• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

TheExodu5

Banned
scorpscarx said:
I probably shouldn't post this here as people will no doubt think I'm trolling or something stupid like that... but I really wan't to know why people are so in love with Portal 1/2.

To me its a really good 3d puzzle game that lasted 2 hours and has a good song at the end that I played once and got for free.

Sure the second is longer, but the most fun I had in the game was falling endlessly in a portal for a couple of seconds....

The whole portal thing was also an old mechanic to me considering I played Prey, first.

Why do you like Portal?

Did you play it at launch like me, where the game files were bugged and you didnt' have any dialogue for the whole game?

KScorp

scorpscarx said:
I probably shouldn't post this here as people will no doubt think I'm trolling or something stupid like that... but I really wan't to know why people are so in love with Portal 1/2.

To me its a really good 3d puzzle game that lasted 2 hours and has a good song at the end that I played once and got for free.

Sure the second is longer, but the most fun I had in the game was falling endlessly in a portal for a couple of seconds....

The whole portal thing was also an old mechanic to me considering I played Prey, first.

Why do you like Portal?

I like the puzzles. I like the portal mechanics. I like the little story it had. I loved GLaDOS' dialogue.
And I liked companion cube.

Portal 2 is a massive upgrade to Portal 1 at the very least, and I definitely didn't get enough in the short two hours it takes to beat the first one.

jayb

Plasmid said:
What's the best deal on the PS3 version? I'm double dipping since i won't have a 360 for a while <3.

Plus steam is always a good choice.

Portal 2 deal roundup from CAG:
$54.99 + $20 credit ($34.99 PC) at Amazon
$44.99/$34.99 + $10 gift card at Best Buy
Custom skins for Atlus & P-bod co-op play at GameStop
$15 gift card with Portal 2 or Mortal Kombat purchase, buy both, get a $50 card at Toys R Us
$20 gift card at Walmart

I am pretty far on the xbox 360 version, and I'm loving it. I think that pretty soon I'm going to need a coop partner. So if anyone wants to do coop later this week send me a PM. My gamertag is biggkidd32.

scorpscarx said:

Why do you like Portal?

So...you know what? I'm not even going to bother.

Plasmid

jayb said:
Portal 2 deal roundup from CAG:
$54.99 + $20 credit ($34.99 PC) at Amazon
$44.99/$34.99 + $10 gift card at Best Buy
Custom skins for Atlus & P-bod co-op play at GameStop
$15 gift card with Portal 2 or Mortal Kombat purchase, buy both, get a $50 card at Toys R Us
$20 gift card at Walmart

Amazon doesn't do prime shipping to a po box. fuck. :(((((. i really don't want to pay 65.00 but it seems i'm gonna have to no matter where i go for 1 day shipping.

Awesome Animals said:
So...you know what? I'm not even going to bother.

I'm not trolling and please explain, my neighbor just gives me the whole, characters that stick with you, puzzle speech.

I'm down with that also and really enjoyed the game, but meh.

Basically I'm trying to get you guys to sell Portal 2 to me because I want to buy a new Steam game. :)

scorpscarx said:
I'm not trolling and please explain, my neighbor just gives me the whole, characters that stick with you, puzzle speech.

Basically I'm trying to get you guys to sell Portal 2 to me because I want to buy a new Steam game. :)

Did you enjoy the portal mechanic? Just because it has been done more than once, doesn't mean it gets old. You say you enjoyed the game, shouldn't that be enough to make Portal 2 worth checking out?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
you beat Portal 1 in two hours on your first playthrough?

I guess it's possible, I rarely sit down for two hours at a time anymore :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well for me it's a unique puzzle fps that's very polished. Just because I'm hyped for it doesn't mean I see it as the second coming of jesus.

vocab

scorpscarx said:

Do you like half life? Portal is the perfect half life universe side story until they make a lamar spinoff. I feel bad for anyone who played portal before half life.

MNC

I think I'll do a Portal speedrun soon. Just for the heck of it. Maybe make it a small competition with a classmate. It seems perfect for speedrunning!

rhino4evr

Gamefly just shipped my ps3 version.

HYPE!!

So I guess there is a hold on reviews? I haven't seem one. Oh well, can't wait till it gets here.

I'll get it down the road, just don't understand Portal hype.

Yeah I beat Portal 1 in my first playthrough in 2 hours 12 minutes, thats another reason I don't understand it, It was really easy for me.

I'm an old school valve gamer but Portal to me like Vocab said is just a spinoff.

The auxilary power is counting down right now!

10:50 - Engaging starch-based power cells
11:00 - Reboot safety test protocol initiated...
11:00 - Relaxation chamber locks released...
11:00 - Involuntary hazard mitigation associates have assumed testing positions...
11:00 - Pre-release lethality assessment initiated...

Corky said:
Well for me it's a unique puzzle fps that's very polished. Just because I'm hyped for it doesn't mean I see it as the second coming of jesus.

I don't either, but only because I'm Jewish.

So I consider it the direct incarnation of Hashem, creator of all things.

Symphonic

scorpscarx said:
I'll get it down the road, just don't understand Portal hype.

Yeah I beat Portal 1 in my first playthrough in 2 hours 12 minutes, thats another reason I don't understand it, It was really easy for me.

I'm an old school valve gamer but Portal to me like Vocab said is just a spinoff.

It came at a time where most games completely lacked the dark humor that a lot of older games had. It became a meme the second it hit people's computers and that propelled it all across the internet into multiple spotlights.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
webrunner said:
This is what's wrong with video cards today

a gtx 590 is probably a badgillion times better than the FX 5900 ULTRA. Makes sense doesn't it? :D

brandonh83 said:
Gamefly just shipped this, wonder how long it will take to get here. It's my first order from that service.

I got REALLY annoyed when I had their premium service some years back, where as netflix you get your shit in a day or two, Gamefly took 4-6 and even though I could rent 4 at a time and had new releases queue'd to the front for months, I never got them first and it usually took 2 weeks to play get them.

Depends on where you live in relation to their small handful of distribution centers. They have that listed on their site somewhere.

Zzoram

webrunner said:
This is what's wrong with video cards today

That's always how it's been though. The 2nd number in the video card is the real indicator of it's relative performance for the generation, the first number just tells you the generation.

580 > 480
480 > 560
560 > 460
460 > 550

SamBishop

Banned
rhino4evr said:
Gamefly just shipped my ps3 version.

HYPE!!

So I guess there is a hold on reviews? I haven't seem one. Oh well, can't wait till it gets here.

Yeah, we're embargoed until tomorrow. Our review copy showed up Saturday and it was the best weekend ever. Just a few more hours until the press can spill its guts...

DownWithTheShip said:
The auxilary power is counting down right now!

10:50 - Engaging starch-based power cells
11:00 - Reboot safety test protocol initiated...
11:00 - Relaxation chamber locks released...
11:00 - Involuntary hazard mitigation associates have assumed testing positions...
11:00 - Pre-release lethality assessment initiated...

Holy shit, the potatos are being eaten and the steam page lists 9 active test subjects.

scorpscarx said:
I got REALLY annoyed when I had their premium service some years back, where as netflix you get your shit in a day or two, Gamefly took 4-6 and even though I could rent 4 at a time and had new releases queue'd to the front for months, I never got them first and it usually took 2 weeks to play get them.

Depends on where you live in relation to their small handful of distribution centers. They have that listed on their site somewhere.

Damn I've heard nothing but bad news about Gamefly. I'll see how this goes before I cancel.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, got Portal2 preloaded, and replayed a bit of Portal1 on my computer.
Portal1 runs EXCELLENTLY at medium/high at 800x480. 60fps of above, definitely.

I hope I can get similar performance from Portal2. Pretty much just the framerate I care about. I can't imagine it will be vastly, vastly different, but there are gonna be a lot my physics things so I doubt it will be as smooth. Though guess I can just drop the detail even lower if it is not up to snuff.

Symphonic

Jtwo said:
Alright, got Portal2 preloaded, and replayed a bit of Portal1 on my computer.
Portal1 runs EXCELLENTLY at medium/high at 800x480. 60fps of above, definitely.

I hope I can get similar performance from Portal2. Pretty much just the framerate I care about. I can't imagine it will be vastly, vastly different, but there are gonna be a lot my physics things so I doubt it will be as smooth. Though guess I can just drop the detail even lower if it is not up to snuff.

800x480? Are you playing it on a toaster?

Red UFO said:
Pretty certain that card will be fine.

IIRC it's an upgraded version of the 8600, which was a fairly shit card from the get go.

You should be fine at lower resolution and low details I think. How do other Source games run? Give Alien Swarm a shot.

Jasoco

Banned
I wish I could buy the Mac version then get the PS3 version free later. Or can I even buy the retail PS3 version and activate my free Mac version without having a PS3? I don't have one, don't know when I can get one, but don't want to miss out on a free version.

traveler

Not Wario
The portal mechanics in Portal and Prey are hardly comparable. Portals in Prey are basically doors by another name, while Portals in Portal are tools that really flex the possibilities of such a mechanic. Also, you said the game was just a "really good puzzle game"- am I missing something or should that not be enough justification right there for why people love it? Is a really good puzzle game somehow inferior to a really good game of another genre? I'm confused.

Lastly, while people do make a lot of noise about the writing and story (which is, granted, better than 99% of games) it really is the ingenious mechanic of utilizing placed portals to solve puzzles that gives the game its appeal to me. I thought the first was great but slightly overrated as it really felt like the game was a tutorial for about 2/3 of it. I'm sure this won't be the case with the sequel as we have much more to look forward to in terms of run length, additional mechanics, and difficulty ramp up.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Jasoco said:
I wish I could buy the Mac version then get the PS3 version free later. Or can I even buy the retail PS3 version and activate my free Mac version without having a PS3? I don't have one, don't know when I can get one, but don't want to miss out on a free version.
Well you can probably create a PSN account, borrow someone elses PS3 to tie the accounts and use the code, then have the disk around for when you do get a PS3.

big ander

Whoa, what's this with Glados@home eating the potatoes? Bar looks close-ish, think people can step up and get it released late tonight?
And something I don't get: projected release right now is about 2:30 AM central. Wouldn't it come out at around 2AM central (assuming 12AM pacific release) without the "pre-launch"?

gregor7777 said:
IIRC it's an upgraded version of the 8600, which was a fairly shit card from the get go.

You should be fine at lower resolution and low details I think. How do other Source games run? Give Alien Swarm a shot.

well im not really a pc gamer but i saw earlier somebody said it does have controller support so i fig if itll play better on my pc than my ps3 i'll give it a shot seeing as the pc copy is included free

the portal demo has crazy screen tear for me:(

Yen

Just finished Portal 1 for the first time. All I can say is
I'm still alive
. I loved everything about the cam

traveler said:
The portal mechanics in Portal and Prey are hardly comparable. Portals in Prey are basically doors by another name, while Portals in Portal are tools that really flex the possibilities of such a mechanic. Also, you said the game was just a "really good puzzle game"- am I missing something or should that not be enough justification right there for why people love it? Is a really good puzzle game somehow inferior to a really good game of another genre? I'm confused.

I just knew someone was going to state that, so predictable, a portal is a portal.

I think it's something deep rooted inside me that says that puzzles aren't games. Even like the early 80's there was an actual puzzle, Jinga, rubix cube or something. Then there were games, like Hungry hungry hippo.

So for me theres a "puzzle" then theres a "game." Usually when there combined for me I'm never excited for it.

Puzzle?!? --exhale, Game!?! --tell me more. Thats just me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
loblaw said:
800x480? Are you playing it on a toaster?
More or less. A 4 year old MacbookPro.

I actually thought Portal1 looked decent enough at the settings it was running at, so if P2 can run in the ballpark I'll be happy as a clam.

KScorp

scorpscarx said:
I just knew someone was going to state that, so predictable, a portal is a portal.

I think it's something deep rooted inside me that says that puzzles aren't games. Even like the early 80's there was an actual puzzle, Jinga, rubix cube or something. Then there were games, like Hungry hungry hippo.

So for me theres a "puzzle" then theres a "game." Usually when there combined for me I'm never excited for it.

Puzzle?!? --exhale, Game!?! --tell me more. Thats just me.

Games without puzzles are boring. I like games that require you to think to beat them. It's not like Portal has no action either, once you figure out exactly what to do (solve the puzzle) it can often still be a challenge to pull it off successfully.

Top Bottom