• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Verboten said:
Is gamestop the only one doing in-game bonus content? I really don't want to do business with them, but look!

uWiGi.jpg
would you rather have that...or $20 credit at amazon?

the choice was very easy for me

Pyrokai

Amazon shipped mine today, and I just tracked it on FedEx and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow! I couldn't believe it! I wasn't expecting it until, like, Friday :p

Jasoco

Banned
Meier said:
Tempted to buy the PS3 version, unlock it on Steam then sell the PS3 copy...
Do you need to have a PS3 to unlock the PC/Mac version? Is the code inside the game case? Or does it need to actually talk to Valve to let you know you are a PS3 Steam user first? Because I will eventually have a PS3, but not for a while. But if I can just go buy the game itself and download it without needing to use a PS3, I'd do that.

MrPliskin

Banned
UltimaPooh said:
I don't know if it's the same for this game but are you talking about the loading mechanism in general?

Because it literally was nowhere near every 2 minutes.

You're right, I'm just remembering off the top of my head and it probably (certainly?) includes some hyperbole.

Either way, Portal 2 seems to fix that (so far) with no "stop" loading, but the elevators aren't the same. Before they took me from place to place with no loading, now there's a load screen instead of me wandering around shooting portals aimlessly and watching the pretty sparks.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jasoco said:
Do you need to have a PS3 to unlock the PC/Mac version? Is the code inside the game case? Or does it need to actually talk to Valve to let you know you are a PS3 Steam user first? Because I will eventually have a PS3, but not for a while. But if I can just go buy the game itself and download it without needing to use a PS3, I'd do that.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5477-WPJM-9388

Wording of that makes me think you have to have a PS3 to do it.

jackdoe

I just decided to jump on the bus. $40 for the PC version with $20 in GC at Best Buy sounded like a fair offer for a game that I will probably enjoy. Shame I waited this long though since Store Pickup is no longer available.

Sanic

elohel said:
could I get this at wal mart at midnight? maybe?

Should be able to. Just ask an employee to bring a copy out of the back if they aren't already out on the sales floor somewhere.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
elohel said:
could I get this at wal mart at midnight? maybe?

Yes. Keep in mind that the PC version will not work until valve unlocks it through steam and the ARG silliness (Which looks like it will probably be Midnight EST)

Jasoco said:

Why don't you just get a gaffer to go on their ps3 and create you a psn account and redeem your code that way. Just make sure it's someone you can trust and enable steam guard so they can get on it on the PC.

DrForester said:
Any reviews indicate game length without going into plot details for the Single Player?
It's going to take most people 7-8 hours, more if you get really stuck with no FAQ to consult like I did twice.

MrPliskin

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Yeah, you have to unlock it via PS3. Enter the code in PS3 and it'll link it with your Steam account.

False. You link your PSN and Steam accounts, then log into Steam via your PC and enter the code there.

Basically when you link the accounts, it adds "Portal 2" to your steam account, and you have to use the unlock key (included in the box) to play it.

gwarm01

I'm sure this has been asked several times, but hell, the thread is 38 pages long. Are Steam cloud saves compatible between the PS3 and PC? My wife likes me to be out in the living room with her when she's home rather than cooped up on my computer, so it'd be nice to be able to pick up where I left off.

big ander

DrForester said:
(Which looks like it will probably be Midnight EST)
Really? It's looking like about 2:10 EST to me. It's 10:48 EST with 3 hours 22 minutes to go.
But this countdown is confusing as all hell so idk.

big ander said:
Really? It's looking like about 2:10 EST to me. It's 10:48 EST with 3 hours 22 minutes to go.
Super Meat Boy and Killing Floor are about to finish and they will knock about an hour off the release time.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
big ander said:

I'm working under the assumption that the other game will have finished by then, and that the entire thing was rigged to unlock at Midnight EST the whole time no matter what anyone bought and played.

jackdoe

DrForester said:
I'm working under the assumption that the other game will have finished by then, and that the entire thing was rigged to unlock at Midnight EST the whole time no matter what anyone bought and played.
That would mean people got trolled. I mean, if it doesn't unlock at midnight anyway, people still got trolled.

XAL

gwarm01 said:
I'm sure this has been asked several times, but hell, the thread is 38 pages long. Are Steam cloud saves compatible between the PS3 and PC? My wife likes me to be out in the living room with her when she's home rather than cooped up on my computer, so it'd be nice to be able to pick up where I left off.

I'm pretty sure I read that you won't be able to do that.

gwarm01 said:
Al my playtimes and achievements got in the ps3 can be seen, so I suppose the saves also should be loaded...

TheExodu5

Banned
DrForester said:

I think it will unlock at some semi randomly chosen time after midnight, like 12:43AM or something like that. To make it seem legit, of course.

Oh well. I'M EXCITED!

CyReN

JodyAnthony said:
my "launch day delivery" PS3 copy from Amazon is still "Shipping soon" :/

Same, I've only had them not give me the game not on launch day once. Got a $10 gift card though:)

Nizz

JodyAnthony said:
my "launch day delivery" PS3 copy from Amazon is still "Shipping soon" :/
That's weird. I just checked Amazon and the game has shipped. PS3 copy and release date delivery also. Got the tracking number and everything.

RedSwirl

Other than the commercial and original E3 trailer, I have not seen one second of footage from Portal 2. I have successfully gone total media blackout on this thing.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
purple cobra said:
That's weird. I just checked Amazon and the game has shipped. PS3 copy and release date delivery also. Got the tracking number and everything.
Same mine shipped pretty late but I can still expect it tomorrow.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
jackdoe said:
That would mean people got trolled. I mean, if it doesn't unlock at midnight anyway, people still got trolled.

This whole thing wasn't about releasing the game early. It was letting steam users pay $40 for a pack of games and the honor of playing Valves new game on Valves Stem works at the same time as people who just go to Walmart at Midnight.

my copy of portal 2 is in transit to Louisville from Lexington, if previous UPS delivery patterns hold true it should be at my door by noon..unfortunately I have to work 2nd shift and wont get to play it until 3am :(

Top Bottom