• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Question on PS3 version...

So updates and such on steam are normally automatic and will run in the background as long as steam is running, so on PS3 i have to have portal 2 running to get updates or just have my PS3 on? (not a PS+ member btw)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have no clue. I would hope just the PS3, but I don't know what kind of hoop Valve may have had to jump though.

At the very least you should be getting patches 1:1 with the PC release.

Alkohallick said:
Question on PS3 version...

So updates and such on steam are normally automatic and will run in the background as long as steam is running, so on PS3 i have to have portal 2 running to get updates or just have my PS3 on? (not a PS+ member btw)
Pretty sure you'll have to have the game running to receive the updates. Steam doesn't run outside of the game... which is why Valve should make a Steam app for PS3! :)

Also, unrelated, but I'm an idiot. I forgot I pre-ordered the game for PS3 on Amazon ages ago, and just received an email that it's been shipped. Great. An extra PS3 copy. -_-

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Revolutionary said:
Pretty sure you'll have to have the game running to receive the updates. Steam doesn't run outside of the game... which is why Valve should make a Steam app for PS3! :)

Also, unrelated, but I'm an idiot. I forgot I pre-ordered the game for PS3 on Amazon ages ago, and just received an email that it's been shipped. Great. An extra PS3 copy. -_-
I wish Amazon shipped mine already. )<

squall23

Dax01 said:
Okay. Now you're trolling. (If you weren't before.) First you were posting under the "convince me to buy this game" guise, but now you're saying you already made up your mind? What convinced you in the last several posts?
Hey, the guy could very well be trolling, but mahjong is damn addicting. Especially if you're the only Chinese guy in an all white guys table >.>

jonabbey

Konig94 said:
Weird, I pre-ordered from amazon a while ago and it says it should be here tomorrow, but still hasn't shipped yet.

They keep details of package delivery secret for release date delivery for some reason.

so both my copy of Orange Box for 360 and Portal 2 will be here tomorrow, have already beat HL2 and Portal but not Ep 1 or 2, I know there was some talk that Ep 2 ends with hints leading to Portal 2, just curious if anyone would advise to play Ep1 and 2 before playing Portal 2, or will the stories not intertwine significantly?

Oni Jazar

Ahhh well I installed the PC version of Portal with the PS3 key but it won't unlock until everyone else.

It's works well enough on PS3. The textures are very low res but there's some gorgeous lighting and animation going on with no framerate issues.

GodfatherX said:
so both my copy of Orange Box for 360 and Portal 2 will be here tomorrow, have already beat HL2 and Portal but not Ep 1 or 2, I know there was some talk that Ep 2 ends with hints leading to Portal 2, just curious if anyone would advise to play Ep1 and 2 before playing Portal 2, or will the stories not intertwine significantly?
Without having played Portal 2, from what it looks like, you won't need to play Ep1 and Ep2 to follow Portal 2. I don't see how there are any hints in Eps 1 and 2 for Portal 2, but again, I haven't played the game.

Edit: You should still play the episodes though. Absolutely.

Edit 2: Just to be sure, I would play the episodes first.

GodfatherX said:

Episode 2 has something that deals with Portal and possibly Portal 2... no one knows aside from people who have played it how involved Portal 2 is with the Episode 2 reveal.

ShaunBRS

Oni Jazar said:
It's works well enough on PS3. The textures are very low res but there's some gorgeous lighting and animation going on with no framerate issues.
Is it 30fps, right, not 60? I guess it doesn't really matter either way if it's solid.

scorpscarx said:
I think it's something deep rooted inside me that says that puzzles aren't games. Even like the early 80's there was an actual puzzle, Jinga, rubix cube or something. Then there were games, like Hungry hungry hippo.

So for me theres a "puzzle" then theres a "game." Usually when there combined for me I'm never excited for it.

Puzzle?!? --exhale, Game!?! --tell me more. Thats just me.
i can empathize with you since the word 'puzzle' still puts me off from games just like 'dungeons' tends to. i almost always end up enjoying them because of what they are, though

your apathy towards Portal still baffles me. you're not a person who can be sold on it, btw. i have a friend who i'm afraid might be retarded now because he not only finds Portal completely boring, but feels the same way about Half-Life 2

I have viewed no media for this game other than a few pics that have popped up on steam. I am so psyched about this game it is untrue. Can't wait to find out what is instore.

Don't think i've ever gone total media blackout for a game before.

Roll on 6 hours time... (I have the day off work due to a flat viewing - so lucky)

totowhoa

Banned
Can somebody spoiler (with significant warning for others if its a big deal) what the Ep2 reference to Portal was? I finished Ep1 but never finished Ep2. I will one day, but not any time immediately, and I just wanna know what it was!

sflufan

Banned
Sklorenz said:
Can somebody spoiler (with significant warning for others if its a big deal) what the Ep2 reference to Portal was? I finished Ep1 but never finished Ep2. I will one day, but not any time immediately, and I just wanna know what it was!

The research icebreaking ship called "Borealis" that was referenced in Episode 2 was created by Aperture Science as a testbed for its portal technology.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Supposedly, the game would arrive to my local game store today after they closed. Now those people are telling me that I have to wait a freaking entire week to get the game.

All I can say is that I'm angry.

Protip: Don't sign onto your Steam account on both PC and PS3 simulatenously unless you want to annoy your friends with constant signing on and off.

Cruzader

Banned
Screwed myself on getting this game tomorrow :(

(Had this on AMazon preorder from weeks ago - canceled to not get charged 2x)

I wanted to jump to the BB deal but then today they dont offer pick-up for the game which would make it more expensive.

So I go back to Amazon and they dont offer release-date delivery anymore!

dLMN8R

sflufan said:
The research icebreaking ship called "Borealis" that was referenced in Episode 2 was created by Aperture Science as a testbed for its portal technology.
Just the constant reference to "portal storms" was enough to convince me...

sflufan

Banned
dLMN8R said:
Just the constant reference to "portal storms" was enough to convince me...

But the portal storm references involve the aftermath of the Black Mesa incident, nothing really to do with Aperture's portal experiments.

zychi

Banned
If anyone has beaten the game already I have a question for them in the final chapter. Please pm me so no accidental spoilers are in the thread.

Revolutionary said:
Hmm, well I was running a game on the PC as well (Killing Floor - trying to unlock my damn PC copy!). Maybe that was what caused it?

perhaps....

btw, did you finished sp???

wanna give me your psn so we can play some mp??? :3

jackdoe

Appollowexx said:
I have viewed no media for this game other than a few pics that have popped up on steam. I am so psyched about this game it is untrue. Can't wait to find out what is instore.
There really isn't a lot of media. I've been looking for media to try to decide if I wanted to day one this sucker (I liked Portal 1, but not enough to want to blind buy a sequel as a stand alone game), but there is a lack of info. Reviews will be coming at 3:00 AM eastern though.

(._.)

Banned
I'm having to download it again. Steam fucked up and I had to delete everything. This is fucking horrible. Wanted to play it tonight. hope it finishes in time for when it unlocks.

Is gamestop the only one doing in-game bonus content? I really don't want to do business with them, but look!

uWiGi.jpg

LProtag

kai3345 said:
yuh Amazon shows mine as shipped

Also how do you redeem the $20 in credit they give out as the preorder bonus?

You don't get it for another two days. And when you go to order something next off Amazon they should give you the option of using the credit.

QuantumBro said:
God damn it some asshole just spoiled a twist for me. Not going into anymore detail just beware of youtube comments.

Damn you spoiled that there's a twist, you spoiled a spoilers spoiler, shit.

Top Bottom