate? Image quality? I'm just curious to see how it turned out.

dark10x said:
Let's hear some performance and loading impressions. Lengthy loading screens? How is the framerate? Image quality? I'm just curious to see how it turned out.

performs very well, the initial load times are long but the ones between levels are nothing too long, but load times still. (around 15 seconds)

Image quality is very good and sharp.

Glitch or not? can see the orange portal through walls. But i don't know if this is actually a feature?
portal2_glitch.jpg

Roody

Neo Member
Noisepurge said:
Glitch or not? can see the orange portal through walls. But i don't know if this is actually a feature?
Feature, actually. So you can tell where you've placed portals if you misplace one. :p

Noisepurge said:
performs very well, the initial load times are long but the ones between levels are nothing too long, but load times still. (around 15 seconds)

portal2_glitch.jpg
Not a glitch. It's a new feature.

FinFan

Noisepurge said:

Is it L1 and R1 or L2 and R2 to shoot?

LProtag

Argh, had my PS3 version sent to my house (I'm an hour away at college) so that I wouldn't play too much while I'm doing a bunch of final work.

Well, turns out I'm horribly sick and got extensions and won't be able to do much work at all. Would have been really nice to be able to play the game while I'm recovering and resting.

Noisepurge said:

portal2_glitch.jpg

That is meant to be seen I believe so you can quickly tell where your portals are

MNC

squicken said:
So on the PC, what is "multicore rendering"? Should I enable it? Also, should I enable bloom? Is bloom only for people who can't run HDR?
Why are you asking these questions are you playing it what what what

Enable multi-core rendering if you have a processor with multiple cores. It'll put the stress on these cores evenly to provide for a smoother gameplay experience.

If you enable HDR, I think it auto enables bloom. Normally, bloom is just the bright lights on light surfaces, HDR is the automatic adjustment of the light as if looking at it with real eyes (and/or depth of field sometimes)

However, in the source engine, I myself could never understand how these options work. I enable bloom and HDR always, but it autodisables bloom next time I start the options even though it's there.

Plasmid

picking up my copy tomorrow, i won't get to touch it until friday though, which sucks, i wish my damn xbox would get here faster. :(.

webrunner

Decarb said:
One of my friends told me this, he used the code on PC just to see if it works, and it did. The only difference is that steam knows this is a code that came with PS3 copy because it says "Your Portal 2 PC - PS3 Retail product code has been successfully activated" after redeeming the code on PC.

And this is a different steam account then the one being used on the PS3 to play coop? and these two steam accoutns can coop together?

Noisepurge said:

Whats the supported res on the back of the box. Any 1080 at all.

see5harp

snoopeasystreet said:
Valve could probably leverage the fact that they're free on PS3 to get them free on 360. I think Criterion did this with the Burnout Paradise updates.

The Burnout Paradise updates (at least the main ones) were to add in game soundtracks and trophies. That wasn't necessary on 360. They charged for the island DLC on both PS3 and 360. I imagine any substantial levels will probably be paid content on 360, but maybe they get around it someway using a clumsy in game portal like Super Meat Boy.

aeolist

Banned
Multicore rendering on Source has been extremely buggy for me and never provided a performance boost. Maybe they updated it for Portal 2 but I'd leave it disabled.

Forkball

I saw a Portal 2 billboard today. Nice to see Valve pushing this game so hard. Although I'm surprised people still used billboards in 2011.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
see5harp said:
The Burnout Paradise updates (at least the main ones) were to add in game soundtracks and trophies. That wasn't necessary on 360. They charged for the island DLC on both PS3 and 360. I imagine any substantial levels will probably be paid content on 360, but maybe they get around it someway using a clumsy in game portal like Super Meat Boy.

the first game content update was free and was alongside the trophy patch. 360 got it as well. They added additional trophies/achievements. Cagney Update.

The bike update was also free and added trophies/achievements.

Top Bottom