• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Koodo

Banned
Will the game unlock at midnight? (ignoring an earlier release)

I will have to use every fibre in my body to put off playing this game for all of Tuesday. After my Wednesday exam, I will sit on my ass all day to furiously indulge in this glorious event.

vocab

Best Buy shipped my copy. Amazon users will most likely get it before me, but I payed less so w/e. Amazon Prime Free two day/overnight > everything else.

scorpscarx said:
I'd rather play Mahjong than Portal.

I'll be playing it with yall anyways so don't give me anymore flak.

Id play Mahjong If I knew how to fucking play it!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
vocab said:
Best Buy shipped my copy. Amazon users will most likely get it before me, but I payed less so w/e. Amazon Prime Free two day/overnight > everything else.
Actually they had free release date shipping for this!

traveler

Not Wario
scorpscarx said:
I just knew someone was going to state that, so predictable, a portal is a portal.

I think it's something deep rooted inside me that says that puzzles aren't games. Even like the early 80's there was an actual puzzle, Jinga, rubix cube or something. Then there were games, like Hungry hungry hippo.

So for me theres a "puzzle" then theres a "game." Usually when there combined for me I'm never excited for it.

Puzzle?!? --exhale, Game!?! --tell me more. Thats just me.

But is it? What makes the portals in Prey functionally different from passages in any other game?

Also, regarding puzzles, that's a weird distinction my mind has fortunately never made. I'm sorry you can't enjoy puzzles just like any other games, but I don't see why the genre should be excluded from the ranks of strategy games, role-playing games, first person shooters, and other genres.

Alkohallick said:
well im not really a pc gamer but i saw earlier somebody said it does have controller support so i fig if itll play better on my pc than my ps3 i'll give it a shot seeing as the pc copy is included free

the portal demo has crazy screen tear for me:(

Try enabling vsync to eliminate the tearing.

A guys walks into a thread about a highly anticipated sequel to a beloved game, and announces that said game is too easy for him and not worth his time.
Seriously???

Twilight Princess said:
A guys walks into a thread about a highly anticipated sequel to a beloved game, and announces that said game is too easy for him and not worth his time.
Seriously???

So get back on your hype train, I fell off it and it sucks.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I've always wanted to try out Mahjong but it seems like everytime a game is released there's people saying "yeah, but this isn't really mahjong." Any reccomendations?

vocab

levious said:
I've always wanted to try out Mahjong but it seems like everytime a game is released there's people saying "yeah, but this isn't really mahjong." Any reccomendations?

You don't just try Mahjong. I read the 20-23 page manual for Mahjong in Yakuza 2, online guides, and watched Akagi. I still don't understand Mahjong. I think it's easier learning Go or Shogi at this point.

JADS

I might have a spare copy of Portal 1 laying around for the lone soul that doesn't have the game, yet. If anyone wants it quote this post.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Plasmid said:
Amazon doesn't do prime shipping to a po box. fuck. :(((((. i really don't want to pay 65.00 but it seems i'm gonna have to no matter where i go for 1 day shipping.
Do you have a real PO Box or a Student one? My college has an alternative address we can use for Fed Ex and UPS, so I can use prime after all.

(._.)

Banned
JADS said:
I might have a spare copy of Portal 1 laying around for the lone soul that doesn't have the game, yet. If anyone wants it quote this post.
I have a spare also to any full GAF member that hasn't played it yet.

post your steam page and I'll gift it.

rhino4evr

brandonh83 said:
Damn I've heard nothing but bad news about Gamefly. I'll see how this goes before I cancel.
I love gamefly, but I live in the same state as a distribution center..so I get my games within 3 days. I have played multiple AAA releases the week they were released. I have saved so much money considering the amount of games I play.

Plasmid

Drkirby said:
Do you have a real PO Box or a Student one? My college has an alternative address we can use for Fed Ex and UPS, so I can use prime after all.

i have to send it to my pobox i think lol. Doesn't matter, i'm just going to wait it out until thursday night to touch this glorious game.

Paznos

(._.) said:
I have a spare also to any full GAF member that hasn't played it yet.

post your steam page and I'll gift it.
Is there a way to link to my steam page or do I have to take a screenshot of it?

cnizzle06

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Jeez I forgot how short Portal is. Sure the first time around it took an evening to finish it. But it really flies by on a repeat playthrough.

I was surprised too. I beat it in around 2 hours last night and I hadn't played it in years.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
cnizzle06 said:
I was surprised too. I beat it in around 2 hours last night and I hadn't played it in years.
Yup, went through it again to get prepared for this and it flew by pretty quickly. I remember spending quite a while doing it the first time too.

scorpscarx said:
I'd rather play Mahjong than Portal.

I'll be playing it with yall anyways so don't give me anymore flak.
Okay. Now you're trolling. (If you weren't before.) First you were posting under the "convince me to buy this game" guise, but now you're saying you already made up your mind? What convinced you in the last several posts?

Currently installing on my Windows 7 partition. I have so much less space after installing Mass Effect 2 and now Portal 2 - going to have to remove one of them before I can put much else on.

Anyway, I've already preloaded the game on the Mac side, so I'll report back with performance comparisons sometime after the game is launched. It should be interesting as my laptop is nearly 2 years old now, so what may be a more slight performance difference for other machines will probably affect me more.

MrPliskin

Banned
For those who know, did Valve do a good job with the PS3 port? Also, is the load system the same (i.e. pause every two minutes to load something new).

Picked up my copy at Best Buy. The Northlanke Mall location in Atlanta, in case you're near it. Game is awesome so far. I haven't kept up with previews for this at all, so I'm interested to see all that's different from P1. So far, I've laughed out 3 times in the first hour, and that's probably one of the best compliments I can give any game.

MrPliskin said:
For those who know, did Valve do a good job with the PS3 port? Also, is the load system the same (i.e. pause every two minutes to load something new).

I don't know if it's the same for this game but are you talking about the loading mechanism in general?

Because it literally was nowhere near every 2 minutes.

the audio design in this game is fantastic. all the different little tunes that play, plus the voice acting is supremely good. visually, at least on 360 - the game is a little dissapointing. some of the texture work and environment detail are kinda meh (especially
the office environments are so bland - every office room looks the same
. in before 'source engine'.

Dax01 said:
Okay. Now you're *********?

Sorry your wrong, I stated before that I will get it down the line (aka the first sale).

You should probably stop being so defensive.

I ended the smack a while back, and anyway what I was interested in is why Portal appealed to people individually, and for the most part got it.

It sure is refreshing to see a correct widescreen FOV in a console game. :D

Also, the Steam integration is pretty slick. Sony needs to take notes on the fade-in text message notifications.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yay, Amazon shipped today, will be here by Friday. Excellente.

Revolutionary said:

Also, the Steam integration is pretty slick. Sony needs to take notes on the fade-in text message notifications.

Steam messages or PSN messages or same look for both?

cnizzle06

Banned
Revolutionary said:

You're getting me hard...

Alkohallick said:
Steam messages or PSN messages or same look for both?
The Steam messages pop up on the bottom right corner of the screen, and have a fade-in effect that is much nicer than the opaque grey crap that Sony uses.

EDIT: Don't get too excited, cnizzle. The integration is fairly barebones (Chat, Friends, Achievements, and a News section that makes you quit the game if you want to read articles... lol)... it just looks slick. Oh, what I'd give for a Steam PS3 app.

Oh, and it doesn't display the names of games that PC players are playing. Odd.

Replayed the original last night. I was surprised to see
the cjohnson6 or whatever login name in the Rat Man's first den.
I'd heard about it before, of course, but it was pretty cool seeing that after the Aperture investment videos.

So pumped for the sequel.

Top Bottom